Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Week 6: VIKINGS (4-1) at Redskins (2-3)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 58, 59, 60  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
disaacs

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TV Map is updated on Page 1. I thought there'd at least be a decent chance of them showing the Vikings game here, but nope...Giants-49ers. But, apparently, there must be some Vikings fans down in Tulsa. Laughing

Thx to Uncle Buck!
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unclear if I will get the game here (TOR). There is a chance I will get it on another network since its a 4pm game (buff is at 1pm), but I'm certain the NYG will be on.

My streaming record has been good tho.
Streaming/Watching = 4-0, Not-Watching = 0-1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darn. I'm heading to south Jersey for the weekend and I figured I had a chance to see the game on TV because it's farther out of the Giants market, but I guess not. Oh well.
milanb

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
The Vikings really have yet to establish a down field passing attack, and I am not confident they will be this week. MN has hit on a few long passes each game to Harvin, Rudolph and Simpson. MN really needs someone to step up as a down field threat. Simpson is a bit of a concern right now health wise, and I just havent seen much faith in Harvin as a down field receiver.

And all this assumes that the problem is the receivers and not the QB and/or pass protection.

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. — Ecclesiastes 9:11

But that’s the way to bet. — Jimmy The Greek
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

milanb wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
The Vikings really have yet to establish a down field passing attack, and I am not confident they will be this week. MN has hit on a few long passes each game to Harvin, Rudolph and Simpson. MN really needs someone to step up as a down field threat. Simpson is a bit of a concern right now health wise, and I just havent seen much faith in Harvin as a down field receiver.

And all this assumes that the problem is the receivers and not the QB and/or pass protection.

Or, ya know, it could be that our offense is more based on short to intermediate routes, and only going deep on the neccesary occasion.

Our QB is fine. Our Oline is fine, and the WRs have stepped up when needed. Sure going deep is nice, especially when it works, but why fix something when its not broke?

We'll adjust our game when we need to. I see nothing wrong with that.

down but not out. I still believe!
Klomp

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When teams face the Vikings, job one is going to be stopping WR Percy Harvin. Given how much Harvin plays in the slot, the majority of that task is going to fall to veteran CB DeAngelo Hall, who plays left corner in base. Hall may still have elite speed, but he struggles to prevent receptions and will likely lose track of Harvin on occasion in the game. Through five games, Hall has allowed 73.5% of targets to be complete and 349 receiving yards. He is very quick to come up against the run, however, and could jump some of the quick passes the Vikings try to feed Harvin. The Vikings might have to run Harvin a little deeper to at least commit Hall into a legitimate coverage pattern before passing if they want to reap the rewards of this matchup.

http://www.1500espn.com/pages/sportswire.php?sPL=scouting_report_robert_griffin_iii_gives_redskins_o_like_no_other100912
Gordon Bombay

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not really concerned with deangelo hall trying to tackles harvin. As long as ponder gets Percy the ball without hall jumping the route. I'm not too worried about hall in space matched up with harvin though. He's simply not quick enough anymore or physical enough to stop Percy
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minnesota only ran one bubble screen to Harvin against the Titans last week. I expect MN to run it 3-4 times against WAS, given that Hall could be a liability in open space against Harvin.
PurpleMugen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

milanb wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

This is a valid point.

Peppers90 on the sig.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PurpleMugen wrote:
milanb wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

This is a valid point.

Very well could be true, in the case with Harvin anyway. I think he does have some potential as a down field receiver, but he doesnt get those shots often, whether that is on the QB, lack of opportunity or Harvin remains to be seen. In the case of Jenkins and Aromashodu, I think its clear that they dont consistently get down field separation and are in fact hindrances as route runners. On vertical routes, Aromashodu tends to drift to the sideline and Jenkins is simply too slow. Simpson obviously has potential to create separation down field, but we have yet to see that chemistry develop within the offense, for obvious reasons.

Not one person is to blame, but I think we can identify where potential the problems are prevalent.

Harvin isnt getting those shots due to play calling, Jenkins/Aromashodu just arent good and Simpson doenst have chemistry with Ponder.
[UMN]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvin needs to be given more opportunities down field. He usually gets open.

Rudolph needs to be given more routes down the deep seam. A safety can't compete with his size.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[UMN] wrote:

Rudolph needs to be given more routes down the deep seam. A safety can't compete with his size.

Agreed with Rudolph. He is deadly down the seam, even if he is covered, he does a good job at getting his hands on the ball. I have been a bit baffled why MN isnt working Rudolph down the seam more.
Kellerman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
[UMN] wrote:

Agreed with Rudolph. He is deadly down the seam, even if he is covered, he does a good job at getting his hands on the ball. I have been a bit baffled why MN isnt working Rudolph down the seam more.

In the earlier games he ran a couple of post/seam routes. Results varied. He had a good 1st down reception against the 9ers in the redzone, but also dropped a pass.

That said, I agree we could stand to go to him more often, especially outside of the redzone, where I feel he's a bit underutilized. I'd like to see him run the corner route more often as well, with his size he'll beat any DB to the ball if he can turn his shoulders back towards it and jump.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

according to PFF, the Vikings OL and TE's are all worse than some backups:

Matt Kalil: 1.3 (36th)
Phil Loadholt: -0.7 (43rd)
Brandon Fusco: 0.4 (33rd)
Charlie Johnson: -2.0 (43rd)
John Sullivan: 10.9 (3rd)
John Carlson: -1.4 (41st)
Kyle Rudolph: -1.7 (43rd)

just another example of how "objective rankings" will never work in the NFL.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[UMN] wrote:
according to PFF, the Vikings OL and TE's are all worse than some backups:

Matt Kalil: 1.3 (36th)
Phil Loadholt: -0.7 (43rd)
Brandon Fusco: 0.4 (33rd)
Charlie Johnson: -2.0 (43rd)
John Sullivan: 10.9 (3rd)
John Carlson: -1.4 (41st)
Kyle Rudolph: -1.7 (43rd)

just another example of how "objective rankings" will never work in the NFL.

So in other words, we have the worst line in the league?

because thats so so wrong.

down but not out. I still believe!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Page 7 of 60

Jump to: