Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Trying to Find a Silver-Lining
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're not getting Chip Kelly. It just won't happen. Dennis Green, Cam Cameron or Eric Mangini is the probable selection by our current regime.

A few years back when there was talk about Marvin Lewis getting canned I got my hopes up we'd snag him but obviously he has the staff in place that make up for the ineptitude that is his upper management.

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boltstrikes wrote:
We're not getting Chip Kelly. It just won't happen. Dennis Green, Cam Cameron or Eric Mangini is the probable selection by our current regime.

A few years back when there was talk about Marvin Lewis getting canned I got my hopes up we'd snag him but obviously he has the staff in place that make up for the ineptitude that is his upper management.

As long as AJ is in place, this is about right. There will be no rookie coach, no coach coming from college. It will be somebody with head coaching experience that's currently working as a coordinator, and probably that has worked for the team in the past. My guess is that Wade is the next HC.

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so tired of AJ I'd take Matt Millen now.

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boltstrikes wrote:

Ok, I know thing have been bad, but nobody deserves that. That would be like having your kids act up, and punishing them by making them watch you shoot their mom.

Duffman57

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
Boltstrikes wrote:

Ok, I know thing have been bad, but nobody deserves that. That would be like having your kids act up, and punishing them by making them watch you shoot their mom.

Rammy da best sigmaker of all time!

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duffman57 wrote:
MrDrew wrote:
Boltstrikes wrote:

He said he wanted Matt Millen. I had to come up with something harsh for him to realize what he just said.

Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't say I'd want him. I am just saying it'd be an improvement over AJ.

I guess Eric Decosta is a pipe dream. Teams have tried to lure him away but he has the GM in inheritance along with GM pay now. Kevin Abrams is my next hope. I wouldn't be opposed to Billick being brought in as a GM interview. I don't want him on the coaching staff at all but the dude could be an awesome GM.

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanos is conservative. For some reason I highly doubt we're going to get the real "up-and-comer" GM candidates here, as they're not going to risk there not being a corner-office for A.G.'s son. Butler wasn't exactly the "up-and-comer" when he was brought in, he was the guy who had long been running Marv Levy's show for him after Bill Polian left to Indy.

Considering that Dean is a conservative owner, I'm not horribly opposed to someone like Floyd Reese (as his issues were always with getting too loose with the purse-strings, which - if I'm being honest - the Spanoses are never going to green-light) because the guy runs a heck of a scouting department and executes an extremely effective draft plan (with almost as good a record with UDFA's as AJ has).

I'll be honest, I think Omar Khan would shoot us down because typically you only get one shot at being a GM in this league and I don't see him risking his with the caveat of being hamstrung from the start with the handicaps working for the Spanos family will put on him.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
Spanos is conservative. For some reason I highly doubt we're going to get the real "up-and-comer" GM candidates here, as they're not going to risk there not being a corner-office for A.G.'s son. Butler wasn't exactly the "up-and-comer" when he was brought in, he was the guy who had long been running Marv Levy's show for him after Bill Polian left to Indy.

Considering that Dean is a conservative owner, I'm not horribly opposed to someone like Floyd Reese (as his issues were always with getting too loose with the purse-strings, which - if I'm being honest - the Spanoses are never going to green-light) because the guy runs a heck of a scouting department and executes an extremely effective draft plan (with almost as good a record with UDFA's as AJ has).

I'll be honest, I think Omar Khan would shoot us down because typically you only get one shot at being a GM in this league and I don't see him risking his with the caveat of being hamstrung from the start with the handicaps working for the Spanos family will put on him.

Floyd Reese is the only chance i think Chip Kelly would be a shot for our job, as Chip supposedly has strong ties to NE as he is from there and knows BB pretty well.

I dont know anything about GM candidates other than the googleability of them so i'm kinda just observing here.

But is our GM really THAT "hamstrung" by the Spanoses? We've been consistently up against the cap and spending almost all the money we can. Sure we haven't gone all in with big name FA's.

The only thing i worry about with Reese, again just generalizing that he was part of the team in NE, is that NE has found bust after bust at the CB position, which is right now our main need right now, and as LBC said, its not that we need to get a super big talent, but we should get a guy who can play well in our scheme, and NE has failed in doing that time after time...

Rammy da best sigmaker of all time!

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duffman57 wrote:
The LBC wrote:

Floyd Reese is the only chance i think Chip Kelly would be a shot for our job, as Chip supposedly has strong ties to NE as he is from there and knows BB pretty well.

I dont know anything about GM candidates other than the googleability of them so i'm kinda just observing here.

But is our GM really THAT "hamstrung" by the Spanoses? We've been consistently up against the cap and spending almost all the money we can. Sure we haven't gone all in with big name FA's.

The only thing i worry about with Reese, again just generalizing that he was part of the team in NE, is that NE has found bust after bust at the CB position, which is right now our main need right now, and as LBC said, its not that we need to get a super big talent, but we should get a guy who can play well in our scheme, and NE has failed in doing that time after time...

The "hamstrung" part I was referring to was more in regard to the family ensuring that one of their own retains his seat at the Adult Table as long as he wants it. They've been teeing up John-boy for the GM (or at worst Asst GM to Ed McGuire's GM - and Ed is almost entirely a contracts and negotiations guy, not a scouting/personnel guy) position for some time now. And I have to think that unless Dean and A.G. think that it threatens their profitability and revenue-stream they're not going to jeopardize that by hiring a candidate who would create another conceivable 6-8 year gap before John would ever get the job (effectively, he'd be taking one of their jobs as one of the two managing partners before he'd ever get the GM seat).

The other "hamstringing" part is that our ownership is pretty damn conservative. Not so much in their spending, but we're seen from their other practices (aversion to bucking the system or performing overhauls, preference for "known"/veteran/marketable coaches, etc.) that they're slower to attempt digging themselves out of a hole they've already dug themselves into than most. Then proliferate that element and attitude even further throughout the front office, and things start getting scary (like Bud Adams scary). AJ, while not always successful, has recognized when it was necessary (or darn close to it) to take a risk (sometimes more risky than we'd prefer) to try to address a major deficiency on our team from previous years (this is with the exception of the OL - and considering that he honestly doesn't have the "half or more of them are injured" excuse he had two years ago, it's not completely unfathomable that if he keeps his job this year he finally breaks the ice and sinks a premium pick or two into the line in the name of sel-preservation).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: