Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ray Lewis out for the Season with complete Tricep tear
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nucky

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Ray Lewis out for the Season with complete Tricep tear Reply with quote

Just announced on BaltimoreRavens.com, Ray Lewis out for season.
Quote:
Head Coach John Harbaugh delivered the somber news five minutes after hearing it himself Monday afternoon. Ray Lewis is out.

“Ray has a triceps tear,” Harbaugh said. “A complete tear. So he’ll be out for the season.”

DB EDIT: Please remember to include a quote and link to an article when reporting news... especially of this magnitude. Thanks!

- DB424
BareYourTeeth

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if somehow we still manage to win the Superbowl it will be nowhere near as special.

That's really the hardest part for me personally as I feel we can still manage to compete with McClellan/Ellerbe taking over but winning it without Ray just won't feel the same.

2000WORLD CHAMPIONS2012

Last edited by BareYourTeeth on Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:26 pm; edited 3 times in total
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me:

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'd say he's [Dennis Pitta] the fourth best TE in the division... Cameron > Miller > Gresham > Eiffert = Pitta
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BareYourTeeth wrote:
Well if somehow we still manage to win the Superbowl it will be nowhere near as special.

That's really the hardest part for me personally as I feel we can still manage to compete with McClellan taking over but winning it without Ray just won't feel the same.

Yep. I don't think it hurts us all too much, but it just won't be the same without Ray. Maybe it helps in the sense that everyone starts playing for him? Let's hope. But in terms of dropoff that we see on the field, I don't think it'll be noticeable much. Now, Webb on the other hand? That's a big blow.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
BareYourTeeth wrote:

That's really the hardest part for me personally as I feel we can still manage to compete with McClellan taking over but winning it without Ray just won't feel the same.

Yep. I don't think it hurts us all too much, but it just won't be the same without Ray. Maybe it helps in the sense that everyone starts playing for him? Let's hope. But in terms of dropoff that we see on the field, I don't think it'll be noticeable much. Now, Webb on the other hand? That's a big blow.

Not sure how you can see a dropoff from allowing 480 yards, 250+ on the ground...

We could stick Frank Walker at MLB and give up that many yards.

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'd say he's [Dennis Pitta] the fourth best TE in the division... Cameron > Miller > Gresham > Eiffert = Pitta
ravens_rool28

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
BareYourTeeth wrote:

If we win the Superbowl, as long as Reed's on the field, it will still be special.

Ray is still going to be able to do what he does best anymore; He'll still be a leader in the locker room and another coach on the sidelines.

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
Muy Oheribble

Nucky

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BareYourTeeth wrote:

I completely agree. It would be just too weird even if we win.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ravens_rool28 wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
BareYourTeeth wrote:

If we win the Superbowl, as long as Reed's on the field, it will still be special.

Ray is still going to be able to do what he does best anymore; He'll still be a leader in the locker room and another coach on the sidelines.

And perhaps maybe it will make it more special because NOBODY can say Flacco didn't lead this team...

If we make it to the Superb owl and come out victorious, all the Flacco haters have to silence themselves FOR-EV-ER.

BlaqOptic wrote:
KiddKillah

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't Ray come back for the post-season?

Kudos 2 Mike Matt 2011 On The Sig
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This really, really sucks. And that's putting it mildly.

I would absolutely hate for Ray Lewis' last snap to be in the embarrassing, inept defensive performance that was that Dallas game. He doesn't deserve that, and the Ravens fans don't deserve that either.

But, the team has to move on at some point, and hand the reins to Joe Flacco and the offense. This is Joe's team now, and it's Joe's time to step up and be the leader they need. It's far more abrupt than anyone would have wanted, but sometimes you just have to roll with the punches and recover.

If Ray decided to call it a day, I could live with it. He's got nothing left to prove to anyone. And if the Ravens somehow did make it to the Superbowl, at least he'd be there on the sideline inspiring his teammates to play their hearts out and win it.

And the thing is, the pressure is off now. No more talking heads blathering about the Ravens possibly being "the best team in football", no more expectations to go one step further after last year's disappointment. No one in the media will think they can do it, and this team always plays better when people are telling them 'you can't do it'.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ravens_rool28 wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
BareYourTeeth wrote:

I would love for Ray to be our defensive coordinator right now. Wink
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mancunian Raven wrote:
This really, really sucks. And that's putting it mildly.

I would absolutely hate for Ray Lewis' last snap to be in the embarrassing, inept defensive performance that was that Dallas game. He doesn't deserve that, and the Ravens fans don't deserve that either.

But, the team has to move on at some point, and hand the reins to Joe Flacco and the offense. This is Joe's team now, and it's Joe's time to step up and be the leader they need. It's far more abrupt than anyone would have wanted, but sometimes you just have to roll with the punches and recover.

If Ray decided to call it a day, I could live with it. He's got nothing left to prove to anyone. And if the Ravens somehow did make it to the Superbowl, at least he'd be there on the sideline inspiring his teammates to play their hearts out and win it.

And the thing is, the pressure is off now. No more talking heads blathering about the Ravens possibly being "the best team in football", no more expectations to go one step further after last year's disappointment. No one in the media will think they can do it, and this team always plays better when people are telling them 'you can't do it'.

Agreed. You're quickly becoming one of my favorite posters here.

Yeah, this just won't feel as special. Sure there's always the second wave of our defensive starters that could win their Super Bowl in Suggs, Reed, Ngata... but it's not the same as seeing Ray Lewis come out of that tunnel... dancing side to side and doing the "Squirrel"... Seeing the win as his last send off.

That Cowboys game was so unfair. It robbed us of so much. I honestly didn't care much about the game. All I wanted was to get in there and get out... preferably with a win. But no, now Lewis and Webb are out for the season.

Really this team... is probably the least I've ever cared about a Ravens team now. No great defense, horrible coordinating, no Suggs to start, no Webb after extension, and now worse of all... no Ray Lewis. Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KiddKillah wrote:
Couldn't Ray come back for the post-season?

I don't think so. These kinds of injuries are pretty serious.

Like others have said I don't think we see much of a decline on the field but the mental side of the game is taking a blow. Now it almost seems like a good thing that the defense isn't as exotic anymore with them switching alignments right before the snap since they don't have Lewis to line the players up.

I'm really starting to expect the Ravens to make some kind of move before the trade deadline now. They have ammo with the probability of getting multiple quality compensation picks (can't trade those but it makes it easier to trade their own). Something needs to happen on defense and I don't think Suggs coming back will be enough.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just been doing some research on torn triceps to see if- a possible return for the playoffs- might be possible. With the triceps being fully torn, it's going to require surgery. So here's what it says:
Torn Bicep Surgery & Rehabilitation wrote:
After 10 days to two weeks, therapy bands or pulleys are used for further range-of-motion movements and to strengthen the arm. The exercises increase in intensity until 6- to 8-weeks have passed. Then, some moderate weight bearing exercises are performed, such as running, fast walking and weightlifting.

So as of right now, it's Mid-October. Surgery should happen by the 20th. So arm in the sling for two weeks would give us November 3rd. Now we insert the pulleys and rehabilitate for 8 weeks (2 months), we're now at Friday, December 29th.

The last game of the season is December 30th against the Cincinnati Bengals. Now we have playoffs. January 6th would be the wildcard round. January 13th would be the divisional round. And January 20th would be the Conference Championships. Probowl. Then Super Bowl.

So after surgery and rehabilitation, Lewis could potentially start lifting weights and have 3-5 weeks of weight lifting... if the Ravens are able to make it to a) the AFCCG or b) the Super Bowl...

Now if Ray Lewis' body is able to heal like a champ and we take the shortest recovery times into account and start surgery tomorrow (the 16th), we're looking at being able to resume weight lifting starting Friday, Dec. 7th... which would put us just past the final Steelers game and at week 14 (Redskins). So in best case scenario, Lewis could have been weight lifting for 4 weeks by playoff time... and 5 weeks if we're able to get the first round bye.

The only problem with the above scenarios is being placed on IR would effectively end Lewis for the entire season. But Lewis seems like the perfect candidate to utilize the new NFL rule change where we can place him on the IR return list since he'll be out for a long time, but has a possible chance of returning at some point in the post-season, whereas someone like Webb is going to be out at least until next season... and assuming some other player goes down with a serious injury, the chances that they're able to get back by the playoffs would be slim and more slim with each passing week.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this just sucks.

Hopefully Ray still has the fire to go on next year because I'd hate for him to go out on the back of a long term injury and not on his own terms - I think he has earned that right.

@DB424 bicep =/= tricep, and that makes a difference in terms of rehab/recovery because of the anatomy. If you tear the biceps, you can at least still flex your elbow as there is another muscle (brachioradialis) that flexes the elbow. The triceps is the only muscle that extends/straightens the elbow, so the healing time/time needed to wait before rehab starts would be longer.

The fact that its being reported as a complete tear makes me think that its likely to be a tendon tear, which if true really sucks because tendons don't heal well because they don't have great blood supply. I'm thinking he's more likely to take 4+ months than the 10-12 weeks you've calculated.

Also, we've already used the "IR - designated to return" status on Suggs and AFAIK you can only use it once per season

**I'm not a an orthopaedic surgeon so I can't say exactly. I'm just going off of what I've read and my limited medical knowledge from being a patient/following other athlete's injuries**

Stone85 & mike23md on the sig!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: