Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Outsiders Mock Offseason
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlexGreen#20

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Outsiders Mock Offseason Reply with quote

Fire the coaching staff. 4 Wins is pathetic for the amount of talent that the Lions have. Unacceptable.

New Head Coach: Vic Fangio (49ers DC)

Guy's been all over the place and has been responsible for a lot of really good defenses. Baltimore, Stanford, and the 49ers most recently. He's been Harbaugh's first mate for a long time and I think it's time he got a chance to sit in the captain's chair.

New Offensive Coordinator: Norv Turner (Former Charger's HC)

Norv was a dissapointment as a HC but it's important to remember that the reason he was in that position is that he was a genius as an OC. His style matches up with Stafford's and Calvin's playing style and he's ruled over some great offenses from the Coordinator spot. Despite the lack of success as a HC he's going to be a blistering hot commodity in the offseason.

New Defensive Coordinator: Wade Phillips (Texans DC)

Phillips is goiong to need a promotion and a pay raise to leave Houston but the pay raise that comes with being named the Assistant Head Coach might be able to get him to pack his bags and come to Detroit. I love his style of defense and think it's a brilliant hybrid of a 34 and a Wide-9. I think it's a great fit for the current talent on defense, way moreso than the current scheme.

Departing:

Steffan Logan
Titus Young
Jahvid Best
Corey Williams
Cliff Avril
Kyle Vanden Bosch
Justin Durant

(I'm not a master of the Lions cap structure. That was mostly on/off the field stuff that I've observed. Feel free to correct me on that cut list if I left somebody obvious off. I don't really get much of a chance to watch your secondary)

The Draft:

1. Star Lotuleli (NT-Utah

The Wade Phillips Defense calls for 3 D-Lineman that can get to the QB as inside rushers and do it while collapsing the pocket and cutting off running lanes. Suh and Fairley on the ends with Lotuleli in the middle is a scary front. All three guys are extraordinarily talented and it's going to be a brutal task to figure out how you're supposed to block those three with the edge rushers coming as well.

2. Dion Jordan (OLB-Oregon)

Jordan may be the most talented player in the draft. He's a FREAK athlete. He can drop into coverage and has shown some mouthwatering potential as a pass rusher. I would worry about his ability to hold up in the run game but that's something you'd work on with him.

3. Baccari Rambo (S-Georgia)

Your Safety tandem seems to get worse every time I watch the Lions. Maybe it's just a bad observation on my part but I think some legitimate talent on the back end could do wonders to fix a secondary that's raw at best and broken at worst.

5. Travis Long (OLB-Washington State)

Wade Phillips likes to send 5 guys, and Long would be the fifth (Suh, Lotuleli, Fairley, and Jordan being the other 4) Long pushes the pocket and while his sack numbers aren't fantastic he's been an extremely effective player at WASU. He's got experience standing up as well which helps him in coverage and at holding the edge.

Prentiss Wagner (DB-Tennessee)

Houston's a beast and I like Bentley a lot in the slot. Just not sure I'm in love with the other CB spot. If that spot gets settled than Wagner has experience at Safety as well so that when your Safeties get hurt like seems to always happen, you've got a guy who can play back there too.

James Wilson (G-Florida)

Wilson has been a career underachiever but has flashed talent at times. He's been very solid this year and would serve as good depth and maybe an eventual replacement for an Offensive Line that seems a bit long in the tooth on the interior.

Chad Bumphis (WR-Mississippi State)

With Logan and Young gone, you could use not only another receiver but also a guy in the return game. Bumphis is a dangerous returner as well as a decent receiver when his QB isn't incompetent. My computer is about to die so maybe I'll come back and pretty this up later.

Let me know what you think Very Happy
stylish313

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're gonna get killed for trashing our coaching staff. I'm not enamored with them though, so not from me.

1. I highly doubt Wade Phillips leaves his highly successful position in Houston, just to make a lateral move to Detroit and work for an less experienced coach than himself.

2. You call Jordan the most talented player in the draft, and expect him to last till the 2nd??? If he blows up the combine he'll be a top #10 lock. That completely changes the complexion of your mock.
AlexGreen#20

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
You're gonna get killed for trashing our coaching staff. I'm not enamored with them though, so not from me.

1. I highly doubt Wade Phillips leaves his highly successful position in Houston, just to make a lateral move to Detroit and work for an less experienced coach than himself.

2. You call Jordan the most talented player in the draft, and expect him to last till the 2nd??? If he blows up the combine he'll be a top #10 lock. That completely changes the complexion of your mock.

Both extremely valid points. Personally, I think everybody knows Jordan is going to blow up the combine, the question is where does he end up playing in the pros, which I think drops him to the top of the second round. Wouldn't be at all surprised if he ends up going top-20 but he's a guy that nobody has any idea where he's going.

It's not technically a lateral move for Philips. The guy hasn't been designated an Assistant Head Coach which comes with a pay raise. You could very well be right though. It's a bit of a pipe dream.
skatebeanz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate it. I don't wanna run a 3-4. We have eyars of drafting 4-3 guys built for our system.

What "talent"

We have a QB everyone outside of DET calls a Culpepper 2.0 which is an insult.

We have 1 WR and 3 more hurt. Do you want them to crap out talent at the 5th string? Our RB is essentially a rookie behind a line built for Passblocking.

Our line is old as it is and the OC and RG cannot get push in the run game.

Our DL is the best spot and has done well for the most part. The DEs aren't pressuring much but what do you expect from 1 good DE and the other 3 years past his prime? Our backup DEs are cast offs from other teams and a near UDFA.

Our LBs are OK but built for pass coverage. 2 of the 3 were FAs that had no other offers as far as I can remember.

The DBs are bad and the team knows it. Delmas is our only good DB and he is injury prone.

Where is all this talent?

Sig bet
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As stylish mentioned you will catch flak for canning the coaches but I wouldn't take issue if that's the direction Mayhew chooses. I don't think Wade would move either but I agree about Turner. He has a creative mind and could maximize the talent on offence.

I'm not a huge fan of switching to a 3-4 but it is easier to acquire talent for a 3-4 than a 4-3 wide 9.

I have no issue with the draft choices and think overall the mock is a very good attempt to improve roster short comings.

I also agree 4-9 is unacceptable for this Lions team. I think sometimes Lions fans are so used to losing that there is always to much faith placed on next year.

Overall a good job.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
LionsFTW

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it. Always been a huge supporter of the 34.
Tyler2015

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFTW wrote:

I agree and I think if Avril and KVB leave next year or team will be highly built for it! Needing only a True NG

daboyle250 on the sig^
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually I hate the getting new coaches moch, but you brought in 3 great coaches. Love the players we get.

To be honest, probably one of the weirdest things I've seen on this forum in a while. A Packer fan doing a (pretty good) Lions offseason mock. Laughing
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Eric Ebron
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: Martin Mayhew

R.I.P. Stylish
Jrugges

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't hate the idea of firing the coaching staff I just want more stability or credentials than another assistant coach(DC), though the 49ers DC wouldn't be "terrible". I wouldn't have a good complaint other than what I just said lol. I mean, sometimes these guys are "followers" for a reason is all I'm saying. And for once while theres plenty of already proven head coaching talent avialable for hire, why not try to hire one for once. Would it really hurt to pay Jon Gruden 7.5-10 million if he got you to the playoffs every other year and won a super-bowl durning his time?

Star Loutuleli makes this mock for me. With Suh/Loutuleli/Fairley we'd have one of the most physical fronts in the league.
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goodness what Suh, Star and Fairley could do out of that 3-4...

Team Stylish
LionsFTW

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFTW wrote:

I really really lobe this.
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFTW wrote:
LionsFTW wrote:

Does that mean its lobely?

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
LionsFTW

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
LionsFTW wrote:
LionsFTW wrote:

Does that mean its lobely?

Dang that v and b being so close.
tytalton

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the only thing missing is marinelli's son in law to coach the defensive line. I have a feeling this mock would get you 4 stars over in the GB forum but from this side it looks like the computer end of a madden trade.

People outside detroit sure don't like Schwartz coaching the lions do they? Besides being on the wrong end of almost every call the refs make week in and week out (last week wasn't too bad actually) I can only assume lots of opposing fans are scared of what Schwartz brings to the table and want him gone? The guy still has A LOT to learn but I think anyone would agree he has more than earned a chance to improve with this team. The fact that he puts his team in a position to win most week, and has a bit of animosity towards NFL darlings like the packers is probably what makes him such a target.

If anyone needs to go it is Mayhew and the scouting staff starting with the morons who scout receivers....
AlexGreen#20

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tytalton wrote:
I think the only thing missing is marinelli's son in law to coach the defensive line. I have a feeling this mock would get you 4 stars over in the GB forum but from this side it looks like the computer end of a madden trade.

People outside detroit sure don't like Schwartz coaching the lions do they? Besides being on the wrong end of almost every call the refs make week in and week out (last week wasn't too bad actually) I can only assume lots of opposing fans are scared of what Schwartz brings to the table and want him gone? The guy still has A LOT to learn but I think anyone would agree he has more than earned a chance to improve with this team. The fact that he puts his team in a position to win most week, and has a bit of animosity towards NFL darlings like the packers is probably what makes him such a target.

If anyone needs to go it is Mayhew and the scouting staff starting with the morons who scout receivers....

Uh, no?

No one is scared of Schwartz. He's 1-7 against the Packers. His winning percentage hasn't eclipsed 40% yet. Forgive me for thinking he's getting the job done.

I didn't go into this trying to damage the Lions. I went into this trying to make the best team possible. Frankly that team scares the hell out of me as a Packer fan.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: