Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Spread Offense anyone???
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swinton85

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Spread Offense anyone??? Reply with quote

We are all aware that the NFL is a totally different animal than the NCAA, but one could only think; with the last two draft picks we went with star collegiate players out of the spread offense system.

Blaine Gabbert: Stats
933 Att. 563 Com. 61% Com %
9,822 Yds. 40 TDs. 18 Ints.

Justin Blackmon: Stats
252 Rec. 3,564 Yds. 40 TDs.
Awards: (2x) Biletnikoff Award and All-American

With guys like Marcedes Lewis, Cecil Shorts, and Kevin Ellliot to stretch the field, and using Mojo in the more versatile role; it seems more intelligent to utilize these weapons.

The point to be made is; with the future of the team coming up from this style of play...why don't we at least give it a try. The team couldn't possibly do any worse than now. Adjust to the players, not players adjust to the team.

Any thoughts...

"Props to Joe_is_the_best for the sig"
iPwn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The spread offense doesn't work in the NFL. NFL defenses are far faster than college ones are, which means that the seams that the spread relies on exploiting just close in a hurry. We also lack the o-line that could hold up to allow us to spread the field and push the ball. And it tips the defense to run vs pass on nearly every play. Unless you have Tom Brady throwing to Randy Moss and Wes Welker, the spread will not be effective as anything more than a hiccup in the offense, and we already use it in that capacity.

The road to success is always under construction - Gus Bradley
#JagsOnly
sadjag

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
The spread offense doesn't work in the NFL. NFL defenses are far faster than college ones are, which means that the seams that the spread relies on exploiting just close in a hurry. We also lack the o-line that could hold up to allow us to spread the field and push the ball. And it tips the defense to run vs pass on nearly every play. Unless you have Tom Brady throwing to Randy Moss and Wes Welker, the spread will not be effective as anything more than a hiccup in the offense, and we already use it in that capacity.
But but... TEBOW!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should open up the offense more, but if we could run a version of the spread then we would. In general though, like iPwn said, it's just not much of a feasible idea - especially for the Jags.

Winner of Football's Future Big Brother II
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sadjag wrote:
iPwn wrote:
But but... TEBOW!

But that is a spread option you are talking about

Victor Cruz Pun wrote:
BornToFly wrote:
Yes, I went to high school with Tony Romo

Did he do good on the homework and quizzes but choke on the tests?
Mr. V

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
sadjag wrote:
iPwn wrote:
But but... TEBOW!

But that is a spread option you are talking about

And Tebow can't make the reads wherever he is, Florida, Denver, or New York.

Thank you daboyle250 for the sig.
Jaguarfan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets trade for Graham Harrell and run the run-n-shoot, after all, he was was good in that offense in college.

Poz- 68 comb tackles, 1 sack 2 int
Henne- 103/173 1,222 yards 2 td 5 int 72.9 rating
#JDI
dswinton

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind running the spread if we land Geno, but I wouldn't mind Barkley either.
iPwn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dswinton wrote:
I wouldn't mind running the spread if we land Geno, but I wouldn't mind Barkley either.
If you want an idea of what would happen to this team if we went to the spread as a base offense, turn on the Patriots/Giants Superbowl from '07. That was probably the most perfect spread NFL offense you could ever dream of creating, and they got destroyed by a defense that could get at the passer. Brady spent more time in the dirt than he did standing up, and the few times he did have a little time to throw, he couldn't get into any sort of rhythm. When you're out of a shotgun, the time that the QB has to watch the ball go into his hands is vital time missed that would otherwise be being used to read the defense.

A team with "decent spread pieces," if you could even call what we would have that would get lit up like that every time you faced an upper 1/3 defense. Sure, you might be able to drop a lot of points on bad defenses, but I don't see why that's what you would want to strive for when a quality pro offense can do the same thing to bad defenses and would be able to put points on good defenses too.

Then when you went to run the ball, because there's no way you can run out of a spread effectively, you'll see teams stacking the box because they know your threat of passing is very low. And of course any time you're in a passing formation, you'll see the defense in nickel and dime formations that will mitigate the success your passing offense would have on an every down basis. The spread (read: shotgun) works effectively in spot situations because you're trying to do specific things with it, rather than trying to do everything out of it.

#JagsOnly
corry

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
dswinton wrote:
If you want an idea of what would happen to this team if we went to the spread as a base offense, turn on the Patriots/Giants Superbowl from '07. That was probably the most perfect spread NFL offense you could ever dream of creating, and they got destroyed by a defense that could get at the passer. Brady spent more time in the dirt than he did standing up, and the few times he did have a little time to throw, he couldn't get into any sort of rhythm. When you're out of a shotgun, the time that the QB has to watch the ball go into his hands is vital time missed that would otherwise be being used to read the defense.

A team with "decent spread pieces," if you could even call what we would have that would get lit up like that every time you faced an upper 1/3 defense. Sure, you might be able to drop a lot of points on bad defenses, but I don't see why that's what you would want to strive for when a quality pro offense can do the same thing to bad defenses and would be able to put points on good defenses too.

Then when you went to run the ball, because there's no way you can run out of a spread effectively, you'll see teams stacking the box because they know your threat of passing is very low. And of course any time you're in a passing formation, you'll see the defense in nickel and dime formations that will mitigate the success your passing offense would have on an every down basis. The spread (read: shotgun) works effectively in spot situations because you're trying to do specific things with it, rather than trying to do everything out of it.

Nice write up, but do you mean the 07 Pats team that set records for scoring? That may not be the team you want to bring up to counter an argument.
iPwn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

corry wrote:
iPwn wrote:
dswinton wrote:

Nice write up, but do you mean the 07 Pats team that set records for scoring? That may not be the team you want to bring up to counter an argument.

Yeah, them. Using them was sorta my point. A team with a top 5 all time coach, top 3 all time QB, top 2 all time WR (the greatest down field WR of all time), the best slot receiver of all time, and multiple Pro Bowl linemen that set all time records and would be the offense you would assemble if you ever wanted to run a spread and could have any players ever in the history of the NFL, couldn't do anything against an elite pass rush. Our players would see outputs like that against any good defense because our talent and coaching isn't anywhere near the level of those players.

#JagsOnly
swinton85

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
corry wrote:
iPwn wrote:
dswinton wrote:

Yeah, them. Using them was sorta my point. A team with a top 5 all time coach, top 3 all time QB, top 2 all time WR (the greatest down field WR of all time), the best slot receiver of all time, and multiple Pro Bowl linemen that set all time records and would be the offense you would assemble if you ever wanted to run a spread and could have any players ever in the history of the NFL, couldn't do anything against an elite pass rush. Our players would see outputs like that against any good defense because our talent and coaching isn't anywhere near the level of those players.

This post was to suggest a better change for the team. As I initially stated, we all know that it won't work in the NFL. I'm trying to get a game plan put together to help our two youngest stars become more acquainted with the league to have better success. Once this happens, then we can run whatever our little hearts desire.

Adrenaline_Flux

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swinton85 wrote:
iPwn wrote:
corry wrote:
iPwn wrote:
dswinton wrote:

This post was to suggest a better change for the team. As I initially stated, we all know that it won't work in the NFL. I'm trying to get a game plan put together to help our two youngest stars become more acquainted with the league to have better success. Once this happens, then we can run whatever our little hearts desire.

If it doesn't work in the NFL then why would it be a better change for the team?

How would running a system like that in the NFL get them acquainted with the league?

Why would that help us run whatever our hearts desire?

Winner of Football's Future Big Brother II
iPwn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, running a difference offense isn't going to help them grasp a pro style offense any quicker. It'll actually impede that growth. You learn by repetition and practice, not by trying something else that isn't a long term solution.

#JagsOnly
swinton85

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
Yeah, running a difference offense isn't going to help them grasp a pro style offense any quicker. It'll actually impede that growth. You learn by repetition and practice, not by trying something else that isn't a long term solution.

Without confidence we have nothing, and our main player doesn't have confidence yet. A temporary transition to the spread will help him to gain some of this "unseen" confidence. What we have going now, the pro style, has the team looking like novices. It wont hurt to see what the results would be, but staying the same and expecting a different result is the definition of insanity.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: