Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Is Cam Newton who we thought he was?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
RandyMossIsBoss


Joined: 01 Jun 2012
Posts: 18778
Location: Can't talk
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sophmore slump. Definitely needs to work on his accuracy though, big time. Looked awful out there today.
_________________


~Bird Watch 2014 | Nick Foles~
1,628 yards, 10 TDs, 7 INTs, 82.0 Passer Rating
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iknowcool


Joined: 15 Apr 2009
Posts: 13608
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmen wrote:
Another case of an athletic QB that isn't a good passer because he thinks he can rely on his legs. Another Michael Vick.

I'm just bitter because I have him on 3 fantasy teams.


What? Newton doesn't rely on his legs. If anything, he hangs in the pocket way too long instead of rolling out and trying to run. Most of his rush attempts are designed.

I ask you. Is Newton's horrible game any different than Eli's horrible games in his second year? It's a young quarterback still trying to get used to the game and I think it is safe to say Eli wasn't relying on his legs.


Last edited by iknowcool on Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mossburg


Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)
Joined: 02 Jan 2005
Posts: 43510
Location: Straight Cash Inc. Headquarters
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmen wrote:
Another case of an athletic QB that isn't a good passer because he thinks he can rely on his legs. Another Michael Vick.

I'm just bitter because I have him on 3 fantasy teams.


This would make sense if either Vick or Newton relied primarily on their legs. But since neither do, the above is completely the opposite of reality.
_________________
Equal Opportunity Hater

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -Mark Twain
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KhanYouDigIt


Joined: 03 Jan 2012
Posts: 4715
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good football player. Not a good QB.
_________________


TEDDY TEDDY TEDDY

Props to JMG on the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HighMotorGuy


Joined: 17 Sep 2012
Posts: 577
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBIB wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:
Yeah, a second year QB who set the league on fire as a rookie is done because he looks bad for now.


A trend I've noticed is that if people are initially down on a player, predict that player to fail, and that player proves them wrong, those same people will be the quickest to try to write off that player if they start to struggle in order to validate their original prediction.

Ironic there are two great examples in that game.

Cam Newton the guy people thought was going to be JaMarcus Russell. Well he shattered all the expectations last year. But now that he's having a down year (in reality his defense has played just as bad if not worse than him this year) they jump on it to say "see I was right"

The same thing with Russell Wilson. Bench Russell Wilson after ONE GAME the one game where basically one could argue none of his 3 interceptions were bad throws. One a defender took the ball away from a receiver, another he got hit as he threw, and another a receiver fell down on a game winning drive. And this is driving to make his team 3-1.

But because people thought he wouldn't pan out, they feel validate after one bad performance

Heck it's the same thing for Tim Tebow. Because Tim Tebow doesn't win a Super Bowl in his 1st year as a starter that's used as "proof" he can't ever win one

We see the same for Mike Vick.

What do these QBs have in common? They don't fit the traditional mold.

So people feel validated when they don't succeed and quickly to push them aside.

Not saying they will fail or succeed, but those who predicted failure will ALWAYS be quick to feel validated.

And it's not just QBs you can use this example for pretty much anything in life


You have a unhealthy obsession with athletic QBs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BBIB


Joined: 20 Jan 2008
Posts: 8771
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mossburg wrote:
Gmen wrote:
Another case of an athletic QB that isn't a good passer because he thinks he can rely on his legs. Another Michael Vick.

I'm just bitter because I have him on 3 fantasy teams.


This would make sense if either Vick or Newton relied primarily on their legs. But since neither do, the above is completely the opposite of reality.


Vick the QB who runs more often than any QB in history still throws the ball over 70% of the time

But facts can't get in the way of that whole narrative
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mossburg


Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)
Joined: 02 Jan 2005
Posts: 43510
Location: Straight Cash Inc. Headquarters
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBIB wrote:
Mossburg wrote:
Gmen wrote:
Another case of an athletic QB that isn't a good passer because he thinks he can rely on his legs. Another Michael Vick.

I'm just bitter because I have him on 3 fantasy teams.


This would make sense if either Vick or Newton relied primarily on their legs. But since neither do, the above is completely the opposite of reality.


Vick the QB who runs more often than any QB in history still throws the ball over 70% of the time

But facts can't get in the way of that whole narrative


Not to mention Vick's accuracy on deep and intermediate throws is immensely improved to the point where it is a legit weapon that the Eagles rely on every single game.
_________________
Equal Opportunity Hater

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -Mark Twain
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
J Pep 4 Step


Joined: 01 Apr 2007
Posts: 30044
Location: Greenvillain, NC
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

El ramster wrote:
iknowcool wrote:
I said it in the Carolina forum but the expectations people have for a 23 year old quarterback still trying to adjust to the NFL is a tad too high. Of course he's going to have poor performances. Last week, he tore up a Mike Nolan defense. This week, he had a bad game against arguably the best defense in the NFL (and for my money, they certainly rival SFs).

He looked pathetic out there. As a matter of fact, I've not seen someone quarterbacking Carolina look that bad since Clausen v. Pittsburgh. But it was 1 game. Off of a game where he looked excellent against one of the NFL's best defenses through the first 5 weeks. Which came off a game where he looked bad. Which came off a game where he looked excellent. Which came off a game where he looked average.

Point is, he's an inconsistent 23 year old quarterback who has shown a ton of promise. It's a frustrating thing but to be expected. It isn't like he's looked consistently awful like other QBs.

Also, while I still think Chud is a great offensive coordinator, I wish we'd work Newton under center more. I think the zone read option is effective but I see no reason why with Williams and Stewart we can't run power and then utilize the playaction off of it. With Olsen and Smith, it'd be deadly.



You see why we defend Sam yes?? Do you see know why?

Like I stated before. The perception of young QB's have been destroyed. If you're not winning 10+ games you automatically suck.
It gets extremely frustrating as a fan base. But whatcha gonna do about it?


You say that like we didnt realize that before Bradfords sophmore season.

We all pretty much understand how it works.
_________________

CK on the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
J Pep 4 Step


Joined: 01 Apr 2007
Posts: 30044
Location: Greenvillain, NC
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teamorange wrote:
nixa37 wrote:
HighMotorGuy wrote:
Mossburg wrote:
Didn't see this coming.

Rename this to Overreaction Week 5 thread, please.


LOL at overreaction. Have you watched him play? He looks like Tebow out there without the winning.

Coming into to today's game he was throwing for 250 yards a game with a 63.6% completion percentage and a 9.5 YPA this season. Last year Tebow averaged 125 yards a game with a 46.5% completion percentage with a 6.4 YPA. Yes, he's looked bad in this one game, but for the season he has been nowhere near the horror show throwing the ball that Tebow was last year.


I like how you conveniently forget to mention that he also has 5 ints and the bulk of his numbers comes when his team is out of the game. He was a garbage time QB last year and he really has improved much this year. He runs a gimmicky offense and I really don't see him being more than a slightly above average QB.


You clearly, CLEARLY are just talking to talk. You have no idea what you are talking about, but you are determined to talk anyway. The Panthers were in almost every game last season.

(lifted from tb)

Quote:
Week 1- Panthers winning 21-14 in the 4th at Arizona
Week 2- Panthers down 7 in the 4th to GB
Week 3- Panthers win against Jacksonville in the worst rain storm I've ever seen
Week 4- Panthers down 4 at Chicago w/ 8 minutes to go
Week 5- Panthers winning by 4 in the 4th against NO
Week 6- Panthers tied w/ 7 minutes remaining at ATL
Week 7- Panthers win against Washington
Week 8- Panthers down 3 against Minnesota, Cam drives team late 4th quarter only for the kicker to miss a 31 yard FG
Week 9- Tennessee treats Cam like a rookie
Week 10- Panthers tied w/ 5 minutes remaining at Detroit (lose by 2 TD's)
Week 11- Panthers win at Colts
Week 12- Panthers win at Bucs
Week 13- Panthers winning by 6 in the 4th against ATL
Week 14- Panthers win at Houston (#2 ranked defense in the NFL)... yes I know Schaub was injured...
Week 15- Panthers win against Bucs
Week 16- Saints drub the Panthers


Where was the garbage time? I mean, inasmuch as he is a "garbage time QB" in comparison to other QBs in the NFL.

And what "gimmicky" offense are you talking about???
_________________

CK on the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
J Pep 4 Step


Joined: 01 Apr 2007
Posts: 30044
Location: Greenvillain, NC
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HighMotorGuy wrote:
BBIB wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:
Yeah, a second year QB who set the league on fire as a rookie is done because he looks bad for now.


A trend I've noticed is that if people are initially down on a player, predict that player to fail, and that player proves them wrong, those same people will be the quickest to try to write off that player if they start to struggle in order to validate their original prediction.

Ironic there are two great examples in that game.

Cam Newton the guy people thought was going to be JaMarcus Russell. Well he shattered all the expectations last year. But now that he's having a down year (in reality his defense has played just as bad if not worse than him this year) they jump on it to say "see I was right"

The same thing with Russell Wilson. Bench Russell Wilson after ONE GAME the one game where basically one could argue none of his 3 interceptions were bad throws. One a defender took the ball away from a receiver, another he got hit as he threw, and another a receiver fell down on a game winning drive. And this is driving to make his team 3-1.

But because people thought he wouldn't pan out, they feel validate after one bad performance

Heck it's the same thing for Tim Tebow. Because Tim Tebow doesn't win a Super Bowl in his 1st year as a starter that's used as "proof" he can't ever win one

We see the same for Mike Vick.

What do these QBs have in common? They don't fit the traditional mold.

So people feel validated when they don't succeed and quickly to push them aside.

Not saying they will fail or succeed, but those who predicted failure will ALWAYS be quick to feel validated.

And it's not just QBs you can use this example for pretty much anything in life


You have a unhealthy obsession with athletic QBs.


And you have an unhealthy obsession with Cam Newton.

Fair?
_________________

CK on the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BBIB


Joined: 20 Jan 2008
Posts: 8771
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J Pep 4 Step wrote:
teamorange wrote:
nixa37 wrote:
HighMotorGuy wrote:
Mossburg wrote:
Didn't see this coming.

Rename this to Overreaction Week 5 thread, please.


LOL at overreaction. Have you watched him play? He looks like Tebow out there without the winning.

Coming into to today's game he was throwing for 250 yards a game with a 63.6% completion percentage and a 9.5 YPA this season. Last year Tebow averaged 125 yards a game with a 46.5% completion percentage with a 6.4 YPA. Yes, he's looked bad in this one game, but for the season he has been nowhere near the horror show throwing the ball that Tebow was last year.


I like how you conveniently forget to mention that he also has 5 ints and the bulk of his numbers comes when his team is out of the game. He was a garbage time QB last year and he really has improved much this year. He runs a gimmicky offense and I really don't see him being more than a slightly above average QB.


You clearly, CLEARLY are just talking to talk. You have no idea what you are talking about, but you are determined to talk anyway. The Panthers were in almost every game last season.

(lifted from tb)

Quote:
Week 1- Panthers winning 21-14 in the 4th at Arizona
Week 2- Panthers down 7 in the 4th to GB
Week 3- Panthers win against Jacksonville in the worst rain storm I've ever seen
Week 4- Panthers down 4 at Chicago w/ 8 minutes to go
Week 5- Panthers winning by 4 in the 4th against NO
Week 6- Panthers tied w/ 7 minutes remaining at ATL
Week 7- Panthers win against Washington
Week 8- Panthers down 3 against Minnesota, Cam drives team late 4th quarter only for the kicker to miss a 31 yard FG
Week 9- Tennessee treats Cam like a rookie
Week 10- Panthers tied w/ 5 minutes remaining at Detroit (lose by 2 TD's)
Week 11- Panthers win at Colts
Week 12- Panthers win at Bucs
Week 13- Panthers winning by 6 in the 4th against ATL
Week 14- Panthers win at Houston (#2 ranked defense in the NFL)... yes I know Schaub was injured...
Week 15- Panthers win against Bucs
Week 16- Saints drub the Panthers


Where was the garbage time? I mean, inasmuch as he is a "garbage time QB" in comparison to other QBs in the NFL.

And what "gimmicky" offense are you talking about???


I understand your passion but if you're dealing with bonafide haters they won't let facts get in the way of their opinion

You have to understand that some people predicted Cam Newton would be a complete NFL bust.

Remember he was another QB who wore #2 with a big arm coming out of the SEC West that went #1 overall.

They also thought he was dumb as rocks because of the simplified playcalling and the whole Jon Gruden exchange where Gruden asked him to give him an example of a playcall. And Cam set something to the tone of "awww man you put me on the spot. ..... we run 82 blue"

THis just reinforced what was reality in their minds that Cam Newton was just another JaMarcus Russell

Then he set the league on fire and even shattered Peyton Manning rookie passing records. Something well beyond what the haters could conceive

So you have to understand how many take solace in the fact that Cam is struggling right now.

For them it's validation of their original prediction that he's a bust
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Django


Joined: 03 May 2012
Posts: 2978
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBIB wrote:
Mossburg wrote:
Gmen wrote:
Another case of an athletic QB that isn't a good passer because he thinks he can rely on his legs. Another Michael Vick.

I'm just bitter because I have him on 3 fantasy teams.


This would make sense if either Vick or Newton relied primarily on their legs. But since neither do, the above is completely the opposite of reality.


Vick the QB who runs more often than any QB in history still throws the ball over 70% of the time

But facts can't get in the way of that whole narrative


Quit with the Vick stuff. He's been figured out.

We go back a long ways BBIB. I've been proven right about him.

The initials "C.N.V" ring a bell? Featured bits of QBs names..Think long and hard about it. Your nemesis on these boards has returned Twisted Evil

And yes Vick, Cam are game by game proving to be frauds. And here I liked Cam as a QB at one time. Now he's regressed like Josh Freeman like year.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
J Pep 4 Step


Joined: 01 Apr 2007
Posts: 30044
Location: Greenvillain, NC
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Django wrote:
BBIB wrote:
Mossburg wrote:
Gmen wrote:
Another case of an athletic QB that isn't a good passer because he thinks he can rely on his legs. Another Michael Vick.

I'm just bitter because I have him on 3 fantasy teams.


This would make sense if either Vick or Newton relied primarily on their legs. But since neither do, the above is completely the opposite of reality.


Vick the QB who runs more often than any QB in history still throws the ball over 70% of the time

But facts can't get in the way of that whole narrative


Quit with the Vick stuff. He's been figured out.

We go back a long ways BBIB. I've been proven right about him.

The initials "C.N.V" ring a bell? Featured bits of QBs names..Think long and hard about it. Your nemesis on these boards has returned Twisted Evil

And yes Vick, Cam are game by game proving to be frauds. And here I liked Cam as a QB at one time. Now he's regressed like Josh Freeman like year.


Sure you did, big guy. Rolling Eyes Laughing

Nothing says impartiality like calling a player a fraud after a bad game or 2.

And again, what did teams "figure out" about Vick?
_________________

CK on the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NextBigThing


Joined: 26 Oct 2009
Posts: 22782
Location: Beat Of My Own Drum
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This playboy can ball. He was no randy as a rookie, and i dont think hes even better than rg3, but he gots a cannon and some speed to smoke...problem is they need T.O. Idea Twisted Evil
_________________
A sunny disposition is worth more than fortune. Young people should know that it can be cultivated; that the mind like the body can be moved from the shade into sunshine. Thine own reproach alone do fear
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gmen


Joined: 20 Jul 2007
Posts: 15736
Location: Myyyyy precioussss
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iknowcool wrote:
Gmen wrote:
Another case of an athletic QB that isn't a good passer because he thinks he can rely on his legs. Another Michael Vick.

I'm just bitter because I have him on 3 fantasy teams.


What? Newton doesn't rely on his legs. If anything, he hangs in the pocket way too long instead of rolling out and trying to run. Most of his rush attempts are designed.

I ask you. Is Newton's horrible game any different than Eli's horrible games in his second year? It's a young quarterback still trying to get used to the game and I think it is safe to say Eli wasn't relying on his legs.

Here is the difference - Eli had to learn to pass, or else he would be out of the league. Athletic QBs don't learn to pass because they think they can get by with their legs. It's like the pretty girl that doesn't need college because she thinks she can get by with her looks.
_________________


"Has courage and poise. In my opinion, most of all, he has that quality you can't define. Call it magic."

- Ernie Accorsi scouting report of Eli
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group