Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jerry Wants The O-line To Block Better
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CowboysTilIDie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got to thinking (dangerous, I know) and Jerry HAS to be thinking OL mainly in the 1st round this year right? I mean, look at this team. We don't have any big, glaring needs that need addressing in the 1st round more than OL (and DL). Lets look:

QB: Probably less than a 1% chance of taking a QB.
RB: See above.
FB: 0% chance.
WR: I could def. see us taking one past the first 2 rounds. Can't justify one before that though.
TE: 0%
ILB: We are set with starters here. Could see depth added later.
OLB: This is the only other position I could see us taking in the first rd. Going to depend on Spencer leaving/staying. If he stays, that eliminates another first round possibility.
CB: Yea...not gonna happen in first round. Later? For sure. Especially is Jenkins leaves.
S: This will be addressed in the draft I think but not in 1st round unless Eric Reid falls to us (which he won't).

So that leaves the OL and DL as the only units that Jerry could really justify spending a 1st round pick on, right? This hasn't been the case in the past as the team has been having so many glaring holes to fill. If they don't take an OL/DL in the first two rounds, I would love to hear them justify that.

Huge props to LORK for the sig

Official Supporter of "The Process."
TVScout

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
TVScout wrote:
Our O-line problems go back to Parcells who picked 6 and busted on everyone of them. Jerry, somehow, has hit home runs or at least base hits every 4 years on average.
Allen 1994
Flo 1998
Gurode 2002
4 years of Parcells
Tyron 2011

Maybe we will have to wait until 2015? Anxious

So in other words, 3 solid offensive lineman, none selected in the first round until Tyron Smith in 2011, make up for 16 years' worth of pathetic offensive lines? You do understand that 5 guys line up there and not just one, right? So, what does it say about his choices for the 4 other positions over the years?

That would be 3 solid players in 8 years. Then Parcells came in and wrecked it.
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CowboysTilIDie wrote:
I got to thinking (dangerous, I know) and Jerry HAS to be thinking OL mainly in the 1st round this year right? I mean, look at this team. We don't have any big, glaring needs that need addressing in the 1st round more than OL (and DL). Lets look:

WR: I could def. see us taking one past the first 2 rounds. Can't justify one before that though.
OLB: This is the only other position I could see us taking in the first rd. Going to depend on Spencer leaving/staying. If he stays, that eliminates another first round possibility.
CB: Yea...not gonna happen in first round. Later? For sure. Especially is Jenkins leaves.
S: This will be addressed in the draft I think but not in 1st round unless Eric Reid falls to us (which he won't).

So that leaves the OL and DL as the only units that Jerry could really justify spending a 1st round pick on, right? This hasn't been the case in the past as the team has been having so many glaring holes to fill. If they don't take an OL/DL in the first two rounds, I would love to hear them justify that.

My guess is he will go OLB. If jones wanted spencer re-signed, it would be done instead of paying him 8.8m this year. It seems they are really far apart on money. And if we've learned anything from Jerry, he loves to make the splash. He will justify it by saying that he addressed the OL the last 2 years and they only need time to gel.

DTOMcornbread

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do Tony Romo and Abraham Lincoln have in common?

Neither one can make it through a play...

^^^^^^^^^^^
Thanks STSHE92
dahobofest

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CowboysTilIDie wrote:

They'll probably draft OLB...
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TVScout wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
TVScout wrote:
Our O-line problems go back to Parcells who picked 6 and busted on everyone of them. Jerry, somehow, has hit home runs or at least base hits every 4 years on average.
Allen 1994
Flo 1998
Gurode 2002
4 years of Parcells
Tyron 2011

Maybe we will have to wait until 2015? Anxious

So in other words, 3 solid offensive lineman, none selected in the first round until Tyron Smith in 2011, make up for 16 years' worth of pathetic offensive lines? You do understand that 5 guys line up there and not just one, right? So, what does it say about his choices for the 4 other positions over the years?

That would be 3 solid players in 8 years. Then Parcells came in and wrecked it.

There's no doubt that Parcells whiffed on nearly every offensive lineman he brought in, but Jerry all but avoids even bringing them in at all. That's the problem. I'll at least give Bill a little credit - not a lot, but a little - for making the attempt by drafting guys. Did they work out? Most of them didn't, but two guys did have a chance, but we sent them packing too soon: Stephen Peterman (3rd round, 2004) never had the chance to even compete in Dallas due to his injury but has had a solid career as the starting RG with Detroit since 2006. Al Johnson (2nd round, 2003) was having decent success off and on in Dallas, but his injuries were too often occurring to warrant keeping him around. He went on to have reasonable success in Arizona until getting hurt there, too.

The rest? All junk, especially Jacob Rogers. Talk about a waste of a 2nd round pick.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
Desperado82

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a little early to declare the likes of Arkin and Kowalski junk, wouldn't you plan? I also wouldn't be so quick to throw out Ron Leary.

^^^mack
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:
I think it's a little early to declare the likes of Arkin and Kowalski junk, wouldn't you plan? I also wouldn't be so quick to throw out Ron Leary.

I'm not ready to give up on Kowalski. But if Arkin can't win a starting job over what we got going right now... that's scary for his professional prospects.

Desperado82

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:

I'm not ready to give up on Kowalski. But if Arkin can't win a starting job over what we got going right now... that's scary for his professional prospects.

Well, I think you have to remember he was raw coming out of a D-II school. Rookie year - no off-season. His second year, he's forced to play center throughout the preseason due to injuries. He showed some promise, but wasn't really able to focus on his natural position.

I'm willing to bet next year will be his breakout season. Hopefully we'll have someone like Barrett Jones to plug in at center next to him and (if we're lucky) another good young OG prospect to groom behind Livings.

^^^mack
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:

Is it too soon to call them "junk"? I guess it would depend on your perspective. You know that I'm a fan of Kowalski and agree that Arkin needed/needs time to develop. However, my concern with him is that he must have been very far behind the curve if he can't crack the starting lineup given the talent devoid players currently occupying some of those positions.

Also, I went on record since draft day that I was 100% behind Ron Leary. I like Leary. I believe in Leary. And I know that the guy can play. I watched him in college. That being said, I look at who we have - regardless of potential (or lack thereof) - and would ask this:

Knowing that we currently only have a collection of young guys whom we hope can play well, why should that stop us from drafting stud offensive linemen early in the draft? Isn't it a better scenario to have "too much" depth at o-line rather than none? Even if the guys we have develop into talented players, what's wrong with having starting caliber backups behind potential pro-bowl starters?

Northland wrote:
atran35

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Jerry Wants The O-line To Block Better Reply with quote

flyingmonkey30 wrote:
atran35 wrote:
PincheJimmy wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:
PincheJimmy wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:
PincheJimmy wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4699055/jerry-jones-wants-to-see-the-offensive-line-block-better

Quote:
Jones was direct in saying he wants the line to improve and noted he's adding pressure to the interior of the line, Ryan Cook, Nate Livings and Mackenzy Bernadeau, to produce. Jones mentioned backup guard Derrick Dockery and his size, 6-6, 325 pounds, as someone who can also help.

And wasn't he going on record for the better part of the last 6 months telling us how greatly the line has improved with the on-the-cheap signings of Livings and Burnindeuce? Nope. No need for o-line help here. No reason to draft anyone when you have the chance. The roster was set!

Wait.....

EDIT:

I also find it lovely that he's the one going on record to say that the o-line needs to perform better rather than the head coach. You know, the guy whose job it is to make those statements.

So the GM cannot comment on his roster, I am confused, What is all right for a GM to comment on the players he has put on the field? Please enlighten us

Perhaps you missed it but we actually did a poll in the forum where 90% of us agreed that Jerry should shut the hell up about player performance. Tell me one other GM in the NFL that goes to the media to talk specifically about players or players performance.

Yep, I missed it, sorry I don't go check every post. Yes , Jerry should shut his mouth but doesn't, nothing I can do about it. Yes, If DeCastro was on another team , he prolly don't get hurt. So the offseason pickups on The O line aren't working out, but did the front office know that???? They thought it could work , that's why they went about improving the Defense and THEY have , do you think not? So now they are stuck with the 30th ranked offense. The way I see it, they can only go up from there but then again , I tend to see things in a positive light. If it don't work , let hope they address next year , even if they do go out and draft O line, I am sure There will be people crying about the picks as usual . Good luck boys , I have a feeling they gonna win this Sunday!!!!

I think this is a fair question... If the GM spent more time analyzing game tape and less time doing commercials and brokering deals with victoria secret, do you think he might have figured out Livings and Burningduece weren't very good??? You talk about Konz not starting as a rookie for the Falcons. Do you realize Burningduece didn't start last year for the Panthers as a vet?

Do you think Jerry came to this conclusion by himself? Do you not think Garret , Callahan, and then scouting dept didn't have some input in the signing of these guys?? How long does it make a stupid commercial or broker a deal? im sure Jerry has people to work on this Is Jerry not entitle to personal time? What if instead of doing the commercial, he spent the time with his grand kids? Would that make it all right?

YES. I do. I have seen JJ make stupid decisions in the past...trading draft picks for Roy Williams etc...choosing OL and DL in the 3rd or 4th rounds or FA. He is enamored by the skilled positions( CBs/WRs/RBs ). He has done this time and time again. If he did do his OWN personal homework he would have known that MacKenzie was not the right fit. And why did he re sign Dockery instead of Holland? Holland statically and with our own eyes was the dominant backup/starter.

The thing you are forgetting about Jerry is that he doesn't always make his own decisions. From what I have heard from guys like Bryan Broaddus, a former Dallas scout, Jerry takes in all the information from his guys that he can. He knows that there are other people that will do the work for him, so he just hires them and listens to them. Often times, whoever gets to speak to Jerry last, and convince him that their idea is the best, gets their way. So in short, I do believe that there were plenty of other minds involved in trading up for Morris Claiborne, and signing Nate Livings and Mac to fill in on the o-line.

Why does he need to do his "own personal homework?" If all GMs operated that way, scouts would not exist. Assistant GMs would not exist. Even the best GMs out there don't go around making all of their own decisions based on what they know, and only what they know. There is a whole team involved, and believe it or not, Jerry also has a team that he trusts, and he follows their advice more often than not. Really, the problem is that sometimes, Jerry just happens to listen to the wrong people. How we fix that? Not a clue.

There is the ISSUE. He is the GM. His job is to focus scouting...watching tapes...seeing who fits...which includes talking to scouts...but in the end HE should do his own HW. That is the mark of a TRUE NFL GM. JJ is not a true NFL GM. He is GM in name only. He's basically playing MADDEN.

Last edited by atran35 on Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
dahobofest

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you trade Miles Austin for a great guard or center that greatly improves the line?
atran35

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dahobofest wrote:
Would you trade Miles Austin for a great guard or center that greatly improves the line?

No because Austin is the most consistent WR we have. He actually catches the ball.
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dahobofest wrote:

Yes, and I wouldn't think twice about it as long as the player-for-player value in the trade is there.

Northland wrote:
flyingmonkey30

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Jerry Wants The O-line To Block Better Reply with quote

atran35 wrote:
There is the ISSUE. He is the GM. His job is to focus scouting...watching tapes...seeing who fits...which includes talking to scouts...but in the end HE should do his own HW. That is the mark of a TRUE NFL GM. JJ is not a true NFL GM. He is GM in name only. He's basically playing MADDEN.

Honestly, he really isn't the GM. All he does is make roster decisions. Sure, he holds that title, but if the job of a GM is to scout and all that jazz, then Stephen is the GM now. Jerry just holds the title and gets the final say.

Again, he does his homework. Just not in the sense that you think he should. He does his homework by hiring other people to do it for him. Its like as a kid, I always wanted to be able to call up a company that I would pay to actually do my homework, and do it well.

Anyways, I think we can agree that he is a bad GM. But my main point is, he makes most of his decisions based on what other, football minds, tell him to do.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: