Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Malcolm Jenkins

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saintsfan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:19 am    Post subject: Malcolm Jenkins Reply with quote

I thought since we are having so much debate about him in the other threads, we could give him his own thread to talk about him after each game and such. As we can all agree, he has underperformed this year to date. However most of us disagree on whether Jenkins is done, or whether he can turn it around for our team. Here's a great article Triplett did on Jenkins.
http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2012/10/new_orleans_saints_need_malcol.html
Quote:
The fourth-year pro hasn't necessarily been the defense's weakest link. Like everyone else, he's had a few good plays and a few bad ones this year. But the Saints don't just need Jenkins to be adequate - they need him to be great.
They need the former first-round draft pick to finally start delivering on the immense potential he flashed during his first two NFL seasons.

Maybe it's unfair to single out Jenkins. But it's his own fault, really. He raised the bar for himself in 2010, when he was twice named the NFC Defensive Player of the Week down the stretch of his sophomore year, after he made a smooth transition from cornerback to safety.

Triplett makes some great points in the article. One, the potential that everyone saw his sophomore year when he won defensive player of the week twice and Alex Brown named him as one of the 3 most talented players he's every played with (the other two are Urlacher and Kearse) is still there. However, as Triplett mentions, he's been a step late to a few big plays so far this season because he's been hesitating. Two, he's clearly doing some things right, because Gregg Williams used to rave about him, and now Spags is raving about him.

So lets use this thread to keep track of his season and discuss his performances after each game. Is he really the worst player on our starting D?

2012 Season Stats:
37 tackles (27 solo)
2 passes defensed
1 fumble recovery

www.beattproductions.com

Adopt-A-Saint 2014
WR Kenny Stills 31 cat 431 yds 2 TDs
S Rafael Bush 55 tak 0 INT 3 PD IR
Harper41

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far this season, yes. Of course he ha potential but he certainly hasn't shown any this year. It could be that he's just been slower to adapt to this new defensive scheme though.

RTR
GFalcon wrote:
go saints
SaintsBeast

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
So far this season, yes. Of course he ha potential but he certainly hasn't shown any this year. It could be that he's just been slower to adapt to this new defensive scheme though.

He thinks too much.

I keep reading people on this forum saying that he "lacks instincts". No, he does NOT lack insticts. But he is thinking way too much. Instead of going after the ball, like he feels he should, he thinks about the play, and the fact that it's someone else's zone to be in or man to cover. But that split second hesitation is why we're having such a big debate here over him.

2012 Adopt-A-Saint:
Martez Wilson, DE: 1 Sack, 6 Tackles, 1 FF, 1 Punt Block
Will Smith, DE: 2 Sacks, 22 Tackles, 0 FF
Harper41

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaintsBeast wrote:
Harper41 wrote:

He thinks too much.

I keep reading people on this forum saying that he "lacks instincts". No, he does NOT lack insticts. But he is thinking way too much. Instead of going after the ball, like he feels he should, he thinks about the play, and the fact that it's someone else's zone to be in or man to cover. But that split second hesitation is why we're having such a big debate here over him.

Its a possibility. Theirs no doubt he's regressed since his sophomore year though, I'd love an explanation on why but we all have our own opinions.

RTR
GFalcon wrote:
go saints
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
SaintsBeast wrote:
Harper41 wrote:

He thinks too much.

Its a possibility. Theirs no doubt he's regressed since his sophomore year though, I'd love an explanation on why but we all have our own opinions.

Beating a dead horse in my opinion... Really dosent matter what any of us think of Jenkins, the coaching staff believes in him. Spags has been quoted numerous times saying that Jenkins is the quarterback of his defense.

Jenkins is here for the long haul... much like a few other members of this defense that some of us may or may not want to see go or stay.

The only players on this defense I feel are locks to be let go in the offseason are... Vilma, Smith, Ellis, Shanle and Hearing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
Harper41

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
SaintsBeast wrote:
Harper41 wrote:

He thinks too much.

Beating a dead horse in my opinion... Really dosent matter what any of us think of Jenkins, the coaching staff believes in him. Spags has been quoted numerous times saying that Jenkins is the quarterback of his defense.

Jenkins is here for the long haul... much like a few other members of this defense that some of us may or may not want to see go or stay.

The only players on this defense I feel are locks to be let go in the offseason are... Vilma, Smith, Ellis, Shanle and Hearing.

I don't think Vilmas a lock to go. He's still the unquestioned leader of this defense, I could see him taking a pay cut to stick around for 2-3 more years.

RTR
GFalcon wrote:
go saints
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
whodatworm23 wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
SaintsBeast wrote:
Harper41 wrote:

He thinks too much.

I don't think Vilmas a lock to go. He's still the unquestioned leader of this defense, I could see him taking a pay cut to stick around for 2-3 more years.

That is exactly the problem... LOFTON is our new leader and he's a good one but he dosent need the defensive unit divided. Vilma hasen't been very good over the last few years anyway, he's battled knee injuries and has clearly lost a step or two. This team does not need Vilma to accept a pay cut, they need him removed from the team.

between the constant Bounty bullsh*t and the battle within our own defensive locker room he's not worth keeping around. Let him go, turn to Lofton as our leader, use the money to persue younger, healthier, more athletic players.

Harper41

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see your point, I guess we'll see what happens in the off-season. I'd love to see us use the cash we'd save from Vilma and Smith to go after Michael Johnson and Darryl Smith. Theirs also plenty of safeties available this year, it should be an exciting off-season.

RTR
GFalcon wrote:
go saints
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
I see your point, I guess we'll see what happens in the off-season. I'd love to see us use the cash we'd save from Vilma and Smith to go after Michael Johnson and Darryl Smith. Theirs also plenty of safeties available this year, it should be an exciting off-season.

Now your talking...

Hey, I see you got a Florida logo in your sig. I tell you what scoop, im to the point where I wouldent mind seeing the Saints trade down in round 1 get more picks and take Matt Elam.

Did you see that guy ball aganist LSU!!!

That guy gonna be a better verison of Ryan Clark in the NFL... ture playmaking safety, very underrated!

Harper41

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:
Harper41 wrote:

Now your talking...

Hey, I see you got a Florida logo in your sig. I tell you what scoop, im to the point where I wouldent mind seeing the Saints trade down in round 1 get more picks and take Matt Elam.

That guy gonna be a better verison of Ryan Clark in the NFL... ture playmaking safety, very underrated!

Now theirs something we can see eye to eye on Wink Matt Elam is going to be a stud at the next level, his forced fumble was a thing of beauty in that game. If we can add a DE in the offseason I think a play making safety, whether it be SS or FS, is the next biggest concern on our list. I know our OTs are terrible but Brees can make them look better, nothing is going to make our defense look better except TALENT.

RTR
GFalcon wrote:
go saints
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
whodatworm23 wrote:
Harper41 wrote:

Now your talking...

Now theirs something we can see eye to eye on Wink Matt Elam is going to be a stud at the next level, his forced fumble was a thing of beauty in that game. If we can add a DE in the offseason I think a play making safety, whether it be SS or FS, is the next biggest concern on our list. I know our OTs are terrible but Brees can make them look better, nothing is going to make our defense look better except TALENT.

Elam gonna make some team very happy next season... would love to see dat dude laying wood in the black and gold!

dude was straight BEAST MODE aganist LSU

Harper41

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we could definitely snag Matt Elam in the middle of the 2nd round which would be perfect, he's one of those "hybrid" safeties that teams have been coveting. He's got the athletic ability and instincts to drop back into coverage and make plays on the ball while also possessing the ability to step up in the box and lay the wood, as shown here

Laughing Laughing Laughing

RTR
GFalcon wrote:
go saints
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think we could definitely snag Matt Elam in the middle of the 2nd round

Not so sure Harp... Dude is quietly making his way up draft boards and if he keeps this level of play up he'll continue to rise. Also from everything I read and hear, he's one of those guys that will test off the charts at the combine so in my opinion Elam when its all said and done will likley be taken somewhere between picks 22-32.

Harper41

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:
Quote:

Not so sure Harp... Dude is quietly making his way up draft boards and if he keeps this level of play up he'll continue to rise. Also from everything I read and hear, he's one of those guys that will test off the charts at the combine so in my opinion Elam when its all said and done will likley be taken somewhere between picks 22-32.

I think he's going to drop because he's a SS but he's only 5'10 and barely 200 pounds, at least I hope he does Laughing

RTR
GFalcon wrote:
go saints
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
whodatworm23 wrote:
Quote:

I think he's going to drop because he's a SS but he's only 5'10 and barely 200 pounds, at least I hope he does Laughing

I see alot of Bob Sanders in that guy... if he drops, teams will regret it!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: