Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What happened to Nnamdi Asomugha?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yupyup

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He got older, and put into a new system. He's still really good though.

Aaron Rodgers becomes a top 10 QB again [X]
USC looks like a top 15 team []
Todd Gurley becomes a household name []
Big Rob

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nnamdi belongs at the line of scrimmage and playing bump and run, that's his game he is average in space.

Get em at the line where he can use those long arms and he'll be good.
RandyMossIsBoss

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is he still an elite cb? No, I actually only think there is one CB who deserves being called elite in the NFL right now and that's obviously Revis. (Webb is making a good case though, and no guarantee Revis will ever be the same) Nnamdi is not "just an average corner." He' still a top 10 cornerback, may very well be top 5. You could even make a case for him being the 2nd best. However, you can no longer call him 1b like you could when he came to the Eagles. At the end of the day though I'm thrilled we have Nnamdi. Good matchups coming up to truly gauge Nnamdi in will be against Lions, Saints, Cowboys, and Bucs. Nnamdi is a big physical corner so obviously he will tend to have a better game when going up against those type of receivers rather than speedsters. Not saying it's ok for Nnamdi to get torched by speedsters (which he really hasn't), but it's something you can look past if he shuts down bigger guys due to his skillset and size.

~Bird Watch 2014 | Nick Foles~
1,628 yards, 10 TDs, 7 INTs, 82.0 Passer Rating
BirdsFan06050

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eagles_808 wrote:
From the Eagles forum:

Scrabble Watch 2012

Quote:
From STATS LLC,
Final 2011 numbers

Targets 41
Cacthes Allowed 21
Yards 314
TDs 4

Quote:

Through 5 weeks of 2012

Targets 21
Completions 10
Yards 118
TDs 1
PDs 4
3 penalties

He's not doing as bad as some people are making it out to be, it's just that his expectations were too high to meet. I'll bet there are numerous, if not 15-20 teams around the NFL that would love to have him on their roster as a starting CB.

Bravo. Applause

But seriously, if anybody is ever wondering how Asomugha is doing, feel free to stop by and join the chat in the Scrabble thread. J-ALL-DAY does a fantastic job of keeping track of his targets, yards allowed, catches allowed, etc. on a weekly basis.
"There are stories of coincidence and chance, of intersections and strange things told, and which is which and who only knows; and the book says we may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us."
chris00cm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eagles_808 wrote:
And btw, Danny Amendola got the best of Patrick Peterson during TNF last week. Every top CB gets roasted.

I think he does more than you think.

But I think scheme is a HUGE reason why Asomugha has not been as elite as he was in Oakland.

I look at Cortland Finnegan as a really good example. When Jeff Fisher left the Titans, "Finny" was good, but he had an off year statistically. He was not a shutdown corner in his last year with the Titans. That's why everyone was confused when they saw him break the bank with the Rams this off-season.

So far this season, Finnegan has been as good as he ever has been in his career. He is back with Jeff Fisher. He is back in the system he is most comfortable in, and he is clearly thriving because of that. Corners are very scheme dependent. In Nnamdi's case, going from a bump-and-run LCB to more of a zone guy that is all over the field has clearly affected him.

Xbox Live Gamertag: Chris Sanity
Catch42

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three things, he got older, plays in a different system, and the NFC East is a tougher division than the AFC West.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has nothing to do with zone coverage, Nnamdi is getting roasted in man coverage too. He's was elite in Oakland, he's not elite anymore.
CP3MVP

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the most overrated players ever. I've never understood why he got so much hype for covering number 2 recievers in Oakland. Any elite corner could dominate not trailing number ones and covering only side of the field
reckless123

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CP3MVP wrote:
One of the most overrated players ever. I've never understood why he got so much hype for covering number 2 recievers in Oakland. Any elite corner could dominate not trailing number ones and covering only side of the field

Then you clearly didnt see him play. I saw games where he had the best WR such as Steve Smith, Larry Fitzgerald etc. I remember in 2010 where he shut down Larry Fitzgerald albeit with derek anderson throwing him the ball. Overrated would mean people still thinking he is as good as revis and that he was like this in oakland. he just hasnt lived up to expectations. In oakland they played bump and run for the most part. He was asked to shut down one side of the field and thats it. Now he is moving around, to nickel, to safety etc. pretty ignorant post if you tell me.

"I'm not in the danger, I AM the DANGER" - Heisenberg
JTagg7754

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reckless123 wrote:
CP3MVP wrote:

Then you clearly didnt see him play. I saw games where he had the best WR such as Steve Smith, Larry Fitzgerald etc. I remember in 2010 where he shut down Larry Fitzgerald albeit with derek anderson throwing him the ball. Overrated would mean people still thinking he is as good as revis and that he was like this in oakland. he just hasnt lived up to expectations. In oakland they played bump and run for the most part. He was asked to shut down one side of the field and thats it. Now he is moving around, to nickel, to safety etc. pretty ignorant post if you tell me.

Agreed. Nnamdi was not overrated at all. The CB position is, but his play at it surely was not.

PM sig requests.
saintsfan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's just simply not as good a zone corner as he is a man corner. It's not that unusual. Man is harder physically, being able to shut down a good WR 1 on 1 is about as tough a job as there is in the NFL. Zone is tougher mentally, because there are a lot more reads you need to make, a lot more discipline, and ultimately more guys you have to "cover". I played corner in HS and was pretty good at man coverage, but only ok at zone. There's some CBs who can't cover 1 on 1 very well, but are excellent at reading the routes and staying disciplined in their zone.

www.beattproductions.com

Adopt-A-Saint 2014
WR Kenny Stills 15 cat 244 yds 1 TD
S Rafael Bush 27 tak 0 INT 2 PD
BLick12

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

saintsfan wrote:
He's just simply not as good a zone corner as he is a man corner. It's not that unusual. Man is harder physically, being able to shut down a good WR 1 on 1 is about as tough a job as there is in the NFL. Zone is tougher mentally, because there are a lot more reads you need to make, a lot more discipline, and ultimately more guys you have to "cover". I played corner in HS and was pretty good at man coverage, but only ok at zone. There's some CBs who can't cover 1 on 1 very well, but are excellent at reading the routes and staying disciplined in their zone.

The biggest problem seems to be his communication with our young safeties specifically Kurt Coleman. There have been a lot of plays where you see Nmandi yelling at him for not being in the right position. You begin to wonder which of them is in the wrong, but more often than not it does appear to be Kurt Coleman, especially in the Giants game where he was biting on play-action with the Giants trailing with <2 min left in the game.

As an Eagles fan I've had no real qualms about his play. He could do a better job on occasion playing the ball in the air but for the most part he has been as good as advertised.

Another Ginger QB in the AFC North.

Looking forward to the "No Soul Bowl" twice a year
sp6488

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mozwanted wrote:
honestly. He might have been a fraud to began with.

We would always brag about how good he is. But the only argument we would use is the fact "he gets thrown at the least". Which probably had more to do with oakland have other cbs and safeties that were so bad they didnt need to pick on scrabble.

Plus honestly, nfc east is a star killer. People join the division thinking they are going to be the same superstar. Only problem nfc east is one of the tougest division in nfl and it can make any star player look average because of the talent pool its around.

To this point, as many of the posters in this thread have mentioned it, if Nnamdi were really so easy to pick on, but opposing QB's just chose not to so he recevied hype, don't you think that they would eventually pick on him for that very reason. Lets not forget that players are humans with real egos, not madden characters or robots. If a QB is constantly hearing that Scrabble is the best, but knows that he could easily be picked on, isn't he going to make sure to complete a healthy amount of passes on him (since it's apparently so simple)? Wouldn't that make him and his receiver look good, torching the "best" CB?

IMO the logic that he was never good, people justr coincidentally didn't throw at him is beyond flawed.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's in a position where he actually has a quality CB opposite him and he's actually being challenged rather than avoided.

CK on the sig
J Pep 4 Step

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
mozwanted wrote:
honestly. He might have been a fraud to began with.

We would always brag about how good he is. But the only argument we would use is the fact "he gets thrown at the least". Which probably had more to do with oakland have other cbs and safeties that were so bad they didnt need to pick on scrabble.

Plus honestly, nfc east is a star killer. People join the division thinking they are going to be the same superstar. Only problem nfc east is one of the tougest division in nfl and it can make any star player look average because of the talent pool its around.

To this point, as many of the posters in this thread have mentioned it, if Nnamdi were really so easy to pick on, but opposing QB's just chose not to so he recevied hype, don't you think that they would eventually pick on him for that very reason. Lets not forget that players are humans with real egos, not madden characters or robots. If a QB is constantly hearing that Scrabble is the best, but knows that he could easily be picked on, isn't he going to make sure to complete a healthy amount of passes on him (since it's apparently so simple)? Wouldn't that make him and his receiver look good, torching the "best" CB?

IMO the logic that he was never good, people justr coincidentally didn't throw at him is beyond flawed.

I think he is/was good. I also think it was easy to avoid going his direction. And I think QB's prefer the win stat to the "comp vs Scrabble stat."

CK on the sig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 3 of 17

Jump to: