Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Roger Goodell recused himself, Paul Tagliabue will step in
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
1BackInBlackFan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While you're at it Goodell, how about recusing yourself from being commisioner as well.

Many thanks to UniversalAuthor on the reigning MVP's sig!
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1BackInBlackFan wrote:
While you're at it Goodell, how about recusing yourself from being commisioner as well.

Yawn. Bitter fan that doesn't understand what is and isn't in the scope of Goodell's job is just that...

Moving on!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

titanrick wrote:

I'm still very confused at how a court had authority to invalidate sections of a collective bargaining agreement after a miniscule percentage on one side of the issue complains after the agreement that it's not fair.

I'm just wondering if sometime in the future this could rebound on the players in some way.What happens if the NFL decides they don't agree with something in the CBA and they go to court.
nugpimpen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
1BackInBlackFan wrote:

Yawn. Bitter fan that doesn't understand what is and isn't in the scope of Goodell's job is just that...

Moving on!

People that hate Roger Goodell... Saints fans and Steeler fans.

IDOG_det on the incredible sig!
spilltray

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keleth wrote:
titanrick wrote:

I'm still very confused at how a court had authority to invalidate sections of a collective bargaining agreement after a miniscule percentage on one side of the issue complains after the agreement that it's not fair.

I'm just wondering if sometime in the future this could rebound on the players in some way.What happens if the NFL decides they don't agree with something in the CBA and they go to court.

I almost wouldn't be surprised if, after dealing with the conduct detrimental punishments, the league turns back around and starts the process of hammering down punishments for the pay-for-performance system as well.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jakuvious

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly feel bad for Goodell at this point. Hopefully this at least lets him just move on from it.

And I really hate the hypocrisy of the NFLPA in all this. They don't have to blindly support the players, do they? It seems like they should be supporting punishment for intent to injury since they've simultaneously represented players complaining due to the lack of safety regulations on the league.

The selfishness just annoys me. You screwed up Vilma. Take it like a man, do your punishment, and move on. All this hiding behind lawyers and Twitter is pathetic.

Adopt-a-Chief: Brandon Flowers
45 Tackles, 1 sack, 1 Interception, 32 INT yards, 5 PDs
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jakuvious wrote:
And I really hate the hypocrisy of the NFLPA in all this. They don't have to blindly support the players, do they?
Well yes, they do. That's sort of their entire role in this system.
"The really important kind of freedom involves attention, and awareness, and discipline, and effort, and being able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them, over and over, in myriad petty little unsexy ways, every day.
tom cody

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope Tagliabue agrees with Goodell. People can dislike Goodell for whatever reason they choose but he made the right decision on this issue.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
Jakuvious wrote:
And I really hate the hypocrisy of the NFLPA in all this. They don't have to blindly support the players, do they?
I think his point is siding w/ players that are rewarding for injury over the players being injured.

But in the players mind this is a "them against the NFL" issue, and that's sad.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
Jakuvious

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
BaltimoreTerp wrote:
Jakuvious wrote:
I think his point is siding w/ players that are rewarding for injury over the players being injured.

This, basically. The goal of the NFLPA is to work for the betterment of the players, but what they're promoting in defending these few players is detrimental to that overall goal, IMO.

Adopt-a-Chief: Brandon Flowers
45 Tackles, 1 sack, 1 Interception, 32 INT yards, 5 PDs
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, but nothing will change

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
Jakuvious wrote:

Exactly. Their job, like any union, is to defend their constituents lock stock and barrel.

Thanks, Tzimisce
phinmun

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jakuvious wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
BaltimoreTerp wrote:
Jakuvious wrote:

This, basically. The goal of the NFLPA is to work for the betterment of the players, but what they're promoting in defending these few players is detrimental to that overall goal, IMO.

Absolutely! I agree 100% with that.

You can't fight for the safety of the players on one side and then stand up for a guy who's being charged with leading a group that's hurting players. That's complete hypocrisy.

I promise you that the NFLPA hates Vilma as much as anyone in all this. They are forced into supporting him yet in doing so make hypocrites of themselves and what they preach.

The NFLPA is between a rock and a hard place here.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phinmun wrote:
Jakuvious wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
BaltimoreTerp wrote:
Jakuvious wrote:

You can't fight for the safety of the players on one side and then stand up for a guy who's being charged with leading a group that's hurting players. That's complete hypocrisy.

I promise you that the NFLPA hates Vilma as much as anyone in all this. They are forced into supporting him yet in doing so make hypocrites of themselves and what they preach.

They've backed themselves into a corner. They've made a policy of fighting every suspension and painting Goddell as the devil. They left themselves in a lose-lose situation. They either back the suspensions and lose a battle against the devil, or they fight the suspensions and lose some of their credibility in the fight for long term medical benefits. The NFLPA would have been much better served by being Switzerland. Provided a union rep for the appeals, but made no public statements about the suspensions. I'll guarantee you, the NFLPA more than anybody else doesn't want this issue getting before a judge, b/c if that happens, the likelihood is the most damning of evidence the NFL has in the allegations will come to light. Everytime something else is revealed it looks worse.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
phinmun

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
phinmun wrote:
Jakuvious wrote:

They've backed themselves into a corner. They've made a policy of fighting every suspension and painting Goddell as the devil. They left themselves in a lose-lose situation. They either back the suspensions and lose a battle against the devil, or they fight the suspensions and lose some of their credibility in the fight for long term medical benefits. The NFLPA would have been much better served by being Switzerland. Provided a union rep for the appeals, but made no public statements about the suspensions. I'll guarantee you, the NFLPA more than anybody else doesn't want this issue getting before a judge, b/c if that happens, the likelihood is the most damning of evidence the NFL has in the allegations will come to light. Everytime something else is revealed it looks worse.

Yeah, I'm sure they're wishing now that they'd have done that. Then again, maybe that's not an option. Maybe they're pressed legally to defend Vilma to the end. That much, I'm not sure of. How much of a fight the NFLPA has to put up for Vilma, I don't know.

I feel quite honestly that the players involved have just handled this poorly. No different than Tiger Woods 2-years ago. They could have easily taken their suspensions, apologized, paid whatever fines the NFL laid out and moved on under the guise of some headline like, 'We never tried to injure any of our fellow players. We simply promoted a culture that supported big plays, exciting defense and team unity. It is our sincerest hope that the NFL, its fans and its players understand the distinction.'

I mean, do your due diligence, take it on the chin and cite other cases of this sort of thing (Reggie White) to make yourself appear more human and less evil. I mean, if a man of faith like the Minister of Defense did this sort of thing, it can't be evil, right? Laughing Handle it the right way and no one is out for more than half the season I bet, if at all.

Do it that way and the next day ESPN interviews players around the league saying they'd welcome Vilma and the other Saints on their team and you are ready to roll having handled everything much more efficiently than it has been.

I mean, by contesting this Vilma ultimately comes out having lost time, lost money and much more cloudy a character across the league. Fans are waiting around just to see Goodell crucify this guy thinking now that it's the only justifiable solution when in reality, they really don't care at all.

And I can only imagine now what other players are thinking about what might have been going on and how they would feel about welcoming a guy like that into their locker-room, let alone making him a Captain. Someone who gets in trouble with the league and can't resolve the issue has problems one way or the other, it doesn't matter how you slice it.

Regardless though, this notion of fighting 'defamation' in court is really not going to win out I don't think. Americans are notoriously quick to forgive, probably too quick, BUT they're also notoriously fickle and bored with stories that don't evolve. Whatever momentum Vilma thinks he has, he's losing it fast.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: