Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What happened to Nnamdi Asomugha?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alfalcone

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: What happened to Nnamdi Asomugha? Reply with quote

Two years ago he was arguably the best corner in football, but ever since joining the Eagles, a far better defense than Oakland, he has been nothing but average. Why did he fall off, age, scheme, just sitting on his money? I know the Eagles play far more zone than Oakland, but that in it of itself doesn't seem to explain is rapid decline.
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's 31 years old and playing in a different defensive system.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I swear someone made this thread on here the other day...but I cant find it.

Anyway...he is still damn good and a top 10 CB.....he just isnt elite like he was in Oakland?

Scheme is by far the biggest reason.

May have been some personal decline....not many players can keep up what he was doing.

Still, some people see him giving up catches these days and act like he is terrible, simply because he was so amazing in Oakland.

Scrabble is still a very good QB, and I think he could still be elite in the right defense. Just another overrated signing for the Eagles (the player isnt overrated IMO, just the signing based on how he fits with them).
GangGreen420

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still wonder sometimes what it would of been like had he came to the Jets and got to play in this scheme opposite Revis.
Eagles_808

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Eagles forum:

Scrabble Watch 2012

Quote:
From STATS LLC,
Final 2011 numbers

Targets 41
Cacthes Allowed 21
Yards 314
TDs 4

Quote:

Through 5 weeks of 2012

Targets 21
Completions 10
Yards 118
TDs 1
PDs 4
3 penalties

He's not doing as bad as some people are making it out to be, it's just that his expectations were too high to meet. I'll bet there are numerous, if not 15-20 teams around the NFL that would love to have him on their roster as a starting CB.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GangGreen420 wrote:
I still wonder sometimes what it would of been like had he came to the Jets and got to play in this scheme opposite Revis.

They already have the top CB duo in the league with Revis and Cro. Adding Scrabble wouldve been overkill and not really helped them with their main issues right now. It wouldve just locked more money up in a position they dont really need that type of help at.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He got paid. Thats why. Big money free agents seem to rarely work out as planned these days. Mostly because your pumping in a bunch of money to players who have peaked.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
He got paid. Thats why. Big money free agents seem to rarely work out as planned these days. Mostly because your pumping in a bunch of money to players who have peaked.

That point might be more legit if he had stayed with the Raiders and was playing horribly or something, but thats not what is happening. He went to a new team, a new defense with new responsibilities and role, and doesnt fit there as well. But he is still playing hard and playing quite well....just not on an elite level.

You do have a point in saying that they paid a guy who peaked...but saying "he got paid" implies something else.
jyod21

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
GangGreen420 wrote:

They already have the top CB duo in the league with Revis and Cro. Adding Scrabble wouldve been overkill and not really helped them with their main issues right now. It wouldve just locked more money up in a position they dont really need that type of help at.

They wouldn't have resigned Cro if they signed Nnamdi.
mozwanted

honestly. He might have been a fraud to began with.

We would always brag about how good he is. But the only argument we would use is the fact "he gets thrown at the least". Which probably had more to do with oakland have other cbs and safeties that were so bad they didnt need to pick on scrabble.

Plus honestly, nfc east is a star killer. People join the division thinking they are going to be the same superstar. Only problem nfc east is one of the tougest division in nfl and it can make any star player look average because of the talent pool its around.

Last edited by mozwanted on Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
oakdb36

FourThreeMafia wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

That point might be more legit if he had stayed with the Raiders and was playing horribly or something, but thats not what is happening. He went to a new team, a new defense with new responsibilities and role, and doesnt fit there as well. But he is still playing hard and playing quite well....just not on an elite level.

You do have a point in saying that they paid a guy who peaked...but saying "he got paid" implies something else.

Especially when he got paid even more 3 years ago to stay in Oakland and kept the same level of play. He's just at his best in man coverage. Outside of it, he's not special. I didn't watch him this year though, did he improve in zone?
tinoynk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't watched an excessive amount of Eagles games, but I feel like a big reason has to be that with DRC and a decent amount of talent around him, offenses can't just stay away from him like they did in Oakland. His amazingness with the Raiders was pretty much solely his lack of targets, so it doesn't really shock me that when he gets targeted more, he isn't 100% lockdown dominant.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jyod21 wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
GangGreen420 wrote:

They wouldn't have resigned Cro if they signed Nnamdi.

For some reason, I thought they signed Cro before they went after Scrabble.

Even if they didnt, Scrabble wouldve been much more expensive, and my point still stands regarding him not solving their real issues.
baconrad3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What happened to Nnamdi Asomugha? Reply with quote

alfalcone wrote:
Two years ago he was arguably the best corner in football, but ever since joining the Eagles, a far better defense than Oakland, he has been nothing but average. Why did he fall off, age, scheme, just sitting on his money? I know the Eagles play far more zone than Oakland, but that in it of itself doesn't seem to explain is rapid decline.

And this statement is nothing but ridiculous.

Nnamdi has been average since coming to Philly?

That's news to me.

But I've watched every Eagles game since he joined the team so what would I know?

#OfficialBlakeBortlesHypeTrain
Mossburg

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tinoynk wrote:
I haven't watched an excessive amount of Eagles games, but I feel like a big reason has to be that with DRC and a decent amount of talent around him, offenses can't just stay away from him like they did in Oakland. His amazingness with the Raiders was pretty much solely his lack of targets, so it doesn't really shock me that when he gets targeted more, he isn't 100% lockdown dominant.

I've yet to see a single game where DRC isn't chasing wide receivers like they stole something from him despite being physically superior. That excuse doesn't work.

He was as close to flawless as you can get when he gathered the hype. There are many reasons you can list as to why he's no longer like that be it scheme or the players he has to work with, but it's insanely difficult to play at that kind of level in such a fickle position where so many variable are out of your control.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -Mark Twain

Last edited by Mossburg on Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 1 of 17

Jump to: