Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Week 6: VIKINGS (4-1) at Redskins (2-3)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 58, 59, 60  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
twslhs20

Location: Where the true depth of one's soul doesn't resonate with the world
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:12 pm

vike daddy wrote:
sorry gents, but they need to score more points. build more cushion during a game, and thus make the other team more predictable.

in the first half against TENN, we hit the red zone five times. five times in one half! we came away with one TD, three FG's, and an INT.

efficiency of play calling, ball control, and burning the clock are great things, but ya gotta cross the goal line with the ball too.

well put man. well put

Joe_is_the_best ^^
ArcticNorseman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't get to see the game as I was travelling, but I did keep track of it on mobile. My first impression was just as Robb called out . . . 3 field goals under 30 yards . . . that hurt the team's confidence.

The picks by Ponder - I want to see those . . . sounded like bad plays & as for the last one in the endzone . . . needed to make that throw.

Defensively, can't say much 'cause I don't know much 'til I see some video.

All in all though, I'm happy with this team being 4-2 at this point in the season. I just can't stomach that we lost to two rookie QBs . . . ok, they're not your average rookie QB, but still. I bet Russell Wilson's just licking his chops . . . lol.

But first, let's go take care of the Cards!
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the not coverting the TDs in the opening quarter hurt us obviously. But regardless, a 9-0 lead is a lead. Thats not the reason for the L, its the fact that we blew our lead (and later, our comeback efforts) by not being able to contain their option run.

The WR and DT needs are still first and foremost

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't watch the game, was driving, but I listened to most of it, second quarter on, and it sounds like Ponder had an off day, which isn't good, but is something you expect from time to time with a young QB, and as much as they were talking about how Ponder had an off day, it seemed like the defense just wasn't up to snuff either and didn't adjust well to the game and while they were able to stop the Redskins once late in the game they did give up the winning TD run.

Kellerman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a frustrating game. Here's my take:

D got completely outplayed and outschemed. Giving up 30+ points while generating only 1 turnover is always a bad thing.

The offense remains a mystery at times. They'll wow you with a great series, then fizzle in the redzone. Sometimes Musgrave tries so hard to outsmart everyone he ends up outsmarting himself. Not converting when you have 3 downs on the goal line is unacceptable, period.

As for Ponder, very uneven game. His accuracy was all over the place, one play he'd overthrow a completely open reciever by several yards, the next play he'd hit Percy over the middle with a perfectly placed ball in double coverage. He and Rudolph seemed out of sync all game (until the 4th quarter). The pick was similar to the Rudolph pick vs. Ten, good decision, overthrown ball (why??). I like his grit and determination to spearhead the comeback, but honestly those were garbage yards mostly.

In short, we lost this game by not executing in the redzone on 3 consecutive drives, letting the Skins back into the game. Then the Skins trashed our defense, and we lost.

#97 Everson Griffin: 27 tackles : 5.5 sacks : 1 FF ; 16 games played
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that stood out to me was how involved the Vikings made Adrian Peterson in the passing game. He hauled in 7 receptions for 50 yards. I dont know if it was by design or he was simply the dump off option, but I do like seeing him involved as a receiver. Peterson is always criticized for his low receiving numbers but I never thought he was a bad receiver, he just never got the opportunities other RBs do. For the year, he has 20 catches, which is more than any other Viking receiver except for Harvin and Rudolph.
twslhs20

Location: Where the true depth of one's soul doesn't resonate with the world
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
One thing that stood out to me was how involved the Vikings made Adrian Peterson in the passing game. He hauled in 7 receptions for 50 yards. I dont know if it was by design or he was simply the dump off option, but I do like seeing him involved as a receiver. Peterson is always criticized for his low receiving numbers but I never thought he was a bad receiver, he just never got the opportunities other RBs do. For the year, he has 20 catches, which is more than any other Viking receiver except for Harvin and Rudolph.

i would like to see AD get more screens/wheel routes.

Joe_is_the_best ^^
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twslhs20 wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

i would like to see AD get more screens/wheel routes.

I agree, I think a screen pass to Peterson should easily net the team 6-8 yards. Basically its an extended handoff, not sure why this team doesnt run more screen passes to him. Seems like Gerhart has been more the preferred screen back the past few years.
Freakout

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In those 3 failed red-zone series in 1st quarter, balls were thrown to Aromashodu, Ellison, Carlson and Gerhart. None to Harvin or Rudolph.

That is from Tom Pelissero.

Teams know that Percy and Kyle are our only real receiving threats. When the field shrinks in the red zone it becomes easier to limit them both.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Pelissero ‏@TomPelissero
Second-and-goal play from 5 remains confounding on #Vikings opening drive. Only 2 players in pattern, both doubled. Harvin/Rudolph blocking.

I think this is Musgrave outsmarting himself. Why would you ever draw up a passing play with only two receiving options while having Harvin/Peterson/Rudolph in as blockers?
Freakout

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[UMN] wrote:
Tom Pelissero ‏@TomPelissero
Second-and-goal play from 5 remains confounding on #Vikings opening drive. Only 2 players in pattern, both doubled. Harvin/Rudolph blocking.

I think this is Musgrave outsmarting himself. Why would you ever draw up a passing play with only two receiving options while having Harvin/Peterson/Rudolph in as blockers?

Another play that sticks out was in the second half. Peterson is moving the chains and we are marching down the field. Peterson goes out and we go heavy two tight end look on the right side but with Percy lined up at RB. We had Toby Gerhart lined up out wide on the left side of the field for some reason. Percy ended up getting 2 yards out of the play.

Now I know some like using Percy at RB but it made no sense against a Washington team that was doing a damn good job stopping the run. Plus everyone knows that when Harvin is in the backfield he is very likely going to be getting the ball. Musgrave just tries to get too cute.

That is why I love watching San Francisco. There is no trickery involved. They'll bring in a 6th lineman, overload one side along with their tight ends, and run the ball down your throat.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vikings ran the ball on 3rd and 4 at the Washington 10 in the 1st Quarter, when they already had a 6-0 lead. And it was with Toby Gerhardt as the ball carrier.

I don't understand that one at all.

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. ó Ecclesiastes 9:11

But thatís the way to bet. ó Jimmy The Greek
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

milanb wrote:
The Vikings ran the ball on 3rd and 4 at the Washington 10 in the 1st Quarter, when they already had a 6-0 lead. And it was with Toby Gerhardt as the ball carrier.

I don't understand that one at all.

Agreed, I was baffled by that play call. If your going to run it, atleast put Harvin or Peterson back there.
milanb

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:

Agreed, I was baffled by that play call. If your going to run it, atleast put Harvin or Peterson back there.

3rd and 4 is usually a passing down. In this situation, when you've already been to the Red Zone twice and had to settle for two FGs, you have to give your team a better chance at the TD.

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. ó Ecclesiastes 9:11

But thatís the way to bet. ó Jimmy The Greek
PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we agree, Musgrave had another bad day. Still remain unconvinced this is a good design for an offense.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 58, 59, 60  Next
Page 59 of 60

Jump to: