Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How confident are you in the 'current' runningback group?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will the Redskins add a RB to the 53 roster in 2013 that is not one of Morris, Royster or Helu?
Yes
73%
 73%  [ 11 ]
No
20%
 20%  [ 3 ]
I am afraid of commitment
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 15

footy_29

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: How confident are you in the 'current' runningback group? Reply with quote

In other words, do you believe that the runningback position is 'set' for the near-future?

I believe most agree that Alfred Morris is legit at this point - vision, balance, leg strength, footwork, pass blocking. Currently fourth in the NFL in rushing yards, averaging 4.9 yards a carry, with 4 TDs and zero fumbles...what more evidence does one need that this guy is legit?

Even I was a bit skeptical at first, but every game he seems more and more comfortable, and more impacting. This recent game, he was nothing short of stellar. If the receivers caught some catchable passes, Alfred Morris probably would have had even greater statistical proof of his strong performance. He may not remain the workhorse of the offense in the future, but it appears certain that he will be a main feature at the position.

About the other runningbacks....

Roy Helu Jr. has been shut down for the season due to Achilles tendinitis in both feet and turf toe - it was a very smart decision to I.R. him. Those injuries are very debilitating to a runningback - there was absolutely no reason to try to bring him back this season, regardless of Morris' effectiveness.

Evan Royster was working back tentatively from an injured knee in pre-season, and looks to be on the shelf for a few weeks.
    WashingtonPost wrote:
    Royster had two carries for 21 yards and a catch for 12 yards Sunday [Bengals]. He hurt his knee with 7:02 left in the fourth quarter... Royster had to be helped off the field. After the game, he said he fell on his knee awkwardly. He walked with a limp on Monday. Royster said it’s the same knee that he tweaked midway through the preseason.
So, the team had to sign Ryan Grant as a temporary fill-in, however I think we can all agree that he is temporary. In an in-game emergency, I expect Darrel Young will re-visit his high-school role as a runningback.

In my view, the Redskins have their three backs: Morris is powerful with good vision, Evan Royster has good vision and is consistent, and Helu has game-changing ability with forté as a pass-catcher.

Rebuilding a back-field with a fourth rounder, two sixth rounders and an UDFA (Young) is pretty fantabulous in my book.
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If nothing else, I'll say this:

If Mike Shanahan says this bum off the street (in the sense of a homeless person, not random street free agent) is his starting runningback, I'm fine with it. He's established a track record of finding scrubs and turning them into gold.

I could easily be talked into making a wager that none of the guys we currently have will be on the roster in two to three years time.
PARROTHEAD

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shan goes through rbs like race car goes through tires. They out and heres a new one in 14 seconds.

Most didnt think wed be drafting one last draft. And what happened? We drafted a starter thats starting over 3 guys people were happy with. With the Vet hitting the road.

Trinidad: Where a man is born a man. Not a PC wimp.. HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to think at some point we'd be drafting a running back next year. My guess is a late rounder again. Someone like the 3 young guys they have that they feel is a diamond in the rough. Like the others have said, Shanahan never stands pat at RB. He always adds some young talent there.

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Redskins24-7

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PARROTHEAD wrote:
Shan goes through rbs like race car goes through tires. They out and heres a new one in 14 seconds.

Most didnt think wed be drafting one last draft. And what happened? We drafted a starter thats starting over 3 guys people were happy with. With the Vet hitting the road.

Exactly. I agree 100%, Parrothead. Be honest... who here had actually heard of Alfred Morris prior to the draft? I know I didn't!
Duke Ihenacho: IR
Ryan Clark: 60 tackles, 1 PDef, .5 sacks
Logan Paulsen: 10 catches, 47 yards... and a fumble
PARROTHEAD

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redskins24-7 wrote:
PARROTHEAD wrote:

Exactly. I agree 100%, Parrothead. Be honest... who here had actually heard of Alfred Morris prior to the draft? I know I didn't!

I had heard of him. But was thinking, "Why are we taking him at our DEEP rb stacked position when so many good players are on the board still."

And just last night I was reading a article raking him as the 5th best rookie in the league atm. Cant be more happy with the pick now.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/44176/redskins-morris-among-top-5-rookies

Trinidad: Where a man is born a man. Not a PC wimp.. HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!
AntiSuperstar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Helu and Royster can prove that they can stay healthy, I'll be confident in the running back group. I like all three backs(plus the Fullback Young as well) as players. But if they can't stay healthy it doesn't really matter.
mike23md

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shanahan always drafts RB's. It is his staple. So regardless of the shape of the RB situation next year, there will likely be a RB drafted in the 6th round again.

I had never heard of Morris, and still cant believe he is our starter, but when Shanahan had named him the starter week 1, before my fantasy draft, I picked him up cause I just knew that he was going to be good.

And look at what he has produced.

Wish he would change his number tho, but w/e works.

2015 REDSKINS DRAFT HOPEFUL
2015 NFL MOCK DRAFT
TKellion

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike23md wrote:
Shanahan always drafts RB's. It is his staple. So regardless of the shape of the RB situation next year, there will likely be a RB drafted in the 6th round again.

I had never heard of Morris, and still cant believe he is our starter, but when Shanahan had named him the starter week 1, before my fantasy draft, I picked him up cause I just knew that he was going to be good.

And look at what he has produced.

Wish he would change his number tho, but w/e works.
This is my sentiment as well,There has been a new RB on the roster every season under Shanny and I dont see that changing .
S. Taylor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Morris.
I hope he sticks around.

I really don't like Royster.
Helu is good, but can he stay healthy?
If not, I don't see Shanahan having the patience for 'wait and see' every week.

I would have liked Lamar Miller in the draft, but I didn't know Alfred Morris or the Skins' intentions to draft him.

Next year, I think they'll add two new RBs.
mike23md

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They will at least add one. Royster seems to be the one to stay healthier at the moment behind Morris. But I could see them going as high as maybe 3rd round and select someone like Andre Ellington as that change of pace if Helu can't get healthy.

2015 REDSKINS DRAFT HOPEFUL
2015 NFL MOCK DRAFT
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike23md wrote:
They will at least add one. Royster seems to be the one to stay healthier at the moment behind Morris. But I could see them going as high as maybe 3rd round and select someone like Andre Ellington as that change of pace if Helu can't get healthy.
I hope we don't take a RB in round 3. DB and RT prospects should come before another Rb

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Almm24

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntiSuperstar wrote:
When Helu and Royster can prove that they can stay healthy, I'll be confident in the running back group. I like all three backs(plus the Fullback Young as well) as players. But if they can't stay healthy it doesn't really matter.

Agree with this all basically.

I think Helu and Royster will be good to go next season. And like footy said, we found our backs in the later rounds of the draft. If one of these guys don't work out, I have complete confidence that Shanny will find a suitable replacement.

Darrel Young is a beast, very underrated imo.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: