Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ryan Clady
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
coach4fu


Joined: 19 Sep 2012
Posts: 103
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Ryan Clady Reply with quote

I know that Ryan is a free agent this year and that talks were broken off before the year began. How is Ryan playing this year? Is he back to his rookie form or he is still struggling with injuries and consistency? Will Denver have him back and will they "break the bank" for him?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Russell2Bailey


Joined: 20 Mar 2008
Posts: 12905
Location: Where I will, I'll roam.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he doesn't get extended, he'll get the Franchise Tag. End of Story. He's been much better this year than the past 2 years. The Patellar injury has hurt him in the long run but he's still a quality player at LT.
_________________
[quote="Reggie Nelson#1"] Radio-"Peyton give the ball to Ball. Ball drops the ball & Ball scoops it up! He's going downfield, TOUCHDOWN! Ball pats him on the back for when he lost the ball."[/quote]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
JRebar913


Joined: 11 Mar 2012
Posts: 989
Location: Kansas City
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russell2Bailey wrote:
If he doesn't get extended, he'll get the Franchise Tag. End of Story. He's been much better this year than the past 2 years. The Patellar injury has hurt him in the long run but he's still a quality player at LT.


i think he has always been a great pass blocker. last year, in my opinion, really made him improve as a run blocker.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JerseysFinest27


Joined: 07 Jan 2010
Posts: 8364
Location: New Jersey... Props to inDENguise on the sig
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Ryan's been outstanding this year. He hasnt returned to "Rookie Year" Ryan Clady but hes certainly back to being a dominant LT.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AnAngryAmerican


Joined: 23 Apr 2006
Posts: 18566
Location: Loveland, CO
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Ryan Clady Reply with quote

coach4fu wrote:
I know that Ryan is a free agent this year and that talks were broken off before the year began. How is Ryan playing this year? Is he back to his rookie form or he is still struggling with injuries and consistency? Will Denver have him back and will they "break the bank" for him?

Contract talks weren't so much "broken off" as they were "shelved" when training camp approached. Elway has repeatedly said that LT is one of the key positions on the field - along with CB, pass rusher and, of course, QB - and he knows how good Clady is. I'm sure Clady will get a long-term deal before free agency begins in March. As R2B said if something unforeseen happens and agreement on a long-term deal isn't reached, Clady will get the franchise tag.
_________________
big_palooka:

Broncos CSU Rams Rockies Tiger Woods
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
broncos67


Joined: 28 Dec 2006
Posts: 22346
Location: Conshohocken
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Ryan Clady Reply with quote

AnAngryAmerican wrote:
coach4fu wrote:
I know that Ryan is a free agent this year and that talks were broken off before the year began. How is Ryan playing this year? Is he back to his rookie form or he is still struggling with injuries and consistency? Will Denver have him back and will they "break the bank" for him?

Contract talks weren't so much "broken off" as they were "shelved" when training camp approached. Elway has repeatedly said that LT is one of the key positions on the field - along with CB, pass rusher and, of course, QB - and he knows how good Clady is. I'm sure Clady will get a long-term deal before free agency begins in March. As R2B said if something unforeseen happens and agreement on a long-term deal isn't reached, Clady will get the franchise tag.


He'll be a Bronco for his career. I'm not really worried about it. We have a ton of cap room still, and you know they expected to have to pay Clady. I think the tabling of the contract talks was more of a "Let's see how you play this year before we talk Joe Thomas coin." Lived up to it so far. I think he's better than Thomas anyway, but that's not the point.
_________________


Thanks, Tzimisce
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AKRNA


Joined: 28 May 2008
Posts: 5206
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Ryan Clady Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
AnAngryAmerican wrote:
coach4fu wrote:
I know that Ryan is a free agent this year and that talks were broken off before the year began. How is Ryan playing this year? Is he back to his rookie form or he is still struggling with injuries and consistency? Will Denver have him back and will they "break the bank" for him?

Contract talks weren't so much "broken off" as they were "shelved" when training camp approached. Elway has repeatedly said that LT is one of the key positions on the field - along with CB, pass rusher and, of course, QB - and he knows how good Clady is. I'm sure Clady will get a long-term deal before free agency begins in March. As R2B said if something unforeseen happens and agreement on a long-term deal isn't reached, Clady will get the franchise tag.


He'll be a Bronco for his career. I'm not really worried about it. We have a ton of cap room still, and you know they expected to have to pay Clady. I think the tabling of the contract talks was more of a "Let's see how you play this year before we talk Joe Thomas coin." Lived up to it so far. I think he's better than Thomas anyway, but that's not the point.


He is. I'm not concerned either. No way do they let him go. I doubt he even gets to test the FA Market.

He's returning to his rookie/2nd year form and is back to "top 5" OT Status.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lomaxgr


Joined: 30 Dec 2006
Posts: 21245
Location: Manchester, England
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chandler Jones gave him a bit of trouble in the 1st half against the Pats; outside of that he has been absolutely superb in pass protection and he handles himself in the run game.

Even if we don't get him signed up long term in the offseason, he will be given the Franchise tag without question.
_________________


MUFC OK
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bobdevine


Joined: 24 Jan 2008
Posts: 2249
Location: Wisconsin
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This list puts Clady as second best OT.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/10/17/snapshot-pbe-offensive-tackles/

Quote:
# Name Team Pass Block Snaps Total Pressure Allowed PBE
1 Winston Justice IND 173 2 99.1
2 Ryan Clady DEN 240 5 98.4
3 Joe Thomas CLV 245 7 97.8
4 Duane Brown HST 197 6 97.7
5 Marshall Newhouse GB 263 8 97.3
5 Branden Albert KC 233 8 97.3
5 Jake Long MIA 213 7 97.3
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Denver4Life03


Joined: 09 Aug 2011
Posts: 189
Location: Broncos/Avs/Nuggets
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobdevine wrote:
This list puts Clady as second best OT.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/10/17/snapshot-pbe-offensive-tackles/

Quote:
# Name Team Pass Block Snaps Total Pressure Allowed PBE
1 Winston Justice IND 173 2 99.1
2 Ryan Clady DEN 240 5 98.4
3 Joe Thomas CLV 245 7 97.8
4 Duane Brown HST 197 6 97.7
5 Marshall Newhouse GB 263 8 97.3
5 Branden Albert KC 233 8 97.3
5 Jake Long MIA 213 7 97.3


Also puts Franklin as the 12th best.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JerseysFinest27


Joined: 07 Jan 2010
Posts: 8364
Location: New Jersey... Props to inDENguise on the sig
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denver4Life03 wrote:
bobdevine wrote:
This list puts Clady as second best OT.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/10/17/snapshot-pbe-offensive-tackles/

Quote:
# Name Team Pass Block Snaps Total Pressure Allowed PBE
1 Winston Justice IND 173 2 99.1
2 Ryan Clady DEN 240 5 98.4
3 Joe Thomas CLV 245 7 97.8
4 Duane Brown HST 197 6 97.7
5 Marshall Newhouse GB 263 8 97.3
5 Branden Albert KC 233 8 97.3
5 Jake Long MIA 213 7 97.3


Also puts Franklin as the 12th best.

Franklin has been playing very good football the last couple weeks. Ive watched him on the ALL22 dominate quite a lot of plays.


Since this is being brought up, I want to just say Im very glad we drafted Franklin. Most of the time last year and over the offseason, we (and most of the time me) were discussing moving him inside and acquiring another RT. However, he has certainly improved his football abilities at RT or has just gotten more comfortable playing after his rookie year. Since Kuper went down I feel like Franklin has held his own playing next to a terrible player (Ramirez) proving his worth to me. Peyton Manning has been very solid for the very reason his OT's have played quite well this year.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
big_palooka


Joined: 30 Mar 2006
Posts: 22761
Location: ATL
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denver4Life03 wrote:
bobdevine wrote:
This list puts Clady as second best OT.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/10/17/snapshot-pbe-offensive-tackles/

Quote:
# Name Team Pass Block Snaps Total Pressure Allowed PBE
1 Winston Justice IND 173 2 99.1
2 Ryan Clady DEN 240 5 98.4
3 Joe Thomas CLV 245 7 97.8
4 Duane Brown HST 197 6 97.7
5 Marshall Newhouse GB 263 8 97.3
5 Branden Albert KC 233 8 97.3
5 Jake Long MIA 213 7 97.3


Also puts Franklin as the 12th best.


PFF Rolling Eyes I really wish this sight would go away. So many variables that can't be predicted in a game for them to make such wild claims.

Not that Clady isn't a sound LT, he is. I just hate PFF. Same source that ranked Routt just under Revis and Asomugha back in 2010. And recently ranked McClain as the 8th best run stopping MLB. If that were the case, he'd have not been held to 17 snaps against Atlanta after Denver ran it at will in his direction.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lomaxgr


Joined: 30 Dec 2006
Posts: 21245
Location: Manchester, England
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerseysFinest27 wrote:
Franklin has been playing very good football the last couple weeks. Ive watched him on the ALL22 dominate quite a lot of plays.


Since this is being brought up, I want to just say Im very glad we drafted Franklin. Most of the time last year and over the offseason, we (and most of the time me) were discussing moving him inside and acquiring another RT. However, he has certainly improved his football abilities at RT or has just gotten more comfortable playing after his rookie year. Since Kuper went down I feel like Franklin has held his own playing next to a terrible player (Ramirez) proving his worth to me. Peyton Manning has been very solid for the very reason his OT's have played quite well this year.


I have to beg to differ here. Franklin was literally awful against the Patriots. Here are some of my notes re: Franklin from all 22 game film :-

Quote:
1st drive and Orlando Franklin gives us a QB hit on a simple disguised blitz. Jermaine Cunningham is stood up outside of Franklin, with Jerod Mayo in his usual Nickel LB positioning. Cunningham makes out like he is running a wide arc when really he is in man coverage on the RB, whilst Mayo attacks the B gap. Franklin goes to engage Cunningham and Mayo is allowed a free roam into the backfield. Manning throws it away, but it is awful recognition from Franklin.

Annnd Franklin is beat again for the 3rd down sack of Manning. Patriots are bringing 6, but we have Lance Ball into block so we need to be 'hat on a hat'. Everyone other than Franklin is correct in their protection assignment. After letting Mayo breeze up the B gap on the last drive, Franklin goes to block the inside man who is already being blocked by Ramirez. Ninkovich (sp) is therefore allowed to run the arc on Franklin and get to Peyton.

* There goes Franklin getting pancaked on a quick throw ... Trevor Scott this time. Ron Brace is playing on this series. I say playing - he looks very bad out there.

* Franklin did get beat for the strip sack fumble, but Manning held the ball too long. There wasn't anything open downfield so he either has to take off or just protect the ball.


I think he has been our worst Lineman all year, and I actually include Manny Ramirez in that. Sure, there are mental errors that are made that you can excuse from a young player (especially during blitz protection). But his technique isn't good enough to be a starting RT in my opinion. The one thing he doesn't do that is so important for an OT is anchor; he is a dreaded 'waist bender'. Rather than get his butt low to generate the power from his butt/legs, he gets lazy/sloppy with his technique and bends his weight to engage his opponent.

When he gets it right, he obviously has all the physical tools to be a fantastic player. My favourite plays of his are when he and our RG (Ramirez in the games I have watched) double team their man on the LOS and then Franklin peels to the 2nd level and gets after the LB. Orlando has the demeanour to play the position, along with the physical traits. But in my opinion he isn't good enough right now, and Manning has been bailing him out a lot more than people realise.
_________________


MUFC OK
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AKRNA


Joined: 28 May 2008
Posts: 5206
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerseysFinest27 wrote:
Denver4Life03 wrote:
bobdevine wrote:
This list puts Clady as second best OT.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/10/17/snapshot-pbe-offensive-tackles/

Quote:
# Name Team Pass Block Snaps Total Pressure Allowed PBE
1 Winston Justice IND 173 2 99.1
2 Ryan Clady DEN 240 5 98.4
3 Joe Thomas CLV 245 7 97.8
4 Duane Brown HST 197 6 97.7
5 Marshall Newhouse GB 263 8 97.3
5 Branden Albert KC 233 8 97.3
5 Jake Long MIA 213 7 97.3


Also puts Franklin as the 12th best.

Franklin has been playing very good football the last couple weeks. Ive watched him on the ALL22 dominate quite a lot of plays.


Since this is being brought up, I want to just say Im very glad we drafted Franklin. Most of the time last year and over the offseason, we (and most of the time me) were discussing moving him inside and acquiring another RT. However, he has certainly improved his football abilities at RT or has just gotten more comfortable playing after his rookie year. Since Kuper went down I feel like Franklin has held his own playing next to a terrible player (Ramirez) proving his worth to me. Peyton Manning has been very solid for the very reason his OT's have played quite well this year.


I only got to watch the 1st 4 games jerseybut to me it seemed like he was still playing in mud in pass pro. He did seem a little quicker off the ball, especially in the run game. I did see a couple of items today regarding Kupers return:

Quote:
Kuper's return helped right tackle Orlando Franklin, who relies heavily on Kuper's guidance during games.


and;
Quote:
Kuper is the team's best all-around lineman, best communicator and all-around leader.


I think Franklin really does benefit greatly from Kupers presence.

Personally, I wish they'd hand Franklin a jump rope and have him spend 1/2 hour a day with it. Toss in 200 or so toe-extensions and he'd be a genuine "tinkerbell" on his feet. Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JerseysFinest27


Joined: 07 Jan 2010
Posts: 8364
Location: New Jersey... Props to inDENguise on the sig
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lomaxgr wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:
Franklin has been playing very good football the last couple weeks. Ive watched him on the ALL22 dominate quite a lot of plays.


Since this is being brought up, I want to just say Im very glad we drafted Franklin. Most of the time last year and over the offseason, we (and most of the time me) were discussing moving him inside and acquiring another RT. However, he has certainly improved his football abilities at RT or has just gotten more comfortable playing after his rookie year. Since Kuper went down I feel like Franklin has held his own playing next to a terrible player (Ramirez) proving his worth to me. Peyton Manning has been very solid for the very reason his OT's have played quite well this year.


I have to beg to differ here. Franklin was literally awful against the Patriots. Here are some of my notes re: Franklin from all 22 game film :-

Quote:
1st drive and Orlando Franklin gives us a QB hit on a simple disguised blitz. Jermaine Cunningham is stood up outside of Franklin, with Jerod Mayo in his usual Nickel LB positioning. Cunningham makes out like he is running a wide arc when really he is in man coverage on the RB, whilst Mayo attacks the B gap. Franklin goes to engage Cunningham and Mayo is allowed a free roam into the backfield. Manning throws it away, but it is awful recognition from Franklin.

Annnd Franklin is beat again for the 3rd down sack of Manning. Patriots are bringing 6, but we have Lance Ball into block so we need to be 'hat on a hat'. Everyone other than Franklin is correct in their protection assignment. After letting Mayo breeze up the B gap on the last drive, Franklin goes to block the inside man who is already being blocked by Ramirez. Ninkovich (sp) is therefore allowed to run the arc on Franklin and get to Peyton.

* There goes Franklin getting pancaked on a quick throw ... Trevor Scott this time. Ron Brace is playing on this series. I say playing - he looks very bad out there.

* Franklin did get beat for the strip sack fumble, but Manning held the ball too long. There wasn't anything open downfield so he either has to take off or just protect the ball.


I think he has been our worst Lineman all year, and I actually include Manny Ramirez in that. Sure, there are mental errors that are made that you can excuse from a young player (especially during blitz protection). But his technique isn't good enough to be a starting RT in my opinion. The one thing he doesn't do that is so important for an OT is anchor; he is a dreaded 'waist bender'. Rather than get his butt low to generate the power from his butt/legs, he gets lazy/sloppy with his technique and bends his weight to engage his opponent.

When he gets it right, he obviously has all the physical tools to be a fantastic player. My favourite plays of his are when he and our RG (Ramirez in the games I have watched) double team their man on the LOS and then Franklin peels to the 2nd level and gets after the LB. Orlando has the demeanour to play the position, along with the physical traits. But in my opinion he isn't good enough right now, and Manning has been bailing him out a lot more than people realise.

While I dont agree that hes been the worst OL, Ill have to go back and watch the NWE tape. Ive been very busy with tape study for my team and havent gotten around to the last 2 games. From what I remember though, I do remember seeing Franklin having more positive plays then negative ones. Maybe thats what Im trying to get at.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group