Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Nick Perry fined $15,000 for hit on Andrew Luck
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HighMotorGuy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hit should be legal. Helmet to helmet to the QB is nowhere near as bad as helmet to helmet to ball carriers
incognito_man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's tough to be a defender in the league these days.

What are fines? about 80-90% defensive guys I imagine.

That doesn't seem right.
bears2308

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, I hate the Packers but this is ridiculous. His rule changes have clearly affected the outcome of several games. I understand the penalty after reading prior posts, but a fine? Too far yet again, Roger.

Nobody likes you.
bears2308

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HighMotorGuy wrote:
The hit should be legal. Helmet to helmet to the QB is nowhere near as bad as helmet to helmet to ball carriers

In some cases. If the player doesn't see the guy coming and it's a helmet to helmet then the most damage will be done. A running back will have more strength then any quarterback so if he sees the guy coming and it's a helmet to helmet then I'd expect nothing more then one or both players getting their "bell rung". Still should cause some brain damage but not as much as a guy running full speed into a defenseless player.

This is why I understand the rule against a defenseless player but Perry clearly wasn't going for his head. He was going for a sack. If the sack caused Luck to fumble then I'm confused on how he was defenseless.
Keleth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HighMotorGuy wrote:

People sometimes post some real stupid stuff.
I presume you mean because the tackler isn't moving as fast as they would be in the open field ? (Can't think of any other way they can not be as bad).
bluesfreak74

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you can hit a RB in the head but you can't hit a QB in the head? Is that right?

If that is the case, somebody please explain how that makes one bit of sense.

A QB is now considered defenseless in the pocket? What a bunch of horse crap that is.

El Ramster on this beaut!
Germanbolt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just put your facemask into the QB and not the crown of your helmet and you are good to go.

These players really need to stop using their helmets as weapons. Using the facemask instead of the crown of the helmet is protecting the defensive player more than the QB

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Germanbolt wrote:
Just put your facemask into the QB and not the crown of your helmet and you are good to go.

These players really need to stop using their helmets as weapons. Using the facemask instead of the crown of the helmet is protecting the defensive player more than the QB

There is no difference between getting hit square in the chest with a facemask or a helmet crown, it hurts all the same, its not like the facemask is softer. The rule exists for the defensive player, hitting with a crown is a good way to break your neck, although in this case, Perry quickly lifted his head and drove Luck in the ground with his facemask on his chest, the crown only made contact for a brief instance on contact. The fact that ANY player with the ball in his hands in considered "defenseless" is such crap, the NFL has become such a joke with its protection rules.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame this is the first news forum thread of him I remember

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluesfreak74 wrote:
So you can hit a RB in the head but you can't hit a QB in the head? Is that right?

If that is the case, somebody please explain how that makes one bit of sense.

A QB is now considered defenseless in the pocket? What a bunch of horse crap that is.

Hitting a quarterback in the head while he has absolutely no momentum while the defender is running full speed is going to result in brain damage. He's not "defenseless" per-say, but a hit like that could cause significant brain damage. If the quarterback is running like a running back, and doesn't slide, then helmet to helmet like a ballcarrier to a linebacker wouldn't be a penalty since both sides would know of the on-coming hit. It's just one is trying to beat the other. This may be hard to imagine since every HC in the NFL tells their quarterback to NEVER take a hit like a running back, but in that scenario the QB wouldn't be defenseless and if helmets collided while they were trying to run through eachother it wouldn't result in a penalty.
stallyns

Global Moderator
FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bears2308 wrote:
Sure, I hate the Packers but this is ridiculous. His rule changes have clearly affected the outcome of several games. I understand the penalty after reading prior posts, but a fine? Too far yet again, Roger.

Nobody likes you.
most if not all on the field rules are made by the competition committee, enforced by the officials and penalized by the league. Roger Goodell is only responsible for one of those steps.
#59 - OL Jack Mewhort Ohio ST
#90 - WR Donte Moncrief Ole Miss
#166 - OLB Johnathan Newsome Ball ST
#203 - ILB Andrew Jackson Western Kentucky
#232 - OT Ulrick John Georgia ST
Ketchup

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stallyns wrote:
bears2308 wrote:

Nobody likes you.
most if not all on the field rules are made by the competition committee, enforced by the officials and penalized by the league. Roger Goodell is only responsible for one of those steps.
Goodell gets WAY to much hate for the rule changes in the last couple years. I just don't get it. People need a single entity to blame and direct there hate and that's just so darn silly. Learn the process and know who exactly is responsible for things.

Kempes on the custom sig!
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packerraymond wrote:
Germanbolt wrote:

There is no difference between getting hit square in the chest with a facemask or a helmet crown, it hurts all the same, its not like the facemask is softer. The rule exists for the defensive player, hitting with a crown is a good way to break your neck, although in this case, Perry quickly lifted his head and drove Luck in the ground with his facemask on his chest, the crown only made contact for a brief instance on contact. The fact that ANY player with the ball in his hands in considered "defenseless" is such crap, the NFL has become such a joke with its protection rules.

Not to mention that while the crown of your skull is the hardest part, and that's great and all for preventing skull fractures or splitting, it also means that your brain is being ricocheted off the hardest/densest part of its container. Yes, there's more surface are contacting and therefore for the force to be spread over, however it can also increase the risk for subdural hematoma.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither this or the Melvin Ingram hit should be penalties, and certainly not worthy of fines. I just don't know how you can run through someone without your body mechanics placing your head in front. Wonder why Ingram was fined more.
goldfishwars

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's the dumbest play I've seen all year - turning an easy sack, yards behind the line of scrummage and you turn it into a penalty? You deserve the fine on that basis alone.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: