Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Geno vs. Trade down: Season Long Tracking. Week 6 Version
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  

As of today, would you take Geno Smith or a Rams Style trade down.
Geno Smith
28%
 28%  [ 14 ]
Rams Style trade down
72%
 72%  [ 36 ]
Total Votes : 50

nugpimpen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Geno vs. Trade down: Season Long Tracking. Week 6 Version Reply with quote

I thought this might be a fun way to keep track of our perspectives for the rest of the season and up until the draft.

I will be Doing this twice more during the Regular Season, Once during the playoffs and a few times in the offseason.

I'm basically hoping to gauge the Forum wide Interest in the following ideas.

This is based on the idea that the Browns will be left with deciding between taking Geno or trading down 2012 Rams style.

Yes I know we may not pick # 1 and yes I know we may not get that type of offer anyway, but it should be fun to see where we all stand now, and as the season progresses.

I'm sure opinions will chance from time to time depending on how our team plays, how Weeden plays, and how people see Geno Smith play during the rest of the season.

That said, as of right now, would you draft Geno Smith or Take a trade of 2013 1st, 2nd 2014 1st and 2015 1st. Also assuming that the drop would not be past pick 5.

As of right now, I would vote trade down. I think we could use those picks to finish our defense and maybe get another weapon on offense.

I know Weeden is old, but I think he has all the talent you need to succeed at QB in this league. Over the next 4-5 years, we could always either draft a later QB to learn, or even use one of those extra 1sts to grab a 1st rounder to groom.

Thoughts?

IDOG_det on the incredible sig!
nugpimpen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also like some written responses folks.... Laughing

paul-mac

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about another QB other than Geno Smith?

Fify.
candyman93

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul-mac wrote:
What about another QB other than Geno Smith?

Geno Smith or bust

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too soon to tell.

Gotta wait and see how the final 11 games play out.

Right now I have a hard time believing Weeden is the reason we are 0-5, I'll say that.

I also don't know if he's good enough to pass on a top talent.

First Ballot Cleveland Browns Forum Hall of Fame Inductee.
TypicalBrowns10

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are referring to Matt Barkley, I may throw my computer. Confused

For the topic at hand though, I chose trade down. Geno Smith is gonna be an exciting player in the league. He will fold like RG3 and Micheal Vick does in the league. Just my opinion.

I saw us trading with a candidate such as Oakland or KC. They are both in need of a quarterback and its obvious. We do the Rams like steal. Trade is too kind of a word.

2013 1st round draft pick- Jarvis Jones LB Georgia, Pick 1-5

2nd round pick (via Oak or KC)- Johnathon Banks CB Mississippi State

This is How I see it going down. We land a stud for years to come at LB and we get a cornerback to be #2. This is of course if we get the #1 overall pick.

I also thought about us getting a safety in the 2nd. But I hope we get Byrd from the Bills who is a natural ball hawk.
nugpimpen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
Too soon to tell.

Right now I have a hard time believing Weeden is the reason we are 0-5, I'll say that.

Agree about it not being Weeden's fault.

It was definitely his fault we lost the Eagles game, but outside of that he has been fine.

Also agree with Candy, it's Geno or bust at this rate. It's far enough in the College season to see that it should be a landslide Heisman win and #1 Pick.

LETSGOBROWNIES

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nugpimpen wrote:
LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
Too soon to tell.

Agree about it not being Weeden's fault.

It was definitely his fault we lost the Eagles game, but outside of that he has been fine.

Also agree with Candy, it's Geno or bust at this rate. It's far enough in the College season to see that it should be a landslide Heisman win and #1 Pick.

Yeah, as of right now Geno Smith certainly looks like the best QB unless Logan Thomas turns into Cam Newton the last half of the season (which is highly unlikely).

As was the case with RGIII, I think folks are going to want to see him throw an NFL route tree and see his actual height weight.

Does anyone have a link that shows off Smith's arm strength? Every 'scouting report' notes him having a strong arm, but the games and highlights that I've see haven't shown it. Certainly nothing like Weeden's.

First Ballot Cleveland Browns Forum Hall of Fame Inductee.
EL Brownso

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TypicalBrowns10 wrote:
If you are referring to Matt Barkley, I may throw my computer. Confused

For the topic at hand though, I chose trade down. Geno Smith is gonna be an exciting player in the league. He will fold like RG3 and Micheal Vick does in the league. Just my opinion.

I saw us trading with a candidate such as Oakland or KC. They are both in need of a quarterback and its obvious. We do the Rams like steal. Trade is too kind of a word.

2013 1st round draft pick- Jarvis Jones LB Georgia, Pick 1-5

2nd round pick (via Oak or KC)- Johnathon Banks CB Mississippi State

This is How I see it going down. We land a stud for years to come at LB and we get a cornerback to be #2. This is of course if we get the #1 overall pick.

I also thought about us getting a safety in the 2nd. But I hope we get Byrd from the Bills who is a natural ball hawk.

The only thing Smith and Vick/Griffin have in common is the color of their skin. Vick was a running QB that learned to pass, Griffin similar to Vick but was far more accurate. Smith on the other hand is not a scrambler, he sits in the pocket for the most part and finds open receivers. Smith is also bigger than both RGIII and Vick.

I don't see how Vick or Griffin has folded. Griffin hasn't even played half a year and is the most exciting rookie in the league. Any team would have liked to have Vick before he went to jail.

No need to compare apples to oranges.
NateDawg

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If our front office thinks that Smith is a franchise quarterback, I don't think you can pass on him. You win championships in this league with franchise quarterbacks. There wasn't a price that a team could have paid for the Colts to trade away the rights to Andrew Luck this year. And, based off of what we've seen so far, you can't blame them.

With that said, I'll be honest, I haven't seen enough of Smith to know how he projects yet. I'm just going off of highlights. If there's much question as to how he projects, I'd be more than content grabbing a bunch of draft picks and staying in the top 5. Get a dominant defensive end to go opposite of Sheard. That would really add some serious strength to the defense. The defensive line would have to be, on paper, one of the best in the league if they got a big time guy at DE. Adding draft picks in a trade back would also seriously help our draft class, as we do not have a second round pick next year at this point. Add in a cornerback, offensive guard, and a linebacker with your next few picks. Get a big time wide receiver and a safety in free agency, and I think this team could be vastly improved. We have the cap space to make some moves.

Unrelated, but I think it's time for Jordan Cameron to take the reps away from Ben Watson. It would be good to see where we are at on the guy as this season goes. Watson isn't really a part of our future, and it would be good to know if Cameron can develop into one of Weeden/whomever's targets going into next season. Also, activate Smiley and see if he can add something to the offense that Marecic clearly can't.
DawgSoldier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO there is at least 3 holes on D.

RDE franchise style pass rusher (That is not anyone on the roster)

A #2 CB (That is not anyone on the roster)

A deep center fielding ball hawking cover safety.

A Rams style trade down would address this and provide a draft cache of picks for the future.

Adopt a Brown: QB Brandon Weeden
247/433 57% 2820yds 6.5avg 13 TD 15 Int
TypicalBrowns10

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geno is 6'3 and Rg3 is 6'2 and Vick is 6'0. all weigh in at about 215 lbs. As soon as they take off which they all will. Injury risk sets in. I meant folded as in a defender will fold them. My bad should've been clearer on that. Geno is sitting in the pocket against PAC-12 competition. You could be a pocket passer their in my opinion but hey he is putting up great numbers and is looking good. I just made it my opinion they will trade the pick.
EL Brownso

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying I would take Geno. He is playing Big-12 competition and I wouldn't want to sit in the pocket against Texas. They have two of the best DEs in the country.
bulldog

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all for trading down. having all those pics in the future would really help the team .
TypicalBrowns10

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EL Brownso wrote:
I'm not saying I would take Geno. He is playing Big-12 competition and I wouldn't want to sit in the pocket against Texas. They have two of the best DEs in the country.

Wanted to add too that RG3 was a pocket passer in college too.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: