Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

(Alex) Smith makes it too easy for defenses
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28, 29  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rudyZ

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoCalNiner wrote:
49ersfan wrote:
Alex was 7/8 for 72 yards and 1 TD in limited time. He also had a 4th down conversion on a QB sneak.

Overall, i think he played well. He was shaky in the first series with a bad sack, and he had a bad pass to Manningham on the next series, but he buckled down and started playing well. Sure, a lot of it was YAC, but i won't hate on the guy for producing.

Crabs became invisible after Alex was injured.

Yes, he did well after that first series. I hope his injury isn't bad and won't keep him away for a game.

Alex can't miss a game. I don't think Kaepernick can beat the Bears.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
SoCalNiner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
SoCalNiner wrote:
49ersfan wrote:
Alex was 7/8 for 72 yards and 1 TD in limited time. He also had a 4th down conversion on a QB sneak.

Overall, i think he played well. He was shaky in the first series with a bad sack, and he had a bad pass to Manningham on the next series, but he buckled down and started playing well. Sure, a lot of it was YAC, but i won't hate on the guy for producing.

Yes, he did well after that first series. I hope his injury isn't bad and won't keep him away for a game.

Alex can't miss a game. I don't think Kaepernick can beat the Bears.

I know that I'll probably eat my words, but the Bears don't scare me too much. They haven't faced anyone with a winning record, and they struggled mightily against the Texans even with Cutler.

I obviously like our chances a lot more with Alex, but I think we'll be alright with Kap at the helm. Our defense is a much bigger worry for me, we weren't able to stop the Rams at all, and the Bears are more potent.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If our run defense doesn't get it together, it will be a long day. How do we cover Marshall? We did good on Fitzgerald but Cutler if he plays will give him plenty of chances. Even though he is basically their only option at WR, Hester's speed will always make me nervous. Now, how do we get anything going offensively? Foster ran the ball well but they did pretty good after the 1st half. We will have our chances on the outside one on one but they have a play making secondary. Don't turn it over and we have a good chance to win. Still think we need Smith to win though.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last 2 games: 25/27, 304 yards, 92.6% completion, 4 TD, 0 INT, 10.5 YPA

157 QBR against ARI, 143 QBR today before being injured.

He was taking too many sacks the last 2 weeks (6), but other than that he was playing at a high level, a winning level.

The thing with concussions is there is no set timeline. Joe Staley played 4 days after his concussion, Jahvid Best suffered a concussion 13 months ago and still hasn't been cleared. It's really wait and see with Alex.

The good news is, Harbaugh is a top QB coach and Kaep has a lot of physical talent. His first game today was very comparable to Alex's first start under Harbaugh, and Alex improved with time under Harbaugh, and I believe Kaep can too. But Alex definitely gives our team the best chance to win. Priority #1 for now is him getting 100% healthy.
-Not taking this off until the 49ers win #6
Ataal

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With that Bears defense, I think we need a "game manager" to win. We cannot turn the ball over. We're basically playing our own defense from 2011 on Monday. Kaep has shown that, while he has a cannon for an arm, his ball protection leaves a lot to be desired. Tillman will have a field day.

I know it's said every week before a game, but this time, we really need to put some scores up quickly and make Jay Cutler beat us through the air. While he can air it out with the best of them, he can also be a turnover machine. We've been struggling against good RB's this year, so we can't let Forte get a rhythm going. They'll beat us to death on the ground if they're up by a couple touchdowns.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ataal wrote:
With that Bears defense, I think we need a "game manager" to win. We cannot turn the ball over. We're basically playing our own defense from 2011 on Monday. Kaep has shown that, while he has a cannon for an arm, his ball protection leaves a lot to be desired. Tillman will have a field day.

I know it's said every week before a game, but this time, we really need to put some scores up quickly and make Jay Cutler beat us through the air. While he can air it out with the best of them, he can also be a turnover machine. We've been struggling against good RB's this year, so we can't let Forte get a rhythm going. They'll beat us to death on the ground if they're up by a couple touchdowns.

Amen to all of this! The Bear's D is nasty and eats TOs like we used to... Confused
scraly47*

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ataal wrote:

Knowing cutler's history with concussions, maybe he will miss the game?

-Lork
SoCalNiner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scraly47* wrote:
Ataal wrote:

Knowing cutler's history with concussions, maybe he will miss the game?

I highly doubt it. While not a division game, it's still an important one for the Bears.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ersfan wrote:

Alex tends to focus too much on Crabs and safe short throws that Crabs gets YAC on. Sure Crabs is playing really well right now and is Alex's favorite receiver so he should look for him. But when he isn't open then what. Kap utilized all of his receivers so it didn't matter that Crabs didn't catch everyball. That says more about Alex being too unwilling to leave his comfort zone ( Crabs ). They niners had no problem moving the ball under Kap, rather it was the defense that let them down in this game. A game manager in this game would have ended in a loss for the niners, especially now that last years reliable kicker is not that reliable anymore.
49ers Finest

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can we change the title to the alex smith thread?
its like were dissing him Laughing

Quote:
Cam Inman@CamInman
#49ers QB Alex Smith doing much better, slept well, concussion symptoms were OK today, Jim Harbaugh reported

glad hes feeling okay. Very Happy

new sig... sorry alex
rudyZ

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ers Finest wrote:

Quote:
Cam Inman@CamInman
#49ers QB Alex Smith doing much better, slept well, concussion symptoms were OK today, Jim Harbaugh reported

We should change the title thread to "Alex Smith: The Eternal Debate"

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
49ers Finest wrote:

Quote:
Cam Inman@CamInman

We should change the title thread to "Alex Smith: The Eternal Debate"

I wonder if this forum (not the NFL General or any other) were able to keep every single Alex Smith-related/QB-discussion related post in one topic, just how many pages that topic would be at by now. I'd wager over 10,000.

Frank Gore Career Rushing List Tracker:

*Currently Ranked 26th All-Time
*Yards needed to pass #25, Eddie George: 51
*Yards needed to enter Top 20: 578
49ers Finest

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew he had a concussion before.
He had one against Dallas last year. And one in college. And now yesterday.
So three?

Anybody know if he had one in her first 5 seasons? Can't remember

new sig... sorry alex
y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming from this thread:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=15045277#15045277

big9erfan wrote:
I truly believe that unless Alex is clearly the best QB in the league many here will not be satisfied - and some will probably still be "looking for ways he can improve". I'm not suggesting he is the best QB in the league, or ever will be, but f I knew nothing at all about Alex and came to this forum and read the stuff in this thread I'd think I was reading about some guy having a so-so year, not the third highest rated QB in the league.

My question is - is it just people here? If you were to go to another forum (maybe the comparison forum) and pose a question regarding Alex, would it be only 49ers fans who would suggest he needs to improve? Is there anyone outside of this forum or associated with the 49ers who would suggest he's having a good to great year?

Frank Gore Career Rushing List Tracker:

*Currently Ranked 26th All-Time
*Yards needed to pass #25, Eddie George: 51
*Yards needed to enter Top 20: 578
big9erfan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:
would it be only 49ers fans who would suggest he needs to improve? Is there anyone outside of this forum or associated with the 49ers who would suggest he's having a good to great year?

The issue I'm talking about is not the "he needs to improve" comments. It's the ones that cropped up after his terrible Giants game suggesting he had "clearly regressed" and now those after a single decent game by our backup suggesting maybe he should replace our starter. I love Kap and think he'll be a very good starter some day, but suggesting replacing the third ranked QB in the league with a guy who now has one half of a game as a starter plus a few mop up or wildcat plays under his belt strikes me as the usual negative over reaction when it comes to Alex.

It's just my opinion so I"m not going to try to justify it - but it does seem to me that the criticisms, even when couched in terms of "we're only pointing out areas for improvement", do seem out of proportion to the level of his play this year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 27 of 29

Jump to: