Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bounty Suspensions have been readminstered
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
reckless123

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hold on im confused. Didnt the judge/court overturn the suspensions? Which allowed the players to play?

"I'm not in the danger, I AM the DANGER" - Heisenberg
Keleth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reckless123 wrote:
Hold on im confused. Didnt the judge/court overturn the suspensions? Which allowed the players to play?

No although thats what many people wanted to believe.
The suspensions were suspended on a technicality and was left for Goodell to find under what category they fell.
This he has done now.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keleth wrote:
reckless123 wrote:

The suspensions were suspended on a technicality and was left for Goodell to find under what category they fell.
This he has done now.
To more define what happened, the league's arbitrator determined that the suspensions could fall outside of Goddell's jurisdiction b/c of he vague description of the reasons. The judge who was making a decision on whether to activate an injunction so that Vilma would remain eligible to play while the case was being heard, just rubber stamped this decision by the arbitrator. The suspensions were never really overturned. The players weren't found innocent or had their name cleared.

Now Goddell has rewritten the suspensions, clearly defined why they players were suspended and why the lengths of the suspensions. Players will appeal, their appeal will be denied, and Vilma will take it to court again. This time though Vilma's case may very well never get in front of a judge. Vilma's case last time wasn't innocence, it was that Goddell had overstepped his authority. Well that issue has been taken care of. Vilma has even less standing to sue than he had last time.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
SoCalNiner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keleth wrote:
reckless123 wrote:

This he has done now.

Yo Goodell. We heard you suspended those players, so we suspended your suspension, but then you suspended those suspended players right back.

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Babylon wrote:
Statements and letters from the NFL to the players involved:

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2012/10/nfl_releases_statement_on_ruli.html

The money quote:

Quote:
"The facts, however, conclusively undermine this characterization. For example, in a game between the Saints and the New York Giants in 2009, a Saints player earned a reward for a cart-off of Giants running back Brandon Jacobs, who left the game with a shoulder injury. After a 2010 game against the Carolina Panthers, the Saints defensive unit was commended for forcing '3 CART-OFFS! 1 already placed on I.R.!' In that game, three Carolina players were seriously injured: running backs Jonathan Stewart and Tyrell Sutton, who were literally carted off the field with a head/neck and ankle injury, respectively, and quarterback Matt Moore, who was later placed on injured reserve, unable to return for the remainder of the season, with a torn labrum. These all satisfied Coach Williams' definition of cart-offs: 'big hits that resulted in an opposing player leaving the game due to the hit (for example, having the "wind knocked out of him" or being shaken up or injured in some other way)....' He added that 'rewarding cart-offs and knockouts...could encourage players to injure opposing players [and] I now understand that someone could be seriously injured as a result....'

...yipes. Ready to hear the defense. Very Happy

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
RuskieTitan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you guys think Goodell overturns the suspensions during the appeal?

^^ryknowssd^^
Supporter of the Death Penalty in CFB
FF Hunger Games I Winner

titans0021 wrote:
Official Order
1.Michael Griffin

#JDI
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
Babylon wrote:
Statements and letters from the NFL to the players involved:

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2012/10/nfl_releases_statement_on_ruli.html

The money quote:

Quote:
"The facts, however, conclusively undermine this characterization. For example, in a game between the Saints and the New York Giants in 2009, a Saints player earned a reward for a cart-off of Giants running back Brandon Jacobs, who left the game with a shoulder injury. After a 2010 game against the Carolina Panthers, the Saints defensive unit was commended for forcing '3 CART-OFFS! 1 already placed on I.R.!' In that game, three Carolina players were seriously injured: running backs Jonathan Stewart and Tyrell Sutton, who were literally carted off the field with a head/neck and ankle injury, respectively, and quarterback Matt Moore, who was later placed on injured reserve, unable to return for the remainder of the season, with a torn labrum. These all satisfied Coach Williams' definition of cart-offs: 'big hits that resulted in an opposing player leaving the game due to the hit (for example, having the "wind knocked out of him" or being shaken up or injured in some other way)....' He added that 'rewarding cart-offs and knockouts...could encourage players to injure opposing players [and] I now understand that someone could be seriously injured as a result....'

...yipes. Ready to hear the defense. Very Happy
This is just further proof that we have not seen all the evidence the NFL has. No where in any of the documentation released by the NFLPA does it even make mention of that Panthers game. The NFL wouldn't just throw one of its premier franchises and coaches under the bus. There is a mountain of evidence that we haven't seen that if we did would probably leave absolutely no doubt as to how guilty the Saints are.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iknowcool wrote:
spilltray wrote:
Babylon wrote:
To update what this means:

Hargrove wasn't signed by anyone, so his suspension if being effectively served right now. He could be signed tomorrow and only have to serve the remaining two games.

Fujita is suspended for a game once his appeal is denied, same with Smith but for four games.

Vilma is also serving his through his time on the PUP, but oddly will keep his game checks (weird)? So his suspension will be short as well when he finally does bite it.

Incorrect on Hargrove. The suspensions were revoked. He doesn't get credit for "serving" his suspension until starting now. Weeks 1-5 don't count.

I could be wrong but I thought your suspensions didn't come into effect until you were actually signed to a team. At least that was the case with Hollis Thomas and Javon Walker.

That is correct, and the reason is because Hargrove is not technically employed since he isn't currently under contract with a team. He cannot serve an NFL suspension if he is not contractually eligible to play in a game.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketchup wrote:
Now Vilma and crew will go back to the courts to try and get the suspensions null and voided. Just a big bunch of garbage that needs to be over with. Tired of hearing about it to be honest.

The season will likely be over before it even gets to court, though.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
prorb

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenney wrote:
Good. It shouldn't have been overturned in the first place.

The league’s statement about the bounty case, and the reduction of Fujita’s suspension, suggests that the NFL doesn’t think it has strong evidence that Fujita was an active participant in the bounty program.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/10/fujita-goodell-is-the-one-committing-conduct-detrimental-to-the-nfl/
bluesfreak74

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fujita blasts Goodell.

Goodell says Fujita never participated in a bounty or anything but still suspends him? This guy is a weasel.

Fujita is right on the money how bad of a hypocrite Goodell is on player safety when in reality, all the player safety BS he spews out is all a PR stunt. It's amazing how much people defend this guy.

El Ramster on this beaut!
bluesfreak74

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Goodell and the NFL are making up lies now? SHOCKER. Jimmy Kennedy vents about this whole "bounty program" on twitter. His twitter handle is: @Kennedy73

Quote:
It's really starting to bother me. How can the NFL continue to say I told them about Bounty & they interviewed me? THIS DID NOT HAPPEN!

Quote:
A memo sent to ALL 32 Teams, Stating I Snitched & said something about N.O bounty program. How can I do that as a VIKING?

Quote:
This Sucks! I NEVER interviewed with anyone from #NFL, No NFL Security, Not Goodell, NO ONE!

Quote:
My Integrity & Character means the world to me. I respect this game & my fellow players. I have always been a loyal Friend & Teammate.

Quote:
It bothers me that the respect of my Peers & Coaches is in Jeopardy because of this. So for the last time, I NEVER INTERVIEWED WITH THE NFL!

Quote:
I NEVER TOLD ANYONE ABOUT A BOUNTY PROGRAM THAT I DIDNT/WOULDNT KNOW OF. I NEVER TALKED TO HARGROVE OR ANY SAINTS PLAYER ABOUT THE PROGRAM

Quote:
HOW WOULD I KNOW IF SUCH A PROGRAM EXIST? I was a Viking at the time.

*waits for people to defend Goodell & the NFL*

El Ramster on this beaut!
thestonedkoala

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't the Vikings bring up this issue in the first place?

Furthermore with Fujita, that's his own damn fault. He was captain of the team and did nothing.
HighHopes

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ehh most of those quotes are fairly sketchy imo. Not saying that he is lying, but fighting words with other words gets no where.
Keleth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluesfreak74 wrote:

Quote:
My Integrity & Character means the world to me. I respect this game & my fellow players. I have always been a loyal Friend & Teammate.

Quote:
It bothers me that the respect of my Peers & Coaches is in Jeopardy because of this. So for the last time, I NEVER INTERVIEWED WITH THE NFL!

But using PEDs doesn't lower your integrity ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: