Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Holmgren domino effect Question !!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Buffalo Bills
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yibbyl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said "no" earlier, but only hinted at the reasons. First off, I was on board the bandwagon (the admittedly small bandwagon) to draft him this past year. I got flack for wanting a 28 year old rookie then, and now, if we went after him next year, he'd be 29. Yes, he would no longer be a rookie, but he would still have to learn a new offense. It was pushing my age limits to go after him last year, next year pushes it even further. I just don't think you can disregard the fact that he'd be essentially starting over again with not only new personnel, but with a different offense. It's just too much stacked against him vs. having a younger player to teach & groom. Besides, now that I have seen him play, I'd rank him (currently) behind Fitz and ahead of T-Jax. Just doesn't quite feel like an upgrade to me.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon Weeden, like 50% of the QBs that get selected in the 1st round, was over-drafted. He is a perfect example of the NFL's desperate need for quality quarterback play. He is an average quarterback at best, and the fact that he's 28 years old doesn't bode well for his improvement potential. I understand that a lack of winning, which is what Cleveland has experienced for the better part of the past 15 years, warrants drastic changes at crucial positions like QB, but Brandon Weeden is not the answer for them, nor is he the answer for any other team looking to win football games on a consistent basis.

Sorry.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swolfdab wrote:
Brandon Weeden, like 50% of the QBs that get selected in the 1st round, was over-drafted. He is a perfect example of the NFL's desperate need for quality quarterback play. He is an average quarterback at best, and the fact that he's 28 years old doesn't bode well for his improvement potential. I understand that a lack of winning, which is what Cleveland has experienced for the better part of the past 15 years, warrants drastic changes at crucial positions like QB, but Brandon Weeden is not the answer for them, nor is he the answer for any other team looking to win football games on a consistent basis.

Sorry.

He's gonna take time to learn game speed and reads.. I think he will have a solid 6-7 seasons when he gets legit weapons. His and our current line is pretty good.. Cleveland has garbage outside T-Rich on offense
BillsGuy82

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see a Joe Flacco soon with Weeden, he is always gonna have critics but I'm not writing him off
OffseasonChamps

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillsGuy82 wrote:
^^ I'm failing to see your logic, stating a trade for Weeden is dumb. But u will break the bank for Barkley or Geno Smith (Both of whom I will grade out lower than Luck and RG3). Barring catastrophe we will be selecting between 10-20 out of there range of Geno and Barkley.

I have watched many snaps by Weeden so far and came to the conclusion he has the tools and make up to be a solid not spectacular QB in this league. He will also have that years NFL experience which is valuable.

3rd round pick for Weeden = Dumb
2013 1st/2014 1st/2013 2nd minimum for Geno/Barkley = Ridiculous

You're saying that having Brandon Weeden next year is a better move than drafting Geno Smith or Matt Barkley?

BillsGuy82

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OffseasonChamps wrote:
BillsGuy82 wrote:
^^ I'm failing to see your logic, stating a trade for Weeden is dumb. But u will break the bank for Barkley or Geno Smith (Both of whom I will grade out lower than Luck and RG3). Barring catastrophe we will be selecting between 10-20 out of there range of Geno and Barkley.

I have watched many snaps by Weeden so far and came to the conclusion he has the tools and make up to be a solid not spectacular QB in this league. He will also have that years NFL experience which is valuable.

3rd round pick for Weeden = Dumb
2013 1st/2014 1st/2013 2nd minimum for Geno/Barkley = Ridiculous

You're saying that having Brandon Weeden next year is a better move than drafting Geno Smith or Matt Barkley?

No I'm saying its better than trading up for Geno Smith or Barkley.. I don't think come draft day we will be in a position to draft either unless they slip but right now IMO they are top 2 QB's
BillsGuy82

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weeden had a solid day!! Just saying
Trentwannabe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillsGuy82 wrote:

but he didn't against us, which should tell you everything you need to know

I'm all about my BILLS, I'm on my Stevie Johnson .... I mean Sammy Watkins.
BillsGuy82

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trentwannabe wrote:
BillsGuy82 wrote:

Lol "C'MON MAN" .. Give Weeden some props!! Since I'm still bitter about Bills, fantasy team getting rocked and my hatred for Pats and Jets ima watch the Browns game and specifically Weeden.
TommyC376

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillsGuy82 wrote:
Trentwannabe wrote:
BillsGuy82 wrote:

Lol "C'MON MAN" .. Give Weeden some props!! Since I'm still bitter about Bills, fantasy team getting rocked and my hatred for Pats and Jets ima watch the Browns game and specifically Weeden.

The way we are playing we wont need to trade for Weeden. We will probably get to pick in a spot where we will get a good QB in the draft.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it hard to conceive Weeden as the solution, short-term or long-term. He is still very raw and is benefiting from an offense that throws the ball a considerable amount of time skewing Weeden's stats. Having watched him a few times, I see nothing that would indicate Weeden has what it takes to take a team to the playoffs.

By the time Weeden is fully-developed his game, maybe 2-3 years from now, he will be 31-32 years old. Certainly not old by QB standards but Id rather invest money and a pick on a young QB who could potentially be a franchise QB for 10 years.

Thanks to Pick6_Finnegan for the sig
Maxmw22

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is funny that the thread title is the "Holmgren Domino effect" and refers to Brandon Weeden, heck, I don't think it would be out of the realm of possibility if Nix/Gailey are gone and Holmgren is a candidate to come here as a GM.

Adopt-A-Bills:
RB C.J. Spiller - 927 yds, 4.6 ypc, 33 rec, 185 yds, 2 TD
DE/OLB Jerry Hughes - 46 tckls, 10 SCK, 2 FF
TommyC376

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maxmw22 wrote:
I think it is funny that the thread title is the "Holmgren Domino effect" and refers to Brandon Weeden, heck, I don't think it would be out of the realm of possibility if Nix/Gailey are gone and Holmgren is a candidate to come here as a GM.
I wouldnt mind that one bit.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TommyC376 wrote:
Maxmw22 wrote:

Give me Bill Cowher.

I'm all about my BILLS, I'm on my Stevie Johnson .... I mean Sammy Watkins.
BillsGuy82

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trentwannabe wrote:
TommyC376 wrote:
Maxmw22 wrote:

Give me Bill Cowher.

I wish.. And I made the title because a lot of talks on this site have been about a new Browns regime picking there "man" at QB, whether its Geno or Barkley than dealing Weeden. Which seems unlikelier by every start

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Buffalo Bills All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: