Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Week 6: VIKINGS (4-1) at Redskins (2-3)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 57, 58, 59, 60  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
vikingsrule


Moderator
Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 47778
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDBrocks wrote:
The defense's performance is why I have been saying that they need to upgrade the LB position. They just dont have the athletic ability to move laterally and contain the type of athletes that beat them today.

RGIII is a supreme talent, and with a little more seasoning he will be a great quarterback.

Hopefully Winfield has another motivational speech worth 3 wins Laughing


I think it was a combination of the option offense, pistol formation, and 2-3 players in the back field with RGIII that confused the Vikes LBs. They feared the option, it was quite clear, and that opened up a lot of things over the middle in the passing game.

Its not a huge issue to me, except when MN faces an option and/or pistol offense. There are only really two of them in the league in Washington and Carolina.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JDBrocks


Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 5150
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't just the option though. The intermediate to deep middle of the field was open all game and not a LB to be seen. They certainly cant use a LB as a spy, so that's not an excuse either. Just poor play all around from that group.
_________________


Josh Ritter wrote:
I became a thin blue wire, that held the world above the fire
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
footy_29


Joined: 31 Jan 2007
Posts: 11397
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
PaulWall_23 wrote:
wcblack34 wrote:
PaulWall_23 wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
Just glad I dont have to see an offense similar to this one again this year. Washington is dangerous on offense.


Imagine if they weren't rolling out Josh Morgan and had a slightly better offensive line.

They'll address those needs in the draft though......................


Actually, that might be tough with all the picks they gave up for Griffin. They'll need a couple of Daniel Snyder's FA acquisitions to actually pan out.


lol I know the abnormal pause was for sarcasim, apparently it didn't land.


They will be fine, they still have a full draft of picks outside of round 1. Surely, they will make a free agent splash. If Dwayne Bowe isnt a Redskin in 2013, I will be shocked.


While it would be nice for the Redskins to get another receiver, I do not see it happening. While I think the Redskins may look to move on from Fred Davis in 2013, they should be 'relatively' similar with their receiving options. Who knows if Santana Moss is still around (16-223-2TD) or Josh Morgan (16-201-0), but I wouldn't be surprised to see them kept. Otherwise, we really haven't seen Pierre Garcon aside from a couple of quarters worth of football, and when we did he looked like a go-to target for RG3.

This offense is constructed for guys fitting certain roles, let me elaborate:
    Pierre Garcon - primarily deep threat and primary option for WR screens
    Joshua Morgan - physical first-down receiver
    Santana Moss - slot receiver with deep speed
    Leonard Hankerson - intermediate routes
    Niles Paul - blocking specialist on screens and QB draws
..And then you have Dez Briscoe as the understudy to J.Morgan and Aldrick Robinson as the understudy to Pierre Garcon/Santana Moss.

While it would be nice to find a premier receiver, I doubt you will be seeing the Redskins pursue anyone notable. It looks like Hankerson will be a staple of the offense next year (3rd round 2011); Aldrick Robinson has shown chemistry with RG3 (Round 6); Dez Briscoe has shown potential to develop into a starting calibre receiver. The focus will be to develop these guys with RG3, and as I said above, if they add anyone, it will be a TE in the middle-rounds to develop.

-------
Just to add: Under Bruce and Mike, the Redskins have made some good additions with team/cap friendly contracts who have performed well. This list includes Cofield, Bowen, Josh Wilson, Will Montgomery, Chris Chester, and you can argue a slew of other short-term contracts were good deals.


Last edited by footy_29 on Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Frank Costello


Joined: 01 Mar 2009
Posts: 9256
Location: in 2009, Vikings>Saints
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Five words, uptempo and hurry up offense.
_________________
2014 - In Zimmer we trust.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thaiphoon


Moderator
Joined: 03 Jan 2007
Posts: 14279
Location: Northern Virginia
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good game guys. I really thought you were gonna pull it out. We seem to not know that there is a 4th quarter in which we need to play defense.

Hope you much success (my brother is a Vikes fan so this makes you my 2nd favorite team).

I've asked every opposing teams' fans this question:

What are/were your impressions of RG3?
_________________


Being Vague Is Almost As Much Fun As That Other Thing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lil Uno


Joined: 17 Sep 2007
Posts: 7750
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thaiphoon wrote:
Good game guys. I really thought you were gonna pull it out. We seem to not know that there is a 4th quarter in which we need to play defense.

Hope you much success (my brother is a Vikes fan so this makes you my 2nd favorite team).

I've asked every opposing teams' fans this question:

What are/were your impressions of RG3?


No doubt he will be your QB for awhile. He plays with great poise, has a great arm, and makes sound decisions. A little cocky, but some people love that in a QB. I do believe that the option/pistol has made his transition a lot easier. I'm not sure he would be having the amount of success he has had without it. Props to Kyle Shanahan for building an offensive scheme to suit him. Overall, you guys have a lot to be excited about in Washington.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vikingshomer


Joined: 01 Jan 2009
Posts: 2232
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thaiphoon wrote:
Good game guys. I really thought you were gonna pull it out. We seem to not know that there is a 4th quarter in which we need to play defense.

Hope you much success (my brother is a Vikes fan so this makes you my 2nd favorite team).

I've asked every opposing teams' fans this question:

What are/were your impressions of RG3?

For us, it's quite the contrary. Our offense is ultra conservative until we literally *need* to score and then Musgrave opens up the play book. It's beyond frustrating.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Robb_K


Joined: 30 Aug 2011
Posts: 313
Location: Oude Niedorp, Netherlands
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CriminalMind wrote:
Our type of offense is not built to put up big points and we know that.
We need clean games and be able to stop the run.
The option run offense Washington was effective on us.
Thats the main reason we lost.

The fact that Ponder thru a poor pick-6, or the red zone offense was below average, is not what did us in.


Had The Vikings scored a touchdown on two of those first three field goal drives, it would have been a completely different game. The Vikings would have had more confidence. The Redskins would have had to pass more, to get back in the game, and would have been easier to defend against. RG III wiuld have run less, looking more for the throw. There would have been a few sacks, and more stopping of drives.

Simpson being out hurt a lot. Jenkins just doesn't go deep and catch balls anymore. The Redskins were able to put 8 and 9 men in the box and stuff The Vikings' running game (and render Peterson almost useless on runs). That, in turn, caused Ponder to use mainly short passes to Peterson, Harvin and Rudolph, which resulted in difficulty in sustaining drives. That is because all it takes is one or two things to go wrong to kill a drive, while it's difficult to be perfect in gaining 10-yards at a time and continue marching down the field.

Had The Vikings had Simpson helping to stretch the field, there would have been more room for Peterson to run, more room for the mid range pass game, and probably a long catch or two by Simpson and maybe a long pass interference call. All of that can change the whole complexion of a game. If Peterson and the running game are eating up yards, drives last longer, the defence stays off the field, and it can perform better.

Let's hope that Simpson plays next Sunday.

But, it's clear that young teams make errors, and don't play on an even keel every week. They'd lose most games when losing the give-a-way/take-a-way battle by two, and they didn't react well to RG III's run threat.
_________________
http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/9633/av5e.jpg
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vike daddy


Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Posts: 73317
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:12 pm

vike daddy wrote:
sorry gents, but they need to score more points. build more cushion during a game, and thus make the other team more predictable.

in the first half against TENN, we hit the red zone five times. five times in one half! we came away with one TD, three FG's, and an INT.

efficiency of play calling, ball control, and burning the clock are great things, but ya gotta cross the goal line with the ball too.

_________________


Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sloppy28


Joined: 16 Apr 2012
Posts: 420
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robb_K wrote:
CriminalMind wrote:
Our type of offense is not built to put up big points and we know that.
We need clean games and be able to stop the run.
The option run offense Washington was effective on us.
Thats the main reason we lost.

The fact that Ponder thru a poor pick-6, or the red zone offense was below average, is not what did us in.


Had The Vikings scored a touchdown on two of those first three field goal drives, it would have been a completely different game. The Vikings would have had more confidence. The Redskins would have had to pass more, to get back in the game, and would have been easier to defend against. RG III wiuld have run less, looking more for the throw. There would have been a few sacks, and more stopping of drives.

Simpson being out hurt a lot. Jenkins just doesn't go deep and catch balls anymore. The Redskins were able to put 8 and 9 men in the box and stuff The Vikings' running game (and render Peterson almost useless on runs). That, in turn, caused Ponder to use mainly short passes to Peterson, Harvin and Rudolph, which resulted in difficulty in sustaining drives. That is because all it takes is one or two things to go wrong to kill a drive, while it's difficult to be perfect in gaining 10-yards at a time and continue marching down the field.

Had The Vikings had Simpson helping to stretch the field, there would have been more room for Peterson to run, more room for the mid range pass game, and probably a long catch or two by Simpson and maybe a long pass interference call. All of that can change the whole complexion of a game. If Peterson and the running game are eating up yards, drives last longer, the defence stays off the field, and it can perform better.

Let's hope that Simpson plays next Sunday.

But, it's clear that young teams make errors, and don't play on an even keel every week. They'd lose most games when losing the give-a-way/take-a-way battle by two, and they didn't react well to RG III's run threat.


Couldn't agree more, Robb. Good analysis of the game. Turning FGs into TDs is going to be huge with this team moving forward. Huge in many aspects: confidence and swagger of the team, more points on the board which forces the opposing offenses to become one-dimensional, hopefully more QB pressure from our D-line because teams will be throwing more which will hopefully lead to more turnovers, sacks, 3 and outs. In other words, we NEED to turn those FGs into touchdowns.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vikingsrule


Moderator
Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 47778
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:12 pm

vike daddy wrote:
sorry gents, but they need to score more points. build more cushion during a game, and thus make the other team more predictable.

in the first half against TENN, we hit the red zone five times. five times in one half! we came away with one TD, three FG's, and an INT.

efficiency of play calling, ball control, and burning the clock are great things, but ya gotta cross the goal line with the ball too.


Spot on. The Vikes really dominated that first quarter, but the score didnt indicate that since they couldnt turn FGs into TDs. MN had three great drives but only had a 9-0 lead. That is what it comes down to. What does this offense need to do to get the ball in the endzone? Can Jerome Simpson be that spark this year? Can the vikes adjust play calling to make the corrections they need to?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sloppy28


Joined: 16 Apr 2012
Posts: 420
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thaiphoon wrote:

I've asked every opposing teams' fans this question:

What are/were your impressions of RG3?


I love RG3. I have been a big fan of his ever since I first saw him play last year. (Not so much anymore after he tore us up! Laughing just kidding) You guys got a good player for many years to come, I just hope they build a solid O-Line for him and he can avoid taking so many hits! I don't want to see the kid hurt, but if he continues to play like Vick, he will get hurt like Vick....
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vikingsrule


Moderator
Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 47778
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sloppy28 wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:

I've asked every opposing teams' fans this question:

What are/were your impressions of RG3?


I love RG3. I have been a big fan of his ever since I first saw him play last year. (Not so much anymore after he tore us up! Laughing just kidding) You guys got a good player for many years to come, I just hope they build a solid O-Line for him and he can avoid taking so many hits! I don't want to see the kid hurt, but if he continues to play like Vick, he will get hurt like Vick....


In regards to RGIII, his success as a franchise QB will largely depend on how well he can protect his body. Griffin is so dangerous in those option and pistol offenses, but it potentially exposes him greatly. You dont want to take those elements out of his game because they are game changing, at the same time, the Redskins and Griffin must be smart so he doesnt take those big hits. I am not concerned as much for Cam Newton, who does a lot of the same things, but Newton is so huge. He can hold up against those extra shots. Griffin still looks very frail to me, he needs to pack on weight to better absorb those hits. Most of all, he needs to find ways to avoid them but that is probably unavoidable given what he is asked to do.

Griffin has everything. He has the arm, accuracy, mobility, game breaking ability, charisma, leadership and energy to be a special player.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sloppy28


Joined: 16 Apr 2012
Posts: 420
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:

Spot on. The Vikes really dominated that first quarter, but the score didnt indicate that since they couldnt turn FGs into TDs. MN had three great drives but only had a 9-0 lead. That is what it comes down to. What does this offense need to do to get the ball in the endzone? Can Jerome Simpson be that spark this year? Can the vikes adjust play calling to make the corrections they need to?


HUGE difference in the game if we come out of the first quarter up 17-0 or 21-0 rather than 9-0. Huge for the teams confidence and extremely hard to come back on a lead like that. This frustrates me so damm much! We insist on running the ball 2 times with 8 or 9 in the box when we get down to the redzone and end up in 3rd and long every time. Why can't we get some slant routes, I mean really? Get the dang ball in the endzone and games can be a completely different story! Look at what happened at the end of the game when we opened up the play book, where is that early in the game?!??!
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PurpleMugen


Joined: 05 Feb 2008
Posts: 4019
Location: Rutgers University
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sloppy28 wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

Spot on. The Vikes really dominated that first quarter, but the score didnt indicate that since they couldnt turn FGs into TDs. MN had three great drives but only had a 9-0 lead. That is what it comes down to. What does this offense need to do to get the ball in the endzone? Can Jerome Simpson be that spark this year? Can the vikes adjust play calling to make the corrections they need to?


HUGE difference in the game if we come out of the first quarter up 17-0 or 21-0 rather than 9-0. Huge for the teams confidence and extremely hard to come back on a lead like that. This frustrates me so damm much! We insist on running the ball 2 times with 8 or 9 in the box when we get down to the redzone and end up in 3rd and long every time. Why can't we get some slant routes, I mean really? Get the dang ball in the endzone and games can be a completely different story! Look at what happened at the end of the game when we opened up the play book, where is that early in the game?!??!


Either one of those scores and I guarantee this team would have won this game. Giving your defense that kind of support on the scoreboard allows them enough breathing room to dial in and keep the lead safe. That would have made a humongous difference, as you pointed out.
_________________

Peppers90 on the sig.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 57, 58, 59, 60  Next
Page 58 of 60

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group