Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How much of our self-destruction is on...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How much of our self-destruction is on...
Poor coaching and game-planning?
28%
 28%  [ 8 ]
Poor playing by the players?
42%
 42%  [ 12 ]
Shurmur's play-calling?
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Weeden's mistakes?
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Something else?
21%
 21%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 28

Author Message
LETSGOBROWNIES


Joined: 06 Feb 2006
Posts: 7925
Location: CINCINNATI
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatpig wrote:
not sure which thread this fits best and i didn't want to start another "blame this guy for us being terrible" thread.

but Buster Skrine has been straight up awful so far. he's fast and doesn't allow his receiver to run past him but that's about it. he is too small to play the ball in the air and too small/light to tackle. CB has to be a high priority this off season.


To be fair, he's a 5th rounder in his 2nd year.

Most guys drafted in that position aren't expected to be starters.

I think he's a decent talent who plays fairly well in his anticipated role of 4th corner.
_________________


First Ballot Cleveland Browns Forum Hall of Fame Inductee.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ACDC_Rocks024


Joined: 24 Jan 2007
Posts: 10721
Location: THE Ohio State University
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This can't be pinned on one single issue. But, I believe the two biggest downers for us have been playing calling in clutch situations, and all the drops our receivers have had. Both have been huge buzzkills for our offense.
_________________
Everybody Come Alive, Everybody Live Alive, Everybody LOVE ALIVE

-Jimi Hendrix
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
buno67


Joined: 15 Mar 2007
Posts: 31350
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
fatpig wrote:
not sure which thread this fits best and i didn't want to start another "blame this guy for us being terrible" thread.

but Buster Skrine has been straight up awful so far. he's fast and doesn't allow his receiver to run past him but that's about it. he is too small to play the ball in the air and too small/light to tackle. CB has to be a high priority this off season.


To be fair, he's a 5th rounder in his 2nd year.

Most guys drafted in that position aren't expected to be starters.

I think he's a decent talent who plays fairly well in his anticipated role of 4th corner.


also another reason to be fair is he did do a decent job yesterday covering some of his men but Eli was throwing perfect passes to his WRs that Joe Haden couldnt defend.

Like some ppl are expecting him to be a #1 lockdown corner. the only reason he is seeing so much playing time is because of injuries and suspensions. I think this will be a great learning experience for Buster because when Joe Haden comes back he will start facing less talented WRs. You cant blame him for getting schools by victor cruz, Cruz does that to a lot of the top DBs in the game
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
LETSGOBROWNIES


Joined: 06 Feb 2006
Posts: 7925
Location: CINCINNATI
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buno67 wrote:
LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
fatpig wrote:
not sure which thread this fits best and i didn't want to start another "blame this guy for us being terrible" thread.

but Buster Skrine has been straight up awful so far. he's fast and doesn't allow his receiver to run past him but that's about it. he is too small to play the ball in the air and too small/light to tackle. CB has to be a high priority this off season.


To be fair, he's a 5th rounder in his 2nd year.

Most guys drafted in that position aren't expected to be starters.

I think he's a decent talent who plays fairly well in his anticipated role of 4th corner.


also another reason to be fair is he did do a decent job yesterday covering some of his men but Eli was throwing perfect passes to his WRs that Joe Haden couldnt defend.

Like some ppl are expecting him to be a #1 lockdown corner. the only reason he is seeing so much playing time is because of injuries and suspensions. I think this will be a great learning experience for Buster because when Joe Haden comes back he will start facing less talented WRs. You cant blame him for getting schools by victor cruz, Cruz does that to a lot of the top DBs in the game


Absolutely.

As bad as our DB's have looked the past couple of games, we've played some good QB's.

And yes, Manning was throwing some darts out there. He's a HOFer. Buster Skrine never had a chance vs Cruz.
_________________


First Ballot Cleveland Browns Forum Hall of Fame Inductee.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JCBrowns21


Joined: 16 Sep 2008
Posts: 932
Location: Chi Town
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, the only answer is blame Holmgren and Heckert. Posted something similar in another thread a couple weeks back, but when you field a team of such young players and force them to start right away, it's a recipe for disaster or "trial by fire" to put it more optimistically.

Some believe that because we have so many 1st and 2nd year players it's a sign that we're "building the right way." I fully disagree. You need a healthy balance of vets and young players and we don't have that. Who do you expect to step up and be a leader in the WR room? The second year starter with butter fingers? The special teams star? The guy with concussion concerns?

On what team would a 4th, 5th and 6th rounder be expected to contribute right away? I'm not blaming the coaches for having to start a 4th round TE, 4th round FB, 5th round OG, and 5th round CB.

Not to mention giving significant playing time to a 4th round WR, 7th round FS, 4th round LB, etc.

I will blame the coaches for rushing Hagg into a starting role and then demoting him to the inactive roster. Seems like a terrible way to build confidence in the kid.

However, I can't blame a coach that should have never of had the job in the first place. The job will be more attractive and allow us to land a strong, reputable head coach if Shurmur is let go.

With that said, given the fact that this team is so young, I knew we would struggle. My expectations were for us to make progress as the season goes on. I'm not sure why H&H haven't used that as the talk track instead of speaking about winning more games now. Based off of their criteria, I have to lay the blame solely on them.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fatpig


Joined: 15 Apr 2008
Posts: 2368
Location: cleveland
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
buno67 wrote:
LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
fatpig wrote:
not sure which thread this fits best and i didn't want to start another "blame this guy for us being terrible" thread.

but Buster Skrine has been straight up awful so far. he's fast and doesn't allow his receiver to run past him but that's about it. he is too small to play the ball in the air and too small/light to tackle. CB has to be a high priority this off season.


To be fair, he's a 5th rounder in his 2nd year.

Most guys drafted in that position aren't expected to be starters.

I think he's a decent talent who plays fairly well in his anticipated role of 4th corner.


also another reason to be fair is he did do a decent job yesterday covering some of his men but Eli was throwing perfect passes to his WRs that Joe Haden couldnt defend.

Like some ppl are expecting him to be a #1 lockdown corner. the only reason he is seeing so much playing time is because of injuries and suspensions. I think this will be a great learning experience for Buster because when Joe Haden comes back he will start facing less talented WRs. You cant blame him for getting schools by victor cruz, Cruz does that to a lot of the top DBs in the game


Absolutely.

As bad as our DB's have looked the past couple of games, we've played some good QB's.

And yes, Manning was throwing some darts out there. He's a HOFer. Buster Skrine never had a chance vs Cruz.


i guess i was being too hard on the guy given his 5th round status and him being pressed into duty against good QBs and WRs. he just doesn't seem cut out for the job though. his size and lack of physicality work against him. i could see him being serviceable on ST and as a 4th/5th CB but its pitiful that we fielded him as a starting CB.

i just saw DP's thread about lack of FA signings... CB would've been good this past offseason. Carlos, Carr, Mathis, really any vet at the position would have been nice. CB is def something we need to address going into next season and i do think FA would be the way to go.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group