Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How long until we are back into contention?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  

When will the Jets be back in the playoffs?
26%
 26%  [ 13 ]
36%
 36%  [ 18 ]
20%
 20%  [ 10 ]
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
2017+
14%
 14%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 49

Gtek06

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: How long until we are back into contention? Reply with quote

A good draft this year, brining a young foundation. But my question is when will we see the jets back into the playoffs? Did we do enough this year? Will it be the year after with another good draft and offseason?
I think we will be around 5-11 to 7-9 next year, then adding a strong WR like Marquise Lee in the draft, and having a good free agency period I think '14 will be the year we get back into the playoffs.

Thanks to Jamison. on the sig.
quietjetsket

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jets can reach the playoff this year.
green24

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we'll be serious Wild Card contenders in 2014. Legit contenders in 2015.
rickyt31

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the next draft is going to be the draft that will get us over the hump. We added talent within the trenches, but here comes the challenge of finding talent for a young QB to build around. Where Tann failed at with Sanchez. Idzik seem to be on the right path and at this rate, I think we will be a wildcard team in 2014.

A lot is riding on MM & Geno. Idzik did a great job of putting a lot of potential around the QB position. Ivory, Goodson, Powell, Holmes, Hill, Kerley, and a oline with depth. Hill or Ivory might pan out to be a home run hit. Who knows at the moment.

Ivory, Hill (If he develop), 2014 WR draft pick, Kerley, 2014 draft TE pick is probably what we are on track for. I'm not sure how long Idzik will keep holmes.

Quote:
It's not about the money, it's about sending a message. - The Joker
GangGreen420

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2014 we can get there. We need to focus on OFFENSE. This next offseason we need to throw some money at a major FA weapon (Jimmy Graham? Though Marty probably wont go that route) or get one in the draft. I don't want Rexs whole "we dont need offensive skill players GROUND AND POUND BABY" ideology anywhere near this team. It ruined Sanchez and could potentially ruin Geno. Just let Marty do his thing and give him the players he needs.
jimbo1904

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2013- bottom 5
2014 wild card team
2015 legit contenders

Reason, it will take a year for people to get Marty's system down. I think Goodson and Ivy can be legit RB's in MW's system.
mikejets22

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think people are forgetting just how good this defense can be.
A strong/dominant d-line can make up for potential discrepancies elsewhere. Linebackers and safeties don't have to be elite if you have great d-line and corners. That's what we're looking at on defense.

Offensively, I think MM picks us up a LOT. Not saying we're a top-whatever scoring offense, but I certainly think we will be much improved with the addition and Ivory and bolstering that oline. We will be able to run the ball enough to take Sanchez (or whomever) out of the position where we must throw the ball so much and thereby will reduce turnovers (we were something like 1st or 2nd in TOs last year, in large part to INTs and fumbles by 6).

For the first time since 09-10 our O-line has potential improved and now we have 2 explosive athletes to run the rock. Yes, it is a pass happy league, but we all saw how effective running the ball can be to minimize the possessions Brady or whoever can get.

I look for us to be competitive this year. A WR corps of Holmes, Edwards/Hill, Kerley really isn't AWFUL when you can run the ball and work off play action.

Like they say, no games are won in the offseason but I think we have made solid moves that will allow Rex to focus on D and MM to have a competent offense to work with.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until we see what they really have at QB, it's tough to give an answer here.

They should be a .500 team with average QB play and if they don't lose their best offensvie and defensive players like they did last season. If a QB steps up and is above average, they can fight for a playoff spot this year. If Geno shows ability to be a legit NFL QB, they should be fighting for the division in 2014.

If no QB on the roster shows anything at all this year, who knows when they'll be contenders.

- Cliff Burton
jets21rhodes

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raoul Duke wrote:
Until we see what they really have at QB, it's tough to give an answer here.

They should be a .500 team with average QB play and if they don't lose their best offensvie and defensive players like they did last season. If a QB steps up and is above average, they can fight for a playoff spot this year. If Geno shows ability to be a legit NFL QB, they should be fighting for the division in 2014.

If no QB on the roster shows anything at all this year, who knows when they'll be contenders.

It truly is forgotten I feel that people forget we lost our best players on both sides of the ball. It's hard for any team to recover from that, i'm surprised that we actually still won some ball games after that (let's not forget, we were still in contention up until the Titans game).

I feel that this year will be tough at times, but this is going to be a year of positive growth. I feel this team has more potential than last years team. Yes, losing Revis is huge, also losing Landry is a bane, but I think this is a year to see what we have.

Every position is on notice, we have young potential (guys 25 and under) scattered all over the field look:

QB: Smith and McElroy (I feel he may surprise us in this offense)
RB: Ivory and Goodson and Powell (granted I feel Powell lost his chance)
WR: Hill, Kerley and White
TE: This is a hole, a guy can dream about Hayden Smith can't he!
OL: Winters
DL: Wilkshake, Coples, Richardson, Ellis
LB: Davis
CB: Milliner and Wilson (still going to play a big role in that slot role)
S: Bush (I think he's going to surprise a lot of us)

Yes, this is a really positive outlook thinking all these guys will pan out, but still, the talent can be there. This is your new crop of Mangold, Ferguson, Harris and Revis. There are some ballers on this list, we just need them to live up to they hype.

I'm saying with a growth year this year, we make the playoffs in 2014, with Rex at the helm as well. Brighter days are ahead men, it's amazing how getting rid of Tebow has given me such a more positive view on this team!
Abe56

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next year. Hopefully Geno is the real deal, another good draft and 50 million in cap space could equal some trouble.

16 Tackles, 3 Sacks, 6 QB Hits, 2 Stuffs, 2 PD

Jets, Knicks, Athletics, Buckeyes
KingOfTheHill84

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abe56 wrote:
Next year. Hopefully Geno is the real deal, another good draft and 50 million in cap space could equal some trouble.

12 picks and a ton of cap space to make some small moves because I hate to rely on free agency(thats how we get into cap trouble)

[quote="Ring Worm Sherm"]Revis hasn't done jack since 09[/quote]Fly-A-Jet 2013 Jeremy Kerley
Rec:5 Yards:70 TDs:0 PR Average:7 ypa
Rockice_8

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
I think we'll be serious Wild Card contenders in 2014. Legit contenders in 2015.

Yeah I voted 2014 because I think we can sneak into the playoffs which I think makes us contenders at least kind of. As far as legit contenders I think 2015 is more realistic.

Props to Mack on the sig
ekill08x

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has to be a developmental year. Rex will do everything he can do win and I love that, but we just don't have the play makers to constantly win or to blow teams out. Well play good defense, but its difficult if there on the field for 40mins a game. Im praying that picking up offensive lineman in this draft and adding Ivory and Goodsen will spark a resurgence in our running game. IF we can run the football and stop the run at a high level, well always have a chance. It just comes down to consistency.

Props to JMG on the sig as usual
jg6041

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imagine we sneak into the playoffs at 9-7 then somehow make it to the AFC Championship with a rookie QB?
Oh wait we did that four years ago. Rolling Eyes
Anything can happen. It is more of how the rest of the AFC turns itself around.
Cinn. Denver, NE, all look solid.
Balt. may take a step back.
Pitts. got younger.
Miami made some big moves.
So while it is not impossible to turn a franchise around quickly everything needs to fall into place just right,

Was it Colin Kaepernick?
Colt45fool

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Rex is here next year, we'll be in the wild card in 2014. I'm 100% positive of that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: