Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Arizona Cardinals Draft Talk Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stchamp98

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boise&cards Fan wrote:
So who are some good looking Rb in this draft. i like that Kid from Standford.

Stepfan Taylor 5-11 215 pounds

taylor's pretty good, yeah. I've seen two Stanford games this year, he's defintiely a good one.

Have to be watching RBs more closely now.
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chg91 wrote:
khodder wrote:
If we go OLB I don't want to until early middle rounds and I don't want an athlete who is going to struggle to get into the game mentally. We all know how much mental errors kill this defense, we cannot afford them.

I'm the opposite. We already have Sam Acho as our smart-but-not-physically-dominant pass rusher, I want a complete animal opposite of him. Not saying the team should sacrifice everything else for combine numbers, but I'd rather lean in that direction than another Acho-type. Playbooks can be learned/genetics can't, and all that.

I am looking at the risk/reward type scenario. While those physical freaks usually present some tremendous upside they also carry a lot of risk with him, while Acho has probably displayed more upside that we ever thought he could so far in his career, he also came in with quite a low floor being technically sound and very smart.

With the way we tend to run the defense, lots of blitzing, lots of different names getting the pressure, we don't really have the need for a freak of nature pass rusher what we need is another cog in the machine that is going to get his 8-10 sacks a season, play assignment football, play well against the run and not make mistakes.

I would rather go for the smart assignment guy in the late 2nd/3rd round than that atheltic freak in the top 10. If there is a guy that combines those traits then by all means go after him, but I don't think that OLB pass rusher is as important to us as many beleive.

We are 2nd in the NFL in sacks yet nobody has more than 4, and that is one of our ILB's.

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regards RB's I would rather build up a line and then plug a back in behind that then go for another back in the top 100.

If you can get an offensive line that is good enough you can plug in most backs behind them and get 4.0 YPC and a solid back can get you 4.5ish.

Boise&cards Fan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
With regards RB's I would rather build up a line and then plug a back in behind that then go for another back in the top 100.

If you can get an offensive line that is good enough you can plug in most backs behind them and get 4.0 YPC and a solid back can get you 4.5ish.

But will the team really do that. I agree with you but I not so sure Whiz would do that.

That right I won. Thank you NS922 for the Sig.

Last edited by Boise&cards Fan on Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boise&cards Fan wrote:
khodder wrote:

Put will the team really do that. I agree with you but I not so sure Whiz whould do that.

No idea, from the looks of how we have gone in the past, no, but hopefully we learn at least a little from our mistakes.

stchamp98

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boise&cards Fan wrote:
khodder wrote:

Put will the team really do that. I agree with you but I not so sure Whiz whould do that.

Bingo. That and will we ever commit to an offense that will make that happen.

For all the guff he gets here, if Levi were healthy and Snyder were healthy and/or up to par, Grimm would have a perfectly functional run blocking line here.
#1CARDSFAN

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That kid from Wisconsin as a RB. May have to take him in the first round though.
stchamp98

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1CARDSFAN wrote:
That kid from Wisconsin as a RB. May have to take him in the first round though.

Montee Ball? He'll be around on the 3rd day.

Wisconsin RBs are purely products of an extremely RB friendly environment. None of them have actually ever been truly elite talents.
#1CARDSFAN

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
#1CARDSFAN wrote:

Wisconsin RBs are purely products of an extremely RB friendly environment. None of them have actually ever been truly elite talents.

I would take him if that was the case. Then again there isn't many RB's worth a first rounder anymore.
younggun1273

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1CARDSFAN wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:
#1CARDSFAN wrote:

I would take him if that was the case. Then again there isn't many RB's worth a first rounder anymore.

He has so much milage on those legs as well... You want a healthy RB, and while he has been healthy, he has taken a major pounding over the years.

I agree that the line should be built first than get any RB to plug in back there. I think Mike Shanahan got that right in Denver and this offensive line really needs improvement. Get a healthy Levi or new left tackle, replace Snyder and get Massie more improved, than this line will be significantly better.

Justo on the sig
stchamp98

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

younggun1273 wrote:
#1CARDSFAN wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:
#1CARDSFAN wrote:

He has so much milage on those legs as well... You want a healthy RB, and while he has been healthy, he has taken a major pounding over the years.

We have a winner.

Wisconsin bacxks rarely contribute to the pass game either. Ball is certainly no different in that aspect.
stchamp98

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for reference for those who don't know Barkevious Mingo, he's 6'4" 240 and projected to run in the high 4.4's but he's only got 1 sack this season and it came against Towson.
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
Just for reference for those who don't know Barkevious Mingo, he's 6'4" 240 and projected to run in the high 4.4's but he's only got 1 sack this season and it came against Towson.

Biggest thing for me with pass rushers is their first 2-3 yards and their COD skills.

That is why I go with 10 yard splits (Not only shows their acceleration across the first few steps, but also gauges reaction time) and then look at things like Short Shuttle and 3 Cone to see how well and how fast they move in small spaces and confined areas.

If a player aces those areas with requiste size then they have the athleticism to play the position.

stchamp98

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:

Biggest thing for me with pass rushers is their first 2-3 yards and their COD skills.

That is why I go with 10 yard splits (Not only shows their acceleration across the first few steps, but also gauges reaction time) and then look at things like Short Shuttle and 3 Cone to see how well and how fast they move in small spaces and confined areas.

If a player aces those areas with requiste size then they have the athleticism to play the position.

That shouldn't be an issue for Mingo, I simply used the 40 because that's what registers with most people.

This is the classic measureables vs. production argument.
stchamp98

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is NFLDraftScout's top 32 big board as of 10-4-2012:

1. Johnathan Hankins, DT Ohio State
2. Jarvis Jones, OLB Georgia
3. Star Lotulelei, DT Utah
4. Geno Smith, QB West Virginia
5. Barkevious Mingo, DE/OLB LSU
6. Matt Barkley, QB USC
7. Bjoern Werner, DE Florida State
8. Luke Joeckel, OT Texas A&M
9. Keenan Allen, WR California
10. Manti Te'o, ILB Notre Dame
11. Jake Matthews, OT Texas A&M
12. Chance Warmack, OG Alabama
13. Kawann Short, DT Purdue
14. Sam Montgomery, DE LSU
15. Barrett Jones, OL Alabama
16. Johnthan Banks, CB Mississippi State
17. Dee Milliner, CB Alabama
18. Justin Hunter, WR Tennessee
19. Eric Reid, FS LSU
20. Taylor Lewan, OT Michigan
21. Kenny Vaccaro, SS Texas
22. Robert Woods, WR USC
23. Alex Okafor, DE Texas
24. Alec Ogletree, ILB Georgia
25. Terrance Williams, WR Baylor
26. Jackson Jeffcoat, DE/OLB Texas
27. Johnathan Jenkins, DT Georgia
28. Johnathan Cooper, OG North Carolina
29. Corey Lemonier, DE Auburn
30. Oday Aboushi, OT Virginia
31. Dion Jordan, DE/OLB Oregon
32. Tyler Wilson, QB Arkansas

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 4 of 100

Jump to: