Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oakdb36

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we're likely to get a comp pick again this year. Probably a 6th.
Pozzi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the rookie salary cap and the crazy amount of trades that happened in the top of last years draft, it shows us teams are less afraid to trade up and get their guy now. So if our guy isn't there, maybe it won't be as hard to trade out and down and collect some more picks.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pozzi wrote:
With the rookie salary cap and the crazy amount of trades that happened in the top of last years draft, it shows us teams are less afraid to trade up and get their guy now. So if our guy isn't there, maybe it won't be as hard to trade out and down and collect some more picks.

Normally i don't expect trade downs but if we are picking high, and for the reasons you mentioned, I wouldn't be shocked to see it happen... not at all and I'm definitely rooting for it. We need as many picks as we can get. W/ our cap issues, this is the best way to build for the future. Maybe not immediate future but definitely later down the line.

PM sig requests.
Pozzi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JTagg7754 wrote:
Pozzi wrote:

Normally i don't expect trade downs but if we are picking high, and for the reasons you mentioned, I wouldn't be shocked to see it happen... not at all and I'm definitely rooting for it. We need as many picks as we can get. W/ our cap issues, this is the best way to build for the future. Maybe not immediate future but definitely later down the line.

Not having that high 2nd really irritates me.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pozzi wrote:
JTagg7754 wrote:
Pozzi wrote:

Not having that high 2nd really irritates me.

As it does me but we can't be irritated w/ the past and dumb things done. Just gotta make due and hope for the best and trust the new management to not make the same mistakes previously made.

PM sig requests.
LivingLegendWFC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JTagg7754 wrote:
Pozzi wrote:

Not that I disagree with the idea of a trade down, just curious as o your personal opinion on draft strategy, but at what point would you rather stay put and draft what should be a blue chip prospect rather then gaining more draft picks to use on more flawed prospects? Do you support trading down simply because we need so much, or are you always a fan of gaining more draft picks?

I like the idea of trading down, but I got to thinking about it and I started to convinced myself that we really don't have one star or elite player. Yes we need a ton of help everywhere, but how do you weigh having one elite player vs having a couple of good solid players. Now obviously elite players can be found outside of the top five, but one would think your odds are higher of finding a true franchise player higher in the draft.

I want as many picks as possible, but the thing I want most is a truly elite player that we can build around for the future. Then again this draft isn't the greatest draft I can recall, especially at the top so acquiring more chances at finding a gem may be the way too go, but if you fall in love with someone at the top of the draft that your coincident is a franchise player do you pass that up for more draft picks that your maybe not as confident in?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LivingLegendWFC wrote:
JTagg7754 wrote:
Pozzi wrote:

Not that I disagree with the idea of a trade down, just curious as o your personal opinion on draft strategy, but at what point would you rather stay put and draft what should be a blue chip prospect rather then gaining more draft picks to use on more flawed prospects? Do you support trading down simply because we need so much, or are you always a fan of gaining more draft picks?

I like the idea of trading down, but I got to thinking about it and I started to convinced myself that we really don't have one star or elite player. Yes we need a ton of help everywhere, but how do you weigh having one elite player vs having a couple of good solid players. Now obviously elite players can be found outside of the top five, but one would think your odds are higher of finding a true franchise player higher in the draft.

I want as many picks as possible, but the thing I want most is a truly elite player that we can build around for the future. Then again this draft isn't the greatest draft I can recall, especially at the top so acquiring more chances at finding a gem may be the way too go, but if you fall in love with someone at the top of the draft that your coincident is a franchise player do you pass that up for more draft picks that your maybe not as confident in?

Draft is a crap shoot sometimes. There's a lot of risk in every player in the top, but to me Reggie not having a 2nd round pick again is bothersome. You could put all your eggs in one basket and hope you hit on the 3rd rounders and on. Getting a 2nd would be huge. Think of guys like MJD, Drew Brees, Larry Allen, etc. We drafted Howie Long in the 2nd round. My hope is that we trade back to the mid 1st because there are some guys there that could be the best of the draft. Lots of top 10-15 players are there because their stock went up. I still go back to the 2nd rounder we traded for Hall with and the impact guys we could have drafted in that round.

SaveourSonics wrote:
Yea, RaiderX wins. We can all just top acting like this is a matter of opinion. MY GOD.
Chali21

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to trade down and get Werner. Mostly because he looks like bane.
CaliforniaKid7

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want Star or Jockel. If we can't get either trade down and get Hankins, Te'o, or best CB.

Check out my new sig'

big thanks to OakleyCap on the sig
Pozzi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely said LivingLegendWFC. There is still a lot to consider.

If that elite/star player is there (Pass rusher for me), then I think we have to select him, and not worry so much about that missing 2nd.

I think Reggie and staff do a great job at finding talent in the later rounds anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By current league standings the Raiders are picking 3rd with Kansas City and Jacksonville in front of them. The way I could see the Draft falling is a very unique scenario.
KC- LT Jockel ( B.Albert leaving to play for a winning team)
JX- DT Star L. (Knighton wanting more money than he's worth so he walks)
OK- LB Jones (With Wheelers future uncertain they take Jones to replace him. With Jones in the fold Allen can run the D scheme that he had in Denver before coming here)

Granted Jones ability on the field is stellar. He still isn't my favorite LB prospect. If this scenario plays out this way. I would still like to see the Raiders draft Khasheem Greene in the 3rd. To have a young dominating LBing core to be proud of for once.

^^^^
Props to Pats9ers
big_palooka

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted in the Te'o thread but applies here:

Not sure who the 'elite' players are in this draft if any, but that's what the Raiders need.

Star, Te'o, Moore don't jump of the screen.

IMO Werner flashes more but comes in underrated.

Warmack IMO is the best player in this draft, but you don't draft G that high right? Warmack might be as close to 'elite' as I see in this class

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:

Not sure who the 'elite' players are in this draft if any, but that's what the Raiders need.

Warmack IMO is the best player in this draft, but you don't draft G that high right? Warmack might be as close to 'elite' as I see in this class

There will be quite a few great defensive players to come out of this draft IMO. In most drafts, you're lucky to have 5 elite prospects in the top 10. But the potential could still be there for other players. JPP, CM3, A Smith, and Watt weren't viewed as elite prospects, but their GM's did a great job of recognizing their talent and potential.

In this years draft, there's a ton of great defensive talent, particularly in the front 7. I have no doubt we'll have our choice of a few defensive cornerstones, regardless of where we pick. I can't wait to see who Reggie ends up liking. Smile
bitty

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pozzi wrote:

Trade back multiple times and get as many picks you can.
bitty

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkness wrote:
big_palooka wrote:

There will be quite a few great defensive players to come out of this draft IMO. In most drafts, you're lucky to have 5 elite prospects in the top 10. But the potential could still be there for other players. JPP, CM3, A Smith, and Watt weren't viewed as elite prospects, but their GM's did a great job of recognizing their talent and potential.

In this years draft, there's a ton of great defensive talent, particularly in the front 7. I have no doubt we'll have our choice of a few defensive cornerstones, regardless of where we pick. I can't wait to see who Reggie ends up liking. Smile

This is the deepest DL class ever. The Raiders can get top 20 talent in the second round.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 67 of 100

Jump to: