Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The 2013 reload
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tytalton

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:43 pm    Post subject: The 2013 reload Reply with quote

To help me get over hearing about 1-3 how about we begin a FA thread for 2013?

I think we are going to let Avril walk - which in hind site we ought to have done this past offseason imho. Who is a suitable replacement? LoJack and Young are the in-house candidates but is anyone else out there?? One guy I can see getting squeezed out is Connor Barwin in Houston - he is a local guy who might do well in the wide 9...

On the OL it is always slim pickins - not quite as bad as DB's but we could use an upgrade at two positions. I don't think Gosder is going to come back but even if he does I think we will probably need someone to come in and replace Peterman. Raiola could be let go too...Max Unger could play G or C for us but he might be tough to get from SEA. At best I think we could sign a second tier Tackle like Sam Baker or Beatty. I don't think we have a shot at Long or Clady in the FA market but either would be a welcome relief...

At RB I think a second tier RB would be reasonable as well. I am writing off Best and am still baffled by his decision to put his long term health at risk. I can't see Smith resigning after losing the starting spot again. Javon Ringer has been good when he stepped in for CJ and I'd love to see him come in and take over as the #2. But he has upside and with ML's injury he has a shot at starting should something happen. I don't know about Ringer's receiving skills but we need someone to be a run/pass threat out of the backfield.

In the Defensive backfield we need to sign a difference maker FA especially Safety. William Moore from Atl is an early favorite that hits and covers. I think he is stronger against the run but that works for me regardless. Kenny Phillips and Jairus Byrd are two other big names. Phillips is another run stopping safety but I think he is a tier below Moore.

At CB we have young prospects but thats it. I want Houston back and would like some continuity back there but anything is probably an improvement. Mike Jenkins is the biggest name but I think he isn't much better than some of the other guys out there. Slim pickings here as well....

I'd like to see us bring in a TE to improve the depth and provide some competition. I'm interested to see how Mayhew handles Pettigrew's regression. I seriously doubt he cuts him or does anything like that but I could see a second tier guy come in to replace Heller. Not many guys that can match Grew in athletic ability but there are probably some players out there that have better hands and can block equally well.
tytalton

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that title should be 2013 reload....oops!
cibowilson

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2013 is going to be loaded with Free Agents, especially at positions we need.
Here are just a few:

LT:
Jake Long
Ryan Clady

OG:
Andy Levitre
Chad Rinehart
Kraig Urbik (RFA)

RB:
Reshard Mendenhall

CB:
Leodis McKelvin
Brent Grimes
Mike Jenkins
Nnamdi Asomugha (under contract possible cut. Due $15 million 2013)
Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie
Quentin Jammer
Chris Houston
Antoine Cason
Tracy Porter
Aqib Talib
Derek Cox
Kyle Arrington

S:
Jairus Byrd
Louis Delmas
William Moore
Pat Chung
Kenny Phillips

DE:
Dwight Freeney
Cliff Avril

I think a big 2013 offseason is in our future. I have thought all along that that is going to be our year. But we have to sign some big name (and young) free agents. Plus we need a big time draft that addresses needs with starters. We need some impact players.
JSMcTilty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRC please, along with re-signing Houston and Delmas (depending on how he holds up the rest of the year). Let Avril walk unless he comes way down on his demands.

One of those OTs would be nice too, but I think the price may be too steep for us.

This is a deep safety draft class, so get a starter next to Delmas in one of the first 3 rounds. We also need a real lights out DE too (Alex Okafor anyone?).
tytalton

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't realize DRC was going to be a FA - I just got a bit happier here...

this coming FA market certainly does seem suited to our needs. Along with a mid/hig-ish draft pick and another year of experience for our young guys we could be back in the mix.
Bleedin_Green36

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I highly doubt we let DRC walk.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah we'll franchise tag DRC if we don't resign him beforehand

RainbowCarebear wrote:
And use the boners for soup to survive through the winter

Bird Watch: Keelan Johnson - one magnificent tackle
skatebeanz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. We can nab Byrd and Jake Long. Laughing

Sig bet
ahoda

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know what our cap situation is like if we don't resign anyone that is scheduled to hit FA?
Lionsfanforever

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way Miami will let Jake Long walk.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quickly some of the higher price upcoming FA's i noticed on the team are - Durant was signed for about 3 mil with bonuses in 2013, Gosder was a 2.9 cap hit, hansen is another 3 mil cap hit. Avril obviously is a 10 mil franchise tag. All of the other players listed were at or under around 1.3 to 1.5 mil or under 1 mil in most cases.
detroitroar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh god. This team has come a long way from having to discuss this stuff this early. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and how they want to spend their time on here, but the timing of this thread honestly agitates me.

X_Factor_40

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detroitroar wrote:
Oh god. This team has come a long way from having to discuss this stuff this early. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and how they want to spend their time on here, but the timing of this thread honestly agitates me.

We get threads like this every year without fail. After a few weeks people start putting up mocks super early and trying to evaluate how they would improve the team. Expect to see a lot more of them.
JSMcTilty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detroitroar wrote:

It's a long two weeks with the bye. Might as well talk about it now when not much else is going on.
JSMcTilty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detroitroar wrote:

It's a long two weeks with the bye. Might as well talk about it now when not much else is going on.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: