Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jake Knott, OLB, Iowa State

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Jake Knott, OLB, Iowa State Reply with quote

Jake Knott
Position : OLB
College : Iowa State Cyclones
Class : Senior
Height : 6'-3"
Weight : 252 lbs.
40 yard dash : 4.66 (estimated)

2012 Statistics (through 5 games)
Solo tackles : 32
Assisted tackles : 12
Total tackles : 44
Tackles for loss : 3.5
Tackles for loss yardage : 9
Interceptions : 2
Interception return yardage : 34
Passes broken up : 3
Quarterback hurries : 2
Forced fumbles : 1

2011 Season (13 games)
Solo tackles : 73
Assisted tackles : 41
Total tackles : 114
Tackles for loss : 4
Tackles for loss yardage : 5
Interceptions : 2
Passes broken up : 2
Quarterback hurries : 2
Forced fumbles : 3

2010 Statistics (12 games)
Solo tackles : 76
Assisted tackles : 54
Total tackles : 130
Tackles for loss : 6
Tackles for loss yardage : 15
Sacks : 1
Sack loss yardage : 6
Interceptions : 4
Interception return yardage : 26
Passes broken up : 5
Quarterback hurries : 1
Forced fumbles : 4

2009 Statistics (13 games)
Solo tackles : 18
Assisted tackles : 5
Total tackles : 23
Tackles for loss : 2
Tackles for loss yardage : 7
Passes broken up : 1

Jake Knott Iowa State Cyclones Official Bio

Quote:
Overview

Since he became a starter at weak-side linebacker as a sophomore, Knott has been the heart and soul of the Cyclones' defense, averaging 10 tackles per game as a starter.

An Iowa-native, he didn't receive many scholarship offers as a recruit, but attended high school an hour's drive away from Iowa State's campus and committed to the Cyclones the moment he was offered. Knott practiced as a fullback and linebacker as a true freshman, seeing most of his time on special teams with 23 tackles.

He became a starter in 2010 as a sophomore and emerged as the star of the defense, recording a team-best 130 tackles with 6.0 tackles for loss, 1.0 sack, four forced fumbles and four interceptions. Knott earned First Team All-Big 12 honors as a junior last season, finishing second on the team with 115 tackles, 4.0 tackles for loss, four forced fumbles and a pair of interceptions.

Analysis

Knott is a smart, assignment-sound football player who uses his eyes effectively to break down the action and react quickly. Knott lacks elite quick-twitch athleticism, but he rarely takes false steps and takes advantage of his heady awareness to put himself in position to make plays. Entering the 2012 season, Knott projects as a mid-to-later round draft pick, but Knott is the type of player who constantly exceeds expectations.

--Dane Brugler

10/07/12 - LB Jake Knott recorded a season-high 13 tackles against TCU, and in the process became the hlayer in ISU history to pile up 300 career tackles.

09/11/12 - BIG 12: PLAYERS WHOSE NFL DRAFT STOCK IS RISING - WEEK 2: LB Jake Knott, Iowa State: The play Knott made to seal Iowa State's 9-6 win at Iowa on Saturday (see video below) showed off the type of athleticism that will earn him a spot playing on Sundays. If the Big 12 defensive player of the week doesn't make it to the NFL, he should always have a job in Ames. "Jake Knott made that kind of play in a series that will have him go down in history," coach Paul Rhoads told the Ames Tribune. Knott and fellow linebacker A.J. Klein have helped the Cyclones open the season 2-0 despite the fact that they've been underdogs in both games. Knott notched six tackles against Iowa to go along with his interception. - C.J. Moore, CBSSports.com

09/10/12 - WEEK 2 BIG 12 DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK: Jake Knott, Iowa State, LB, Sr, Waukee, Iowa...Jake Knott anchored the Iowa State defense in a 9-6 win at intrastate rival Iowa. His interception of a Hawkeye pass with 1:11 left iced the victory. Knott finished the game with six tackles as the Cyclones held Iowa to 68 yards rushing on 28 attempts. - Big-12 football

09/08/12 - The Iowa Hawkeyes didn't let Steele Jantz beat them like he did a year ago. This time, it was the Cyclones' defense that took down the rival Hawkeyes. Steele Jantz threw for 241 yards and the game's only touchdown on Saturday and Iowa State beat Iowa 9-6 for its first win in Iowa City in 10 years. Jake Knott's interception with 1:11 left sealed the win for the Cyclones (2-0), whose defense held Iowa to just 304 yards of offense. Iowa State was held scoreless in the second half. But the Hawkeyes (1-1) could only muster a pair of short field goals in the lowest-scoring matchup between these in-state rivals in 24 years. James Vandenberg was 20 of 42 passing for 236 yards and two interceptions for Iowa. But after looking terrible all day, Iowa's offense sprung to life in the final two minutes. Fittingly, the game turned on its final mistake. Vandenberg drove Iowa from its own 11 to Iowa State's 32-yard line after throwing three straight incompletions. But he floated one over the middle and Knott tipped the ball and brought it in to give the Cyclones their first win in Iowa City since they beat the Hawkeyes 36-31 in 2002. - AP Sports

07/22/12 - 2012 PRESEASON ALL-BIG 12 FOOTBALL TEAM (MEDIA): LB Jake Knott, Iowa State, Sr/3L,...Knott earned first-team All-Big 12 honors after making 115 tackles last season. - Iowa State football

Jake Knott NFLDraftscout.com Profile

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen Knott and fellow Cyclone A.J. Klein mentioned here and there but I would really like to know more about Knott as an NFL prospect. Do you think he could proejct as a 3-4 ILB at the NFL level? How would you grade his instincts and athleticism? What round do you think he could end up going in?

CowboysTilIDie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like him alot. In fact, in my first Dallas mock, I had us taking him in the 5th round. He isn't the most athletic LB you'll come across but the guy is very instinctive and is always around the football. He makes a lot of plays - see the 8 interceptions and 8 FF in his career with more 7 games left to play. His size projects very well at ILB in a 3-4 and I think this is where he is best suited. I'd definitely want either him or Klein on my defense. Klein is the better prospect in my opinion, but Knott has a chance to develop into a solid starter within a couple of years IMO.

Huge props to LORK for the sig

Official Supporter of "The Process."
Its A Sabotage

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Him and A.J. Klein can play all 3 43 positions and ILB in the 34. Neither are athletic by any means, but both are sound technically, sure tacklers, and have high football IQ(s). I compare them to either a Chad Greenway or a Sean Lee.

#JDI
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CowboysTilIDie wrote:
I like him alot. In fact, in my first Dallas mock, I had us taking him in the 5th round. He isn't the most athletic LB you'll come across but the guy is very instinctive and is always around the football. He makes a lot of plays - see the 8 interceptions and 8 FF in his career with more 7 games left to play. His size projects very well at ILB in a 3-4 and I think this is where he is best suited. I'd definitely want either him or Klein on my defense. Klein is the better prospect in my opinion, but Knott has a chance to develop into a solid starter within a couple of years IMO.

Its A Sabotage wrote:
Him and A.J. Klein can play all 3 43 positions and ILB in the 34. Neither are athletic by any means, but both are sound technically, sure tacklers, and have high football IQ(s). I compare them to either a Chad Greenway or a Sean Lee.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I definitely appreciate the comments. Knott just seems like a baller plain and simple. Not flashy, but knows how to put himself into the right place at the right time to make a play on the ball. Where do you guys see his draft ceiling being - 3rd round? Or do you see him as more of a 4th to 5th round prospect?

Its A Sabotage

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knott in the top-40 Klein in the top-75.

#JDI
CowboysTilIDie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
CowboysTilIDie wrote:

Its A Sabotage wrote:

Thanks for the feedback guys, I definitely appreciate the comments. Knott just seems like a baller plain and simple. Not flashy, but knows how to put himself into the right place at the right time to make a play on the ball. Where do you guys see his draft ceiling being - 3rd round? Or do you see him as more of a 4th to 5th round prospect?

I personally see Klein as the better Pro Prospect. They are VERY similar players however so they could be interchangable. You could almost compare (at a lesser extent however) to Brian Cushing and Clay Matthews at USC. Obviously not as talented as those two guys but as far as comparing to each other, they are similar. Knott and Klein could both end up as 3rd round picks I think when all is said and done.

Huge props to LORK for the sig

Official Supporter of "The Process."
Jacobys Homey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Knott. Last year against Baylor he was the one guy they had that looked like the offense didn't phase him.

Did you feel the mountains tremble?

nicfre2011

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
10/29/12 - Iowa State senior linebacker Jake Knott is likely out for the season with a torn left shoulder. Cyclones coach Paul Rhoads says Knott, the reigning Big 12 defensive player of the week and a first-team All-Big 12 pick in 2011, had surgery Monday in Chicago. Rhoads says Knott might make it back for a potential bowl game. But the Cyclones won't know more until later in the week. Knott injured his shoulder on Oct. 20 against Oklahoma State, but he returned and had 11 tackles and forced a fumble in Iowa State's 35-21 win on Saturday over Baylor. Rhoads says Knott was a selfless team player whose leadership will be missed. - AP Sports
[url]
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=94502&draftyear=2013&genpos=OLB[/url]

KamTrus20

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is everyone saying he is not an athlete?

I have seen him do some really athletic things and he is no sloth.

I get the feeling if he were a little less pasty he wouldn't be considered unathletic.

I think he is a Top 50 player.

Jamison on the sig
Nobody

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KamTrus20 wrote:

I get the feeling if he were a little less pasty he wouldn't be considered unathletic.
Careful, lets not make this about skin color.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody wrote:
KamTrus20 wrote:

Careful, lets not make this about skin color.

So its okay to stereo type one way but not the other?

I get it though I'll be careful.

Jamison on the sig
CWood21

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's watch the racial undertones.

KamTrus20 wrote:

Not with his shoulder injury. Maybe based on talent he's a top 50 prospect, but I seriously doubt a 4-3 LB is going in the first five rounds coming off a pretty significant surgery.

simonwayne wrote:
This one is over. Mark down the dubya.

Colts 45 - Chiefs 44
Tugboat

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
KamTrus20 wrote:

Not with his shoulder injury. Maybe based on talent he's a top 50 prospect, but I seriously doubt a 4-3 LB is going in the first five rounds coming off a pretty significant surgery.

Not top-50, but if he's there in the 5th round? Shocked Someone's probably getting a steal.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: