Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Saints Defense: News Good/Bad *UPDATED Mock offseason*

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:18 am    Post subject: Saints Defense: News Good/Bad *UPDATED Mock offseason* Reply with quote

It’s obvious that the Saints defense needs all the help it can get and with that being the case the Saints picked the right NFL draft to be in the market for a defensive playmaker.

The News is simple…

The Good
Help is on the way…

The Bad
Not this season!

Regardless whether the Saints make a change at defensive coordinator or not, or if they switch defensive schemes once again. There should be no reason why this franchise shouldn’t be able to walk away from this upcoming NFL draft with a much needed defensive playmaker.

The Saints are currently on a crash course with a top 10 pick come April. I tend to believe that this team will likely rattle off just enough wins before this season is over to fall just outside that area of selections. Either way there will be no excuse for failure in this year’s 1st round. Below are my to 20 defensive prospects that will be available in the 2013 NFL draft… The Saints MUST land one of them!

1. Jarvis Jones LB Georgia

Jones is simply the best pass rusher in this year’s class! He’s a monster off the edge and possesses physical ability similar to that of Von Miller. Forget the position he plays, Jones is flat out this drafts best prospect!

2. Bjoern Werner DE Florida State

Some may not have Werner as high as I do but I feel he’s the best pure defensive end in the draft. Werner combines bullish power with tremendous burst and an array of pass rush moves to consistently pressure the opposing quarterback. In an age where we mostly see defensive end tweeners coming out of the college ranks, Werner is your rare exception.

3. Jonathan Hankins DT Ohio State

When you’re a man as large as Hankins is, you shouldn’t be able to move like he does! Hankins 5 years from now could be looked at as the best player to come out of this draft. He’s extremely disruptive inside and uses his brute strength and quick first step to dominate offensive lineman.

4. Barkevious Mingo DE/OLB Louisiana State

While I understand Mingo has underperformed this season, his physical gifts cannot be ignored. Jason Pierre Paul didn’t have great production coming out of South Florida but when you’re dealing with the task of projecting defensive lineman there are just some players that posses the skills to do what most can’t and like JPP, Mingo has those skills.

5. Star Lotulelei DT Utah

Star Lotulelei is a BIG BAD MAN, plain and simple! While I don’t see the pass rushing potential of Jonathan Hankins in Lotulelei, I do see a player that opposing offenses will have to account for on every play. He is the type of force that can shut down your running game and make average edge rusher look great.

6. Dee Milliner CB Alabama

When you’re the best defensive player at your position in the draft you’re going to rank high on my list and when that position is cornerback, you’re going to rank really high. Milliner possesses great size, speed and instincts for the corner position. He’s been extremely well coached by Nick Saban at Alabama and is destined to be an ace cover corner for an NFL secondary.

7. Sam Montgomery DE Louisiana State

I’m on record as off saying I don’t feel Montgomery doesn’t possess an elite first step but that doesn’t mean I don’t feel he isn’t an elite player. While Montgomery’s upside isn’t as vast as teammate Barkevious Mingo’s, he’s still a big time NFL prospect in his own right. Montgomery has tremendous physical tools and a relentless motor that is sure to propel him into a long successful NFL career.

8. Manti Te’o MLB Notre Dame

I normally NEVER rank what I perceive to be pure middle linebackers this high but Te’o is an exception to the rule. Te’o possesses uncanny instincts, leadership & physical ability to the position. He’s a force against both the pass and run and is truly a player you could build a defense around.

9. Jonathan Jenkins NT Georgia

At 6’3” and 360lbs, Jenkins is a massive man on the middle of Georgia’s 34 defense but he’s also surprising athletic for such a huge guy. Jenkins is scheme versatile but is a nose tackle nonetheless in either the 34 or 43. He’s a big time space eater with enough athletic ability to push the pocket in passing situations. He’s been somewhat inconsistent this season but when Jenkins is playing at his best, there might not be a better defensive tackle in the country better.

10. Tank Carradine DE Florida State

Did I shock you with this one? Carradine is the first of a few prospects on this list that may not be household names right now but will be after pre draft workouts and the NFL combine. Carradine, outside of teammate Bjoern Werner is likely this drafts best pure 43 defensive end and like Werner he possesses a lot of what appeals to these teams. Carradine is a big, strong player with elite speed and quickness off the edge. He possesses an NFL body right now and his game strongly resembles that of Giants all-pro Justin Tuck. While he’s been overshadowed at FSU by Werner, Carradine will soon make his presence felt amongst the NFL elite on draft day. Expect Carradine to soar up draft boards in pre draft workouts and end up a top 25 pick.

11. Sheldon Richardson DT Missouri

Ok, forget about size, strength, etc. for just a moment… This guy is a flat out NIGHTMARE on the interior of Missouri’s defensive front. I can honestly make a case for Richardson as the most disruptive defensive player in all of college football, he’s that good! In my view, Richardson will be a player that suffers from such great depth in this year’s class on defense because in a typical year he would likely go in the top 10… he still might.

12. Demontre Moore DE/OLB Texas A&M

When I look at Demontre Moore, I see Martez Wilson as a more advanced pass rusher. He’s the classic tweener prospect. He’s got very good physical skills and the production to back it up. I see him as a better fit in a 34 as an edge rusher and while I still see him as a top 20 prospect, I’m not buying the top 10 talk for him.

13. Ziggy Ansah DE BYU

While Tank Carradine reminds me of Justin Tuck, BYU’s Ziggy Ansah has been giving me his best impersonation of Jason Pierre Paul this season. Ansah has tremendous physical gifts nut he’s raw. Like JPP, Ansah possesses an NFL body for the defensive end position and has unusual strength for a player so long. If Ansah receives the right coaching on the next level he could develop into the NFL’s sack leader one day, he’s got that type of potential.

14. Louis Nix DT Notre Dame

The next Vince Wilfork! While Manti Te’o gets most of the pub for Notre Dame’s defensive performances, it’s Nix that does the dirty work. The big man in the middle has been an absolute animal on the interior for the Notre Dame defense and possesses all the physical attributes the NFL looks for in a nose tackle. While not as athletic as the other interior defensive lineman on this list, Nix makes up for it with size and brute strength. He is truly an immoveable object.

15. Eric Reid FS Louisiana State

Eric Reid to me is by far and away this drafts top safety prospect. He possesses great size and speed for the position, he covers a lot of ground and is a very smart and instinctive football player. Reid is a quarterback on the field on defense and will be a hot commodity come draft time.

16. Dion Jordan DE Oregon

While I’m not as high on Jordan as some are, I do acknowledge his unbelievable physical gifts. Jordan has the potential to develop into a dominate pass rusher on the next level but it will take time and good coaching. If Jordan’s future employer is patient with him he could pay off big time in the future.

17. CJ Mosley OLB Alabama

In a draft where there’s talk that a player like CJ Mosley could possibly fall out of the 1st round you know that the defensive depth in that draft is ridiculous! Mosley has been a beast for the top ranked Tide and although he plays inside on Nick Sabans defense, this is an extremely fast and physical linebacker that could excel in any scheme and at any line backing position on the next level.

18. Alex Okfor DE Texas

Okfor is the type of prospect that you tend to really like but don’t love on paper… until you watch him play. Overall, Okfor might be the most polished defensive lineman in this draft and while he might not have the upside like others at his position, he is a plug-n-play day one starter at right defensive end and likely a fixture on your defensive front.

19. Jonathan Banks CB Mississippi State

While I don’t see Banks as a game changer… he is a difference maker. Banks just has a way of always finding the football. He possesses very good ball skills for such a long corner and while he may not fit all NFL schemes, if he falls into the right situation he could be special.

20. Kawann Short DT Purdue

Short continues to get no love, while continuing to be one of the most disruptive defensive college football player in the country. You’d be hard pressed to find a better interior pass rusher than Short and he’s a stout run defender to boot. The overall defensive depth of this class will push Short down the board but make no mistake, this guy is a defensive stud!

Honorable Mention: Matt Elam SS Florida

I’ve been on the Matt Elam bandwagon for some time now. I know he’s a tad short at 5’10” but the guy is built like a tank with great physical abilities and ball skills. He’s an enforcer on the back end of Florida’s defensive unit and I am convinced he’ll find his way into the 1st round on draft day.

As you can see, this draft will be nothing short of LOADED when it comes to defensive help for the Saints. So, Spags or no Spags… Top 10 or no top 10… trade up or trade down… it shouldn’t matter!

So rest easy Saints fans, help is on the way… Just not this season.

WHODAT

Updated Mock Offseason

Updated: 2013 New Orleans Saints Extensions, Releases & Restructures:

EXTENSIONS
Jermon Bushrod, Devery Henderson & Jimmy Graham

RELEASES
Will Smith, Sedrick Ellis, Turk McBride, Will Herring & Jonathan Casillas

RESTRUCTURES
Jonathan Vilma, Scott Shanle, Roman Harper & Jahri Evans

Updated: 2013 New Orleans Saints Mock Free Agency:

Osi Umenyiora DE Giants

After signing a 1 year contract for 6 million the Giants refuse to commit a large contract to the 31 year old pass rusher this offseason. After hitting free agency Umenyiora heads straight to the Big Easy to reunite with former Giants DC Steve Spagnuolo to play in the defensive scheme that has made him the player that he has become and to play for a franchise that is a ledgit contender in the NFC in 2013.

Brent Grimes CB Falcons

Brent Grimes is a talented corner and has an ax to grind with the Falcons. What better way to do it than signing with the hated rival Saints. Mickey Loomis, Sean Payton & Grimes good buddy Curtis Lofton persuade the free agent corner to sign in New Orleans this offseason and pair with Jabari Greer to give the Saints defense a legit set of NFL starting corners.

Updated: 2013 New Orleans Saints Mock Draft:

SAINTS TRADE DOWN TO BOTTOM HALF OF ROUND 1, AQUIRE A 2nd & 4th ROUND PICK IN TRADE.

Round 1: Tank Carradine DE Florida State

With Osi Umenyiora onboard as the starting right defensive end the Saints focus on continuing to upgrade their pass rush by adding the one of the fastest rising prospects in this years class in FSU's Tank Carradine. Carradine gets his nickname Tank because that's how he's built but he's more than just a big body. Carradine possesses a physical skill set very similar to Giants DE Justin Tuck and like Tuck he's a very fast and extremly powerful pass rusher and stout run defender.

Round 2: Da'Rick Rodgers WR Tennessee Tech

The Saints offense severly misses Robert Meachem's deep
speed and playmaking ability. He possessed great size and down field blocking ability which also helped in the running game as well. Roders is a 1st round talent who slips because of off field troubles but like Meachem he's a big physical playmaker who could develop into Drew Brees's biggest playmaker on offesne...and that's saying something!

Round 3: Oday Aboushi OT Virginia

The Saints have ingnored the offensive tackle position for to long and look to develop depth and competition along the offensive front in this draft. Aboushi is a exellent pass protector and developing run blocker, he's a natural fit as a left tackle in Sean Paytons high flying passing attack and would give the Saints their left tackle of the future behind Bushrod.

Round 4: Shawn Williams SS Georgia

While Roman Harper has his faults in coverage, it’s safe to say that Spags has found a role for him on this defense. The problem is the depth at SS requires Harper to be on the field more than he needs to be. Williams is a more athletic version of Harper with better ball skills and would give Spagnuolo a quality rotational SS behind Harper to best utilize and spell the Saints defensive leader.

Round 4: Tyrann Mathieu CB Louisiana State

Why not? I know he's had his troubles but this is the Honey Badger were talking about here for a 4th round pick. Say it don't work out... do you really think it wasn't worth the risk? Some teams will have him completly off their boards but I don't feel the Saints on defense can afford to allow a players with Mathieu's ball skills to pass by. He's a New Orleans kid and is on record as saying he grew up a big Saints fan, take a chane and see if playing for the home team helps him realize the chance he has and it helps him get his act together. Lord knows our defense can use his ball hawking and playmaking ability!

Round 5: Braxston Cave OC Notre Dame

Brian de la Puente has been an adqute starter at the center position but the Saints need to find the future at this position. Braxston Cave reminds me alot of former Saints center Jeff Faine and would provide competition for Puente and eventually assume the starting spot as the Saints center of the future.

Round 6: Mike Williams TE Alabama

For the past few seasons the Saints have liked the idea of carrying a big physical blocking tight end on the roster to utilize in the running game. Daniel Graham was this year’s answer to the position. While Williams won’t give you much in the passing game, he’s like having an additional tackle in the game on running downs. At 6’5” 270lbs, Williams excels at this position in Alabama’s physical running scheme and would provide a quality young player at a position that’s kind of been a revolving door in New Orleans but one that the Saints obviously value.

Updated: 2013 New Orleans Saints Depth Chart:

OFFENSE
QB – Brees, Daniel
RB – Thomas, Sproles, Ingram, Ivory, Cadet
FB – Collins
WR – Colston, Henderson, Moore, Rodgers, Toon, Morgan
TE – Graham, Thomas, Williams
LT – Bushrod, Aboushi
LG – Grubbs
OC – Puente, Cave
RG – Evans, Tiller
RT – Strief, Brown, Jones

DEFENSE
LE – Jordan, Carradine
NT – Bunkley, Walker
DT – Hicks, Johnson
RE – Umenyiora, Galette, Wilson
SB – Hawthorne, Shanle
MB – Lofton, Humber
WB – Vilma, Chamberlin
CB – Greer, White, Mathieu
SS – Harper, Williams
FS – Jenkins, Quddus
CB – Grimes, Robinson, Patrick

SPECIALTY
PK – Hartley
P – Moorstead
DS – Houser

WHODAT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o

Last edited by whodatworm23 on Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:39 am; edited 20 times in total
Raves

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the most part I like the list, a few things I would change, most notably Jones not being anywhere near my top 10 due to the fact we aren't running a 3-4 and would be better of trading the pick than drafting him in that instance, but pretty good.

My top 5:
1a. Jonathan Hankins, DT Ohio State
This literally has nothing to do with Ohio State homerism and all to do with the fact that I believe pressure from the middle is more disruptive, harder to find, and more valuable than an outside speed rush that a QB can step up then around. Hankins is also very good in run support, though sometimes he finds himself in the backfield so fast that he runs past run/draw plays, so you get the best of both worlds in the area QBs prefer pressure not to come from.

1b. Bjoern Werner, DE Florida State
The fact that this guy is this good and he's still learning how to play is just ridiculous. Great size, speed, first step, strength, everything you look for from a franchise DE. IMO it's basically asking which would you prefer, Ndamukong Suh or Mario Williams in regards to my top 2 players, me personally I would prefer Suh as he opens up the rest of the DL more, but you really can't go wrong with either.

3. Star Lotulelei, DT Utah
Not quite the pass rusher that the above two are, but he stuffs the run and can collapse a pocket very well, combine that with Akiem Hicks who just destroys a pocket and you'll have a great inside duo. Some might want an outside pass rusher here but as I've said before, I value inside pass rush, especially when combined with the ability to stop the run, much higher than an outside pass rusher due to the ability to stop it being easier, not to mention easier to find players to come off the edge.

4. Manti Te'o, MLB Notre Dame
Not exactly a position of need but the dude is such a baller it's not funny. Whether it's his instincts to make a play in the passing game by grabbing tipped passes, or tipping htem himself, coming up and laying the hammer on a runner with bone breaking violence, his innate ability to sense when to rush the passer on delayed blitzes or break route and drop back into coverage, or his fiery leadership of one of the top defenses in the nation, his ability is unrivaled. Yes we have Curtis Lofton who has played well at MLB for us, but he's got the ability to slide out to SLB and passing on Te'o, who I feel is a Ray Lewis-esque type player in how he commands the field and brings the rest of the team to a new level, would just be a mistake. Hawthorne/Te'o/Lofton would be a pretty great linebacker corp for years to come.

5. Barkevious Mingo DE/OLB LSU
Elite first step, needs to gain weight and strength, can be streaky and inconsistent, questionable motor, but when he's on there are few that can stop him. I have less questions about his ability to transition to a full time DE spot than Jones which is why he's got the nod here, but truthfully at this pick there are so many directions you could go I'd almost be more inclined to trade back and pick up an extra 2nd and look to draft one of the other defensive player available.

2013 Adopt-A-Saint
TE Jimmy Graham-86 rec, 1215 yds, 16 TDs
WR Kenny Still-34 rec, 641 yds, 5 TDs
navysaintsfan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just once....just one damn time...I want to see the Saints select a Top 10 DE or LB that is a true difference maker. It kills me seeing Pat Willis, Ray Lewis, Jason Allen, JJ Watt, Clay Matthews, and knowing we NEVER pick players like this.

You know what? I want a Jason Pierre-Paul. I demand one. DEMAND IT!!!

Kenny Vaccaro; coming soon to a town near you to screw up your QB's day. ATL first on the knock-off list. #RISEUPFORWHAT
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

navysaintsfan wrote:
Just once....just one damn time...I want to see the Saints select a Top 10 DE or LB that is a true difference maker. It kills me seeing Pat Willis, Ray Lewis, Jason Allen, JJ Watt, Clay Matthews, and knowing we NEVER pick players like this.

You know what? I want a Jason Pierre-Paul. I demand one. DEMAND IT!!!

I'm in that boat with ya NavyMan!!! Laughing
Call me crazy but I just got a good feeling about this offseason... I honestly feel the Saints will find a way to land one of this drafts elite front seven defenders. I'm really not that concerned with our win/loss record because I just see this team walking away from the 2013 Draft with either Mingo, Jones, Hankins, Lotulelei, Werner or Montgomery!

I believe it will happen!

tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really have no faith in our scouts. Marques Colston and Jimmy Graham were created by Drew Brees and Sean Payton.

If we don't finally land a 1st rounder who pans out, we need to make drastic changes with this front office.

FWIW Hicks, Nick Toon, and Martez all look like they could eventually turn into something.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tylerdouglass wrote:
I really have no faith in our scouts. Marques Colston and Jimmy Graham were created by Drew Brees and Sean Payton.

If we don't finally land a 1st rounder who pans out, we need to make drastic changes with this front office.

FWIW Hicks, Nick Toon, and Martez all look like they could eventually turn into something.

Marques Colston and Jimmy Graham were products of themselves, they would be successful anywhere. Don't even start with that crap.

2013 Adopt-A-Saint
TE Jimmy Graham-86 rec, 1215 yds, 16 TDs
WR Kenny Still-34 rec, 641 yds, 5 TDs
tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raves wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:

Marques Colston and Jimmy Graham were products of themselves, they would be successful anywhere. Don't even start with that crap.

I don't buy it. Colston can't really create on his own, he benefits from Brees' elite precision. Don't get me wrong, it's not like we could go out and just pick up a replacement. His hands and size are incredible. His lack of speed and quickness is what hurts him, and he'd be an average WR on most other teams.

Graham still drops a lot of passes. He can't block yet, and isn't as aggressive as you'd hope for a guy his size. Luckily he has great speed and agility for a guy his size, and can really use his positioning to his advantage. Just listen to him talk about Brees and you'll see how much of his development is attributed to number 9.

I'm not saying these guys would be bums if traded to another team, just that their development had more to do with our coaches than the players themselves. There's a reason they were taken in the 3rd and 7th rounds, you know.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a point with Colston, not with Graham. The only reason Graham was a 3rd round pick was because he played 1 year of college ball. Had he played football his entire college career he easily would've gone in the first round. Him and Vernon Davis are 1a and 1b for most athletic TEs in the league.

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Thought someone broke into my house.
Jumped out of bed (left my brother)
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tylerdouglass wrote:
Raves wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:

I don't buy it. Colston can't really create on his own, he benefits from Brees' elite precision. Don't get me wrong, it's not like we could go out and just pick up a replacement. His hands and size are incredible. His lack of speed and quickness is what hurts him, and he'd be an average WR on most other teams.

Graham still drops a lot of passes. He can't block yet, and isn't as aggressive as you'd hope for a guy his size. Luckily he has great speed and agility for a guy his size, and can really use his positioning to his advantage. Just listen to him talk about Brees and you'll see how much of his development is attributed to number 9.

I'm not saying these guys would be bums if traded to another team, just that their development had more to do with our coaches than the players themselves. There's a reason they were taken in the 3rd and 7th rounds, you know.

I think the proof is in the pudding... Sean Payton is what makes these good players great!

That includes Mr. Brees! Payton has a way of utlizing his players talents to the best of their abilities and this season is a prime example of that. Don't get me wrong, we have very good players on offense but it's Sean Payton's creative mind and ability to create mismatches is what sets this scheme and these players apart!

Sean Payton, not anyone else is the heart and soul of this franchise!!!

wow_junky

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lotulelei, Milliner then Te'o are the 3 I'd want in R1. From what I've seen they can contribute from day 1 at a high level and are low risk (I.e. won't bust ala Ellis and Smith!). I'm just not convinced on a lot of the DEs in the draft and we need to minimise the draft lottery as much as possible
Porter22

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow_junky wrote:
Lotulelei, Milliner then Te'o are the 3 I'd want in R1. From what I've seen they can contribute from day 1 at a high level and are low risk (I.e. won't bust ala Ellis and Smith!). I'm just not convinced on a lot of the DEs in the draft and we need to minimise the draft lottery as much as possible
Add Werner to that list and I would agree. We don't need a LB but Te'o is a game changer and will be an All Pro LB for years. He could be our Willis who will lead this defense for the next 10 years!
Saint-Anger_13

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Round 1. Damontre Moore, DE (shredds tackles and nice size at 6'4 250 maybe add some weight)

Round 2. Kiko Alonso MLB Oregon( all around well adjusted Linebacker)

Round 3. Mike Farrell OT Penn State (good hands and push, needs weight +)

Round 4. Jacob Knott LB Iowa State (dude has played through injuries, out for the year with a shoulder injury, but a beast)

Thats all I have on Defense But top picks should be DE and LB
Canadian Saint

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright since you asked so nicely, I'll do a mock offseason:

Let go/cut:

- Sedrick Ellis: $7.34M cap savings.
- Jermon Bushrod: $6.75M cap savings.
- Will Smith: $5.4M cap savings.
- Scott Shanle: $2.25M cap savings.
- Will Herring: $1.733M cap savings.

Restructure:

- Roman Harper: $6.35M ---> $4M cap hit(net 2.35M cap savings). Not a random number, Greer makes 4.5M, no way Harper should get more than him.

Total Cap savings: 25.8M total cap space saved.

Draft:

1.) OT Luke Joeckel, Texas A&M: Yup I went there. Forgot the need on D to improve the offense. Lets be serious for a moment here, we're an offense first team and we need to protect our 100M dollar investment. No better way to do that than giving him a potential franchise LT. The Ingram PF on Brees still is in my mind where Brees could've gotten hurt. Without Brees we're 0-6 easily. This will also help the run game. Joeckel had good games against both LSU and Auburn and their talented pass rushers. Profootballweekly had an anonymous NFL GM say he's a better LT prospect than Matt Kalil and Joe Thomas. Caphit: 2.56M/yr over 4 years.

2.) (assuming our clown commish does the right thing and gives it back):
DE Dion Jordan, Oregon: This guy is a freak. Athletically he's something special. 6'7 260 lbs, and he has regularly covered CBs and TEs. He's a couple of years away and needs time to develop, but he's got some nice potential.

3.) S Matt Elam, Gators: Talented S who plays with attitude and has the ability to play both positions. With Jenkins showing the safety instincts and tackling ability of Scott Shanle (get it? Get it?), we need a back up plan. Elam has both SS and FS potential, and if he performs well, could take over for either Jenkins or Harper. Win-Win.

4.) DR Kwame Geathers, Georgia: Big guy who can do a little of everything. Can play both NT and DT. Depth for our DT position..

5.) TE Michael Williams, Alabama: We need some extra bodies for the TE, and this guy would do it. 6'6 270 lbs and a good blocker. Has potential to be a pass catcher as well, but for now can help our run game through his blocking.

6.) MLB Tom Wort, Oklahoma: Decent player who hasn't been consistent enough. Developing behind Lofton should help. Add youth to our LB corps.

7.) CB Eric Gordon, Tennessee: Potential slot CB, but just add another punt/kick returner on the team for next year.

Free Agency:

DE Cliff Avril: 4 year, 32M dollar contract.$8M/yr. Hasn't played up to last years franchise tag value. We need a pass rusher and Avril is one on the market that combines youth and actually good pass rushing ability. He's not that good against the run, but with Jordan on the other side, I think we could be alright against the run while much improved against the pass. I don't think Johnson will be let go and Freeney is a little too old for me.

OLB Daryl Smith: 3 years, 20M dollar contract. A good OLB who can wrap up in tackles(OMG!!!) and also drop into coverage. Vilma has lost a lot and would be better served in a nickle role. Smith is a little older but he can get it done. 6.66M/yr.

QB: Drew Brees, Chase Daniel
RB: Sproles, Ivory, Ingram, PT
FB: Collins
TE: Graham, Williams, Thomas
WR: Colston, Henderson, Toon, Moore, Morgan, Roby
OT: Joeckel, Brown
OG: Evans, Olsen
C: DLP
OG: Grubbs
OT: Streif, Jones

DE: Avril, Galette
NT: Bunkley, Geathers
DT: Hicks, Johnson
DE: Jordan, Jordan, Wilson

OLB: Smith, Vilma
MLB: Lofton, Wort
OLB: Hawthorne, Wilson

CB: Greer, Patrick
CB: Robinson, White, Gordon

FS: Jenkins, Quddus
SS: Harper, Elam, Bush
K: Hartley
P: Morstead

NFL: New Orleans Saints
NHL: Edmonton Oilers
MLB: Minnesota Twins/ Toronto Blue Jays
NBA: Phoenix Suns/Toronto Raptors

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: