Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Roger Goodell recused himself, Paul Tagliabue will step in
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
titanrick

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spilltray wrote:
TheKillerNacho wrote:
Interesting... this certainly increases the Saints' chances at winning the appeal. To be honest, they need some kind of permanent role for this. Someone other than Goodell should be reviewing the appeals, always.

Then the NFLPA shouldn't have let Goodell be the person who hears appeals in the CBA. They have no legal ground to expect this and it's in large part their own fault.

I realize they did this to try and minimize scrutiny but I wish he would have handled it himself again just to make the point that he IS the final arbitrator.

I also don't really think this helps the Saints case at all. I'm expecting everything to be rubber stamped all over again.

Agree with all of that.

I'm still very confused at how a court had authority to invalidate sections of a collective bargaining agreement after a miniscule percentage on one side of the issue complains after the agreement that it's not fair.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titanrick wrote:
spilltray wrote:
TheKillerNacho wrote:
Interesting... this certainly increases the Saints' chances at winning the appeal. To be honest, they need some kind of permanent role for this. Someone other than Goodell should be reviewing the appeals, always.

Then the NFLPA shouldn't have let Goodell be the person who hears appeals in the CBA. They have no legal ground to expect this and it's in large part their own fault.

I realize they did this to try and minimize scrutiny but I wish he would have handled it himself again just to make the point that he IS the final arbitrator.

I also don't really think this helps the Saints case at all. I'm expecting everything to be rubber stamped all over again.

Agree with all of that.

I'm still very confused at how a court had authority to invalidate sections of a collective bargaining agreement after a miniscule percentage on one side of the issue complains after the agreement that it's not fair.

what happened was that the original penalties were stated to be for the entire program not just the pay-for-injury portion of it. The pay-for-performance would fall under a completely different punishment process where Goodell wouldn't be the one with the authority to issue penalties. They kicked it back to Goodell saying he had to specify and re evaluate the punishment based ONLY on the "conduct detrimental" portion and not have it as an all in one punishment including the pay-for-performance system. Goodell was more specific the second time around avoiding this loophole.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MNPackfan32

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feel bad for Saints fans. It's not something you want talked about, and they just keep rehashing this and its always the lead story. I am ready for all of this garbage to end.

Duff Man wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:
Josh Sitton, Mike Daniels

Average at best
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone that thinks that Tags will be more lenient then Goodell is delusional. Tags will go strictly by the evidence and if that evidence is damning then Vilma can kiss his career goodbye.

EverythingSF wrote:
But I do feel Alex is better than Rivers and we may as well not even argue over it here because I am pretty sure neither will change the others mind.
El ramster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul man.. Loved that guy, Haven't heard his name in a WHILE..

BBL

mozwanted wrote:
I'm beginning to like the rg3 trade
scar988

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boltstrikes wrote:
Anyone that thinks that Tags will be more lenient then Goodell is delusional. Tags will go strictly by the evidence and if that evidence is damning then Vilma can kiss his career goodbye.

This ^

People forget that Tags was stricter in terms of enforcing penalties than Goodell is.

Dirty Bird Watch: DL Jonathan Babineaux
BillsGuy82

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
I wonder what the excuse will be if Tagliabue enforces the decisions?

Exactly .. Uphold suspensions and move on.. Put the situation to bed finally.

As a die hard fan of this league I'm sick of hearing this on every Pre-Game show and all over NFL network.
bucsfan333

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quit following this mess a long time ago. I just want it to end so I can quit hearing about it.
justo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tagliabue>>>

#FREEBARRINGTON
titanrick

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spilltray wrote:
what happened was that the original penalties were stated to be for the entire program not just the pay-for-injury portion of it. The pay-for-performance would fall under a completely different punishment process where Goodell wouldn't be the one with the authority to issue penalties. They kicked it back to Goodell saying he had to specify and re evaluate the punishment based ONLY on the "conduct detrimental" portion and not have it as an all in one punishment including the pay-for-performance system. Goodell was more specific the second time around avoiding this loophole.

Thanks for clarifying that for me. Makes more sense and I hadn't heard it explained that way before.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was good on Goddell's part to allow somebody else to decide the appeal, he doesn't have to, so he's doing it in the interest of getting this whole issue done and over with.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
spilltray

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
I think it was good on Goddell's part to allow somebody else to decide the appeal, he doesn't have to, so he's doing it in the interest of getting this whole issue done and over with.

I do see that point, I just think it opens the door to a whine fest every time, when the players agreed to his complete authority both handing out the punishments and handling the appeals over "conduct detrimental" situations just last year.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sp6488

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
navysaintsfan wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
I wonder what the excuse will be if Tagliabue enforces the decisions?

There will be none...and we can finally all get on with our lives. I just want this story to be in the past.
Ha. We should be so lucky.

The rabble rousers will be out in full force either way: If Tagliabue upholds Goodell's ruling, then people will complain that it was collusion/Tagliabue was acting as Goodell's lackey. If he is more lenient on the players, then people will use it as evidence to further undermine Goodell's credibility.

100% agree.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goodell sucks so bad. He's just chickening out and putting it on someone else. Horrible. Should be fired.

That's sarcasm by the way. Goodell made the right call here and shows that he actually does care unlike what so many think.

Kempes on the custom sig!
X_Factor_40

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They need to speed this process up and get it over with.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: