Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Is Cam Newton who we thought he was?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boondock

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HighMotorGuy wrote:
Cam was even struggling in the pro bowl last year. How embarrassing is that?

So we are essentially going to hold na exhibition flag football game with players he's never played with before over his head? Excellent argument.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cam Newton is playing pretty poor, I swear at times today he looked like Tebow... It was pretty embarrassing. Hopefully he can turn it around.
cpanthers178990

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair to Cam, it's not like he has any help. The whole team is playing like hot garbage.

But at least we're doing it as a team.

SuperCam Career stat track.
48 GP
11,299 Pass Yards
64 Pass TDs
2032 Rush Yards
28 Rush TDs
6 4Q/OT GW Drives
n3bulous

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dcreek wrote:
Cam Newton is playing pretty poor, I swear at times today he looked like Tebow

Oh. So the Panthers won today?
I <3 Faulk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes he is. He is a young QB with loads of talent. A very dangerous weapon that will make you jump out of your seat. He will also make a couple mistakes. He's still young, and still has as much potential today as he did a year ago.

Nobody can stretch a page into oblivion like I can
bmore4life815

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time will tell with Cam. Just food for thought, though:

First 8 weeks of last year: 174/287 (60.6%), 2393 yards (8.3 YPA), 11 TD, 9 INT, 87.1 QBR; 319 yards on 63 carries (5.1 YPC), 7 TD

Final 8: 136/230 (59.1%), 1658 yards (7.2 YPA), 10 TD, 8 INT, 81.4 QBR; 387 yards on 63 carries (6.1 YPC), 7 TD

Translation: I don't agree with the "Sophomore Slump" theory, seeing as how he began to noticeably regress after the bye last year.

Cam is not the borderline top 10 QB so many made him out to be prior to the start of this year. At least not yet.

Bernard "Crush Boy" Pollard- Forever a Raven

El Ramster on the sig that isn't going anywhere

Last edited by bmore4life815 on Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mossburg

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ I don't see much regression there. Stats dipped a little, mainly the yardage, but not enough for me to say he regressed based simply on that.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -Mark Twain
bmore4life815

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mossburg wrote:
^^^ I don't see much regression there. Stats dipped a little, mainly the yardage, but not enough for me to say he regressed based simply on that.

Really? His QB rating dropped significantly, his YPA plummeted and he threw just one less pick than in the first half while attempting 50+ fewer throws.

Last edited by bmore4life815 on Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
boondock

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmore4life815 wrote:
Time will tell with Cam. Just food for thought, though:

First 8 weeks of last year: 174/287 (60.6%), 2393 yards (8.3 YPA), 11 TD, 9 INT, 87.1 QBR; 319 yards on 63 carries (5.1 YPC), 7 TD

Final 8: 136/230 (59.1%), 1658 yards (7.2 YPA), 10 TD, 8 INT, 81.4 QBR; 387 yards on 63 carries (6.1 YPC), 7 TD

Translation: I don't agree with the "Sophomore Slump" theory, seeing as how he began to noticeably regress after the bye last year.

Cam is not the borderline top 10 QB so many made him out to be prior to the start of this year. At least not yet.

The offense changed completely after the bye last year. Rivera went on record that they were looking to get Cam acquainted on a trial by fire basis, which is what they did the first half of the season. In the 2nd half, the running game was more potent and made the offense more balanced. During this time Cam made better decisions with the ball. Panthers when 4-4 down the stretch because of it.

Last edited by boondock on Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
iknowcool

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmore4life815 wrote:
Mossburg wrote:

Really? His QB rating dropped significantly, his YPA plummeted and he threw just one less pick than in the first half while attempting 50+ fewer throws.

That is because he was making better decisions and checking down more because teams were afraid of Smith deep. 6 of those 8 picks occurred in 2 games. In his final 6 games, 4 of those games he had a QB rating above 95. He was clearly a better quarterback.
bmore4life815

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iknowcool wrote:
bmore4life815 wrote:
Mossburg wrote:

That is because he was making better decisions and checking down more because teams were afraid of Smith deep. 6 of those 8 picks occurred in 2 games. In his final 6 games, 4 of those games he had a QB rating above 95. He was clearly a better quarterback.

Then why did his comp.% drop in that span? He had just three games in the second half where he completed 60% or more of his passes, compared to five in the first.

boondock

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmore4life815 wrote:
iknowcool wrote:
bmore4life815 wrote:
Mossburg wrote:

Then why did his comp.% drop in that span? He had just three games in the second half where he completed 60% or more of his passes, compared to five in the first.

A 1.5% drop is nothing that I would call significant to note.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmore4life815 wrote:
iknowcool wrote:
bmore4life815 wrote:
Mossburg wrote:

Well, to be honest, I really don't know.

But from watching him play, I don't think he regressed as the season wore on and most people noted in the GDTs he looked more mature as a QB compared to early on. Same has been the case for this season. He's just maddening inconsistent, expected for a 2nd year quarterback. He looked really good against TB sans those 2 picks. Great against the Saints. Bad against the Giants. Excellent against Atlanta. Horrific against Seattle.
bmore4life815

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boondock wrote:
bmore4life815 wrote:
iknowcool wrote:
bmore4life815 wrote:
Mossburg wrote:

But if he was checking down a lot more (according to iknowcool), then why wasn't he more accurate? If he was "clearly a better quarterback," I'd certainly expect a better comp.% under those circumstances.

J Pep 4 Step

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmore4life815 wrote:
boondock wrote:
bmore4life815 wrote:
iknowcool wrote:
bmore4life815 wrote:
Mossburg wrote:

But if he was checking down a lot more (according to iknowcool), then why wasn't he more accurate? If he was "clearly a better quarterback," I'd certainly expect a better comp.% under those circumstances.

If he was clearly regressing, and wasnt being more careful with the ball, why did he manage to throw only 3 picks (to 9 TDs thrown) in the final six games of the season? Why was his pr around 95 over that time? Why was his comp% 61%?

Did he not close out the season better than he started? Are you really not seeing improvement?

CK on the sig

Last edited by J Pep 4 Step on Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: