Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Defensive numbers...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArrowheadRage58

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Defensive numbers... Reply with quote

Some numbers for the D over the last 3 games:

879 yards (293/game) none over 300
63 points (21/game)
11 sacks
3 INT
11/36 on 3rd down (30%)
7 total drives over 50 yards
13 scoring drives against us (7 FG's, 6 TD's (40 yards/per TD drive)
13 turnovers by our offense

In contrast, the top 2 D's in the league:
SF-5 Turnovers by offense, 13 scores against D
Hou-3 Turnovers by offense, 13 scores against D

Generally, even the best D's are going to give up far more scores than their offense will have turnovers. KC has been giving up only 1 score per offensive turnover and each TD drive against us only averages 40 yards. Read: if we can find a way to hold onto the ball, it seems we are capable of some shutdown games. Obviously, team strategies and other variables change depending on the score and what not, so maybe they have some more success at times if we weren't turning the ball over...but the Ravens and Saints are two great offenses that were needing points and were mostly stymied outside of the gifts we gave them.

I so badly want this D to live up to it's hype...there are some good signs, how close are we? Is it now simply a matter of stopping the turnovers? Will we take that next step when Berry becomes a difference maker again? When will we go two games in a row without allowing an opening game TD?

People just seem to be mad because the chiefs are all of a sudden doing what their fans thought they were capable of
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AR58,
Good post. I would add to that - we not only need to limit turnovers but also have to finish drives. We seem to move the ball well here and there but end up bogging down far too often before we can get in the red zone. And I think more teams will start to focus on completely selling out to stop the run and make Cassel/Quinn/Stanzi/whomever beat them. If I were a DC that would be my easy focus. Most teams struggle converting 3rd and long - we are completely undone at that point more often than not.

Edit : Also, our pass rush seems very predictable - limited to Houston and to a much lesser extent Hali. Houston has shown the ability to beat blocking and get to the quarterback while Hali seems to rely more on hussle. His pressure seems more related to coverage and quite often it seems like he takes himself out of the play by going wide around the pocket.

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.

Last edited by nicfre2011 on Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
bigschmadt00

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this part of the reason for Romeo's uber-conservative approach? I imagine he's aware of how our defense is not giving up any more points then the best D's, and is playing with a short field quite a bit.

^ryknowssd on the sig
onejayhawk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See sig.

J

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outside of that Bills game (and the Falcons game, but only because we were missing so many defensive players), I have found the defense to be anything between good and stellar. We have played Brees, Rivers, Ryan and Flacco and look, we are 10th in passing defense in the league.

Look at Brees, Rivers and Flacco stats playing against us and compare it with their other games this season. If the Chiefs offense would have managed to cut down their turnovers in half, which is nothing special, this team would have won at least 3 games by now IMO.

I still think at the end of the year, this D will be considered borderline top 5.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: