Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Geno vs. Trade down: Season Long Tracking. Week 6 Version
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  

As of today, would you take Geno Smith or a Rams Style trade down.
Geno Smith
28%
 28%  [ 14 ]
Rams Style trade down
72%
 72%  [ 36 ]
Total Votes : 50

NickZambo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roger murdock wrote:
Take Geno. I think a team like Buffalo might take Weeden for a second rounder.

How do you figure? Fitz just signed a 6 year contract extension last year for 59 million with 24 mil in guarantees. Unless Buddy Nix has "retard" tattooed on his face...

Skipping over bruceb's posts since 2012

Last edited by NickZambo on Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
NickZambo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Productiondawg wrote:
Estonianzulu wrote:
NickZambo wrote:
There is virtually no risk in collecting and few extra 1st and 2nd round picks and keeping Weeden.

Unless Geno is a franchise QB and Weeden isn't in which case the risk is once again missing out on the franchise QB.

I am not convinced that Weeden is a franchise QB. I believe that Geno Smith can be. I vote Smith.

I don't understand how if you're not yet convinced about Weeden, how you could be about Geno Smith. I think Weeden has shown more because you know, he's played in a few NFL games, Geno has carved up some college defenses. Sure he smoked Baylor, so did Kieth Price last year in Washington's bowl game, why aren't we talking about drafting him? Don't get me wrong, I think Geno is making a good case for himself, but the guy was not on a single person's radar before he played Baylor, it was all Barkley this Barkley that with a touch of Wilson and Bray.

I could change my mind depending on the continued play of both QBs thru-out the rest of the season, but right now I'm going with the picks knowing that if need be, we can have the ammo to trade up for the guy next year that nobody is talking about right now.

Ding Ding Ding +1

Dawgpoun8017

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickZambo wrote:
roger murdock wrote:
Take Geno. I think a team like Buffalo might take Weeden for a second rounder.

How do you figure? He just signed a 6 year contract extension last year for 59 million with 24 mil in guarantees. Unless Buddy Nix has "retard" tattooed on his face...

I would believe this

Adopt a Brownie

TJ "Trauma" Ward

TKL- 75, INT- 2, Sack- 1.5,PDF-7, TD-2

NickZambo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Productiondawg wrote:
Estonianzulu wrote:
NickZambo wrote:
There is virtually no risk in collecting and few extra 1st and 2nd round picks and keeping Weeden.

Unless Geno is a franchise QB and Weeden isn't in which case the risk is once again missing out on the franchise QB.

I am not convinced that Weeden is a franchise QB. I believe that Geno Smith can be. I vote Smith.

I don't understand how if you're not yet convinced about Weeden, how you could be about Geno Smith. I think Weeden has shown more because you know, he's played in a few NFL games, Geno has carved up some college defenses. Sure he smoked Baylor, so did Kieth Price last year in Washington's bowl game, why aren't we talking about drafting him? Don't get me wrong, I think Geno is making a good case for himself, but the guy was not on a single person's radar before he played Baylor, it was all Barkley this Barkley that with a touch of Wilson and Bray.

I could change my mind depending on the continued play of both QBs thru-out the rest of the season, but right now I'm going with the picks knowing that if need be, we can have the ammo to trade up for the guy next year that nobody is talking about right now.

Double Ding Ding Ding +2

Estonianzulu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Productiondawg wrote:

I don't understand how if you're not yet convinced about Weeden, how you could be about Geno Smith. I think Weeden has shown more because you know, he's played in a few NFL game

Same could be said of Colt last season
Productiondawg

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estonianzulu wrote:
Productiondawg wrote:

I don't understand how if you're not yet convinced about Weeden, how you could be about Geno Smith. I think Weeden has shown more because you know, he's played in a few NFL game

Same could be said of Colt last season

Yes indeed. But nobody was talking about replacing him after only 5 starts.
Not to mention Weeden already has more 300+ yard games in his career.

Season tickets, section 315, since 06
See you in the Muni with the Tailgate DJs
shoffma1999

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would take Geno Smith and not think twice about it. Build a team around a franchise QB, that is the way to build a Super Bowl contender. Geno Smith has incredible downfield accuracy, nice arm strength, good touch, and quality mobilty (that he only uses when needed, i.e. not a running QB). If there is a trade market for McCoy or Weeden we could move one and have the other as a backup.

- Props to 64 CHAMPS for the awesome sig -
BgDawg

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If things stood the way they are today, I would take Smith and not look back.

I firmly believe that if Weeden does show improvement that this will not even be a decision that needs to be made. Weeden progressing would likely mean not having the number 1, or even perhaps top 5, pick.

This becomes an issue if Weeden does not show any more progress than he has these first five games.

Also, whether or not it is fair, age does have to be considered. Weeden has to look like he could turn into a top 10 QB heading into next season. Manning was 22 when he was drafted by the Colts. They had a few years before he reached his prime to show them that he was capable of being a top QB in the league.
FLAbrownfan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Draft today, take the trade and run, we could become a true force with those kind of picks, resign a few of our guys and one DB (saftey or CB) in FA, develop our WR's for once give a QB (weeden) a chance to develop- I think T-rich was held back these first few weeks to get 100%, if he plays like he did last week with our guards stepping up then I think we can win with our offense.

Getting a kings ransom on our team and still get a great talent will help our team more then yet another rookie QB......

I guess I'm saying in old man weeden I trust!

R.I.P Crackburn, always in our hearts
adopt a Brown: Davone Bess - The best- one catch, one first down--- never mind person foul takes away! arrghhh Reg on the SIG
wukusimw

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not gonna lie, I'm infatuated with Geno. He has everything you want in today's game. The leadership, steady improvement throughout college, wins games, accurate in all phases, can audible, etc.

That being said, if Weeden even shows a tidge of improvement I would take the trade down. If he regresses then take Geno, but I doubt that happens because of his age and the coaches he has around him. He will stop throwing these dumb interceptions at some point. That's the only thing holding him back really. And taking what the defense gives him.

All this being said, why even try and depend on a QB for Cleveland to win? There have been 10 qbs or so and some of them were decent. Just take the picks, build a great team around the QB ala SF and win games.

In the very least, finish off the defense and take another good back and a guard to help Richardson out and win games that way.

That would be a team well suited for McCoy as well.
Dawgpoun8017

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember being at the Syracuse WV game last year when they absolutely shut down Geno

Adopt a Brownie

TJ "Trauma" Ward

StewieRules

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To quote the great George Foreman, "...40 isn't a death sentence."

Well ok, 29 in this case, but you get my point. If we assume, for a moment, that Weeden continues his progression (and anyone who looks at preseason & 1st game tape vs what he's done since has to acknowledge that he's improved by a bunch) and assuming our draft position will be very high, then I don't see how you don't do the trade down. Smith looks like a tremendous prospect, there's little question of that - but when you consider that we're a team with some pretty obvious needs, the trade-down scenario certainly helps fill those much quicker than drafting yet another QB.

Also I disagree about the QB relating to the teams record meaning Weeden must be a failure if we go 1-15. Aikman went 1-15 his 1st year with Dallas, did that mean he was a failure?? Peyton Manning?? Its a team game guys - would Smith fair any better with the pieces around him then Weeden? I like Smith a lot, but I think the answer to that is no. Unlike Colt (whom I also like btw) Weeden has shown flashes of what he can do - things Colt couldnt do - in the passing game. Arm strength matters. Weeden has made progress, and I think he'll continue to do do and that being the scenario, a trade down scenario could (if we draft correctly) provide us with a CB, S, WR and maybe even a DE or Guard to finally get us over the hump.

You can't preach stability and patience and then go through essentially an annual QB change and hope to be successful. OF all our bevy of QBs, none has gone on to do anything with anyone else, so I think overall we didn't draft well there. Colt showed flashes as a rookie so he got the nod for the following season - and his limitations were unfortunately revealed. Weeden shows flashes too - of a completely different magnitude - and we need to let him continue doing so.

Trade down, build the team, get a name FA or two - and then let the guys have at it.
clubberlang

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As of right now im taking the trade down but its very close. I like what i've seen from geno this season and the few games i seen last year from him. He's looking the part of a possible franchise qb and its hard to pass that up. Weeden has shown flashes and has made some rookie mistakes. If he was 23 then this would probably be a no brainer but his age is going to play a big role into it. We only have so many seasons with him and he has to come along at a greater rate than your typical rookie qb. Im sure my opinion on this will change a lot over the course of the year if we do end up picking #1.
Drew_Carey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawgpoun8017 wrote:
I remember being at the Syracuse WV game last year when they absolutely shut down Geno

yeah, he only threw for 338 yards - 58.5% ... 134 QB rating.

just before it LSU shut him down too... 463 yards - 58%, 122.3 qb rating. ... which by the way Geno put more yards against LSU's defense than any other including #3 Oregon and #2 Alabama.

I mean he only finished his Junior year with over 4,300 yards at almost 66%, 31-7 TD ratio, and a 152.6 QB rating.

Last edited by Drew_Carey on Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dawgpoun8017

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drew_Carey wrote:
Dawgpoun8017 wrote:

yeah, he only threw for 338 yards - 58.5% 2 tds and 2 picks... 134 QB rating.

just before it LSU shut him down too... 463 yards - 58%, 2 tds and 2 picks... 122.3 qb rating. ... which by the way Geno put more yards against LSU's defense than any other including #3 Oregon and #2 Alabama.

His stats dont tell the story of the game, He was uunder pressre all game, looked very uneasy, Cuse beat them down that game so he pretty much had to thrw the whole game though.

Adopt a Brownie

TJ "Trauma" Ward

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: