Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Burleson Declares Calvin > Moss. Is He Right?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Comparisons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Burleson Declares Calvin > Moss. Is He Right? Reply with quote

Quote:
ALLEN PARK -- Sunday's matchup between the Detroit Lions and San Francisco 49ers will feature two of the most dangerous wide receivers to ever play the game.

On one side, Calvin Johnson is entering the prime of his career, coming off a 1,681-yard, 16-touchdown season. On the other side, Randy Moss is making a comeback after a one-year retirement from the game.

Lions wide receiver Nate Burleson is uniquely familar with both players, having played with Johnson the past two seasons and spending the first two years of his career opposite Moss. It's no surprise people look to Burleson to compare the two.

"They're extremely similar; it's kind of eerie," Burleson said. "They're both quiet, they stick to themselves, they'd rather lead by example than go out there and rah-rah. What I tell people all the time, the one thing I appreciated playing with Randy, and the thing I appreciate playing with Calvin, the highlights that people see on Sundays on their local news stations are nothing compared to the highlights we see every day at practice."

Burleson said he and his brothers regularly debate which receiver is better.

"Yeah, they argue for Moss," Burleson said. "Then we pop in the tape and there're days when I waver and see Moss highlights. Then I call them back during the summer and say, 'Nah, you should have saw this play Calvin made today. He's a living legend.'"

While Burleson is siding with Johnson, he's grateful he's had the opportunity to play with both players.

"I'm just fortunate enough to play the Robin to their Batman," Burleson said. "I've been beside two greats and I'm going to continue to eat the crumbs off their plates."

Coming into Sunday's showdown, Moss is nearing 15,000 yards for his career. If he plays a full season, he also has a decent shot to become the ninth player in NFL history to catch 1,000 passes. With a touchdown reception against the Packers last week, he claimed sole possession of second place on the receiving touchdown list with 154 scores.

The far less experienced Johnson has caught 372 passes for 5,983 yards and 49 touchdowns in a little more than five professional seasons.

First actual player to say that. Pretty much everyone else laughs. Is he right?

Everyone knows where I stand...
A sunny disposition is worth more than fortune. Young people should know that it can be cultivated; that the mind like the body can be moved from the shade into sunshine. Thine own reproach alone do fear
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see why Megatron couldn't be as good as Moss as a player. He can't be guarded almost all the time and will continue to put up gaudy stats.
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy plays the same position as they do and played with both of them. His opinion is certainly as relevant as anyone else's.
NextBigThing

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
I don't see why Megatron couldn't be as good as Moss as a player. He can't be guarded almost all the time and will continue to put up gaudy stats.

Tron is stronger. Thats about all he has. For as good as he is with jump balls, nobody can touch moss
A sunny disposition is worth more than fortune. Young people should know that it can be cultivated; that the mind like the body can be moved from the shade into sunshine. Thine own reproach alone do fear
RainbowCarebear

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's possible, let's see 10 years down the line if Calvin have the stats to back it up.

"Do you imagine Whoresbane loves you any better? If you did not hold the ..., he would pull out your entrails and make you eat them"
"In return, we swore that we should always be their men"
mse326

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Calvin could be better. His strength and size make him more versatile and he is just as good as a deep threat.

With that said, it is too early to anoint him as that since Moss is a top 3 receiver in the history of the game.

#JDI
nagahide13

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calvin will never tank, and he's only just entering his prime. Who is better now? Calvin, obviously. Who will have the better career? I have no idea. Who was better in their prime? How can you answer that one when Calvin's only 26?

What exactly are you trying to say here?
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of all people, Johnson very well could surpass Moss. Though, I think Moss is the better player though, comparing the primes of their career.
RandyMossIsBoss

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Of all people, Johnson very well could surpass Moss. Though, I think Moss is the better player though, comparing the primes of their career.

I agree.

For me, right now their are only two players who I think could surpass Moss:

1. Fitzgerald (Has the rice-esque work ethic and attitude, could have Rice-esque longevity as he doesn't rely on physical ability as much as Moss or Calvin.)
2. Calvin (Athletic freak. That is all.)

I think both of them can, I think Fitz will, and I think Calvin won't.

~Bird Watch 2014 | Nick Foles~
1,628 yards, 10 TDs, 7 INTs, 82.0 Passer Rating
willy_law

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RainbowCarebear wrote:
It's possible, let's see 10 years down the line if Calvin have the stats to back it up.

TheGreatDebater

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyMossIsBoss wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

I agree.

For me, right now their are only two players who I think could surpass Moss:

1. Fitzgerald (Has the rice-esque work ethic and attitude, could have Rice-esque longevity as he doesn't rely on physical ability as much as Moss or Calvin.)
2. Calvin (Athletic freak. That is all.)

I think both of them can, I think Fitz will, and I think Calvin won't.

Fitz 697 9,678 13.9 73

Dont think he has a chance if anyone does have a chance its Megatron look at the numbers they are great but lets remember Fitz is 29 and those numbers arent going to do it. He would have to double his TDs and get over 6k yards and about 400 more catches i dont think he will do that over the next 5-6 years assuming he plays that long and oh yea Moss is still going.
TheGreatDebater

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Moss is still the most physically gifted WR ever (i know its arguable) and its close. But not only that but Megatron WILL maximize his potential and Moss didnt. Tron has a chance, a slight chance but its possible. As for the question between who is better in their prime, Moss not thinking twice. As for the one trick pony thing i dont see how a one trick pony can get about 1000 receptions but the stats are ridiculous. Moss is a beast 2nd goat its hard to make that decision that Megatron is better than prime Moss. Remember whatever you saw from megatron, Moss has been there and done that. Other than last year Calvin has barely been top 5-6 WR but now people are declaring he is better than Prime Moss smh how quickly they forget. Rolling Eyes
nagahide13

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGreatDebater wrote:
As for the question between who is better in their prime, Moss not thinking twice.

Calvin is 26. Not in his prime. How can you ask the question when one's not even there yet?

Quote:
Other than last year Calvin has barely been top 5-6 WR but now people are declaring he is better than Prime Moss smh how quickly they forget. Rolling Eyes

That's just ridiculous. He's been in the (at the very least) top 3 for the last several years... and many even had him as the best in the game during that time. From ages 23-26.
Bobikus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calvin has GOAT potential at WR, so yeah, he can surpass Moss if things go well for him.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not yet.

He keeps on playing like he did last year and he's going to blow by every WR to play the game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eSN8Cwit_s
fuarge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Comparisons All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 1 of 16

Jump to: