Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

lomaxgr's all 22/endzone gametape review - Week 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
broncos67

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lomax, can you go over what happened on the Tony Carter pick. I could see it pretty clear, but it'd be nicer to see it from the full view.

Thanks mang.

Thanks, Tzimisce
AKRNA

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lomaxgr wrote:
AKRNA wrote:
lomaxgr wrote:

* On that play where Gates screened for his WR, the Chargers LT (Harris) got away with the most blatant block in the back you will ever see. I can't believe a flag wasn't thrown for that. Von Miller got underneath Harris and Harris just simply shoved him passed Rivers.

How close was he to the LOS?

It was about 5 yards into the backfield. Von ran the arc, got under and behind Harris. Knowing Rivers was going to get whacked, Harris just shoved Miller in the back to push him past Rivers (and into Dumervil).

I think it's within 3 yds (3?) of the LOS where it's still legal. It seems like the officials are pretty loose on that number if it's behind the line and pretty tight when it's beyond it.
germ-x

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am interested in a variety of players and areas, but must say that Nate Irving intrigues me.

I thought he had a really good preseason showing a lot of qualities that make a good LB.

I really don't understand why he isn't used more. He must present some kind of liability, maybe in coverage?

In terms of stopping the run, though, i think he could be Denver's best LB. He can take on blocks and is good in both pursuit and filling cut back lanes. He also possess the athleticism, size, and talent that no other traditional LB on Denver's roster has (not including DJ Williams since he is suspended). IMO, it is a shame he isn't getting more reps and opportunities.
Russell2Bailey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

germ-x wrote:
I am interested in a variety of players and areas, but must say that Nate Irving intrigues me.

I thought he had a really good preseason showing a lot of qualities that make a good LB.

I really don't understand why he isn't used more. He must present some kind of liability, maybe in coverage?

In terms of stopping the run, though, i think he could be Denver's best LB. He can take on blocks and is good in both pursuit and filling cut back lanes. He also possess the athleticism, size, and talent that no other traditional LB on Denver's roster has (not including DJ Williams since he is suspended). IMO, it is a shame he isn't getting more reps and opportunities.

I agree. He's quicker than Brooking and Mays. He can get off blocks better. and he's just more talented and inevitably better in coverage.

He only seems to lack Brooking's experience and instincts (Obviously lacking in experience and that much experience gives Brooking better instincts. Irving actually had good instincts according to his scouting reports as a rookie.)

It HAS to be playbook related.
[quote="Reggie Nelson#1"] Radio-"Peyton give the ball to Ball. Ball drops the ball & Ball scoops it up! He's going downfield, TOUCHDOWN! Ball pats him on the back for when he lost the ball."[/quote]
BroncosFan2010

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I agree.

I want to see him get more PT because I really dont wanna draft a MLB without seeing more of Nate. He has some real swag out there. He can really shed blocks well for someone his size, he seems to have developed his tackling and he has a sort of enegry(swag?) that you want your MLB to bring. We would be foolish to not slowly bring him in for progressivley more snaps per game.

If he shows starting potential, we could focus on using our 1st 2 picks on DT and WR, which would be great. I want me some Kawann Short!
lomaxgr

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry guys, bit of a hectic weekend. I will update this tonight.

MUFC OK
elwayfan07

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncosFan2010 wrote:
Quote:

I agree.

I want to see him get more PT because I really dont wanna draft a MLB without seeing more of Nate. He has some real swag out there. He can really shed blocks well for someone his size, he seems to have developed his tackling and he has a sort of enegry(swag?) that you want your MLB to bring. We would be foolish to not slowly bring him in for progressivley more snaps per game.

If he shows starting potential, we could focus on using our 1st 2 picks on DT and WR, which would be great. I want me some Kawann Short!

i do like Short. However, if we get a DT in round 1 i would like to see a guy like Big John Jenkins.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elwayfan07 wrote:
BroncosFan2010 wrote:
Quote:

I agree.

i do like Short. However, if we get a DT in round 1 i would like to see a guy like Big John Jenkins.

How do you think he'd do against a "no huddle" hurry up offense?
elwayfan07

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:
elwayfan07 wrote:
BroncosFan2010 wrote:
Quote:

I agree.

Vince Wilfork tends to make it. Denver has been so soft up the middle for the past decade. You have to do something

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elwayfan07 wrote:
AKRNA wrote:
elwayfan07 wrote:
BroncosFan2010 wrote:
Quote:

I agree.

Vince Wilfork tends to make it. Denver has been so soft up the middle for the past decade. You have to do something

So how 'bout a kid like Jesse Williams? Much better motor, quicker and far stronger. He's about my favorite DT this year. He's one of just a few with the skill set and motor to play 3 downs and hold up against a "hurry up".
elwayfan07

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:
elwayfan07 wrote:
AKRNA wrote:
elwayfan07 wrote:
BroncosFan2010 wrote:
Quote:

I agree.

So how 'bout a kid like Jesse Williams? Much better motor, quicker and far stronger. He's about my favorite DT this year. He's one of just a few with the skill set and motor to play 3 downs and hold up against a "hurry up".

I wouldn't be opposed to Williams at all. I think he is a solid young player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2nd quarter notes :-

* Really stupid hold by Dan Koppen on our 1st drive in the 2nd quarter. Liuget wasn't ever going to make a play on Ronnie Hillman. Speaking of - on that one run you can see why people really like him in a ZBS. We ran a zone stretch play to the right and he made a fantastic cut back. Would have been a 7 yard run if we hadn't been called for holding.

* Demaryius Thomas' most underrated aspect of his game is how he gets off the LOS. He is really efficient with his foot movement and he absolutely owned Quentin Jammer off the LOS with an inside move on a go route with around 13 mins to go in the 2nd. Jammer had no help over the top, but Manning looked Decker's way instead.

* Nate Irving in for the first 2 plays of the Chargers first drive in this quarter. One of the plays he gets cut on the back side of a stretch play. Shows hustle to get up and get in on the tackle, but he needs to see that cut from the TE.

* Mike Adams just can't contain Gates 1v1 in space. Gates gets seperation on a pivot route and Adams can't handle it. Tough one to cover in that much space to be honest. We were in a dime package but with Leonhard coming in instead of a CB. Adams and Leonhard played at the LOS, with the latter covering the RB out of the backfield.

* Interesting that on the Leonhard pick, he had replaced Mike Adams in our base 4-3 Defense. I wonder if Adams got pulled for the personal foul (awful call) or his performance so far. Either way, it was a nice pick by Jimmy. Rivers made a good read; he threw the deep seam to a TE against a Cover 3, and had Rivers put more on it then it was definitely a good decision. Good play on the ball by Leonhard and good hands, but a good throw would have had him then. Wolfe got the pressure on Rivers by beating the LT. It was a decent swim move by Wolfe, but that is awful Tackle play. No knee bend whatsoever; sheer laziness.

* One person who I did love on the Manning INT - Ronnie Hillman. First, he picks up a blitzing MLB right up the gut. The technique wasn't perfect, but he got his body in the way and stopped Manning getting hit. Second, his hustle to get after Jammer was great to see. He beat off blocks and busted his backside to try and stop him (tackled him into the endzone) whilst showing great speed to catch him at all. I bet Coach Studesville loved seeing that on film.

* Leaving Dreessen on a 300lbs DE in the run game isn't going to give you a great deal of success, especially when Clady misses the 2nd level block (the only reason you leave Dreessen on a 3-4 DE is to guarantee a 2nd level block).

* On 3rd and 9 with 5 mins left in the quarter, Kuper gets beaten straight off the LOS by Vaughn Martin. Nice swim move inside by Martin and it meant instant pressure. First foot wrong I have seen Kuper make to be honest, and we haven't been easing him back in. He's been playing 1v1 Football in the run and passing game.

* Leonhard still in at Safety in our Nickel on the Chargers next drive. Trevathan still in at LB too.

* It just seems to me every time a team runs on our Nickel, the RB falls forward 3 yards after contact. I don't know if this to do with our lack of size at LB in our Nickel or whether I am talking rubbish, but I see it all the time.

* I think Derek Wolfe has a lot of potential in the run game, but he takes his eye off the play too much for me. He needs to learn when he is 1v1 to concentrate on getting off his man to make plays on the ballcarrier, rather than concentrating on just shoving his man off the LOS.

* For the person who asked about why Eddie Royal was missing - so far in the 1st half, the Chargers have run almost all of their Offense out of 2 WR 2 TE 1 RB sets.

* Justin Bannan cannot take on double teams - fact. Every time a team doubles him, one of the Lineman can use all of his momentum to get on our LB.

* That 2nd Gates TD is ALL on Rahim Moore. We are playing Cover 1, as can be seen below. Leonhard is on Gates but playing with outside leverage as he has Moore to his inside.

Rivers pump fakes the fade to Meachem (opposite side to Gates), and Moore bites badly. And takes 2 steps to that side.

That gives Rivers the window he needs to split Moore and Leonhard to find a wide open Gates. You could say Leonhard is a little far off Gates, but that is irrelevant to me. Look at where Gates catches the ball below, and where Moore was presnap. That is an INT if he stays put, but he shows poor discipline and is punished for it.

Things of note from the game so far :-

Offensively we should have put up points. I thought the playcalling was fine, the execution was there and we played well at the LOS.

Interested to see how we covered Gates differently in the 2nd half. Jim Leonhard replaced Adams at Safety.

Dumervil caused Harris trouble with his bullrush. That said, Harris is terrible.

MUFC OK
germ-x

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am really interested in seeing how Denver's front 7 shapes up in coming years. Looking back at Fox/Del Rio's history they typically incorporate big front 4's, both their DE's and DT's have been big bodied guys. However, in the past 3 or so seasons they have acquired smaller more disruptive players, see Tyson Alualu (SP).

Derek Wolfe made sense as the pick for Denver last year. Though, I remember reading Denver was prepared to start working phone lines to trade up for Nick Fairley a few years back and that doesn't fall into the typical Fox/Del Rio DT.

Who knows what their looking for or if they are even looking for a specific style of player. Like many of you I too think Denver could use some beef inside that commands attention, but I also think a disruptive player could add another element to the defense and wouldn't be opposed to adding one.

As far as Jesse Williams goes, I like him. I don't think he is a 1st rounder, right now I think he's a first rounder. I'd probably place him in the mid 2nd at the earliest. I don't think he is a going to make a big impact, he just a blah player, but he'll carve a role in the NFL for a long time.
AntiSuperstar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

germ-x wrote:
I am really interested in seeing how Denver's front 7 shapes up in coming years. Looking back at Fox/Del Rio's history they typically incorporate big front 4's, both their DE's and DT's have been big bodied guys.

Terrance Knighton is a free agent this upcoming season. I wouldn't be surprised if the Broncos try to sign him as a Bannan replacement/upgrade. Although I have to say Kevin Vickerson has been our best defensive linemen this season, I have been really impressed with him.

germ-x wrote:
However, in the past 3 or so seasons they have acquired smaller more disruptive players, see Tyson Alualu (SP).

He's a terrible player too. Not that this has anything to do with anything, but I hate watching Alualu play.

lomaxgr wrote:
First foot wrong I have seen Kuper make to be honest, and we haven't been easing him back in. He's been playing 1v1 Football in the run and passing game.

Chris Kuper is so underrated. Ramirez did a nice job filling in but Chris Kuper was the best player on the team outside maybe of Von last year and it's good to have him back. Most players tend to struggle badly on their first game back(he was out longer, but watching another former Bronco, Kory Lichtensteiger, he was terrible the first two games with the Redskins early this year) but Kuper looked good when I was focusing on him.
AKRNA

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntiSuperstar wrote:
germ-x wrote:
I am really interested in seeing how Denver's front 7 shapes up in coming years. Looking back at Fox/Del Rio's history they typically incorporate big front 4's, both their DE's and DT's have been big bodied guys.

Terrance Knighton is a free agent this upcoming season. I wouldn't be surprised if the Broncos try to sign him as a Bannan replacement/upgrade. Although I have to say Kevin Vickerson has been our best defensive linemen this season, I have been really impressed with him.

germ-x wrote:
However, in the past 3 or so seasons they have acquired smaller more disruptive players, see Tyson Alualu (SP).

He's a terrible player too. Not that this has anything to do with anything, but I hate watching Alualu play.

lomaxgr wrote:
First foot wrong I have seen Kuper make to be honest, and we haven't been easing him back in. He's been playing 1v1 Football in the run and passing game.

Chris Kuper is so underrated. Ramirez did a nice job filling in but Chris Kuper was the best player on the team outside maybe of Von last year and it's good to have him back. Most players tend to struggle badly on their first game back(he was out longer, but watching another former Bronco, Kory Lichtensteiger, he was terrible the first two games with the Redskins early this year) but Kuper looked good when I was focusing on him.

Just a couple of questions ANTI. I've also been impressed with Vickerson this year, seems he's demanding double teams and pushing the pile but that's just based on one time viewing.
So, how often is he double teamed and how does he do?
And the next, How did Kuper fare on 1 on 1 matchups last week?

Thanx, and anyone else, feel free to chime in.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: