Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Brandon Pettigrew
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beats2rock

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Brandon Pettigrew Reply with quote

It seems like he isn't living up to his first round draft status. That strip late in the Titans game was horrible. You just don't see that very often--its embarrassing. And its not just this past week but it seems like every week he has some key drop or mental error in the 4th quarter. He's had like what, three years now to live up to being a first round draft pick? I know he makes plays sometimes but you would expect that out of a first round draft pick. I just think that if he doesn't show definate improvement by the end of the season the Lions should be looking for other options.
Locke

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's an overreacting stance on him. I think he is a good player and a very important part of the team, I think he needs to work on being a more consistent player.

What I wish they would do, is substitute some of his reps and give them to Scheffler or use a different formation and add Broyles. Without doing any number crunching, I would like to see a correlation between Pettigrew and our third down conversion percentage.
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Half of first round draft picks bust.

He's a good player: he was worth the pick.

Team Stylish
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:

He's a good player: he was worth a pick.

FIFY
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:

He's a good player: he was worth the pick.

Not sure he is worth the pick, but he is decent. He should be a backup TE that comes in on blocking downs. He is a lower tier starter if you look beyond his catch totals and look at his skill set, drops, and bonehead plays. A player of his caliber can and should be found much later in the draft.

Adopt-A-Lion - Riley Reiff, OT/TE/FB
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread again, huh?

He had a bad game yesterday. He has bad games a little too often. He does most of his work catching 8-yard passes on 3rd and 12. His blocking hasn't really been as advertised either.

That said, 80-catch players don't really grow on trees per se. He's been disappointing considering the kind of development we've seen from guys like Aaron Hernandez, Rob Gronkowski, Jimmy Graham, and Jermichael Finley in recent years. But has he been terrible? Not really. Just unspectacular. But someone's gotta catch the dumpoffs underneath so that we don't have to devote a receiver to the area. He's a top 15-20 TE, nothing more really.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for three years running!)
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:
This thread again, huh?

He had a bad game yesterday. He has bad games a little too often. He does most of his work catching 8-yard passes on 3rd and 12. His blocking hasn't really been as advertised either.

That said, 80-catch players don't really grow on trees per se. He's been disappointing considering the kind of development we've seen from guys like Aaron Hernandez, Rob Gronkowski, Jimmy Graham, and Jermichael Finley in recent years. But has he been terrible? Not really. Just unspectacular. But someone's gotta catch the dumpoffs underneath so that we don't have to devote a receiver to the area. He's a top 15-20 TE, nothing more really.

The 80 catches is due to the system and the QB. IMO his skill set does not separate him from many and I believe a lot of NFL TEs would catch that many balls in our offense.

RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllim Pickens wrote:
RyanFuller003 wrote:
This thread again, huh?

The 80 catches is due to the system and the QB. IMO his skill set does not separate him from many and I believe a lot of NFL TEs would catch that many balls in our offense.

You're exactly right. I've never been a big fan of Pettigrew because I don't think he offers anything that you can't get from a lot of fairly cheap free agent TEs.

Still, there's a reason he's on the field much more than Tony Scheffler, who is a considerably more athletic receiver. I guess the coaching staff sees something in Pettigrew I don't. Maybe I'm really underselling his blocking. Maybe they're still holding out hope he'll have a breakthrough in his fourth season and cut out the miscues. I don't know. He plays nearly every single snap, you'd think if the coaching staff thought as little of him as we do then they'd go ahead and throw Broyles or Young or Scheffler out there more often.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for three years running!)
detroitroar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think he was a good pick, and he has helped us win more games than hes helped us lost, but Sunday was a terrible game.

It wasnt just the lost fumble, but he had several other drops, and a critical holding penalty.

I hope he bounces back strong next week. He was essential for us last year against Minnesota.

detroitroar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I havent noticed said, is how well of a route runner he is. I personally think he is a great route runner, which is nearly as important as catching, if not as much.

Louis Friend

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:
This thread again, huh?

That's the thing though, Gronkowski and Graham are two of the best receiving TEs in the game today. What exactly has Finley done that makes him better then Grew? He's more athletic, but produces less, drops passes as well, is injured constantly, and now is bickering with his QB.

For all of Brandons faults, can you really name 15-20 TEs that are better than him? I can't.
Lions017

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh. Every time that Pettigrew has a bad game people bring up how he wasn't "worth the pick."

He's a solid, productive player for us. I'll take it. He doesn't need to be a superstar.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lions017 wrote:
Ugh. Every time that Pettigrew has a bad game people bring up how he wasn't "worth the pick."

He's a solid, productive player for us. I'll take it. He doesn't need to be a superstar.

Problem is, that means there are about 8-10 of these threads a year. He is productive, but so would a lot of TEs in that situation. Any player with that many targets will get close to or surpass his numbers IMO. If we plan on throwing to our TE as much as we do, let's get a TE with hands and speed. His 80 catches are 2-8 yard catches and he can't hold onto it if it's any further.

diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllim Pickens wrote:
RyanFuller003 wrote:
This thread again, huh?

On a team that features two TE's that are both top 20 at their position there are reasons Pettigrew see's as many snaps as he does and why he see's the second most looks on the team.

Everyone that fans compare Pettigrew against is nowhere near Pettigrews blocking abilities.

This is a player that started his collegiate career as a blocking TE and was slowly worked into the offence. Unlike most current TE's that are really just receivers in a TE's body. Pettigrew has improved every aspect of his game since his rookie season and is a very important piece of Detroit's offence. Fans under rate every aspect of his game.

The other inconsistency is how much faith fans have in Schwartz and Mayhew.

Pettigrew must be showing them something to remain as the third biggest piece of the Lions offence behind Stafford and CJ.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
tytalton

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
and he has helped us win more games than hes helped us lost

That is an interesting point - I think you are probably right. Lots of big catches but lots of plays where he has blown the game for us when a catch could have iced it. I think yes, he has helped us win more games but I don't know that it is by any wide margin. I think he has won/blown games something like 60-40 maybe?

And the blocking is something I just do not see out of him - pass blocking, chipping, run blocking. I don't see it. Maybe he is average to above average at it but nothing stands out to me with him.

I could easily see a veteran or something like a 3rd round TE come in and outplay him down the road. The guy just baffles me....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: