Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Patriots Draft Prospects 2013
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
goldfishwars

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Patriots Draft Prospects 2013 Reply with quote

I don't think it's too early yet and I can't find another thread about it - so I thought I'd kick off with a few prospects I like at positions of need. Feel free to add your own or discuss positions we should target etc.

Chance Warmack - G, Alabama

True senior from Alabama - has been a little underrated until last year when he was opening up lanes for Trent Richardson. He's a plug and play Guard, who is perhaps slightly short (6'3) for the modern game - but he's stout (320 pounds) and is a light mover on his feet with long arms that have made for pretty crushing blocks this year. probably a top 15 rated prospect at this point - but probably falls because if positional value.

Eric Reid* - FS, LSU

Obviously might not declare next year - but right now the 6'2 and 208 pount free-safety is an intriguing prospect following in a line of dynamic LSU secondary draft prospects. He's the kind of all-round, athletic, high-end coverage skills that you look for in a Safety prospect and heaven knows we're in need of some natural ability there right now.

Xavier Rhodes* - CB, Florida State

Again, might not declare next year - but having flirted with coming out this year, there's a chance he might skip his final year. He's a big corner at 6'2 and 215 and has had comparisons to Patrick Peterson. Whilst not yet the playmaker Peterson, he's a little more blue-collar - a rugged outside presence who is excellent in run support and beat up his man at the line of scrimmage.

Kawann Short - DT, Purdue

Another guy who flirted with coming out early last season. He's a two-year captain, high character guy - who has played all along the line (NT, DT and DE). He has a great first step and initial burst - whilst there are motor questions around the guy - he seems to be the type of prospect you can bring in and out initially, and just let him go after the QB.

Barrett Jones - C/G/T, Alabama

Another plug and play O-line guy from Alabama. His successful switch to Center this year has made him a more intriguing prospect after spending time at Guard and Left Tackle last season, where answered a lot of questions around his athleticism and was excellent. Whilst not having the raw power of Chance Warmack, he's a real technician and someone whose versatily would bring relief to an often banged-up unit in NE.

Aaron Dobson - WR, Marshall

One of my favourite Wide Receiver prospects and one performing under the shadow of more celebrated prospects in Justin Hunter, Robert Woods and co. Dobson is 6'2 and 205 pounds and has the best hands of any prospect in the draft. He's the kind of big-play athletic wide receiver we've long talked about drafting, knowing it'll probably never happen - still, not many are talking about this kid and could end up being an early round steal in a crowded big-man class.

Johnthan Banks - CB, Mississippi State

Another corner who'll match up against bigger receivers with his excellent size and length. Really aggressive as a run-defender, he's also quick and tough to beat deep. He's another larger corner, of which there are a few in next year's draft and at least one should make their way to the Pats on draft day.

Alex Okafor - DE, Texas

There's a whole bunch of intriguing DE prospects available in the draft next year and one or two should be available to us in the 1st or 2nd round. Okafor is one that jumps out with the natural size for a 4-3 DE. At 6'4 and 260 - he's not dissimilar to Chandler Jones and is a stout run-defender as well as being able to generate 17 QB pressures last year.

Kenny Vaccaro - SS, Texas

Has been used all over the place in Texas, playing tight coverage, as an in the box hitter and also showing up as an effective blitzer picking up a couple of sacks and 6.5 tackles for a loss. At 6'1 and 215, he has good size for the position and can deliver a hit without being reckless and he's good in coverage. Really like this kid if we're looking for a strong safety prospect.
Richter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was all over Barrett Jones as a Pats draft target next year, but at this point, I want either a DT, DE or secondary player early. Regardless of how this season turns out, I want something like DT, S, CB, DE with the first four picks.
TomRalph

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richter wrote:
I was all over Barrett Jones as a Pats draft target next year, but at this point, I want either a DT, DE or secondary player early. Regardless of how this season turns out, I want something like DT, S, CB, DE with the first four picks.

I can see us going all defense just as w did last off season. This O-Line can be coached up, we know what Scar is capable of, but the D just needs talent because the coaching is simply failing us.

Adopt-a-Patriot '14: Danny Amendola
Catches: 4
goldfishwars

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richter wrote:

Kind of with you - I'm torn at the moment. I guess whilst the interior line has not been the problem we thought it might be - far from it, Barrett's versatility would be awful handy having spent time at left tackle and not missing a beat. Secondary is starting to look like one mother of a need, yet again. After yesterday, a giant nasty sun of a gun the kind of which seem to grow on trees in Seattle seems awfully tempting.
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goldfishwars wrote:
Richter wrote:

Kind of with you - I'm torn at the moment. I guess whilst the interior line has not been the problem we thought it might be - far from it, Barrett's versatility would be awful handy having spent time at left tackle and not missing a beat. Secondary is starting to look like one mother of a need, yet again. After yesterday, a giant nasty sun of a gun the kind of which seem to grow on trees in Seattle seems awfully tempting.

We have a "giant, nasty, sun of a gun" already. His name is Ras-I Dowling and he rides the pine. I have no confidence in this team to develop corners anymore. Might as well keep using UDFAs. The OL is starved of talent right now, after burning all those picks on defensive players, but the needs on defense are hard to ignore.

I want an under tackle type badly in the draft but I'm not sure who that would be. Don't watch enough CFB. I know Sheldon Richardson of Mizzou has generated some buzz as a 2nd round type guy.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
Sciz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My biggest worry on the OL for next year isn't even any of the interior spots. It's what they'll do at RT if Vollmer leaves.
TomRalph

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciz wrote:
My biggest worry on the OL for next year isn't even any of the interior spots. It's what they'll do at RT if Vollmer leaves.

This is just scare mongering now.

Matt Light and Brian Waters? Confused

Adopt-a-Patriot '14: Danny Amendola
Catches: 4
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin Hunter
A sunny disposition is worth more than fortune. Young people should know that it can be cultivated; that the mind like the body can be moved from the shade into sunshine. Thine own reproach alone do fear
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciz wrote:

If Vollmer leaves, I'd guess they will go with Cannon or a high/mid pick (2nd-4th round type). Vollmer will almost certainly re-sign or be gone by the time the draft rolls around so they can react accordingly
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dobson can fly, but he his routes were pretty damn bad. IDK. I'd prefer just trading way up and drafting Hunter. Very Happy
A sunny disposition is worth more than fortune. Young people should know that it can be cultivated; that the mind like the body can be moved from the shade into sunshine. Thine own reproach alone do fear
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

24isthelaw wrote:
goldfishwars wrote:
Richter wrote:

We have a "giant, nasty, sun of a gun" already. His name is Ras-I Dowling and he rides the pine. I have no confidence in this team to develop corners anymore. Might as well keep using UDFAs. The OL is starved of talent right now, after burning all those picks on defensive players, but the needs on defense are hard to ignore.

I want an under tackle type badly in the draft but I'm not sure who that would be. Don't watch enough CFB. I know Sheldon Richardson of Mizzou has generated some buzz as a 2nd round type guy.

The OL isn't "starved of talent."

Mankins is overpaid but still pretty good

Solder has been good and looks very promising at the most important position

Wendell and Connolly are serviceable centers and Connolly is
passable at RG (he's been better this year than I expected given his previous performances at that spot)

RT is an issue and there isn't much depth beyond McDonald but outside of a real bona fide 1st round road grader type, I don't see a need for a big investment in the OL. I know it has been a source of big game flops, and I wouldn't object to a top talent being brought in, but right now the defense needs more high-end talent in a big way.
NinjaZX6R

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want Lester from Bama.
homerjay24

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think instead of going after Barrett Jones or Warmack early, they'll target James Ferentz in the middle rounds instead. He's a little undersized, but technique wise it's hard to think of a player other than the Alabama guys that would be able to pick up NE's system than the son of a former Belichick OL coach.

That would at least allow them to target defense again early and still be able to get a player who can impact the OL quickly.
Rec: 100 (3rd in NFL)
Yds: 1,172 (9th in NFL)
TDs: 4
Stickin' it in Bill's face one game at a time.
Sciz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Sciz wrote:

If Vollmer leaves, I'd guess they will go with Cannon or a high/mid pick (2nd-4th round type). Vollmer will almost certainly re-sign or be gone by the time the draft rolls around so they can react accordingly

Exactly what I was thinking, but I know not many would be happy entering the season with Cannon or a non-first round rookie starting at RT.

The main reason I think Vollmer is gone is that he has LT ability, so somebody is inevitably going to offer him LT money. The only free agent that makes any sense to me is Andre Smith, because he's a RT who is not going to get LT money, but even he is a huge stretch.

homerjay24 wrote:
I think instead of going after Barrett Jones or Warmack early, they'll target James Ferentz in the middle rounds instead. He's a little undersized, but technique wise it's hard to think of a player other than the Alabama guys that would be able to pick up NE's system than the son of a former Belichick OL coach.

Don't forget the fact that his position coach (who happens to be his brother) was the Pats' TE coach last year.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciz wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Sciz wrote:

Exactly what I was thinking, but I know not many would be happy entering the season with Cannon or a non-first round rookie starting at RT.

Expecting a 1st round rookie at RT is crazy, so anyone who cries about a non 1st rounder there deserves ridicule.

I do think though that there is a happy medium between what we saw of Cannon in camp and a 1st rounder.

Quote:

The main reason I think Vollmer is gone is that he has LT ability, so somebody is inevitably going to offer him LT money. The only free agent that makes any sense to me is Andre Smith, because he's a RT who is not going to get LT money, but even he is a huge stretch.

I'd agree with this. Barring more (and serious) injury issues in the next 2 months, some team is going to offer him pretty big bucks and I doubt the Pats want to pay him. He's going to be 29 in 2013 and has had a few injury issues (most concerning is the back). I would really be surprised if the Pats keep him unless he takes a big discount.

Honestly, I expect a pretty heavy turnover of the "young veterans" this offseason. Brace, Chung, Vollmer are all IMO headed out of town and I could see Arrington going as well. Not necessarily a bad thing, as all of those guys are easily replaceable or (in Vollmer's case) you might be able to reallocate the money to a more important position.

On a vaguely related sidenote - I wouldn't be surprised if Brace is cut if/when Pryor is ready to come back. The only thing tying him to the roster is his ability to back up Wilfork on the nose and IMO Love can cover that if needed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Page 1 of 60

Jump to: