Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

lomaxgr's all 22/endzone gametape review - Week 6
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lomaxgr

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: lomaxgr's all 22/endzone gametape review - Week 6 Reply with quote

Any requests people? Was there anything you caught from watching the game live that you want a bit of further investigation into?

Fire away!

MUFC OK
lomaxgr

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

* The first 3 plays the Chargers ran were with their Ace Personnel (2 WR 2 TE 1 RB). They ran on two of these and took a deep shot on Harris with the only pass play. I imagine the plan was to keep Von Miller at SLB in our base whilst testing Harris early. Truth be told, Harris should have picked that deep shot, as he had excellent coverage and played the ball perfectly.

* On the Chargers first 3rd down (11 to go) we went with the 3-3-5 alignment like we have in previous weeks, vs a 3 WR 1 TE 1 RB package. We aligned Dumervil at his RE spot, Wolfe over the Center and Ayers at LE. Von Miller was stood up outside the TE, Mike Adams was over the top of the TE with Wesley Woodyard as the other LB. Jim Leonhard came into the game and showed blitz outside of Ayers. We tried the same play we have done in prior weeks where Von Miller runs a wide angle to try and take the LT wide, Dumervil crashes inside to try and take the Guard and Center with the aim of a hole being created between LT and LG for a blitzer to get through.

Antonio Gates chips Miller on his way into his route but Miller still takes the LT wide. Dumervil initially takes the LG, but he doesn't engage well enough to occupy the LG who picks up Mike Adams who is coming on the blitz, and the Center takes care of Dumervil. Adams makes a nice little inside move to beat the LG and force Rivers to throw early to an open Gates, and its an incompletion.

* Loved seeing Virgil Green on our 1st Offensive play. He handles Jarret Johnson 1v1 with ease on a zone slant play to his side. Shame Zane Beadles couldn't find a way to get to the next level rather than stay on the double team with Clady, who had his man driving backwards anyway.

* We went no huddle with our 3 TE 1 WR 1 RB package for the first series with 3 different alignments. We spread the Chargers out on 2nd down and on 3rd down we aligned Green at FB (love to see us develop that role). Unfortunately we got beat off the ball on the left side and McGahee had nowhere to go.

* Great play by Elvis on that 2nd down toss play. The Chargers didn't have their LT pull outside so that is a heads up play by Elvis to see the play coming. Chargers yet again play with their Ace personnel.

* Nickel package vs 3 WR 1 TE and 1 RB on 3rd down, with Trevathan and Woodyard at LB and Wolfe and Unrein at DT. We had a bad mixup on 3rd down with two crossing routes causing 3 of our players to collide in the middle of the field. Danny Trevathan is supposed to be in zone coverage and he follows the WR on the crosser for far too long and gets way out of his zone. Chris Harris doesn't show good feel for WW and they collide, leaving a wide open Eddie Royal. Why on earth Rivers didn't just throw a normal pass that lead Eddie Royal to the sideline, I have no idea. Awful little toss by Rivers for an imcompletion.

* On the 1st Defensive play after the Holliday fumble, our base 4-3 saw Miller at LE with Irving come in at WLB with WW playing at SLB - not seen that so far this year. Ayers was at RE and the Chargers were in their Ace Personnel. Nice play too by Woodyard who stood up Randy McMichael, shed the block and made the tackle for a 3 yard gain.

The next play the Chargers stay with the same personnel but this time they put Gates in the slot. We stay with the same personnel and put Woodyard 1v1 on Gates. Nice coverage by Woodyard on the play to force an incompletion. Seems to me that Jack Del Rio isn't content for the Chargers to take Von Miller away from rushing the passer, so he loses beef at LE (by having Von replace Wolfe) but gains it at RE (by having Rob Ayers replace Elvis). Interesting cat and mouse stuff.

* After the FG and the Bolden fumble, we see the exact same thing other than Doom is in for Ayers. Woodyard at SLB, Irving at WLB and Von at LE. The Chargers pull the LG and run straight at Woodyard. Brooking gets blocked out of the play by the LG whilst Woodyard does a real poor job at filling the hole, as the FB drives him 5 yards down field. Elvis is left 1v1 vs Gates and eventually gets off the block to limit the play to a 4 yard gain.

* Mike Adams will be really disappointed with the Gates TD. He was in man coverage and he just came out of his backpedal too soon. By doing so he let Gates get up on him whilst Adams' feet were stationary, and when you do that past 5 yards and you can't make contact, it's all over. It's a shame because Elvis had bullrushed the LT back into Rivers just as Rivers released the ball. Elvis is having his way with the LT so far whilst Von Miller is forcing the Chargers to keep Randy Mcmichael into block him along with the RT.

* Have you ever seen a RT pull across the formation in the NFL? I don't recall seeing it before, but we just tried it. We were in Shotgun with our Tackles being in a two point stance off the LOS. We attempted to pull Franklin and run right behind him, but the play was a disaster via a 3 yard loss. Corey Liuget (DE) beat Beadles straight away to not only disrupt McGahee's run, but he also impeded Franklin from pulling so far across the formation. Franklin overshot his man (Butler) and didn't bother with a blitzing Eric Weddle and they both made the tackle. Hard to blame Franklin too much because his vision was impeded by Liuget. Blame has to start with Zane Beadles here.

* Back to our normal base 4-3 personnel on the next Charger drive (Irving out).

* On 3rd down we bring Leonhard in at SS and put Mike Adams as a LB in the box to cover Antonio Gates 1v1. The play ends up being a 20 yard gain to Floyd, and its just a good route combination vs our coverage. The Chargers lineup with Floyd in the slot and Eddie Royal outside him. Harris is on Floyd, Champ is on Eddie. Rahim Moore is lined up deep over the top of these two WR's. Both Harris and Bailey know they have Safety help over the top, so they are playing aggressive, underneath coverage.

The problem however, is that there is a huge hole in the middle of the field. With Leonhard providing Safety help for Tony Carter and Moore having shifted over the top of Royal and Floyd, the middle of the field is totally vacant.

In the NFL, that is a huge hole. So who is to 'blame'? I think it is a good playcall vs our coverage, but you could say that Bailey and Harris have to stay on top of their WR's a bit deeper and you could say Moore is playing too close to the numbers. In that situation I would like to see Moore start inside and drift wide, showing a bit more disguise in his coverage.

* Adams beat by Gates in 1v1 coverage again the play after. Same deal - stopped moving his feet by coming out of his pedal too early. Too easy for Gates to seperate. Not to mention Adams should be playing on Gates inside shoulder to at least make Rivers throw away from him. Adams plays on Gates outside shoulder, giving him an easy passing lane towards the QB rather than away.

* Nice instincts by Trevathan on that tackle for a loss at the end of the 1st. He was in danger of running around a block (a big no no on a power run play) but I will give him the benefit of the doubt as it appeared the pulling LG engaged inside and ignored Danny.

* On that play where Gates screened for his WR, the Chargers LT (Harris) got away with the most blatant block in the back you will ever see. I can't believe a flag wasn't thrown for that. Von Miller got underneath Harris and Harris just simply shoved him passed Rivers.

Points of note in the Quarter :-

- Gates is getting the better of Adams in 1v1 man coverage.
- Von and Elvis both off to hot starts getting after the passer.
- Irving seeing around 4 snaps in our base 4-3 package.

MUFC OK

Last edited by lomaxgr on Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
lomaxgr

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2nd quarter notes :-

* Really stupid hold by Dan Koppen on our 1st drive in the 2nd quarter. Liuget wasn't ever going to make a play on Ronnie Hillman. Speaking of - on that one run you can see why people really like him in a ZBS. We ran a zone stretch play to the right and he made a fantastic cut back. Would have been a 7 yard run if we hadn't been called for holding.

* Demaryius Thomas' most underrated aspect of his game is how he gets off the LOS. He is really efficient with his foot movement and he absolutely owned Quentin Jammer off the LOS with an inside move on a go route with around 13 mins to go in the 2nd. Jammer had no help over the top, but Manning looked Decker's way instead.

* Nate Irving in for the first 2 plays of the Chargers first drive in this quarter. One of the plays he gets cut on the back side of a stretch play. Shows hustle to get up and get in on the tackle, but he needs to see that cut from the TE.

* Mike Adams just can't contain Gates 1v1 in space. Gates gets seperation on a pivot route and Adams can't handle it. Tough one to cover in that much space to be honest. We were in a dime package but with Leonhard coming in instead of a CB. Adams and Leonhard played at the LOS, with the latter covering the RB out of the backfield.

* Interesting that on the Leonhard pick, he had replaced Mike Adams in our base 4-3 Defense. I wonder if Adams got pulled for the personal foul (awful call) or his performance so far. Either way, it was a nice pick by Jimmy. Rivers made a good read; he threw the deep seam to a TE against a Cover 3, and had Rivers put more on it then it was definitely a good decision. Good play on the ball by Leonhard and good hands, but a good throw would have had him then. Wolfe got the pressure on Rivers by beating the LT. It was a decent swim move by Wolfe, but that is awful Tackle play. No knee bend whatsoever; sheer laziness.

* One person who I did love on the Manning INT - Ronnie Hillman. First, he picks up a blitzing MLB right up the gut. The technique wasn't perfect, but he got his body in the way and stopped Manning getting hit. Second, his hustle to get after Jammer was great to see. He beat off blocks and busted his backside to try and stop him (tackled him into the endzone) whilst showing great speed to catch him at all. I bet Coach Studesville loved seeing that on film.

* Leaving Dreessen on a 300lbs DE in the run game isn't going to give you a great deal of success, especially when Clady misses the 2nd level block (the only reason you leave Dreessen on a 3-4 DE is to guarantee a 2nd level block).

* On 3rd and 9 with 5 mins left in the quarter, Kuper gets beaten straight off the LOS by Vaughn Martin. Nice swim move inside by Martin and it meant instant pressure. First foot wrong I have seen Kuper make to be honest, and we haven't been easing him back in. He's been playing 1v1 Football in the run and passing game.

* Leonhard still in at Safety in our Nickel on the Chargers next drive. Trevathan still in at LB too.

* It just seems to me every time a team runs on our Nickel, the RB falls forward 3 yards after contact. I don't know if this to do with our lack of size at LB in our Nickel or whether I am talking rubbish, but I see it all the time.

* I think Derek Wolfe has a lot of potential in the run game, but he takes his eye off the play too much for me. He needs to learn when he is 1v1 to concentrate on getting off his man to make plays on the ballcarrier, rather than concentrating on just shoving his man off the LOS.

* For the person who asked about why Eddie Royal was missing - so far in the 1st half, the Chargers have run almost all of their Offense out of 2 WR 2 TE 1 RB sets.

* Justin Bannan cannot take on double teams - fact. Every time a team doubles him, one of the Lineman can use all of his momentum to get on our LB.

* That 2nd Gates TD is ALL on Rahim Moore. We are playing Cover 1, as can be seen below. Leonhard is on Gates but playing with outside leverage as he has Moore to his inside.

Rivers pump fakes the fade to Meachem (opposite side to Gates), and Moore bites badly. And takes 2 steps to that side.

That gives Rivers the window he needs to split Moore and Leonhard to find a wide open Gates. You could say Leonhard is a little far off Gates, but that is irrelevant to me. Look at where Gates catches the ball below, and where Moore was presnap. That is an INT if he stays put, but he shows poor discipline and is punished for it.

Things of note from the game so far :-

Offensively we should have put up points. I thought the playcalling was fine, the execution was there and we played well at the LOS.

Interested to see how we covered Gates differently in the 2nd half. Jim Leonhard replaced Adams at Safety.

Dumervil caused Harris trouble with his bullrush. That said, Harris is terrible.

MUFC OK

Last edited by lomaxgr on Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
lomaxgr

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reserved for 3rd quarter

MUFC OK
lomaxgr

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reserved for 4th quarter

MUFC OK
hibdib31

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see what Del Rio did differently in the second half against Antonio Gates.

1st Half:
5 receptions, 68 yards, 2 touchdowns

--?--?--?--?--

2nd Half:
1 reception, 13 yards
iLikeDefense

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously the blocking was good throughout the game, how did Franklin do? Surprised to see no sacks for Phillips or Barnes. I saw Mcgahee and Hillman make outstanding blocks, does the tape say the same. I saw the game on the field so my perception may be different from what you all saw on tv.

^ Joe_is_the_best with the sig.
bobdevine

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might be a tough task based just on televised coverage, but I'm interested in the effectiveness of the safeties.

So far this year, the safeties look much better this year, but, I can't tell if that is due to coaching, to formations, to luck, or if the players just improved from last year.
BroncoinGermany

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfe's play as well as what made Manning audible in certain situations is of interest to me.

Chasing Lombardi and Stanley!
WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best
AKRNA

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious about Kupers return. How much rust did he show? Also, did we have better communication and fewer missed assignments on the right side?
PackAtBroncos07

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where was Eddie Royal? Didn't see or hear from him all game
lomaxgr

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobdevine wrote:
This might be a tough task based just on televised coverage, but I'm interested in the effectiveness of the safeties.

The film I am watching is Coaches film. One angle shows all 22 players (so can see Safety play) and the other is from the endzone.

I have updated the 2nd post with 1st quarter notes.

MUFC OK
JRebar913

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PackAtBroncos07 wrote:
Where was Eddie Royal? Didn't see or hear from him all game

only heard from him when harris was catching his targets Laughing
AKRNA

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lomaxgr wrote:

* On that play where Gates screened for his WR, the Chargers LT (Harris) got away with the most blatant block in the back you will ever see. I can't believe a flag wasn't thrown for that. Von Miller got underneath Harris and Harris just simply shoved him passed Rivers.

How close was he to the LOS?
lomaxgr

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:
lomaxgr wrote:

How close was he to the LOS?

It was about 5 yards into the backfield. Von ran the arc, got under and behind Harris. Knowing Rivers was going to get whacked, Harris just shoved Miller in the back to push him past Rivers (and into Dumervil).

MUFC OK

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: