Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What happened to Nnamdi Asomugha?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
Especially when he got paid even more 3 years ago to stay in Oakland and kept the same level of play. He's just at his best in man coverage. Outside of it, he's not special. I didn't watch him this year though, did he improve in zone?

To expand on this a bit. In Oakland you are pretty much left on an island the whole game. Nnamdi was left on his side matched up one on one with zero help. He played great and was impressive but at the same time he never had to worry about what the LB or Safeties were doing (Never is a stretch but relative to any other scheme/team).

In Philly one play you might be in man the other zone. Other times you are lined up in the slot, left side, right side, pretty much you are thinking way more. So while in Oakland it's difficult because you get zero help, in Philly while you get help it's a lot more thinking that you have to do. The benefit of course is that the QB has a lot of thinking to do as well.

Nnamdi was perfect for what Oakland was doing. In Philly, he's still a top CB but has come back down to earth.

I could be off, but that's just my two cents...
oakdb36

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheVillain112 wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
Especially when he got paid even more 3 years ago to stay in Oakland and kept the same level of play. He's just at his best in man coverage. Outside of it, he's not special. I didn't watch him this year though, did he improve in zone?

To expand on this a bit. In Oakland you are pretty much left on an island the whole game. Nnamdi was left on his side matched up one on one with zero help. He played great and was impressive but at the same time he never had to worry about what the LB or Safeties were doing (Never is a stretch but relative to any other scheme/team).

In Philly one play you might be in man the other zone. Other times you are lined up in the slot, left side, right side, pretty much you are thinking way more. So while in Oakland it's difficult because you get zero help, in Philly while you get help it's a lot more thinking that you have to do.

Nnamdi was perfect for what Oakland was doing. In Philly, he's still a top CB but has come back down to earth.

I could be off, but that's just my two cents...

From what i saw last year, that's basically it. Zone and man are totally different. Nnamdi was a college safety turned CB in Oakland because Al Davis figured his combination of long arms and good speed would make him a perfect fit in the type of defense the Raiders had been running almost exclusively since the 60's, press man coverage. So all he really worked on during his time in Oakland was the press man coverage technique which he perfected after a few years. He never got much experience playing zone there and i highly doubt he practiced it either since it wasn't part of what the Raiders did. It's not surprising he could struggle when asked to do something he isn't familiar with.
DontTazeMeBro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacoby Jones clearly got the better of him. I also noticed him on both sides of the field where in Oakland he pretty much never left the right side.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
1/10. Not a fan[of C.J. Mosley]. Just another future failed Alabama product.
eagles101

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tinoynk wrote:
I haven't watched an excessive amount of Eagles games, but I feel like a big reason has to be that with DRC and a decent amount of talent around him, offenses can't just stay away from him like they did in Oakland. His amazingness with the Raiders was pretty much solely his lack of targets, so it doesn't really shock me that when he gets targeted more, he isn't 100% lockdown dominant.

thats pretty much impossible to be. every lockdown CBs are not 100% like you said they dont really have much of a choice but to pass to Aso. if DRC went down people would stop passing it towards him.

I don't understand most of that, but I can tell it's probably inaccurate.
Remixxxxxxx

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a big fan of Nnamdi at all, and I've made that clear in the Eagles forum, but what he's suffering from is what I like to call "TOHIGHOFEXPECTATIONSISTIS"[to high of expectations]. Everyone, myself included, expected this dude to come in and not give up a single reception and if he did then it was a failure. We expected pure, 100% shutdown play, and that's an unreasonable expecation from anyone.

He's still a good player, he's still a top ten cornerback, but he's showing signs that he is human. It could be that he signed a fat contract and he's under a bigger spotlight, or because he's slowing down with age.
Rockice_8

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should have signed with the Jets and been in the right system.

Props to Mack on the sig
tinoynk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eagles101 wrote:
tinoynk wrote:
I haven't watched an excessive amount of Eagles games, but I feel like a big reason has to be that with DRC and a decent amount of talent around him, offenses can't just stay away from him like they did in Oakland. His amazingness with the Raiders was pretty much solely his lack of targets, so it doesn't really shock me that when he gets targeted more, he isn't 100% lockdown dominant.

thats pretty much impossible to be. every lockdown CBs are not 100% like you said they dont really have much of a choice but to pass to Aso. if DRC went down people would stop passing it towards him.

That's pretty much my point, and obviously I was being hyperbolic by saying "100% lockdown dominant."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's not surrounded by terrible players anymore, thus he doesn't look like a god.

Steve Smith Sr. on Panthers Secondary wrote:
"I'm 35 years old and I ran around those boys like they was schoolyard kids."
LOLKevinKolb

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He gets called for stuff he wouldn't have 5 years ago. He's playing alongside another top CB and a solid run D so he is occasionally thrown at.

He's still a top CB. He just gives up a catch every now and then. I can't believe how many times I've heard someone say DRC is better than he is. I can't help but wonder if they've watched an Eagles game.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
And use the boners for soup to survive through the winter

Bird Watch: Keelan Johnson - one magnificent tackle
eagles101

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tinoynk wrote:
eagles101 wrote:
tinoynk wrote:

That's pretty much my point, and obviously I was being hyperbolic by saying "100% lockdown dominant."

i thought you were saying that i just wanted to specify it more.

I don't understand most of that, but I can tell it's probably inaccurate.
bmore4life815

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing happened. It's still as clear as day that he's the best corner in football not named Darrelle Revis. He allowed only 13 catches going into December last year, and, if memory serves me correct, allowed less than 2 catches a game. His 61% success rate also indicated that he was his usual elite self. Despite this, people began claiming on here that he was always overrated.

So, all in all, nothing's wrong with Nnamdi. Can't say the same for some of the fans and Ryan Clark, though.

Bernard "Crush Boy" Pollard- Forever a Raven

El Ramster on the sig that isn't going anywhere
Eagles_808

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:
Jacoby Jones clearly got the better of him.

On that TD catch, it was 3rd and 4, so Nnamdi was sitting on the quick curl/dig. The double move did work however. But if you recall on that play, DeMeco Ryans came through a blitz up the A gap untouched, but was tripped by Oher on his way in, allowing Flacco to get the pass off.

The other big Jones catch was called a OPI iIrc, but it was the replacement refs, so there is no way to say if that was the right or wrong call.

And btw, Danny Amendola got the best of Patrick Peterson during TNF last week. Every top CB gets roasted.
BlaqOptic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there are several reasons that Nnamdi doesn't appear to be the guy he was 4 or 5 years ago...

Reason 1:
Since coming to Philadelphia Nnamdi has not been allotted the same physicality he was allowed in Oakland. Like Darrelle Revis he had earned the right to play physical beyond 5 yards. However, since arriving in Philly he has been getting flagged for seemingly small contact that is still technically illegal. The ridiculous part is sometimes it is flagged against him and other times these exact same techniques result in OPI calls like you saw two weeks ago...

Reason 2:
The Eagles starting safety duo is below average. Some Eagles fans might like Nate Allen but all he is truly good at is playing deep zone and sometimes he even fails at that. However, Kurt Coleman is just terrible. Like, he sucks at everything except for getting run over and catching tipped passes. Nnamdi and Coleman have a HUGE problem with communication. More often than not Nnamdi is playing one technique expecting Coleman to play the Safety technique that corresponds. Instead Kurt does the opposite. So for example Nnamid plays outside technique and Coleman plays the run... Big play and since only Nnamdi is around he gets blamed. Or Nnamdi plays trail technique expecting Kurt to help him over the top but Kurt bites on the short route despite being told not to.

Reason 3:
Nnamdi is expected to play all over the field much more than he did in Oakland including spending a significant amount of snaps in the slot. He's no longer asked to cover the opposition's #1 but to cover the opposition's most physical receiver.

Trust in the 4Bs: Ben, Bell, Blount and Brown!
D.Revis24

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Admittedly, I didn't watch many Raider games so I didn't see him often. But since he came to the Eagles, I haven't been impressed.

Props to El Ramster on the sig
Juandamentals

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOLKevinKolb wrote:
He gets called for stuff he wouldn't have 5 years ago. He's playing alongside another top CB and a solid run D so he is occasionally thrown at.

He's still a top CB. He just gives up a catch every now and then. I can't believe how many times I've heard someone say DRC is better than he is. I can't help but wonder if they've watched an Eagles game.

From what I've watched this season DRC has been playing much better football than Asomugha. Every game Asomugha seems to give up big plays whether it's TDs or penalties. People say in Oakland QBs feared throwing to his side, now it seems QBs look his way first. Nnamdi is still a good corner but he isn't nearly as dominate as advertised when the Eagles signed him.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 2 of 17

Jump to: