Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

3rd and 1
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
BigMoneysProtege


Joined: 09 Mar 2005
Posts: 1590
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: 3rd and 1 Reply with quote

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but why in the hell do we call a slant (a play which has looked below average at best for us this year) on 3rd and 1 driving into the Giants red zone. Trent had been breaking off fat chunks all day.

I don't excuse Weeden for the garbage pass he threw over Gordon's head, but I was screaming at my TV to run the damn ball.

This play call to me was the turning point in the game and led to a huge swing of points and momentum. We call a freaking dive on that 3rd and 1, we have a new set of downs and at least a FG, likely a TD going into halftime.

Frustrating.
_________________
Never looking back, or too far in front of me.

The present is a gift, and I just wanna be.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bulldog


Joined: 18 Nov 2008
Posts: 5833
Location: Salem
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: 3rd and 1 Reply with quote

BigMoneysProtege wrote:
I don't know if this has been mentioned, but why in the hell do we call a slant (a play which has looked below average at best for us this year) on 3rd and 1 driving into the Giants red zone. Trent had been breaking off fat chunks all day.

I don't excuse Weeden for the garbage pass he threw over Gordon's head, but I was screaming at my TV to run the damn ball.

This play call to me was the turning point in the game and led to a huge swing of points and momentum. We call a freaking dive on that 3rd and 1, we have a new set of downs and at least a FG, likely a TD going into halftime.

Frustrating.


Sure, right. The turning point was that one play on 3rd and 1.

Its wasn't the 200 yards rushing the D allowed.

Or the 3 wide open TD's to Cruz.

Or the lack of pass rush on Eli.

Or the lack of effort by the WR's.

Or the Injuries we suffered on defense.

Or the penalties

Or the turnovers on offense.

Or the lack of turnovers on defense.

No, none of that had anything to do with it. It was that one play that sent us spiraling down hill. We lost bc Shumur called taht one bad play. He must go! [/rant] [/sarcasm]
_________________
2013 First Ballot Recipient of the Joe Blackburn Award
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
candyman93


Joined: 02 Dec 2009
Posts: 42067
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a turning point for momentum and it pissed me off
_________________
El ramster wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Dude's been here for 8 years and doesn't know that his avi is too big? Not talking


You've been here 7 and still haven't picked a team.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ReggieCamp


Joined: 06 Dec 2006
Posts: 9351
Location: Canonsburg, PA
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any play can be a good play if it's executed well, but I definitely disagreed with the call.

Let me revise that a bit. My biggest problem was that Richardson was out of the game. Once the Giants saw Ogby on the field, they knew we were going to pass it. They nudged up to defend the short pass that was coming.

Yes, Weeden airmailed it, and we probably wouldn't be talking about the play if the throw was better, but you can't completely telegraph what you're going to do. Not in the NFL, anyway.
_________________
Suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope.

It will happen some day. Not sure when.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fsubrowns9510


Joined: 20 Feb 2008
Posts: 13308
Location: Rochester, NY
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh.

First time Trent tried it he got buried for a 2 yard loss. So many things killed us in that game to just blame it on 1 play.

I don't agree with the play call but I guess I can understand it TO AN EXTENT.
_________________


Browns Forum HOF Member Class of 2011
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
StewieRules


Joined: 17 Oct 2007
Posts: 1639
Location: jacksonville
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's damned if you do, damned if you don't. Run and it doesn't work and everyone cries "Omg, went to the well once too often," "Jeez could we BE any more predictable," "This play calling suckssss" etc etc. Weeden puts in on target and its a non-factor. He didn't and it ended up being a big play.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BigMoneysProtege


Joined: 09 Mar 2005
Posts: 1590
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: 3rd and 1 Reply with quote

bulldog wrote:
BigMoneysProtege wrote:
I don't know if this has been mentioned, but why in the hell do we call a slant (a play which has looked below average at best for us this year) on 3rd and 1 driving into the Giants red zone. Trent had been breaking off fat chunks all day.

I don't excuse Weeden for the garbage pass he threw over Gordon's head, but I was screaming at my TV to run the damn ball.

This play call to me was the turning point in the game and led to a huge swing of points and momentum. We call a freaking dive on that 3rd and 1, we have a new set of downs and at least a FG, likely a TD going into halftime.

Frustrating.


Sure, right. The turning point was that one play on 3rd and 1.

Its wasn't the 200 yards rushing the D allowed.

Or the 3 wide open TD's to Cruz.

Or the lack of pass rush on Eli.

Or the lack of effort by the WR's.

Or the Injuries we suffered on defense.

Or the penalties

Or the turnovers on offense.

Or the lack of turnovers on defense.

No, none of that had anything to do with it. It was that one play that sent us spiraling down hill. We lost bc Shumur called taht one bad play. He must go! [/rant] [/sarcasm]



This post had nothing to do with Shurmer. But you can't possibly say that that play was not a momentum shifting mistake. At that point Bradshaw had 50 yards and we were in the driver's seat.
_________________
Never looking back, or too far in front of me.

The present is a gift, and I just wanna be.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KamTrus20


Joined: 17 Nov 2009
Posts: 5360
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running the ball on 3rd and 1 every play is too predictable. Its easy to call it a bad play call after it happened. Fact of the matter is the slant has worked well for us this year and saying it has been a bad play for us this year is a joke. Its probably Weeden's best pass so far as a pro minus the bad one yesterday.

Trent Richards has 81 carries and is the leading reciever with 20 catches. He is on pace for close to 400 touches and that is simply too many touches if we want to get anything out of him 3-4 years down the road or even next season. I don't know where to find it but when CJ did it a few years ago they showed the stats of backs who had over 400 touches the next season and NO BACK had ever had a decent season the following year.

Everyone calling Pat Shurmur an idiot for not running T-Rich on 2nd and 1, 3rd and 1, 4th and 1 and complaining about him coming off the field on some 3rd downs had better be carefull what you wish for bc if Richardson carries the load too much too early he'll never be worth a damn when we need him most and that is 2-5 years from now.
_________________


Jamison on the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nugpimpen


Joined: 18 Feb 2006
Posts: 20478
Location: 10 Miles South of Cleveland
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

candyman93 wrote:
It was a turning point for momentum and it pissed me off

_________________


IDOG_det on the incredible sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NickZambo


Joined: 03 Mar 2009
Posts: 1540
Location: Pittsburgh Browns Backin'
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

candyman93 wrote:
It was a turning point for momentum and it pissed me off


I agreed that the play gave the giants momentum. But I just don't get why you wouldnt run the ball there for these reasons:

1. You are in field goal range, if you don't get the first down, you fall back on a field goal. And you cannot NOT take points against the Giants.

2. There is a higher probability that Weeden throws a pick rather than Richardson fumbling or losing 10 yards on the play.

3. You need 1 yard against a porous NYG run defense and you have the best RB in the stadium on your team.

It's true, we didn't lose the game b/c of this play, but I seriously question the play calling there, not sure if Weeden audibled or Shurmur called it but c'mon man.
_________________


Skipping over bruceb's posts since 2012
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Estonianzulu


Moderator
Joined: 11 Jan 2007
Posts: 25801
Location: Middle of Nowhere VA
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 3rd and 1 Reply with quote

BigMoneysProtege wrote:

I don't excuse Weeden for the garbage pass he threw over Gordon's head, but I was screaming at my TV to run the damn ball.


Hit the guy and no one remembers the play. You can't blame Shurmur for the play because Weeden threw the ball ten miles over the head of the receiver.

Poor execution kills any game plan
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BigMoneysProtege


Joined: 09 Mar 2005
Posts: 1590
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 3rd and 1 Reply with quote

Estonianzulu wrote:
BigMoneysProtege wrote:

I don't excuse Weeden for the garbage pass he threw over Gordon's head, but I was screaming at my TV to run the damn ball.


Hit the guy and no one remembers the play. You can't blame Shurmur for the play because Weeden threw the ball ten miles over the head of the receiver.

Poor execution kills any game plan



Agreed. I just think probability is in our favor for trent to get the yard, and then even if not worst case is a FG. Maybe I'm seeing something different but I've seen Weeden put slants behind, in front of, above, and below guys all year.
_________________
Never looking back, or too far in front of me.

The present is a gift, and I just wanna be.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bulldog


Joined: 18 Nov 2008
Posts: 5833
Location: Salem
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 3rd and 1 Reply with quote

BigMoneysProtege wrote:
bulldog wrote:
BigMoneysProtege wrote:
I don't know if this has been mentioned, but why in the hell do we call a slant (a play which has looked below average at best for us this year) on 3rd and 1 driving into the Giants red zone. Trent had been breaking off fat chunks all day.

I don't excuse Weeden for the garbage pass he threw over Gordon's head, but I was screaming at my TV to run the damn ball.

This play call to me was the turning point in the game and led to a huge swing of points and momentum. We call a freaking dive on that 3rd and 1, we have a new set of downs and at least a FG, likely a TD going into halftime.

Frustrating.


Sure, right. The turning point was that one play on 3rd and 1.

Its wasn't the 200 yards rushing the D allowed.

Or the 3 wide open TD's to Cruz.

Or the lack of pass rush on Eli.

Or the lack of effort by the WR's.

Or the Injuries we suffered on defense.

Or the penalties

Or the turnovers on offense.

Or the lack of turnovers on defense.

No, none of that had anything to do with it. It was that one play that sent us spiraling down hill. We lost bc Shumur called taht one bad play. He must go! [/rant] [/sarcasm]



This post had nothing to do with Shurmer. But you can't possibly say that that play was not a momentum shifting mistake. At that point Bradshaw had 50 yards and we were in the driver's seat.


Sure, it could have helps put the icing on the cake. But it was so early in the game it wouldn't have matter against the NYG. They play like that all the time, pressure means nothing to them.

Its was the lack luster effort by the defense and too many injuries to overcome that was a shift in the game.
_________________
2013 First Ballot Recipient of the Joe Blackburn Award
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
buno67


Joined: 15 Mar 2007
Posts: 31100
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hate how if the play is poorly executed it than means it was a bad play call...

If Weeden makes a better throw its a first down.

We gotta stop blaming the coach for easy mistakes the players make. Weeden has looked pretty good all year throwing slants and he throws a bad one yesterday and it costed us.

whats frustrating is ppl overracting
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
fsubrowns9510


Joined: 20 Feb 2008
Posts: 13308
Location: Rochester, NY
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buno67 wrote:
i hate how if the play is poorly executed it than means it was a bad play call...

If Weeden makes a better throw its a first down.

We gotta stop blaming the coach for easy mistakes the players make. Weeden has looked pretty good all year throwing slants and he throws a bad one yesterday and it costed us.

whats frustrating is ppl overracting


This is my stance. Ideally yea you'd think if you gave it to your back its a guaranteed 1st down. But if Weeden makes a better pass then its more than a 1st down. Trent made some great plays but the Giants were all over him on the previous 3rd and 1. They had the line stacked again.
_________________


Browns Forum HOF Member Class of 2011
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group