Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Who wins Coach of the Year?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StLunatic88

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^
How can you name 10 coaches and not even mention Jeff Fisher? Thats just ridiculous. This Rams franchise has wont 15 games in 5 seasons, HISTORICALLY awful. He has started to turn them around in one year, a job that many would assume could take 3 full seasons to do. They have a winning record for the first time since 2006 (near an NFL record games without one) and in one calender week they won the same amount of games as they did the entire 2011 season.

I know alot of other guys have a good case thus far, but to name 10 coaches and not have Jeff Fisher is just Wrong.
doomer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean Payton

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StLunatic88 wrote:
^^^
How can you name 10 coaches and not even mention Jeff Fisher? Thats just ridiculous. This Rams franchise has wont 15 games in 5 seasons, HISTORICALLY awful. He has started to turn them around in one year, a job that many would assume could take 3 full seasons to do. They have a winning record for the first time since 2006 (near an NFL record games without one) and in one calender week they won the same amount of games as they did the entire 2011 season.

I know alot of other guys have a good case thus far, but to name 10 coaches and not have Jeff Fisher is just Wrong.

Agreed. When I originally picked my COTY in another thread, I think I went with Whisenhunt... but then I thought about it and I really think if the Rams keep it up, it's got to be Jeff Fisher.

The Cardinals were in the Super Bowl during Whisenhunt's tenure... and while they've been bad the past few seasons, they've had some big name talents on that squad... and they've reloaded more through the draft. He's done a great job of having his team show improvement, but Fisher has taken a team that has been in the cellar for years... that seemingly couldn't play defense to save their lives, that were overwhelmed in many-a-games... and he's given them a new attitude. He's turned the culture around and you can clearly tell that now the team expects to win football games. That pass rush has become lethal. That defensive backfield is MUCH improved. Fisher, I have to imagine is the front runner.

After Fisher I'd think the job that Leslie Frazier is doing should give him the 2nd place vote.

Jim Harbaugh and Bill Belichick are tied for 3rd ATM for me. I think it could go either way.

I have Whisenhunt in 4th, I think he should be 2nd ATM, but I just don't expect to see the Cardinals keep up this pace... but I could be wrong.

I like what Pete Carroll is doing and has done, he's getting it done. He could easily win this award with the right outcome to the season.

I agree with the other names in contention as well... I'd also include John Harbaugh. You consider he's lost his premier pass rusher, a player that just won the DPOY this past season, lost some good veterans to free agency, and has dealt with adversity affecting one of his best offensive players... and he has the team at 4-1, with the Ravens defense 7th in the league in scoring, a top 10 offense (scoring and yards), and a nice special teams unit. Under the circumstances, one might've been understanding if the Ravens had an "off" year and regressed some, but he's kept the guys playing and playing hard and physical.

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StLunatic88 wrote:
^^^

...hmm, left him off. I could of SWORN I had him in mind when posting in this thread to begin with. Mind got swirling there, my bad.

I'd probably have Fisher in Kubiak's spot, push Kubs down to the 5 spot and Belicheck leading up the "names to note" list.

EDIT: Updated, and moved Kubiak/Belicheck into a 5a/5b ranking. Because I'm kinda lazy like that. Very Happy

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.

Last edited by EliteTexan80 on Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total
stchamp98

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elite-

It's Ray Horton, not Tom Horton. It's not Tim Horton either, sorry Canadians.

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
Elite-

It's Ray Horton, not Tom Horton. It's not Tim Horton either, sorry Canadians.

Damn! I actually WORK with a guy named Tom Horton. I'm getting FF and work crossed up. Laughing

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
adam9

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Leslie Frazier
2. Mike Smith
3. Ken Whisenhunt/Jeff Fisher/Pete Carroll
4. Gary Kubiak
5. Jim Harbaugh

#3 is weird on my list for a reason. Whichever of those teams make the playoffs their coach will be placed there, if none do they all get removed. I see the Vikes making at least a WC so that's why Frazier is first, and its hard to deny the seasons of Jim Harbaugh, Mike Smith, and Gary Kubiak.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frazier is on the top of my list right now. It's not just the wins that are impressive. That team looks completely different than it did last year. Much like the Niners did from 2010 to 2011. I'll eat my words if they end up losing the rest of their games, but at his point in time, it has to be Frazier for me.

The rest are harder to quantify. The Rams, Bears, Cardinals could be in the conversation, but I question their offenses right now. A good defense is a great thing to have, but if you don't have, at the very least, a game manager QB, it's not going to be enough to win enough games for the playoffs. Jay Cutler is a turnover machine at 7 TD to 7 INT. Sam Bradford isn't too far off at 6 TD to 5 INT. Kolb is looking much more like a 2011 Alex Smith at 7 TD to 2 INT, but they lost their top two RBs for the season and have the worst O-line I've seen in ages.

I know this is a Coach of the Year thread, but if the team doesn't sniff the playoffs, it's very doubtful the Coach gets the award.

Plenty of time for teams to come around and possibly fix problems they're seeing early on in the season, though. My list could easily change in another five weeks. And, even again in the remaining 6.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite a 2-3 record the Dolphins are playing some great football. Clearly outplayed their opponents in 2 of their losses..

BTW, look at the next 6 games on Miami's schedule.. Again, I REPEAT, look at the next 6 teams on Miami's cupcake schedule. Rams (Rams absolutely suck on the road, not anywhere near as good as at home) -- 3-3 at the BYE WEEK -- at NY Jets (Dolphins with 2 weeks to prepare will destroy the Jets as the Jets are in a tailspin and Miami has owned them the past few years - huge revenge game as Miami should have won a few weeks ago but Carpenter missed two field goals in the 4th and in the overtime -- Miami matches up extremely well against the Jets, even 90% of Jets fans on their boards said Miami should have won that game a few weeks ago and manhandled their team) -- Titans at home -- Bills -- Seahawks at home (Seahawks are not nearly as good on the road as their home stadium. a coast to coast trip and we may see a replay when Miami destroyed the Raiders on a C2C trip in Miami)

When all is said and done, I think Joe Philbin will be in line for Coach of the Year, or he will be the runner-up for the award. He's been terrific in putting players in proper positions to succeed (something Miami fans are not used to after Tony Sparano who he was horrific at this)

Take a look where the Dolphins rank in various categories versus the other 31 teams after 5 weeks:

#6 Rushing
#7 Rush Yards Per Game.
#2 Longest Run From Scrimmage.
#2 Rushing Touchdowns.
#3 Average Yards Per Pass Reception.
#7 Yards Per Attempt (YPA is a HUGE stat in the NFL, look at the teams over the past 15 years with best combined YPA for offense and defense, and they are always atop the league every season).
#2 Longest Pass Play From Scrimmage.
#2 Punt Return Attempts.
#6 Avg. Yards Return Per Punt.
#5 Longest Punt Return
#1 (tied) Punt Return For TD.
#1 Forced Punts.
#6 In Sacks Allowed
#6 Rushing First Downs.
#3 In Third Down Conversions
#6 In Total Penalties
#7 In Penalties Yards
#8 Solo Tackles
#4 In Sacks
#6 In Passing Touchdown's Allowed
#6 In Redzone Defense
#6 In 20+ Yard Completions
#4 In Interceptions
#4 Forced Fumbles
#1 Defense Against the Run
#1 In Pass Completion % Against the Blitz (5 or More pass Rushers). Tannehill has been absolutely fantastic when blitzed

14 Categories In The Top 5.

Miami should be 4-1 when you actually watched all the games (lone loss to Texans but Miami dominated the first quarter and a half until they had 3 turnovers in 4 plays with 5 mins left in the 2nd quarter, JJ WATT killed us -- but aside from those 5 minutes Miami has outplayed everyone, even Houston on that day)

The Dolphins are 12-2 against the Point Spread in their last 14 games dating back to last season. Wink

If you're smart, or if you want to be smart with your money, you're betting on Miami in the foreseeable future. I watch all the player and coaches interviews every day, and this season reminds me of the 2008 season when Miami went 11-5 and made the playoffs after a horrific 1-15 season in 2007 (In that 2008 season the Dolphins also started out 2-3, and 0-2). This year, it's the same thing. The Dolphins are clearly more physical than their opponents winning the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball every week. This is a very confident team with some very key players in their contract year playing some great football, the vibe in the room is excellent, the players love their new coaching staff,, the players love Tannehill their young QB, and they're a very happy and loose team wanting to prove the world wrong (the ridiculous preseason predictions from magazines picking Miami to go 4-12 or 3-13 this season, etc)
Badger75

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Bear Leslie Frazier Wink
Rosstafarian

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huckaby wrote:

Miami should be 4-1 when you actually watched all the games (lone loss to Texans but Miami dominated the first quarter and a half until they had 3 turnovers in 4 plays with 5 mins left in the 2nd quarter, JJ WATT killed us -- but aside from those 5 minutes Miami has outplayed everyone, even Houston on that day)

Revisionist history. You guys did not do anything threatening on offense in the second half of that game. It wasn't entirely JJ Watt that killed you, but his batted passes did immediately turn the tide of the game (Oh and Danieal Thomas's timely fumble)
waremd

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Leslie Frasier
2. Ken Wisenhunt
3. Jeff Fisher
Everyone else

^---Props to thesickness89 for the sig ---^
GoneWithTheWind

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
My current short list:

1. Leslie Frazier, Vikings: People had the Vikings as dead in the water coming into this season, with their best playmaker coming off of a bad injury, questions at QB and a questionable secondary. I don't think there are many of us who didn't believe the Vikings wouldn't be picking in the top 10. Through five games, the Vikings look like one of the best teams in the NFL, with Adrian Peterson looking as good as ever, an enhanced Percy Harvin as a short list candidate for OPOY, Christian Ponder as the best 2nd year QB, and a secondary that isn't losing games for 'em. This team may of peaked too early, but it's safe to say they won't be picking in the 5-10 range in the draft. Great job by Frazier overall.

I think Leslie should definetly be the front runner. The team has really taken to his quiet business mentality. I don't think he gets enough credit for how well the defense is playing right now it's been the staple of the 4-1 start. Also I would say the Vikings haven't peaked yet. In the San Fran and Tennessee games when the playbook was opened up for Ponder was when the offense looked best. If the Leslie and Musgrave can continue to slip out of this conservative play-calling there's no telling how far this team can go. Depending of course the defense and special teams continue to be stout when the schedule gets tougher.

Shoutout to JTagg7754 on the sig!

"No! try not! Do or do not. There is no try.
terbo559

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For now Gary Kubiak, and Mike Smith is top of the list. Followed by Jim Harbaugh, Leslie Frazier, Ken Winsenhunt, Bill Belichick.
Pugger

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't even Halloween. Ask us again in December.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: