Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What if you guys get the #1 overall pick?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xXxHOUSEDxXx

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: What if you guys get the #1 overall pick? Reply with quote

I've been having a discussion with a Browns fan via PM and I wanted to ask you all of you a hypothetical question: What does Cleveland do if they end up with the #1 pick in the draft this year?

I think this is such an interesting scenario because the Browns took Weeden in the first round last year, who is going to be 29 years old in less than a week. If they take Geno Smith, who looks pretty legit, what do they do with Weeden? In my opinion, Weeden has very little trade value and you certainly will get an awful return on your investment of a first round pick.

A team that's rebuilding would never trade a high pick for Weeden because he will be 30 years old next season and only has one year of experience under his belt. Due to his age and lack of experience he couldn't even be a stop-gap QB for a team that drafts a QB next year. And I can't imagine someone giving up a high draft pick to build their team around an unproven 30 year old QB.

On the other hand, a win-now team that may be lacking a QB wouldn't trade you a high pick for him because Weeden is still developing and isn't a win-now QB like Favre was for that Vikings team in 2009.

I'm very intrigued with this scenario due to Weeden's draft selection last year and his age. Would the Browns end up taking Smith and getting rid of Weeden for a 4th or 5th round draft pick? Or just letting Weeden start and have Smith sit for a year? I'm curious to see what you all think would end up happening.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This board will most than likely tell you draft Geno Smith.

A competent FO would trade the pick to a QB needy team like KC for a fortune of no less than what St. Louis took from Washington.

We would then take those picks and go crazy on the defense just like we did with the offense this year when we found our new starting RB, QB and RT as well as young WR and depth on the OL.

Jamison on the sig
big poppa pump

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KamTrus20 wrote:

A competent FO would trade the pick to a QB needy team like KC for a fortune of no less than what St. Louis took from Washington.

We would then take those picks and go crazy on the defense just like we did with the offense this year when we found our new starting RB, QB and RT as well as young WR and depth on the OL.

Amen to that brother

BIG UPS TO REG....DA MAN
sdrawkcab321

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trade the pick rg3 style. get 3 1s and a 2nd. that would get us our 2nd back that we spent on gordon. get the best WR and best CB on the board in the 2nd
FEARtheELF

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KamTrus20 wrote:

A competent FO will tell you there has to be a market for the top QB. Teams have to want to trade up. If they do not think we are interested in the QB, they will not trade up with us. Also, teams have to decide there is a huge gap between Smith and Barkley otherwise they may be okay with sitting back and taking the one who falls. You can not just get kings ransom like the Rams did last year.

stallyns wrote:
I don't remember much before Football's Future.
malibuspeedrace

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trade down to around 4-5 so someone else gets there QB.

Pickup the best DE / OLB / WR....whatever is BPA that coincides with a need.
braylonsHands

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KamTrus20 wrote:

I don't know if I agree with that. If we have a pick swap + a number 2 and 2 later 1st, yes that would be ideal, but you have to be realistic.... I doubt another team will do what Washington did. There is only one Redskins team..... and they just made the trade.

I guess the Raiders could try, but I doubt they will have the ammo....

Skipping over sleeper43 posts since 4/19/09
xXxHOUSEDxXx

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you guys would rather keep Weeden and trade the #1 pick? You guys wouldn't want Geno for yourselves? See, that's what was so interesting about this scenario to me is that I thought for sure you guys would much rather have a younger and probably better QB as your franchise QB than Weeden.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trade it within the top 10, get a couple starters and continue to improve.

XBL-theUrbanator69
Student @ smww.com
Twitter: @draft4mark
BgDawg

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I wrote in another thread, if we end up with the number 1 pick, it is likely that Weeden will not show much improvement towards the end of the season.

As much as I would like to be patient with Weeden (something we have not done with qb's in recent history), I also cannot ignore the age factor. Because he will be 29 at the end of the season, we at least need to be left with the confidence that he will be able to perform at a somewhat high level next season. If there are serious questions about his ability, then I think that we would have to consider Smith at 1 (assuming we have the top pick).
xXxHOUSEDxXx

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BgDawg wrote:
I also cannot ignore the age factor. Because he will be 29 at the end of the season

He will be 29 in one week (October 14th)

BgDawg wrote:
If there are serious questions about his ability, then I think that we would have to consider Smith at 1 (assuming we have the top pick).

And this leaves Weeden where? You can't trade him unless you want an awful return on investment.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on the scenario I would take Smith and I would start him early on and adjust the offense to his game. This is especially because if we are picking number one than that means Weeden does not improve at all. Even if he stops throwing INT's we will win some games. He is improving in other areas as well.

So IDK, if your at number 1 take Geno for sure. But say we are at 3 or 4? Do we take Barkley That's a tougher question I think. Either Weeden wins enough games to save his job or he doesn't.
BgDawg

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xXxHOUSEDxXx wrote:
BgDawg wrote:
I also cannot ignore the age factor. Because he will be 29 at the end of the season

He will be 29 in one week (October 14th)

BgDawg wrote:
If there are serious questions about his ability, then I think that we would have to consider Smith at 1 (assuming we have the top pick).

And this leaves Weeden where? You can't trade him unless you want an awful return on investment.

If this scenario played out, it would mean that we wasted the Weeden pick. However, I am tired of trading down and passing up elite talent.

Again, if we have the number 1 pick, I would assume Weeden did not show much improvement from here on out.

I feel as if I should expand on this thought more, but work beckons.
cattleman78

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's one good question without a good answer. First to get the number one pick will take three or less wins. Say Weeden plays a little better each week and we only win three games but the wins come in the last four games and Weeden plays lights out. Browns probably trade down.

If Weeden fails our new regime probably take a new q.b.

Teams that could be interested in trading up Chiefs, Jets, Raiders [they have no 2nd round pick], Bills and Jags.
Dark horses that could trade up Titans, Buccaners,Cardinals and Cowboys. Never count Jerry Jones out of anything. He could decide to move on from Romo.

Geno Smith is creating a buzz just like R.G. III. Can he keep it up? If he does he could be worth a boatload. Might be hard for the Brown's to pass up even if Weeden gets better. Younger and can run.

Way to early to tell. Right now if you do a mock draft and either have us drafting Smith or trading down I can't fault you either way.

Adopted Brown Tashaun Gipson safety
vs. g.bay 7 tackles,2 asst. tackles and 1 pass defended
Estonianzulu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xXxHOUSEDxXx wrote:
So you guys would rather keep Weeden and trade the #1 pick? You guys wouldn't want Geno for yourselves? See, that's what was so interesting about this scenario to me is that I thought for sure you guys would much rather have a younger and probably better QB as your franchise QB than Weeden.

It'll depend on the season and how it plays out, and you're not going to get all of us to agree on anything.

If Weeden continues to make terrible mistakes or is sitting on the 33rd worst QB rating in the league, you'll see me on the Geno Smith bandwagon.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: