Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jerry Wants The O-line To Block Better
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Desperado82


Joined: 20 Feb 2010
Posts: 29244
Location: Maryland
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CowboysTilIDie wrote:
I have no link to back this up, but I just saw a tweet by ProFootballFocus that Doug Free is ranked as the 64th best Tackle in the NFL. Now, if you aren't good at math don't fret. I got you.

There are 32 teams in the NFL.

Each starts 2 tackles.

That equals 64 starting Tackles in the league.

Therefore, Doug Free, according to them, is the worst starting Offensive Tackle in the National Football League.


Also...for what it's worth, I believe those same guys had us ranked as the 18th (?) best OL in the league last year.
_________________

^^^Deadpulse
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
flyingmonkey30


Moderator
Joined: 04 Mar 2007
Posts: 6682
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CowboysTilIDie wrote:
I have no link to back this up, but I just saw a tweet by ProFootballFocus that Doug Free is ranked as the 64th best Tackle in the NFL. Now, if you aren't good at math don't fret. I got you.

There are 32 teams in the NFL.

Each starts 2 tackles.

That equals 64 starting Tackles in the league.

Therefore, Doug Free, according to them, is the worst starting Offensive Tackle in the National Football League.


I would take that seriously, but its PFF
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CowboysTilIDie


Joined: 09 Jan 2012
Posts: 3716
Location: Amarillo, TX
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
CowboysTilIDie wrote:
I have no link to back this up, but I just saw a tweet by ProFootballFocus that Doug Free is ranked as the 64th best Tackle in the NFL. Now, if you aren't good at math don't fret. I got you.

There are 32 teams in the NFL.

Each starts 2 tackles.

That equals 64 starting Tackles in the league.

Therefore, Doug Free, according to them, is the worst starting Offensive Tackle in the National Football League.


Based on what I've seen, I can't disagree with them.

BTW, good post.


Preciate it.

Also, here is another interesting tidbit. According to Football Outsiders, here is the breakdown for when we run to the Left End, Left Tackle, Middle/Guards, Right Tackle, and Right End:

Left End: 4.38 yds - Ranked 12th
Left Tackle: 4.94 yds - Ranked 7th
Middle/Guards: 2.96 yds - Ranked 30th
Right Tackle: 2.85 yds - Ranked 27th
Right End: 2.43 yds - Ranked 26th

So...yea. The left side isn't necessarily the problem. From Center to the right, dreadful.
_________________

Thanks for the sig LORK!

Official Supporter of "The Process."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CowboysTilIDie


Joined: 09 Jan 2012
Posts: 3716
Location: Amarillo, TX
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingmonkey30 wrote:
CowboysTilIDie wrote:
I have no link to back this up, but I just saw a tweet by ProFootballFocus that Doug Free is ranked as the 64th best Tackle in the NFL. Now, if you aren't good at math don't fret. I got you.

There are 32 teams in the NFL.

Each starts 2 tackles.

That equals 64 starting Tackles in the league.

Therefore, Doug Free, according to them, is the worst starting Offensive Tackle in the National Football League.


I would take that seriously, but its PFF


But, either way. Lets say they are way off. If he is ranked as the worst in any set of statistical analysis, that is not good.
_________________

Thanks for the sig LORK!

Official Supporter of "The Process."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
flyingmonkey30


Moderator
Joined: 04 Mar 2007
Posts: 6682
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CowboysTilIDie wrote:
flyingmonkey30 wrote:
CowboysTilIDie wrote:
I have no link to back this up, but I just saw a tweet by ProFootballFocus that Doug Free is ranked as the 64th best Tackle in the NFL. Now, if you aren't good at math don't fret. I got you.

There are 32 teams in the NFL.

Each starts 2 tackles.

That equals 64 starting Tackles in the league.

Therefore, Doug Free, according to them, is the worst starting Offensive Tackle in the National Football League.


I would take that seriously, but its PFF


But, either way. Lets say they are way off. If he is ranked as the worst in any set of statistical analysis, that is not good.


I agree, but I don't think it should all be on Free. He gets a lot of flack because he has to cover for Mac on every play. If Livings were the right guard, I think that we would be talking about Tyron being the worse of the two tackles. Mac makes the entire right side dreadful
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The_Slamman


Joined: 06 Feb 2005
Posts: 13749
Location: Las Vegas, NV
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CowboysTilIDie wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:
CowboysTilIDie wrote:
I have no link to back this up, but I just saw a tweet by ProFootballFocus that Doug Free is ranked as the 64th best Tackle in the NFL. Now, if you aren't good at math don't fret. I got you.

There are 32 teams in the NFL.

Each starts 2 tackles.

That equals 64 starting Tackles in the league.

Therefore, Doug Free, according to them, is the worst starting Offensive Tackle in the National Football League.


Based on what I've seen, I can't disagree with them.

BTW, good post.


Preciate it.

Also, here is another interesting tidbit. According to Football Outsiders, here is the breakdown for when we run to the Left End, Left Tackle, Middle/Guards, Right Tackle, and Right End:

Left End: 4.38 yds - Ranked 12th
Left Tackle: 4.94 yds - Ranked 7th
Middle/Guards: 2.96 yds - Ranked 30th
Right Tackle: 2.85 yds - Ranked 27th
Right End: 2.43 yds - Ranked 26th

So...yea. The left side isn't necessarily the problem. From Center to the right, dreadful.


I don't recall where (I want to say Bob Sturm) said something like 33%-40% of all our running plays have resulting in a tackle for loss. More than anything else, that's just scary to me.
_________________
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.


Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CowboysTilIDie


Joined: 09 Jan 2012
Posts: 3716
Location: Amarillo, TX
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingmonkey30 wrote:
CowboysTilIDie wrote:
flyingmonkey30 wrote:
CowboysTilIDie wrote:
I have no link to back this up, but I just saw a tweet by ProFootballFocus that Doug Free is ranked as the 64th best Tackle in the NFL. Now, if you aren't good at math don't fret. I got you.

There are 32 teams in the NFL.

Each starts 2 tackles.

That equals 64 starting Tackles in the league.

Therefore, Doug Free, according to them, is the worst starting Offensive Tackle in the National Football League.


I would take that seriously, but its PFF


But, either way. Lets say they are way off. If he is ranked as the worst in any set of statistical analysis, that is not good.


I agree, but I don't think it should all be on Free. He gets a lot of flack because he has to cover for Mac on every play. If Livings were the right guard, I think that we would be talking about Tyron being the worse of the two tackles. Mac makes the entire right side dreadful


Can't say I disagree with you.
_________________

Thanks for the sig LORK!

Official Supporter of "The Process."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
flyingmonkey30


Moderator
Joined: 04 Mar 2007
Posts: 6682
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CowboysTilIDie wrote:
flyingmonkey30 wrote:
CowboysTilIDie wrote:
flyingmonkey30 wrote:
CowboysTilIDie wrote:
I have no link to back this up, but I just saw a tweet by ProFootballFocus that Doug Free is ranked as the 64th best Tackle in the NFL. Now, if you aren't good at math don't fret. I got you.

There are 32 teams in the NFL.

Each starts 2 tackles.

That equals 64 starting Tackles in the league.

Therefore, Doug Free, according to them, is the worst starting Offensive Tackle in the National Football League.


I would take that seriously, but its PFF


But, either way. Lets say they are way off. If he is ranked as the worst in any set of statistical analysis, that is not good.


I agree, but I don't think it should all be on Free. He gets a lot of flack because he has to cover for Mac on every play. If Livings were the right guard, I think that we would be talking about Tyron being the worse of the two tackles. Mac makes the entire right side dreadful


Can't say I disagree with you.


While we are on the topic, gosh he sucks. Cant wait till we grab a guard in the draft to replace him. And a center while we are at it
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TD-ES-JJ


Joined: 25 Feb 2005
Posts: 1857
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeneralDissaray wrote:
TD-ES-JJ wrote:
Actually, the GM needs to draft better Lineman. They would then be able to block better.


Doesn't he have to actually draft lineman?


Very true.
_________________


Sig Courtesy of thesickness89
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Desperado82


Joined: 20 Feb 2010
Posts: 29244
Location: Maryland
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TD-ES-JJ wrote:
GeneralDissaray wrote:
TD-ES-JJ wrote:
Actually, the GM needs to draft better Lineman. They would then be able to block better.


Doesn't he have to actually draft lineman?


Very true.


Three in '11, two brought in as UDFA.
_________________

^^^Deadpulse
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
atran35


Joined: 22 Dec 2007
Posts: 3235
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Jerry Wants The O-line To Block Better Reply with quote

PincheJimmy wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:
PincheJimmy wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:
PincheJimmy wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4699055/jerry-jones-wants-to-see-the-offensive-line-block-better

Quote:
Jones was direct in saying he wants the line to improve and noted he's adding pressure to the interior of the line, Ryan Cook, Nate Livings and Mackenzy Bernadeau, to produce. Jones mentioned backup guard Derrick Dockery and his size, 6-6, 325 pounds, as someone who can also help.


And wasn't he going on record for the better part of the last 6 months telling us how greatly the line has improved with the on-the-cheap signings of Livings and Burnindeuce? Nope. No need for o-line help here. No reason to draft anyone when you have the chance. The roster was set!

Wait.....

EDIT:

I also find it lovely that he's the one going on record to say that the o-line needs to perform better rather than the head coach. You know, the guy whose job it is to make those statements.


So the GM cannot comment on his roster, I am confused, What is all right for a GM to comment on the players he has put on the field? Please enlighten us


Perhaps you missed it but we actually did a poll in the forum where 90% of us agreed that Jerry should shut the hell up about player performance. Tell me one other GM in the NFL that goes to the media to talk specifically about players or players performance.



Yep, I missed it, sorry I don't go check every post. Yes , Jerry should shut his mouth but doesn't, nothing I can do about it. Yes, If DeCastro was on another team , he prolly don't get hurt. So the offseason pickups on The O line aren't working out, but did the front office know that???? They thought it could work , that's why they went about improving the Defense and THEY have , do you think not? So now they are stuck with the 30th ranked offense. The way I see it, they can only go up from there but then again , I tend to see things in a positive light. If it don't work , let hope they address next year , even if they do go out and draft O line, I am sure There will be people crying about the picks as usual . Good luck boys , I have a feeling they gonna win this Sunday!!!!


I think this is a fair question... If the GM spent more time analyzing game tape and less time doing commercials and brokering deals with victoria secret, do you think he might have figured out Livings and Burningduece weren't very good??? You talk about Konz not starting as a rookie for the Falcons. Do you realize Burningduece didn't start last year for the Panthers as a vet?


Do you think Jerry came to this conclusion by himself? Do you not think Garret , Callahan, and then scouting dept didn't have some input in the signing of these guys?? How long does it make a stupid commercial or broker a deal? im sure Jerry has people to work on this Is Jerry not entitle to personal time? What if instead of doing the commercial, he spent the time with his grand kids? Would that make it all right?


YES. I do. I have seen JJ make stupid decisions in the past...trading draft picks for Roy Williams etc...choosing OL and DL in the 3rd or 4th rounds or FA. He is enamored by the skilled positions( CBs/WRs/RBs ). He has done this time and time again. If he did do his OWN personal homework he would have known that MacKenzie was not the right fit. And why did he re sign Dockery instead of Holland? Holland statically and with our own eyes was the dominant backup/starter.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
flyingmonkey30


Moderator
Joined: 04 Mar 2007
Posts: 6682
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Jerry Wants The O-line To Block Better Reply with quote

atran35 wrote:
PincheJimmy wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:
PincheJimmy wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:
PincheJimmy wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4699055/jerry-jones-wants-to-see-the-offensive-line-block-better

Quote:
Jones was direct in saying he wants the line to improve and noted he's adding pressure to the interior of the line, Ryan Cook, Nate Livings and Mackenzy Bernadeau, to produce. Jones mentioned backup guard Derrick Dockery and his size, 6-6, 325 pounds, as someone who can also help.


And wasn't he going on record for the better part of the last 6 months telling us how greatly the line has improved with the on-the-cheap signings of Livings and Burnindeuce? Nope. No need for o-line help here. No reason to draft anyone when you have the chance. The roster was set!

Wait.....

EDIT:

I also find it lovely that he's the one going on record to say that the o-line needs to perform better rather than the head coach. You know, the guy whose job it is to make those statements.


So the GM cannot comment on his roster, I am confused, What is all right for a GM to comment on the players he has put on the field? Please enlighten us


Perhaps you missed it but we actually did a poll in the forum where 90% of us agreed that Jerry should shut the hell up about player performance. Tell me one other GM in the NFL that goes to the media to talk specifically about players or players performance.



Yep, I missed it, sorry I don't go check every post. Yes , Jerry should shut his mouth but doesn't, nothing I can do about it. Yes, If DeCastro was on another team , he prolly don't get hurt. So the offseason pickups on The O line aren't working out, but did the front office know that???? They thought it could work , that's why they went about improving the Defense and THEY have , do you think not? So now they are stuck with the 30th ranked offense. The way I see it, they can only go up from there but then again , I tend to see things in a positive light. If it don't work , let hope they address next year , even if they do go out and draft O line, I am sure There will be people crying about the picks as usual . Good luck boys , I have a feeling they gonna win this Sunday!!!!


I think this is a fair question... If the GM spent more time analyzing game tape and less time doing commercials and brokering deals with victoria secret, do you think he might have figured out Livings and Burningduece weren't very good??? You talk about Konz not starting as a rookie for the Falcons. Do you realize Burningduece didn't start last year for the Panthers as a vet?


Do you think Jerry came to this conclusion by himself? Do you not think Garret , Callahan, and then scouting dept didn't have some input in the signing of these guys?? How long does it make a stupid commercial or broker a deal? im sure Jerry has people to work on this Is Jerry not entitle to personal time? What if instead of doing the commercial, he spent the time with his grand kids? Would that make it all right?


YES. I do. I have seen JJ make stupid decisions in the past...trading draft picks for Roy Williams etc...choosing OL and DL in the 3rd or 4th rounds or FA. He is enamored by the skilled positions( CBs/WRs/RBs ). He has done this time and time again. If he did do his OWN personal homework he would have known that MacKenzie was not the right fit. And why did he re sign Dockery instead of Holland? Holland statically and with our own eyes was the dominant backup/starter.


The thing you are forgetting about Jerry is that he doesn't always make his own decisions. From what I have heard from guys like Bryan Broaddus, a former Dallas scout, Jerry takes in all the information from his guys that he can. He knows that there are other people that will do the work for him, so he just hires them and listens to them. Often times, whoever gets to speak to Jerry last, and convince him that their idea is the best, gets their way. So in short, I do believe that there were plenty of other minds involved in trading up for Morris Claiborne, and signing Nate Livings and Mac to fill in on the o-line.

Why does he need to do his "own personal homework?" If all GMs operated that way, scouts would not exist. Assistant GMs would not exist. Even the best GMs out there don't go around making all of their own decisions based on what they know, and only what they know. There is a whole team involved, and believe it or not, Jerry also has a team that he trusts, and he follows their advice more often than not. Really, the problem is that sometimes, Jerry just happens to listen to the wrong people. How we fix that? Not a clue.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TVScout


Joined: 05 May 2009
Posts: 1690
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our O-line problems go back to Parcells who picked 6 and busted on everyone of them. Jerry, somehow, has hit home runs or at least base hits every 4 years on average.
Allen 1994
Flo 1998
Gurode 2002
4 years of Parcells
Tyron 2011

Maybe we will have to wait until 2015? Anxious
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
plan9misfit


FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 20868
Location: RIP: B2TB, T14, & S.A. We miss you.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TVScout wrote:
Our O-line problems go back to Parcells who picked 6 and busted on everyone of them. Jerry, somehow, has hit home runs or at least base hits every 4 years on average.
Allen 1994
Flo 1998
Gurode 2002
4 years of Parcells
Tyron 2011

Maybe we will have to wait until 2015? Anxious


So in other words, 3 solid offensive lineman, none selected in the first round until Tyron Smith in 2011, make up for 16 years' worth of pathetic offensive lines? You do understand that 5 guys line up there and not just one, right? So, what does it say about his choices for the 4 other positions over the years?
_________________

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
flyingmonkey30


Moderator
Joined: 04 Mar 2007
Posts: 6682
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
TVScout wrote:
Our O-line problems go back to Parcells who picked 6 and busted on everyone of them. Jerry, somehow, has hit home runs or at least base hits every 4 years on average.
Allen 1994
Flo 1998
Gurode 2002
4 years of Parcells
Tyron 2011

Maybe we will have to wait until 2015? Anxious


So in other words, 3 solid offensive lineman, none selected in the first round until Tyron Smith in 2011, make up for 16 years' worth of pathetic offensive lines? You do understand that 5 guys line up there and not just one, right? So, what does it say about his choices for the 4 other positions over the years?


The O-line hasn't sucked for 16 years. The team has, maybe, but the line itself hasn't. Remember just a couple years ago when Leonard Davis, Andre Gurode, and Flozell Adams were actually good?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group