Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

JJ Watt
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
be WARE94

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:34 am    Post subject: JJ Watt Reply with quote

i'm obviously super late on this and i DO like tyron smith.....but why the HELL didn't we draft jj?......i hate the would could shoulda line of thought (that's all i can do looking at all the missed opportunities the cowboys have had over the years) but seriously i don't want to bring more negativity to the forum especially after a big loss on sunday.....but seriously......tony has been running for his life the last 18 games regardless.....you are telling me JJ watt isn't EXACTLY what this defense has been missing since we switched to the 3-4? am i crazy?
flyingmonkey30

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You see our current o-line? Now imagine that without Smith at LT.

When you get the chance to draft an elite left tackle, and you dont have one yet, you do it. The only exception is an elite quarterback

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingmonkey30 wrote:

When you get the chance to draft an elite left tackle, and you dont have one yet, you do it. The only exception is an elite quarterback

maybe it's just the side effects from the insomnia kicking in but i saw a thread in the comparisons forum comparing watt to justin smith and ngata....i can't help but feel like having that kind of impact player on our d line would pay HUGE dividends even more so then the "potentially" elite left tackle.....don't get it twisted i LOVE tyron.....but i think jj watt could've had a MUCH bigger impact on this team then tyron ever will......obviously they are both second year players and anything can happen but i can't help but feel like not picking jj is going to come back to haunt us......idk
JWingate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

be WARE94 wrote:
flyingmonkey30 wrote:

maybe it's just the side effects from the insomnia kicking in but i saw a thread in the comparisons forum comparing watt to justin smith and ngata....i can't help but feel like having that kind of impact player on our d line would pay HUGE dividends even more so then the "potentially" elite left tackle.....don't get it twisted i LOVE tyron.....but i think jj watt could've had a MUCH bigger impact on this team then tyron ever will......obviously they are both second year players and anything can happen but i can't help but feel like not picking jj is going to come back to haunt us......idk

You do realize in the Comparison Forum they probably feel that Matt Ryan is elite... Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: JJ Watt Reply with quote

be WARE94 wrote:
i'm obviously super late on this and i DO like tyron smith.....but why the HELL didn't we draft jj?......i hate the would could shoulda line of thought (that's all i can do looking at all the missed opportunities the cowboys have had over the years) but seriously i don't want to bring more negativity to the forum especially after a big loss on sunday.....but seriously......tony has been running for his life the last 18 games regardless.....you are telling me JJ watt isn't EXACTLY what this defense has been missing since we switched to the 3-4? am i crazy?

My friend this is a good debate to have. Watt is an impact player for sure. Going to be dominant for years. He would have filled a huge need for the Cowboys. My concern is where would the offensive line be without Smith? Our OL is a dog's breakfast with Tyron Smith. Without him I shudder to think of how bad they would be.

Word of caution. Discussing the O Line is a very volatile subject around here. It will spark some very strong responses.
be WARE94

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JWingate wrote:
be WARE94 wrote:
flyingmonkey30 wrote:

You do realize in the Comparison Forum they probably feel that Matt Ryan is elite... Laughing

lol he's(matt ryan) looked good so far this year....but i seen jj watt play in the playoffs last year the kid has looked like a boss and i think he's exactly what this defense and more importantly this team has been missing
be WARE94

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: JJ Watt Reply with quote

Northland wrote:
be WARE94 wrote:

My friend this is a good debate to have. Watt is an impact player for sure. Going to be dominant for years. He would have filled a huge need for the Cowboys. My concern is where would the offensive line be without Smith? Our OL is a dog's breakfast with Tyron Smith. Without him I shudder to think of how bad they would be.

Word of caution. Discussing the O Line is a very volatile subject around here. It will spark some very strong responses.

i was in the "let's go offensive line in the first round and get tony some more protection." camp this past offseason......i understand it's important......i really do......but we can agree defensive line CAN be just as important......i would of preferred taking watt last year......going offensive line(decastro?) in the first round this year......going corner or receiver in the 2nd round....ect
Northland

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: JJ Watt Reply with quote

be WARE94 wrote:
Northland wrote:
be WARE94 wrote:

i was in the "let's go offensive line in the first round and get tony some more protection." camp this past offseason......i understand it's important......i really do......but we can agree defensive line CAN be just as important......i would of preferred taking watt last year......going offensive line(decastro?) in the first round this year......going corner or receiver in the 2nd round....ect

I agree with you and I think we can state that line play is extremely important. The frustration is that we as fans seem to have this discussion year in and year out which by extension means the organization has not addressed it.

There will never be enough draft picks or free agent signings to satisfy everyone. But strong line play on both sides of the ball can mask a lot of sins. Like you I was firmly in the offensive line camp re the draft as well.
Tony7188

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the thing though, we draft JJ Watt. Would we still be in position to take Claiborne this year?

I know the trenches are more important but here me out. I would have loved if JJ drafted JJ Watt, but we all know if JJ did he wouldn't have drafted a LT in the 2nd round. That would mean JJ and co. would have drafted DL and OL with the first two picks of the draft.

But in Jerry's defense, this particular draft had a very weak OT class and we didn't have a choice. JJ Watt + 2nd round (reach) LT or Tyron Smith + Bruce Carter? I'm taking the latter everytime.

ware94 wrote:
Gameball: Any remaining Cowboys fans.
be WARE94

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony7188 wrote:
This is the thing though, we draft JJ Watt. Would we still be in position to take Claiborne this year?

I know the trenches are more important but here me out. I would have loved if JJ drafted JJ Watt, but we all know if JJ did he wouldn't have drafted a LT in the 2nd round. That would mean JJ and co. would have drafted DL and OL with the first two picks of the draft.

But in Jerry's defense, this particular draft had a very weak OT class and we didn't have a choice. JJ Watt + 2nd round (reach) LT or Tyron Smith + Bruce Carter? I'm taking the latter everytime.

that's a reasonable way of looking at it no doubt......obviously if bruce carter turns into a solid or even good starter for our defense and tyron smith becomes one of the best left tackles in football ( Pray ) then it won't matter.....still the offensive line is going to be an issue for the forceable future......at least with watt we COULD have a potential stud defense to take the load off tony and the offense......and as far as the claiborne pick.....still not crazy about it to this day.....really would of rather kept number 14 and our 2nd round pick TBH
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was MM who posted this question 2-3 weeks ago.

In there I was the only one to vote for Watt. I fully concede OL is an issue and we would be in worse shape without Smith. What I articulated, though, is as a defensive guy I would love to have Watt on this team. In a perfect vacuum I view him as a better player. But the team did the right thing with who they selected.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
be WARE94

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
I think it was MM who posted this question 2-3 weeks ago.

In there I was the only one to vote for Watt. I fully concede OL is an issue and we would be in worse shape without Smith. What I articulated, though, is as a defensive guy I would love to have Watt on this team. In a perfect vacuum I view him as a better player. But the team did the right thing with who they selected.

again hard to argue with that and "it is what it is" but i agree watt is the better player.....and would have an infinitely better impact on defense and the team then tyron ever could.....imagine him ratliff and lessismore(i'm sure that's wrong spelling lol) on our line vs the run......or a combo of him ratliff hatcher and ware rushing the passer on third down?.....nasty
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watt is a little overrated but is a fantastic talent on his way to being elite.

Sig courtesy of mack.
TD-ES-JJ

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even with hindsight being 20/20, I think Smith was the right choice at the time, even though I hated it at the time. He's appears to be a better tackle than I thought.

Even though Watt has proven to be a monster, if we had taken a 3-4 DE that high I would have thrown a fit. Would I rather have Watt than Smith, probably, but I would also rather have just about anyone than Free, Bernaducci, Livings and Costa/Ryan.

Sig Courtesy of thesickness89
SetonHallCowboy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
Watt is a little overrated but is a fantastic talent on his way to being elite.

Maddhatter, please explain why you believe Watt is a little overrated. I understand that you posted this a few weeks ago and your opinion might have changed from then to now, and rightfully so.

The fact that he can singlehandedly take over a game would make you think he is in fact underrated. Name me another 3-4 defensive end who can do everything he does at an elite level. He is excellent at stopping the run, deflects multiple passes a game that translate to turnovers, and he leads the NFL in sacks with 8.5.

I am not going to say that we should have drafted Watt over Smith because that would be unfair, given what we know now about Watt. But comparing Watt to Smith, right now, it's not even close. Smith is 22 with a lot of room to grow, I get that. He's playing on a horrible offensive line with no stability that limits his short term opportunity to improve. J.J Watt though, is in a league of his own. I truly feel that no matter how high Tyron's ceiling may be, it will never compare to the player that Watt has already blossomed into to, in just his 2nd year.

This was an interesting article on if Rob Ryan wanted J.J. Watt. Being a defensive coach, there's no doubt in my mind that he did.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4698882/did-rob-ryan-want-j-j-watt-over-tyron-smith

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: