Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

SHOULD The Melvin Ingram Play Stand?(Poll: Prosposed Change)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  

SHOULD This Rule be Changed?
Yes
33%
 33%  [ 10 ]
No
66%
 66%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 30

JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject: SHOULD The Melvin Ingram Play Stand?(Poll: Prosposed Change) Reply with quote

This is not about whether or not the rulebook says yes or no. This is about SHOULD a play like this happen.

For those who did not see: Ingram comes free on a blitz and is heading in a straight line. Brees throws the ball before he gets hit. The ball is picked off and returned for a TD. But, Ingram hit him in the helmet (I disagree, but not the point here) AFTER the ball left the hands of Brees. Should a play like this stand as an interception, with a penalty from the spot of the foul/pick? Or should it have gone the way it went tonight, which was Saints' ball.

To me, it makes no sense why this is Saints ball. Ingram did not hit Brees before he threw the ball. The pressure of Brees may have caused Brees to throw a pick, but there was no contact with Brees before the ball was released. Nothing Ingram did with the hit caused the ball to be picked off, or caused Brees to even throw the ball.

What do you guys think? Should this be a rule?

NOTE: POLL QUESTION HAS TO DO WITH PROPOSED RULE CHANGE

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI

Last edited by JammerHammer21 on Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:13 am; edited 3 times in total
Jakuvious

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: SHOULD The Melvin Ingram Play Have Stood As An Int? Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
This is not about whether or not the rulebook says yes or no. This is about SHOULD a play like this happen.

For those who did not see: Ingram comes free on a blitz and is heading in a straight line. Brees throws the ball before he gets hit. The ball is picked off and returned for a TD. But, Ingram hit him in the helmet (I disagree, but not the point here) AFTER the ball left the hands of Brees. Should a play like this stand as an interception, with a penalty from the spot of the foul/pick? Or should it have gone the way it went tonight, which was Saints' ball.

To me, it makes no sense why this is Saints ball. Ingram did not hit Brees before he threw the ball. The pressure of Brees may have caused Brees to throw a pick, but there was no contact with Brees before the ball was released. Nothing Ingram did with the hit caused the ball to be picked off, or caused Brees to even throw the ball.

What do you guys think? Should this be a rule?

The penalty occurred when it was still legally Saints ball. The line has to be drawn somewhere, and that seems like by far the most logical place.

I'm assuming this is the case, anyway, from the way you described it.

Adopt-a-Chief: Brandon Flowers
45 Tackles, 1 sack, 1 Interception, 32 INT yards, 5 PDs
bbllstr22

Location: Hell. The only place where the devil's advocate can reside.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused about the poll question. Is yes for the rule that exists or the rule you propose?
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bbllstr22 wrote:
I'm confused about the poll question. Is yes for the rule that exists or the rule you propose?

Sorry, should the proposed rule be the one that exists?

Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
rickyp

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
bbllstr22 wrote:

Sorry, should the proposed rule be the one that exists?

You might as well start again. The poll is going to be completely unreliable because of this.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.
Hammertime52

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it should be an interception, but 15 yards or whatever taken off for the Chargers.

Nick Foles supporter since 2012
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To any mod: Can you change the Poll Question to: "Should there be a rule change?"

#JDI
Sciz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would you do the yardage? I can't think of any way of doing it that follows any precedent set by other penalties.
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciz wrote:
How would you do the yardage? I can't think of any way of doing it that follows any precedent set by other penalties.

Penalty from spot of pick perhaps. That's the trickiest part, because you couldn't do from where the QB was hit.

#JDI
jsnydes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too much discretion to the refs if you change it. When did the hit occur? Before or after the ball was gone. They already have a hard enough time with calls like PI.

TommyC376^^^
bucsfan333

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsnydes wrote:
Too much discretion to the refs if you change it. When did the hit occur? Before or after the ball was gone. They already have a hard enough time with calls like PI.

Do you only throw a flag if the ball isn't caught?
Duffman57

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciz wrote:

Well, if their going to tack on the roughing the passer to a completed pass then i say they do it from the spot of the interception return. The only problem there is an INT for a TD, then i'd say take it from the spot of the foul. But itd be too hard to change it that way.

Bolt Up Comrades!

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucsfan333 wrote:
jsnydes wrote:

The flag could still be thrown. However, if it is a pick, there's no good reason for there to be no interception.

#JDI
bucsfan333

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
bucsfan333 wrote:
jsnydes wrote:

The flag could still be thrown. However, if it is a pick, there's no good reason for there to be no interception.

Except that the penalty negates the play.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: