Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Mock Offseason v.2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2Bigby0

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Mock Offseason v.2 Reply with quote

Dom Capers retained as Defensive Coordinator as the Green Bay Packers. He's one of the best defensive coaches in all of football and will be coaching defense for years to come in Green Bay.

Restructured Contracts
-DE Ryan Pickett

Released/Not Retained
-Cedric Benson
-Charles Woodson
-Donald Driver
-Greg Jennings
-Jarrett Boykin
-Tom Crabtree
-Robert Francois
-Ryan Grant
-John Kuhn

Resigned/Extended
-Clay Matthews agrees to extension
-BJ Raji agrees to extension
-Sam Shields resigns
-Brad Jones resigns
-EDS resigns

Free Agency
-Patrick Chung is brought in. He's had an up and down start to his career with New England, however he's brought in to compete for the vacant Safety position. Chung is a physical player and also figures to be a big part of the Packers special teams units. He is brought in a average starting safety money, however the job will not be 'given' to him as he will have to beat out Jennings and McMillian for the starting job.

PACKERS AWARDED 4TH AND 7TH ROUND COMPENSATORY PICKS

2013 NFL DRAFT

Round 1 - Ziggy Ansah DE/OLB BYU
This pick does not change how the Packers feel about Nick Perry. But the depth at OLB is a major concern. Walden is gone and was horrible, Moses is young and developing but you cannot depend on him to be a contributor. Clay Matthews has difficulty playing a full season and we still have yet to see what Perry can actually do. Not to mention, he's the best player on the board at our Pick. Ansah provides Capers with some options at linebacker, giving the defense plenty of flexibility on getting pass rushers on the field in obvious passing situations and also getting a bit more athletic for the zone read teams as well. The Packers could potentially have Perry/Matthews/Ansah on the field at the same time in a number of their personnel groups.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMtBmOdYsqo

Round 2 - Margus Hunt DE SMU
Hunts length is what really jumps at you. The Packers are certainly looking to get more dynamic along the defensive line. Mike Neal is certainly getting better, however since the departure of Cullen Jenkins the Pack has really lacked the consistent presence it needs. Margus is certainly going to be a bit of a 'project' type player as his experience playing the game is very limited. However, that doesn't mean he can't have an immediate impact on the field. Trgovac will get right on this project and Hunt has the potential to be a superstar in the NFL.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgNUN-Sqj_Y

Round 3 - Christine Michael RB Texas A&M
Michael was highly rated out of High School and for whatever reason never reached his full potential in college. He was definitely in Sumlin's doghouse, but that doesn't negate the fact that he's a talented player that is going to be a productive player in the NFL. His game is very similar to Trent Richardson's and a backfield mix of Harris and Michael would be a dangerous asset to the Packers. Michael instantly adds competition and stability to the RB position.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCVqxFeWFoU

Round 4 (A) - Quinton Patton WR Louisiana Tech
Patton is capable of running all the routes. He's the perfect 'mold' at WR for what the Packers like to do. Patton will likely get opportunities in the spread formations but wouldn't be counted on unless there was a significant injury. Patton is a playmaking force and they need to add depth at WR with the departures of Greg Jennings and Donald Driver.

Round 4 (B) - Travis Frederick G/C Wisconsin
The Packers are in need of interior help. Frederick likely projects to a guard in the NFL with his size, however his experience at C give the Packers some flexibility. It's the type of flexibility they like to have along the offensive line. Frederick is incredibly bright, strong and athletic. He's definitely the type of player that would benefit our offensive line in the long term.

Round 5 - Kwame Geathers NT Georgia
The Packers need some more big bodies, and some young ones at that. There is some concern about the status of Jerel Worthy, Ryan Pickett is aging and BJ Raji plays incredibly too many snaps. The Packers pick up a rare find in the 5th. Geathers is going to help in the run game and be the big body replacement for Pickett.

Round 6 - Jasper Collins WR Mount Union
Two receivers out, two receivers in... The way the Packers play offense isn't going to change much. They've been highly successful at it and they need another WR to shape out the roster. Collins was extremely productive at college and will come in and compete for reps with Patton. Collins also figures to have an immediate role in special teams.

Round 7 (A) - Collin Klein QB Kansas State
The Packers like to have a project player at QB. Klein flips the bill on that. But there is an underlying factor here as well. Klein not only has the physical skills to possibly be a WR, but he can also provide the Packers defense looks on the PS with the zone read.

Round 7 (B) - Tyrann Mathieu LSU
The Packers take a 'flyer' on the Honey Badger. We'll see if he can change his life in Green Bay. This is simply a low risk/high reward situation for the Packers. Mathieu has potential as a slot CB, returner, and core special teams guy. The Packers see his potential.

2013 Depth Chart

QB - Rodgers/Harrell/Coleman/Klein
RB - Harris/Michael/Starks/Green
WR - Nelson/Jones/Cobb/Patton/Collins/Ross
TE - Finley/Williams/Quarless/Taylor
LT - Newhouse/Sherrod
LG - Lang/Frederick/Van Roten
C - EDS/Frederick
RG - Sitton/Frederick/Van Roten
RT - Bulaga/Barclay

DE - Pickett/Neal/Hunt
DE - Wilson/Worthy/Daniels
NT - Raji/Geathers/Pickett
OLB - Matthews/Ansah/Moses/Jones
MLB - Bishop/Hawk/Smith/Jones/Manning
OLB - Perry/Ansah/Moses/Jones
CB - Williams/Shields/Hayward/House/Mathieu/Bush
S - Burnett/McMillain/Jennings
S - Chung/McMillian/Jennings

Thoughs and Feedback greatly appreciated![/b]
CallMeBarrett

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You had me until the Honey Badger.

He can't tackle.

He can't cover.

His hips are terrible in coverage.

He can return punts, but has a tendency to run backwards.

We already... uh... have those problems.
RiotPunch

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ansah AND Hunt? No thank you. Hunt is a bad football player with freak athletic ability and is 26 years old.

Ansah figures to be more of an end than backer in our scheme as well. Love that pick though, he's damn close to #1 on my Packers board.

Love the Christine Michael pick, he's a favorite of mine.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's one of the best defensive coaches in all of football.

TOO SOON
packattack86

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would they release Boykin when Jennings and Driver are gone? He showed some promise as a UDFA and they would need WR depth.

I like Ansah but I feel like spending a 1st on another OLB is a waste, we have Matthews and Perry, and Moses will get better. We can find depth guys later in the draft IMO. I like Ansah's upside though.

Hunt would be a nice pick in the 2nd if he's there.

Michael could be a nice RB addition to pair w/ Harris.

Frederick would ge great value if he falls that far and Geathers is a massive man that can play NT for Pickett.

I say no to the honey badger, patrick chung, and Colin Klein.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I don't see why we'd need Collin Klein, we have BJ Coleman and if we do draft a QB, it'd certainly be Jordan Rodgers, not Collin Klein.

Other than that, I like the mock outside of the last two picks and Quinton Patton. I think Patton's an overrated prospect to be honest with you; dude's slow and we've already got a receiver like him in Jarrett Boykin. Margus Hunt would be a great addition to our D-line. Ansah might be quick and athletic enough to step back and rush from the outside. Christine Michael would be a great replacement for Benson. Collins might shoot up the boards from what I read of him. Geathers would be a strong pick for the reasons you listed. He kinda gets forgotten about because John Jenkins is next to him, hopefully he's not ranked as a 5th rounder because Jenkins was next to him.
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunt no, don't have good enough starters to leave him on the bench to develop. Klein NO, can't throw. Tyrannosaurus Matthieu just NO.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: