Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Patriots Draft Prospects 2013
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 58, 59, 60  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nihc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clowney 2014 Laughing

2013 Adopt-a-Patriot - Tommy Kelly
Tackles: 19 | Sacks: 1.5 | QB Hits: 5 | TFL: 1 | Fumble Recoveries: 1
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nihc wrote:
Clowney 2014 Laughing

Guess you're hoping for the Pats to go 1-15 next year then Laughing

Clowney is going to be a top 2 or 3 pick, and probably #1 overall.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NextBigThing wrote:
young juice wrote:
All these mock drafts have the Pats selecting WR

don't we have more pressing needs?

No.

If the Pats re-sign Welker, a WR is a terrible idea in the 1st round.
Nihc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Nihc wrote:
Clowney 2014 Laughing

Win SB this year, trade Brady, bomb next two years and get Clowney & next Luck/RG3 -> win for next 15 years.

mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nihc wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Nihc wrote:
Clowney 2014 Laughing

Win SB this year, trade Brady, bomb next two years and get Clowney & next Luck/RG3 -> win for next 15 years.

I hope you're joking
Nihc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

everyone is so srs on this forum.

I'm joking, but if you feasibly could trade Brady for 2 1st rounders in addition to having the #1 pick next year to pick up Clowney and the year after to get a Luck type QB prospect, you wouldn't do that?

mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nihc wrote:

I'm joking, but if you feasibly could trade Brady for 2 1st rounders in addition to having the #1 pick next year to pick up Clowney and the year after to get a Luck type QB prospect, you wouldn't do that?

No chance I trade Brady. Period.

The only scenario under which trading Brady makes any sense is if there was a budding star backing him up who was forcing your hand.

Any other trade of Brady is really foolish for what should be very obvious reasons.
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nihc wrote:

No way. How many players have ever existed who are as good as Tom Brady? What do you think is the probability you draft one?

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

re-signing welker given price he will command & how poor his hands have been would be foolish.

Nihc wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Nihc wrote:
Clowney 2014 Laughing

you make clowney sound like he is randy moss circa 1997. "Once in a generation" dont come around every 2-3 years.

Brady should be a patriot for life.

^Props to BenderRodriguez for the GOAT of FF's sigs! Very Happy
redsoxsrule1437

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember when ICB said we should have traded Brady and kept Cassel? Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redsoxsrule1437 wrote:
Remember when ICB said we should have traded Brady and kept Cassel? Laughing

Not that I agree but I think it goes without saying that MC would have been far better had he stayed here than the player he became in KC.

Frankly, 2nd half of 08 Cassel > Brady through all of 2009.

mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NextBigThing wrote:
re-signing welker given price he will command & how poor his hands have been would be foolish.

Serious question for you then. Assuming you let Welker go with the idea of replacing him with a 1st round WR - how would you fill the other holes on the team (DB, DL, OL depth etc)?

I don't think it's a given that a late 1st round WR is going to be able to walk into the Pats offense and succeed right away - and if you can get beyond your usual silliness as it regards to WR's - I think you might agree.

And any idea of a trade up into the top 15 is just crazy IMO.

I'm OK with Welker going and going to the draft for a WR but it has to be part of a multi-dimensional off-season strategy where the Pats add a 2nd tier WR (Amendola?) and a big time defensive talent.
Nihc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would only consider it if it was a Clowney + Luck + multiple firsts.

NextBigThing

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Serious question for you then. Assuming you let Welker go with the idea of replacing him with a 1st round WR - how would you fill the other holes on the team (DB, DL, OL depth etc)?

I don't think it's a given that a late 1st round WR is going to be able to walk into the Pats offense and succeed right away - and if you can get beyond your usual silliness as it regards to WR's - I think you might agree.

I'm OK with Welker going and going to the draft for a WR but it has to be part of a multi-dimensional off-season strategy where the Pats add a 2nd tier WR (Amendola?) and a big time defensive talent.

It is tough to say, really. How quickly they adjust will depend on the player. Aaron Hernandez adjusted in no time, for example. At the same time, there are 3 obvious examples of other guys who did not pan out.

It seems to me given free agency, draft prospects, and the market outlook, receiver should be addressed through the draft rather than big bucks in FA. Spend the big bucks on a guy like Byrd or Golshon.

Welker or not, I think we should draft a receiver at some point in this draft. I think said receiver needs to play early and often. He needs to be on the field. Don't ask him to do too much right away, rather keep it simple. But he needs to be on the field.

My off season strategy would be pretty simple. I would let Welker walk, franchise Volmer & re-sgn talib. I would try to trade back from the first into the mid 2nd, hopefully picking a 4th or 5th round pick.

It would depend on who was available, but ideally with the first 2nd pick we go defensive line, left end. With the 2nd round pick, pick 64, we go wide receiver. I think this is a fine year to go receiver in the draft, too. Not man teams have overly pressing needs at wide receiver, and those that do will very likely address them in free agency with guys like Welker, Bowe, Jennings, Wallace, and Amendola all possibly changing teams. Depending in the price, it is quite possible the Patriots sign one of these guys too, and thus really negate the need to draft one high. But either way, between depth & lack of demand, this is a fine year to draft a receiver. Lot of good talent, and it is going to drop.

Miami, Houston, and Minnesota are the most likely teams to draft a receiver in round 1, and that likely changes if they land a free agent as rumored. Miami looks to be a big spot for Jennings, which would make it doubtful they go wide out in round 1. Minnesota and Houston seem like the most likely to draft a receiver. Keenan Allen and Juntin Hunter will be the first two off the boards in my opinion, based on stats and expected combines. Depending on the how the draft plays out, the Pats could be in an excellent position to draft two instant impact players with high potential.

This my final ranking of wide receivers:

1. Brandon Coleman
2. Cordarelle Patterson
3. Terrance Williams
4. Justin Hunter
5. Deadre Hopkins
6. Keenan Allen
7. Darrick Rodgers
8. Tavon Austin
9. Robert Woods
10. Marcus Wheaton
11. Jordan Matthews
12. Aaron Dobson
13. Marquese Wilson
14. Kenny Stills
15. Cob Hamilton
16. Stedman Bailey
17. Quinton Patton

It would really just comedown to the big board, full of LDE and WR's. With the 1st 2nd rounder, you take the BPA. With the other 2nd round pick, you go BPA at the other position. Hypothetical combinations would be Terrance Williams at 46 & Marcus Hunt at 64, or Ezekiel Ansah at 46 and Brandon Coleman at 64. Safety would ideally be addressed in FA. So it would be

1. Let Welker Walk
2. Franchise Volmer
3. Re-sign Talib
4. Sign free agent safety
5. trade down into mid 2nd
6. Draft BPA WR & DT in round 2

Either way as far as receivers go, the Patriots will have to be f up pretty badly to not either sign a talented free agent for not a lot of money, or draft a very talented receiver fairly low in the draft.

mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NextBigThing wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:

It is tough to say, really. How quickly they adjust will depend on the player. Aaron Hernandez adjusted in no time, for example. At the same time, there are 3 obvious examples of other guys who did not pan out.

It seems to me given free agency, draft prospects, and the market outlook, receiver should be addressed through the draft rather than big bucks in FA. Spend the big bucks on a guy like Byrd or Golshon.

Welker or not, I think we should draft a receiver at some point in this draft. I think said receiver needs to play early and often. He needs to be on the field. Don't ask him to do too much right away, rather keep it simple. But he needs to be on the field.

My off season strategy would be pretty simple. I would let Welker walk, franchise Volmer & re-sgn talib. I would try to trade back from the first into the mid 2nd, hopefully picking a 4th or 5th round pick.

It would depend on who was available, but ideally with the first 2nd pick we go defensive line, left end. With the 2nd round pick, pick 64, we go wide receiver. I think this is a fine year to go receiver in the draft, too. Not man teams have overly pressing needs at wide receiver, and those that do will very likely address them in free agency with guys like Welker, Bowe, Jennings, Wallace, and Amendola all possibly changing teams. Depending in the price, it is quite possible the Patriots sign one of these guys too, and thus really negate the need to draft one high. But either way, between depth & lack of demand, this is a fine year to draft a receiver. Lot of good talent, and it is going to drop.

Miami, Houston, and Minnesota are the most likely teams to draft a receiver in round 1, and that likely changes if they land a free agent as rumored. Miami looks to be a big spot for Jennings, which would make it doubtful they go wide out in round 1. Minnesota and Houston seem like the most likely to draft a receiver. Keenan Allen and Juntin Hunter will be the first two off the boards in my opinion, based on stats and expected combines. Depending on the how the draft plays out, the Pats could be in an excellent position to draft two instant impact players with high potential.

This my final ranking of wide receivers:

1. Brandon Coleman
2. Cordarelle Patterson
3. Terrance Williams
4. Justin Hunter
5. Deadre Hopkins
6. Keenan Allen
7. Darrick Rodgers
8. Tavon Austin
9. Robert Woods
10. Marcus Wheaton
11. Jordan Matthews
12. Aaron Dobson
13. Marquese Wilson
14. Kenny Stills
15. Cob Hamilton
16. Stedman Bailey
17. Quinton Patton

It would really just comedown to the big board, full of LDE and WR's. With the 1st 2nd rounder, you take the BPA. With the other 2nd round pick, you go BPA at the other position. Hypothetical combinations would be Terrance Williams at 46 & Marcus Hunt at 64, or Ezekiel Ansah at 46 and Brandon Coleman at 64. Safety would ideally be addressed in FA. So it would be

1. Let Welker Walk
2. Franchise Volmer
3. Re-sign Talib
4. Sign free agent safety
5. trade down into mid 2nd
6. Draft BPA WR & DT in round 2

Sorry NBT but the idea of letting Welker go and replacing him with a late 2nd round pick is pretty crazy. That's just asking for a noticeable drop in offense. I know Welker has been frustrating at times this year, but he's not as easily replaceable as some make him out to be.

I don't think any "let Welker go" plan works without adding a veteran wide receiver which is why IMO it doesn't make sense to go early to WR as a replacement. Take a WR early if the value is there and certainly more depth is needed at the position but to replace Welker? Totally crazy.

Also, and it's a topic for another thread, the idea of franchising Vollmer is insane. They might end up doing it, but I can't imagine a worse (and still realistic) use of the tag or a big chunk of the payroll.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Page 14 of 60

Jump to: