Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bear's Defense
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DontTazeMeBro

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone is else getting dismissed because the 49ers and Texans were the best last year. But there are a few teamsthat have looked fantastic on D so far. Bears are definitely on the short list. I agre with Seattle being up there. Dophins and Eagles defenses are quietly having great years.

It's too early to say for sure already, but I think I would go with the Bears. Great pass rushers. So many big plays from the back seven. Tough to run on.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
1/10. Not a fan[of C.J. Mosley]. Just another future failed Alabama product.
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
Let's not get carried away. They beat up on the Jaguars today. They're elite, but I'd still take the Niners, Cardinals and Texans [in no particular order] ahead of them.

There should be a rule that you can't create a thread about a team/player after they have just played the Jags. Sorry Jag fans, your team is a hot mess...
Mossburg

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks just like the Bears D from the SB run.

Turnovers galore.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -Mark Twain
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still tend to think Seattle, San Francisco and Houston's are better, but otherwise I don't know who else fits the billing.

I'll say Top 5. I'm impressed Chicago.

down but not out. I still believe!
Slaymont Harris

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you subtract Cutler's pick 6, the special teams TD, and the 8 pts Kyle Orton scored with 30 seconds left down 24, the Bears are giving up 9.8 pts per game. The defense is also scoring 7 pts a game, getting 3.4 takeaways a game, and 3.6 sacks a game. Those numbers are completely insane.

The argument against them is that they have played some porous offensive lines that they've been able to dominate with their front four.
Steelerspower

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top 3 defense right now

1.49ers/Texans
3.Bears
4-6:Eagles/cards/seahawks

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Texans and Niners definitely deserve to be discussed ahead of the Bears, but those putting other teams out there or saying they "can be had in the passing game" are just foolish. This isn't the defense of the past couple years, they have been lights out. Like that one guy posted, you take a garbage TD, and 2 that weren't even against the defense, and the team is giving up under 10 a game. Five games vs. a wide range of competition and they've been great all 5.
Bears Are Legit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're feasting on bad teams right now, don't look too far into it.
imani

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelerspower wrote:
Top 3 defense right now

1.49ers/Texans
3.Bears
4-6:Eagles/cards/seahawks

i think the seattle defense is every bitt as good as the bears. The eagles aren't among the hawks and cards IMO

Russell Wilson Fan since July 2012
RaiderFanSD

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They've been a HUGE fantasy steal for me. 28 pts this week!
Badger75

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
Who is Bear?

And no. San Francisco and Houston have MUCH better defenses.

With Smith and Marinelli operating the Bears D? Take the Bears.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iknowcool wrote:
Maybe I'm overrating them because they just made our offense their you know what but Seattle's defense has to be in the conversation. Arguably the best pass rush, undoubtedly the best secondary, and a terrific linebacking trio with Wright and Wagner, who ran down Newton when he was trying to roll out. I haven't seen another LB do that to Cam since he's been in the NFL.

1. Bears leading the league in sacks, next...

2. Bears lead the league in interceptions, Tim Jennings, NFC DPOM leads the league in INTS w/ 4, and has forced 3 more. SS Major Wright is amongst the players tied at 2 w/ 3. Charles Tillman, the NFLs most underrated player, has back to back pick 6 games. DJ Moore is still one of if not the best NB in the NFL. Opposing QBs have a 60.0 QBR against them. Find me a passing defense playing better, seriously.

3. Really you don't think Lance Briggs could run down Cam? Julius Peppers ran down Cam, I'm sure Lance could too. Lance Briggs is still the best 4-3 OLB in the NFL.

Honestly this "Texans and 49ers are better for sure" crap is just that, its crap. All 3 teams are playing at the same level. Seattle is in that group too. The Bears lead the league in sacks, turnovers, opposing QB rating, #3 in ppg, #2 in run D, #3 in 3rd down %. 9ers lead the league ppg, #19 in sacks, #12 in Turnovers, #7 in Run D, #10 in opposing QBR, #11 in 3rd down %. Texans lead the league in 3rd down %, #2 in opposing QBR, #5 in turnovers, #4 in ppg, #9 Run D, #5 in sacks. Somebody please explain to me how either of those 2 are "clearly" better than the bears.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
Slaymont Harris

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, both Football Outsiders and the Aikman Ratings had the Bears as the #1 defense in the league using their metrics, and that was before the Jags game, where they scored 14 points and gave up 3.

Superman(DH23) wrote:

3. Really you don't think Lance Briggs could run down Cam? Julius Peppers ran down Cam, I'm sure Lance could too.

Peppers even ran down Michael Vick. Shocked

Last edited by Slaymont Harris on Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. I'm going homer here and saying that Seattle has the best defense in the league right now, and if they don't, they are 1b behind San Fran.

Chicago is definitely right there, though. They've been straight up savage this year.

But with that said, Seattle has hands down the best secondary in the league, one of the most talented and deep pass rushes in the league and physical freaks at LB who are great in coverage and at stopping the run.

Steve Smith Sr. on Panthers Secondary wrote:
"I'm 35 years old and I ran around those boys like they was schoolyard kids."
JTagg7754

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have some old personnel. I think they're playing great now but they're slow down late. Best now? Arguably. Best in December? No way.

PM sig requests.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: