Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Patriots Draft Prospects 2013
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 58, 59, 60  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BP wrote:
These are my top 15 wide outs from this years from class:

1. Justin Hunter
2. Cordarrelle Patterson
3. Keenan Allen
4. Tavon Austin
5. Stedman Bailey
6. DeAndre Hopkins
7. Quinton Patton
8. Ryan Swope
9. Markus Wheaton
10. Robert Woods
11. Terrance Williams
12. Da'Rick Rogers
13. Kenny Stills
14. Marquise Goodwin
15. Aaron Dobson

Solid class overall. Best place to draft one this year is somewhere between the mid and late second round.

williams is ahead of everybody but Patterson, woods and wheaton > swope & patton. Austin...he is a gimmick guy. He will be a good player, but hes not a true receiver. He cant above most of the guys on that list.

Finally saw some aaron dobson film. big guy, athletic with good top speed, strong hands. At a bigger school, hes a 1st rounder.

I see the Patriots interviewed him at the combine. Also talked to Patterson. ANy other word?
"A sunny disposition is worth more than fortune. Young people should know that it can be cultivated; that the mind like the body can be moved from the shade into sunshine. Thine own reproach alone do fear"
rabbisson

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
rabbisson wrote:
Multiple teams are looking at Swearinger as a first round pick. He and Allen are completely different types of football players, and the tape bears that conclusion out.

Swearinger and Allen also played different positions in college. Allen was a LB rover type, Swearinger was a deep safety. Even though Swearinger didn't test incredibly well, he was called on to do much more one-on-one coverage than Allen had to do in college, and succeeded at it when tested.

So yeah, they're not really comparable prospects. Allen may have looked better in shorts, but he doesn't have nearly the hips or experience as a safety that Swearinger has.

I will laugh pretty hard if Swearinger goes in round 1 (as long as it's not to New England)

Apparently the Steelers have looked at him in Round 1 as a potential successor to Polamalu. And other teams like him as well: the Panthers, the Bengals, even the Patriots. So it's very possible.

Iggles wrote:
This guy gets it. Seriously, the ideas being espoused here need to get to 88 mph so they can go back to the 1950's.

I'm a cold-blooded dickens.
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Come draft day, when teams start taking based on style and scheme fit, as well as FS vs SS and I doubt that Vaccaro, Elam, Reid, Cyprien and Swearinger are the first 5.

That's a pretty safe guess seeing as if there's any one position the media butchers the most in mock drafts, its safety.

I like Swearinger personally. My problem with him is that I see a high floor and a low upside. I think others see the dreads and the couple of highlight hits, and group him with flashy athletic guys like Brandon Meriweather and Michael Griffin. But the couple of SC games I watched left me with the impression that he's a reliable but limited player. Not rangy, not going to get stops in the backfield in pursuit, not going be a stopper on tight ends... in the first round you take big swings, rightly or not, and DJ doesn't seem like one.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rabbisson wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
rabbisson wrote:
Multiple teams are looking at Swearinger as a first round pick. He and Allen are completely different types of football players, and the tape bears that conclusion out.

Swearinger and Allen also played different positions in college. Allen was a LB rover type, Swearinger was a deep safety. Even though Swearinger didn't test incredibly well, he was called on to do much more one-on-one coverage than Allen had to do in college, and succeeded at it when tested.

So yeah, they're not really comparable prospects. Allen may have looked better in shorts, but he doesn't have nearly the hips or experience as a safety that Swearinger has.

I will laugh pretty hard if Swearinger goes in round 1 (as long as it's not to New England)

Apparently the Steelers have looked at him in Round 1 as a potential successor to Polamalu. And other teams like him as well: the Panthers, the Bengals, even the Patriots. So it's very possible.

I'm sure plenty of teams like him. I'm sure plenty more teams are leaking that they like him when they probably don't.

I believe very little I read this time of year.

DJ Swearinger isn't one of the top 32 prospects in this draft (personally, I wouldn't put him in my top 80). If he goes in round 1, it's more of a statement of how bad this class is and how poor NFL safeties are than of him being a top prospect.

That's not to take anything away from him as a player, but as a prospect, he has done very little to show that he is worth a 1st round consideration.
SFPatsFan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fully expect us to trade down and get some mid round picks and a guy I am looking at is Devin Taylor from South Carolina.

Pros:
He is taller than Chandler Jones, has longer arms, a better broad jump, bigger hands,same weight, same vertical, a faster 3-cone time and 40 time. He was All SEC and All sophomore team in 2010 as well as All SEC honorable mention in 2011. In high school he played Basketball and ran track winning the state triple jump title so athleticism seems to be there. His frame would easily allow him to put on 20+ pounds and play around 290. Has played standing and with his hand in the dirt with the occasional drop back into coverage.

Cons:
For all his physical tools his stats don't really seem to match up. He played with Melvin Ingram and Jadeveon Clowney being the main focus but hasn't really been able to take advantage of one on one match ups. He's not a very smooth or explosive athlete and for as long as he is he doesn't use his length particularly well. Stats have gotten worse every year and only had 3 sacks as a senior. Can play too high and doesn't have violent hands like Chandler does. Hasn't forced a fumble in 3 years but wraps up well and doesn't really go for the flashy big hits and strips.

Overall:
Very interesting player who I would look at maybe in the 3rd where BB has taken some players with great physical tools and slightly lacking stats. If he can get coached up to keep his pad level down, learn some more pass rushing moves and have a Jermaine Cunningham type bulk up(hopefully without the suspension) I think we can have our freakishly long bookends in a year or two.

Devin Taylor vs Alabama and Georgia
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caMRfFsBOVY
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lavar Edwards is really flying under the radar right now. I think he goes 2nd round.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

24isthelaw wrote:
Lavar Edwards is really flying under the radar right now. I think he goes 2nd round.

I think he's probably a #3 DE in the NFL. A high-quality rotational player or a starter on a mediocre line.

Not sure he's worth a 2nd round pick but I do think he will be a nice addition to someone's roster.
BP

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
24isthelaw wrote:

I think he's probably a #3 DE in the NFL. A high-quality rotational player or a starter on a mediocre line.

Not sure he's worth a 2nd round pick but I do think he will be a nice addition to someone's roster.
I wouldn't mind the Pats drafting him in the 3rd to replace rob ninkovich eventually.
rabbisson

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lavar Edwards would be a classic Belichickian pick...so definitely possible.

Iggles wrote:
This guy gets it. Seriously, the ideas being espoused here need to get to 88 mph so they can go back to the 1950's.

BP

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NextBigThing wrote:
BP wrote:

1. Justin Hunter
2. Cordarrelle Patterson
3. Keenan Allen
4. Tavon Austin
5. Stedman Bailey
6. DeAndre Hopkins
7. Quinton Patton
8. Ryan Swope
9. Markus Wheaton
10. Robert Woods
11. Terrance Williams
12. Da'Rick Rogers
13. Kenny Stills
14. Marquise Goodwin
15. Aaron Dobson

Solid class overall. Best place to draft one this year is somewhere between the mid and late second round.

williams is ahead of everybody but Patterson, woods and wheaton > swope & patton. Austin...he is a gimmick guy. He will be a good player, but hes not a true receiver. He cant above most of the guys on that list.

Finally saw some aaron dobson film. big guy, athletic with good top speed, strong hands. At a bigger school, hes a 1st rounder.

I see the Patriots interviewed him at the combine. Also talked to Patterson. ANy other word?
I'm sorry but Terrance Williams is clearly not better than Cordarrelle Patterson, Justin Hunter, Markus Wheaton, or DeAndre Hopkins and I maintain that guys like Tavon Austin and Ryan Swope are more valuable as slot receivers than Williams is split out wide. Williams is comparable to Stedman Bailey, Keenan Allen, Quinton Patton and Robert Woods and on a good day better than maybe only a couple of them. I don't understand your manlove for Williams, don't you usually go for the long, dark, and handsome track star type?
Deadpulse

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BP wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:
BP wrote:

1. Justin Hunter
2. Cordarrelle Patterson
3. Keenan Allen
4. Tavon Austin
5. Stedman Bailey
6. DeAndre Hopkins
7. Quinton Patton
8. Ryan Swope
9. Markus Wheaton
10. Robert Woods
11. Terrance Williams
12. Da'Rick Rogers
13. Kenny Stills
14. Marquise Goodwin
15. Aaron Dobson

I'm sorry but Terrance Williams is clearly not better than Cordarrelle Patterson, Justin Hunter, Markus Wheaton, or DeAndre Hopkins and I maintain that guys like Tavon Austin and Ryan Swope are more valuable as slot receivers than Williams is split out wide. Williams is comparable to Stedman Bailey, Keenan Allen, Quinton Patton and Robert Woods and on a good day better than maybe only a couple of them. I don't understand your manlove for Williams, don't you usually go for the long, dark, and handsome track star type?

Williams is extremely boom or bust IMO. He has good body control and can track the ball well in the air and go get it. However, he isnt very fast or very quick and took advantage of soft coverage. He is physical enough to fight but from watching some tape, it seems like NFL corners could shut him down. He has a Moss like affinity of not finishing his routes when he isnt the primary receiver and a Lloyd like affinity of falling to the ground without getting touched. He is a good blocker on the perimeter though, which could endear him to NFL coaches. His lack of versatility and limited route tree won't though. He could very well develop or he could wind up as one of those really good college players who's game doesn't translate to the NFL level.

Sigs
Patriots Red Sox Celtics
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BP wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:
BP wrote:

1. Justin Hunter
2. Cordarrelle Patterson
3. Keenan Allen
4. Tavon Austin
5. Stedman Bailey
6. DeAndre Hopkins
7. Quinton Patton
8. Ryan Swope
9. Markus Wheaton
10. Robert Woods
11. Terrance Williams
12. Da'Rick Rogers
13. Kenny Stills
14. Marquise Goodwin
15. Aaron Dobson

I don't usually agree with NBT on WR's, but IMO Williams is the #2 WR in the draft. The only guy I'd put ahead of him is Patterson.

I'd put Bailey, Hopkins, Swope, Patton and Wheaton all a full step below Williams and Patterson and half a step below Allen and Hunter.
rabbisson

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terrance Williams could be developed into a decent player down the road, but I wasn't especially impressed with his tape. I like him as a deep threat but I prefer Wheaton to him. Wheaton has 4.3 speed, is super versatile, and has great high pointing ball skills.

Iggles wrote:

NextBigThing

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to remind everyone that Williams had 156 catches for 2,789 yards, 23 touchdowns, and something like 20 catches over 40 yards in the past 2 seasons. Don't worry about what a 40 time says, he is a very explosive player. Very quick feet, great instincts, great ball skills and hands. He actually reminds me of a taller Chad Johnson with 4.4 game speed even though he runs a 4.5 40.

At this point, he is a much better receiver than Patterson is. He just lacks Patterson's all universe athleticism.
"A sunny disposition is worth more than fortune. Young people should know that it can be cultivated; that the mind like the body can be moved from the shade into sunshine. Thine own reproach alone do fear"
I_GET_SAX

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GFW, I was just wondering what you thought of the differences between Short and Sly at DT and where you realistically see them falling or fitting best in the NFL draft? I know we have stated what we like about Williams and his explosiveness...I am seeing these guys as real possiblities if they are available depending on whats done in CB and WR during FA period...whis is about 2 weeks away now...thanks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Page 30 of 60

Jump to: