Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Justin Blackmon
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
patsfan25

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Justin Blackmon Reply with quote

Patriots fan here. I was a big fan of Blackmon coming into the draft. I've noticed he has a measly 13 catches for 119 yards and 0 TDs, after having a very promising preseason. What is going on? Has he shown any signs of improvement? Will he emerge and make an impact by the end of the season? I'd like an analytical view on Blackmon and what to expect.

Thanks....

Aite,

peace.
jagman777

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blaine gabbert
Adrenaline_Flux

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jagman777 wrote:
blaine gabbert

Is Gabbert responsible for his drops?

Winner of Football's Future Big Brother II
Its A Sabotage

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
jagman777 wrote:
blaine gabbert

and his lack of separation.

#JDI
jagman777

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
jagman777 wrote:
blaine gabbert

some of them. for the most part though i think it's easy to see Blackmon is our best option at WR and with a decent qb i believe his stats would be a lot less dreadful.
KhanYouDigIt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its A Sabotage wrote:
Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
jagman777 wrote:
blaine gabbert

and his lack of separation.

Blackmon's fault Gabbert never lets the play develop and always checks down?

If Gabbert didn't have a an internal clock that goes off after 3 seconds, Blackmon would have much better numbers. If nothing is open after his clock goes off, he just checks down. Never lets plays develop.

TEDDY TEDDY TEDDY

Props to JMG on the sig
sadjag

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Justin Blackmon Reply with quote

patsfan25 wrote:
Patriots fan here. I was a big fan of Blackmon coming into the draft. I've noticed he has a measly 13 catches for 119 yards and 0 TDs, after having a very promising preseason. What is going on? Has he shown any signs of improvement? Will he emerge and make an impact by the end of the season? I'd like an analytical view on Blackmon and what to expect.

Thanks....
It's a chicken or the egg situation. Is our passing game inept because our recievers arent open or because our QB is terrible? Seeing as we are the 32nd offense in the league the most likely answer is both.

Blackmon has struggled early but he has been getting better I think I can say the general consensus among the fanbase is that one day he will be good. But for right now He is a rookie WR with a QB who just might be awful....maybe.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Justin Blackmon Reply with quote

sadjag wrote:
patsfan25 wrote:

Thanks....
It's a chicken or the egg situation. Is our passing game inept because our recievers arent open or because our QB is terrible? Seeing as we are the 32nd offense in the league the most likely answer is both.

Blackmon has struggled early but he has been getting better I think I can say the general consensus among the fanbase is that one day he will be good. But for right now He is a rookie WR with a QB who just might be awful....maybe.

I know it was preseason, but football is football. Their timing and chemistry seemed to be well in sync. How did that translate to what is now?

Aite,

peace.
iPwn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Justin Blackmon Reply with quote

patsfan25 wrote:
I know it was preseason, but football is football. Their timing and chemistry seemed to be well in sync. How did that translate to what is now?

Injuries to the o-line, and poor play by those asked to stepped up has caused the pass game to be incapable of regularly pushing the ball deep. This is compounded by the fact that Blaine always looks for the short pass, and has done so since college. Now that we're playing against real defenses that will send extra pressure enough to rush throws, the defense has been able to key in on those shorter routes, and because Blackmon isn't a polished route runner yet, he can't get separation underneath when the defense is squatting on those routes.

We saw in out last game for a bit there after Cecil Shorts pushed the safeties back with a few deep routes that Blackmon was able to get open quite a bit until the defense compressed on the routes again.

It's a situation where all phases of the passing game are leading to this. I think with a field stretcher, a QB willing to go deep that a defense would respect and a good o-line, Blackmon would be statistically better, but he has a lot to work on himself, as well.

He has only caught 39% of his targets this year, but that has progressively gotten better as the season has come along. It was downright abysmal earlier in the season, now it's just really bad.

- Best since day one -
The road to success is always under construction - Gus Bradley
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, his hands and ability to separate are the biggest problem

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Justin Blackmon Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
patsfan25 wrote:

He has only caught 39% of his targets this year, but that has progressively gotten better as the season has come along. It was downright abysmal earlier in the season, now it's just really bad.
Let's not blame all of those passes on Blackmon. He's been over/underthrown 3-4 times off the top of my head.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Justin Blackmon Reply with quote

sadjag wrote:
iPwn wrote:
patsfan25 wrote:

Let's not blame all of those passes on Blackmon. He's been over/underthrown 3-4 times off the top of my head.

I thought I made it quite clear that everyone was to blame...

That said, typically the percentage of bad throws to a specific target even out over the course of several games.

Blackmon - 39%
Thomas - 41%
Shorts - 42%
Elliot - 50%
Robinson - 53%

- Best since day one -
The road to success is always under construction - Gus Bradley
Tugboat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's basically a confluence of factors. As i think many expected, Blackmon has some work to do in getting separation at the NFL level, and he does need to clean up some of the drops.

But the problems are compounded by the biggest issue, which is our passing game as a whole. Our line can't hold up, our QB checks down at every available opportunity, and defenses just compress the field and squash any of the short passes Gabbert looks to because they rarely have any reason to concern themselves with the deep ball threat.

There's still plenty of promise to Blackmon and he does look to be getting some of his own housekeeping in order, but it's hard to expect a lot out of him statistically, given the sorry state of our passing game right now.
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We arent saying we should give up on Justin, but he hasnt been as good catching the ball as expected

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our drunkie that can't get separation led all rookies in receptions and yards.

I went and looked at the Blackmon DUI thread, brought some lulz. Good stuff.

TEDDY TEDDY TEDDY

Props to JMG on the sig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: