Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What if you guys get the #1 overall pick?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NickZambo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my $0.02

I am assuming when Haslam takes over, he will bring in Joe Banner. That will most likely signal the end for Holmgren and Shurmur... HOWEVER, if the new ownership decides to keep Heckert, I could see the team retaining Weeden since he and Heckert are tied together. And as long as Weeden continues to make decent throws and puts up decent #s this year, I think trading down and stockpiling picks is a no brainer...

Let's be honest, there are a few holes on this team. I would rather us get a few more 1st rounders... Imagine picking twice in the 1st round for the next 3 years or so. As of now, we have one of the youngest teams in the NFL, with 5th, 7th round & UDFA rookies starting. When they go down or get hurt, it's pretty obvious that we dont have depth behind those guys ready to contribute. So I see us continuing to struggle this year with mediocre coaching and ailing "vets"...

IMO, keep Weeden, he has shown progress. Stockpiling future early round picks is a wet dream for an incoming front office (see Jeff Fisher & the St. Louis Rams) and signals both win now and long term solidarity... it just takes patience which is not very easy to accomplish with this fan-base...

Skipping over bruceb's posts since 2012

Last edited by NickZambo on Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
cattleman78

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickZambo wrote:
Just my $0.02

I am assuming when Haslam takes over, he will bring in Joe Banner. That will most likely signal the end for Holmgren and Shurmur... HOWEVER, if the new ownership decides to keep Heckert, I could see the team retaining Weeden since he and Heckert are tied together. And as long as Weeden continues to make decent throws and puts up decent #s this year, I think trading down and stockpiling picks is a no brainer...

Let's be honest, there are a few holes on this team. I would rather us get a few more 1st rounders... Imagine picking twice in the 1st round for the next 3 years or so. As of now, we have one of the youngest teams in the NFL, with 5th, 7th round & UDFA rookies starting. When they go down or get hurt, it's pretty obvious that we dont have depth behind those guys ready to contribute. So I see us continuing to struggle this year with mediocre coaching and ailing "vets"...

Keep Weeden, he has shown progress. Stockpiling future early round picks is a wet dream for an incomming front office (see Jeff Fisher & the St. Louis Rams) and signals both win now and long term solidarity IMO...

Also if we get future number one picks and Weeden bombs we got the ammo to trade up if need be.

Adopted Brown Tashaun Gipson safety
vs. g.bay 7 tackles,2 asst. tackles and 1 pass defended
Drew_Carey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point, Im taking Geno Smith.
NickZambo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cattleman78 wrote:
NickZambo wrote:
Just my $0.02

Keep Weeden, he has shown progress. Stockpiling future early round picks is a wet dream for an incomming front office (see Jeff Fisher & the St. Louis Rams) and signals both win now and long term solidarity IMO...

Also if we get future number one picks and Weeden bombs we got the ammo to trade up if need be.

Very true, it allows us flexability to trade those picks right back in future years IF Weeden doesnt cut it. It's early so early in his career, but after 5 games I am seeing more talent at the QB position than I have since the Browns came back in '99 (and I'm not knocking Timmy Couch).

smh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xXxHOUSEDxXx wrote:
So you guys would rather keep Weeden and trade the #1 pick? You guys wouldn't want Geno for yourselves? See, that's what was so interesting about this scenario to me is that I thought for sure you guys would much rather have a younger and probably better QB as your franchise QB than Weeden.

Nope. I would take Geno Smith.
candyman93

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll say it

Chip Kelly and Geno Smith

I guarantee this will be said numerous times.

You've been here 7 and still haven't picked a team.
NickZambo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

candyman93 wrote:
I'll say it

Laughing Laughing Laughing

candyman93

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickZambo wrote:
candyman93 wrote:
I'll say it

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Tampa Bay tried to hire him

bulldog

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I trade down.
Dawgpoun8017

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Candy knows that I said this a few weeks ago but I do think Chip Kelly is genius enough when it comes to offense to transition to the NFL

TKL- 75, INT- 2, Sack- 1.5,PDF-7, TD-2

candyman93

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawgpoun8017 wrote:
Candy knows that I said this a few weeks ago but I do think Chip Kelly is genius enough when it comes to offense to transition to the NFL

Yup you're post is what inspired mine.

Dawgpoun8017

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

candyman93 wrote:
Dawgpoun8017 wrote:

Wouldnt it be nice to see an offense with that kind of tempo though

candyman93

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawgpoun8017 wrote:
candyman93 wrote:
Dawgpoun8017 wrote:

Just PMed Duck fans. The offense isn't the concern. The defense is. They rotate 20-25 guys a game. I don't think you can get away with that in the NFL.

Dawgpoun8017

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

candyman93 wrote:
Dawgpoun8017 wrote:
candyman93 wrote:
Dawgpoun8017 wrote:

Just PMed Duck fans. The offense isn't the concern. The defense is. They rotate 20-25 guys a game. I don't think you can get away with that in the NFL.

well maybe he can tailor it some

JCBrowns21

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reading "The GM" about former Giants (and Browns) GM Ernie Accorsi. It includes his full scouting report on Eli Manning that basically says draft him, trade up no matter what as these guys don't come along often.

I'd ask if Geno Smith is "that guy." I don't care that he's the top ranked QB. Will he be an elite NFL QB? Will he win Super Bowls. If the answer is yes, you draft him. If you don't think so, trade and stockpile picks.

For the record, I think Luck and RG3 fit the "that guy" bill and as much as I like what I see from Weeden, I see him as a top 10-15 NFL QB at best, but not hoisting the Lombardi trophy.

I haven't seen enough of Geno Smith to reach a conclusion on him yet. More importantly, I hope we're not in a position to have to answer this question.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: