Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ray Lewis out for the Season with complete Tricep tear
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coordinator0

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suggs is on the PUP list not IR. He's now able to come off of it and the team has 21 days to either activate him or place him on IR.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/65135/dont-expect-ray-lewis-to-walk-away

Quote:
Whether Lewis wants to come back is up to him. The injury is not a career-threatening one, according to ESPN injury expert Stephania Bell. She said it takes at least four months for an injury of this nature to heal. So, Lewis would be fully healed by the start of training camp.

"It can be repaired," Bell said. "He can come back strong. He can play the position again."

Lewis isn't coming back this season.
rise

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear the news guys. I hope Ray comes back next year.
hornbybrown

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been looking forward to the end of the Ray Lewis era. But this is not the right way for it to end.

I hope he comes back next year and plays all 16 games.

ONLY 16 GAMES Laughing

Adopt a Brown 2014
Miles Austin
Pierre Desir
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hornbybrown wrote:
I have been looking forward to the end of the Ray Lewis era. But this is not the right way for it to end.

I hope he comes back next year and plays all 16 games.

ONLY 16 GAMES Laughing

No, he will come back faster, stronger and bigger and tear apart this league for 16 more years Wink

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'd say he's [Dennis Pitta] the fourth best TE in the division... Cameron > Miller > Gresham > Eiffert = Pitta
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This should start everyone's day off right:

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'd say he's [Dennis Pitta] the fourth best TE in the division... Cameron > Miller > Gresham > Eiffert = Pitta
GaTechRavens

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

From the looks of it, it's coming with a massively shrunken head.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

That certainly helps. And hopefully, in a few weeks we can also say, "It's as good as it ever was".

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we should go bold here. Fire Dean Pees and have Ray be our D-Coordinator the rest of the year.

I know that would never happen but I do think Ray will have some influence in how the D gets coached the rest of the season and could actually benefit us in some regards.
RavensTillIDie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpeter15 wrote:
I think we should go bold here. Fire Dean Pees and have Ray be our D-Coordinator the rest of the year.

I know that would never happen but I do think Ray will have some influence in how the D gets coached the rest of the season and could actually benefit us in some regards.

Best case scenario, the defense significantly improves with Lewis on the sidelines coaching up the coach. All the attention and publicity shifts towards Pees, we win the Super Bowl, Pees gets offered a head coaching job elsewhere, Ray "retires" and becomes our official defensive coordinator. Cool

Matts4313 wrote:
Speaking of attacking kids
RAVINGMADD

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavensTillIDie wrote:
jpeter15 wrote:

Best case scenario, the defense significantly improves with Lewis on the sidelines coaching up the coach. All the attention and publicity shifts towards Pees, we win the Super Bowl, Pees gets offered a head coaching job elsewhere, Ray "retires" and becomes our official defensive coordinator. Cool

I like the sound of that. As long as Ray is on the sideline, I think we aren't hurt too much by Ray not being on the field. This scenario would have been a lot more likely if Webb weren't out for the season too.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baltimore Ravens ‏@Ravens
Ray Lewis placed on the reserve/injured - designated for return. That's a very important end there. It means he can possibly come back.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
Baltimore Ravens ‏@Ravens
Ray Lewis placed on the reserve/injured - designated for return. That's a very important end there. It means he can possibly come back.

This is what I thought we'd see. It's unlikely that anyone else that gets injured seriously would be able to return quickly enough for us to utilize that designation anyway, so I thought Lewis made the most sense... of course I also confused the recovery times for the bicep and tricep... but still (definitely googled tricep though).

So if Lewis is somehow able to make a lightning quick recovery, he could return for the playoffs. Heck, maybe there's some sort of new scientific breakthrough surgery procedure only allowed in Germany that Lewis can go under so that he'll be ready to go by the end of the season. Or maybe he'll sleep in a hyperbolic chamber... maybe they'll make a chamber specifically for his arm (okay I'm out of crazy ideas), but this designation makes sense for a lot of reasons IMO.

How crazy would it be if we made it to the Super Bowl and Lewis was able to return for that game and play... and he was able to return to play specifically because of a rule enacted by the NFL the season he would be injured... that would be a tremendous tale. Lewis rides off into the sunset with the 2nd ring by destiny. This gives me hope... I could care less if how impossible the feat is/would be... I just want to see it happen and I'll be ready to see Lewis go.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ozzie on Ray's DTR wrote:
Then Ozzie talked about Ray: They say its a slow-healing injury, but that the person could begin rehab three weeks after the surgery. Then you put Ray into the equation. He will attack this like he attacks everything else. Is there anyone who could bring more energy, more motivation, more work to come back? Because its Ray, were willing to take this chance. We all know he is special, and hes already chomping at the bit to get going, and he just had surgery yesterday (Wednesday.) If we were going to bet on one player coming back, we were betting on Ray Lewis.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to the above from Ozzie, I've been scouring the internets looking for personal stories of people rehabbing a complete triceps tear. Initially I was just using info from your average Joe's but then I located a story from an Olympic lifter, his situation seemed to be the most relevant to what Ray Lewis will probably see:

Pat wrote:
I tore my triceps tendon on August 15. 100%, full thickness-tear, completely off the bone. I was doing floor presses. Heard a pop, then a tearing sounds. I had surgery on August 18. My Dr. was fantastic. When I told him what I did (Olympic lifter, etc.) he had his staff research techniques and told me that he was going to use a new technique and materials for the surgery. The new materials are 33% stronger than what's been used previously.

The surgery could not have gone better. I got the cast/splint off two weeks post surgery. I began using the hand and the arm for anything that I could while still in the cast/splint. I had 100% strength back in the hand after a few days (I squeezed a stress ball whenever I could). The arm seemed fairly useless when they took the splint off. I could straighten it fully but could not bend it much at all. He instructed me to begin assisted ROM work a few times per day. And to keep the arm in and out of a sling.

After a few days I ditched the sling, but was very careful with the arm. After two weeks assisted ROM I had full ROM. I then began - per instructions - unassisted ROM work. After a few days of this I added some VERY MINOR movements for strength: Triceps extension and kick-backs with a stapler; a triceps pressdown of sorts with my seat-belt. VERY LIGHT STUFF. But, I've noticed a huge difference in the arm. In fact, aside from some pain at the tip of the elbow where the screws are (as well as the scar from the surgery), I forget that I had surgery. However, I still baby the arm and do not try anything risky. My workouts consist of DB floor presses, standing one-hand DB presses, and one-hand DB rows all with my uninjured side. I also perform box squats with a safety squat bar three times weekly, as well as some incline treadmill work. I firmly believe that my recovery has been accelerated by my body's efforts to recovery from workouts (production of test, etc.).

I'm five weeks out from surgery. I see my doc a week from tomorrow. I'm confident he'll be pleased - if not blown away - with my progress to date. I do not anticipate a need for PT. Amazingly, I've already recovered quite a bit of muscle tone in my injured triceps. I plan to be very conservative in how I load my push exercises. I will not do any two handed push movements until week 8 post surgery. I'll begin with two weeks of empty bar benches for 5x5. I'll then add five to ten pounds weekly until I'm six months post surgery. Then I'll being push workouts in earnest to recover my lost strength. And then some.

Quote:
In real terms: I'm six weeks out from surgery tomorrow. I have 100% ROM. I do NOT notice or think about the injury 99% of the time. The only impact to my lifestyle right now is that I am unable to do heavy training with the repaired arm. The Dr. feels that I'll be completely unrestricted to at 12 weeks (i.e. push whatever I can handle at that point)...

... For anyone out there worried about a full recovery, pay attention: Your doctor does not know anything about people who train as most of us do. Our recovery and long term prognosis is much different that the average couch potato. My doctor educated himself to better understand what I was asking of him. He's told me that the risk of re-injury, once I'm healed (he says that's at 12 weeks, max), is NOT related to the fact that the tendon has been surgically repaired. Thus, I'll not be restricted. Whatever I can handle is what I'll do.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^

So basically, with Ray Lewis being a professional athlete with the best surgery methods, personal trainers, and medical staff at his disposal... along with knowing the above guy was able to be completely unrestricted at 12 weeks max... we could make the assumption that 12 weeks from Wednesday, October the 17th (date of operation), Lewis could potentially be back on a football field.

Heck Lewis played 5 snaps with the triceps tear. So with full range of motion and no chance of re-injury after 12 weeks, I think that's when we see him return. He won't have his same strength back, but his injured arm can perform all of the range of motion tasks that will be asked of him.

So based on the above, if Lewis is quick to heal he could potentially be back by the divisional round of the playoffs, possibly even the wildcard round of the playoffs- if we don't get a bye.

I think the chances of Lewis returning this season are much better than most expect, especially when you consider the fact that this injury won't limit his conditioning nor his ability to train his other arm after about the 4-5 weeks. And he should be able to work out his legs and core to maintain strength in other places while building back up the triceps and shooting for opening day of the playoffs for his target return date.

His tackling will likely suffer upon but his ability to hit the holes and explode into the backfield, his overall conditioning, etc. should largely be un-phased. He should be able to hit the ground running.

My only concern at this point is that he may push it TOO hard and re-injure the triceps tendon in some freak accident prior to the 12 week point. But considering the circumstances, I'm highly optimistic that we haven't seen the last of Ray Lewis this season. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: